August 21, 2014 | 1871 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Laura Mercier - Secret Finish

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2005 3:52:00 PM More reviews by Scout12

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is really a little gem for quick touch ups and for turning cakey hours old make up inte looking decent again. It took me a while to get tha hang of how to use it and understanding what it could really do. But now it is something I always try to keep handy. What it is is really a kind of primer combined with a potent non oily moisturizer that lightly patted on top of your make up can turn an over powdered look into a glowing complexion. There is really no end to what use you can get from this little secret. But I find it does it's absolutely best job patted on top of or even under concealer under the eyes. If you have read any reviews of mine on the concealer topics, you know I'm not a true fan of those, since they usually put way too much emphasize on the lines around the eyes, just making me look older. But with this I can keep it from drying up too much throughout the day or night. You must use it lighly and sparingly though. Otherwise it will just smear around your make up. But once you learn how to use it it will soon become a true little secret friend...

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2005 10:34:00 PM More reviews by beautifulscorpio83

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

this stuff seams like such a good idea a product that brightens you up after applying powdery makeup. i was a little skeptical at first but i just patted a little bit on and it did seem to make my loose powder seem less "powdery" and dry. a must for ladies with dry skin who use loose powders or powder foundations, i don't have dry skin( i'm acne-prone) but my skin does seem a bit dry after i apply powder and this seems to work so far! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2005 3:27:00 AM More reviews by indiatree

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This product is NOT a highligher/shimmer product. There is no mica or any other light reflective particles in this product. I checked the ingredient list very carefully and verified it with the company via email.

It is a cream that was designed with a very specific texture in order to be patted on after foundation and powder to give a moist glow to the skin. I have been looking for a product like this and was trying to use various moisturizers to achieve this effect. Nothing worked as well as this product for this purpose. You need very little and it allows me to achieve a moist, non greasy glow without adding shimmer / glitter which I don't want all the time.

The problem with the product is that it contains fragrance. It is subtle, but it seems odd to include fragrance in a product that is intended to be used around in eye area. (It is designed to be used anywhere on the face, but the instructions indicate to pay special attention to the eye area which tends to be dry).

This would be a sure fire winner if it were made fragrance-free. I still like it though, and so far, the fragrance hasn't caused my skin any problems.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/20/2005 10:18:00 PM More reviews by dustgirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Why did I buy this? The MA made it seem very appealing...I love a dewy, glowy look, but this is just not worth the $36 CAN price tag for the small amount you get. It's not a terrible product, just rather unnecessary imho. I only use it occasionally when I get that not so smooth look (dry skin days) and feel like I need to "refresh" my makeup. I think you'd get a similar result patting on a good moisturizer myself. Honestly if you follow the LM counter's MA's advice you end up leaving with a ton of products and steps to do for basically one thing, heh. All I wanted was a TM!!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/12/2005 9:10:00 PM More reviews by pejtw

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

does take off makeup if not applied properly... needs to be smudged between fingers then gently patted on.
is NOT like moisturiser at all... moisturiser sinks in...this stuff sits on your skin and makes you glow in a very natural way...not pearly or glittery and fake like other cheap highlighters...
just apply properly and you will glow naturally and beautifully. rated this 5 because i hav the right skin... make sure this product is for you before buying,and you ask the makeup artist how to apply properly

rated 2 of 5 on 7/5/2005 3:55:00 PM More reviews by grouch

I wouldnt bother with this if I were you. Its appears quite lightweight initially, but once its applied, after a short while it makes my face look gunky and greasy, not fresh and dewy.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/7/2005 8:32:00 PM More reviews by rleigh2

I told the sales girl I wanted that dewey finish and she said she had the perfect product - Secret Finish - I don't think so! You may as well pat some lubriderm on your cheeks... it will do the same thing. Don't waste your money.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2004 11:39:00 AM More reviews by Julsbowm

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've found that this doesn't make a huge difference to my skin, but I think it's because I use Mercier's tinted moisuriser which keeps me pretty dewy looking anyway. This product seems to come into its own for women who wear a foundation and/or are a bit older. My mum is in her mid-50s and has good skin that she evens out with a foundation & powder, and on her Secret Finish was a revelation. She looked wonderfully glow-y and almost un-made-up. A great product for the right person.
Update: three years later I've started using Lilly Lolo mineral base, and its drier finish is perfected by a dab of Secret Finish around my temples. My initial sense that Secret Finish is best at making make-up look lighter and more natural has been confirmed several times over. Recommended.
Update II: And another three years after my last update, I am completely in love with this product and have upgraded it from a 4 to a 5. I am nearly 40 now and the non-shiny, non-sparkly glow-giving properties of Secret Finish have a definite place in my make-up kit. This is for those of us whose formerly oily or combination skin is starting to turn dry and show less youthful glow. Love, love, love it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2004 5:20:00 PM More reviews by singwritenow

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is another product I swooned over in the beginning but the spark soon faded when I discovered Smashbox Softlights Smashing Shimmer. I don't think I would repurchase because I prefer a powder highligher vs. a cream but it was fun while the infatuation lasted.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/7/2004 2:51:00 AM More reviews by VanessaGene

I like the dewy look it gives.
I really should try using it more often.