August 22, 2014 | 1103 users online

Highlighters - E.L.F. - Shimmering Facial Whip in Lilac Petal

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2012 6:16:00 PM More reviews by phylicianyleen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I LOVED this product! I used some right under my eyebrows for definition and I also put some on the apple of my cheeks. My skin tone is a natural beige and I was happy that the color really didn't show up on my skin as a blush but as a glow. It highlighted my cheeks wonderfully and doesn't make them look oily or feel greasy at all! I am a waitress so I hate when my make-up starts to feel icky after a few hours of running around. I am in love! I don't like blushes much but I was looking for something to add a natural, beautiful glow to my skin without looking like glitter. I am definitely repurchasing this product! I am probably going to use this every single day! So happy :)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/27/2012 11:56:00 PM More reviews by palefawn

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Grey

I do overall really like this product, a nice highlighter, especially for the price!

Some things to watch out for, though, is that if you're applying it over foundation or something, be very delicate with it as it could mess up the look of your foundation.

Also, both of mine (I had this one and the more white-colored one) separated after some time to the point where it was literally just water spurting out. I didn't use mine very often though, so if you use it up before it gets to that point you won't have a problem!

Like I said, overall I love this product. It's a nice shimmery highlighter without being TOO crazy!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2012 1:23:00 AM More reviews by mooshrimp

I'll start by saying I'm a big ELF fan. I know there are some who just really don't get along with products from this brand. I was putting together an order and was a couple dollars short of the free shipping so I grabbed this. I have always used powder highlights so getting the hang of this was a little tricky, but boy am I glad I did try!

First I hate the tube. I can never get the right amount out. I always get too much and then try to apply it and look like a unicorn sneezed on my face or something. But if I can get the right amount onto my face, it is the most beautiful highlight. I take a little on my finger and dab it up in the "C" shape and then very quickly blend it with a highlighter brush (looks like a large eyeshadow blending brush). You should only work on one cheek at a time because this stuff does dry very very quickly. I actually haven't gotten it to work under my brow bone yet because it just dries too fast and looks crusty up in my eyebrows!

The absolute easiest way to use this though, so it doesn't dry and get disgusting and gunky is to just mix in some primer. If you mix it with lotion you'll rub off your base layer, but primer is less likely to do it. That gives it a much more workable texture.

As a cheek highlight, it is a really gorgeous shade. I've never used Benefit Hi-beam so I can't compare, but compared to my powder highlighter it's much glowier. It seems to last a long time, I did not experience any of the splotchiness other reviewers described, and it was a very subtle sheen. I'm really happy with this highlighter!

Also I noticed that there was an orange scent and I thought I'd hate it, but I actually really like it. I normally detest scented cosmetics, but this is pretty subtle. Kind of like if someone is peeling an orange in the same room.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2012 10:06:00 PM More reviews by Theaflower

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

For a dollar? This is a fabulous highlighter though a bit hard to blend--no real problem though as this product is so beautiful. Can't wait to try some of the other color tones (there is a peach one too!) Go buy some you won't regret it! PS I have Nars Orgasm highlighter, Chanel, Lorac, Revlon etc. etc. and this is my current favorite!!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2012 6:50:00 PM More reviews by curlygirl03

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Comparable to Benefit's high beam. This highlighter is pretty, good for day and night, long lasting, easily blendable, works with a multitude of skin tones, multifunctional, and only 1.00 ! I don't have anything negative to say about this highlighter. It's by far my favorite out of any one I've ever tried. I love it.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/18/2012 12:20:00 PM More reviews by LiliRoseVoice

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I really like this product because it highlights without looking greasy, feels light on the skin and doesn't break me out. The colour is very subtle: it looks quite pinky/lilac-y in the tube but goes on like a cool toned sheen. I'm pretty pale (nc15) and this looked really fresh and natural on me. The price is unbeatable, there is no chunky glitter and it feels great. I really recommend trying this if you are looking for a smooth hightlighter.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2012 10:24:00 AM More reviews by Rosie03

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased E.L.F.'s facial whip in lilac petal for $1 at Target. It comes in this little plastic tube with a very similar looking liquid as Benefit's High Beam. Even though it says lilac, it was more pinkish to me. It lasted just as long as Benefit's High Beam and the coloring was the same. The formula didn't feel heavy on my face and it didn't cause me to get oily like the High Beam. Since the applicator is a tube, you would just squeeze it out and you're not touching the inside of the container and the rest of the product.

ELF's Essential Shimmering Facial Whip was a great dupe for Benefit's High Beam. the container is less heavy, application is more sanitary and the results are the same for WAAAY CHEAPER! and there's more colors to choose from on their website.

Quick update: the tube gets messy - for some reason, the product oozes out a little while your twisting the cap back on. I just wipe it and move on...

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2012 5:25:00 PM More reviews by sayshal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I picked this up at target since it was only a dollar. It works great as a highlighter. I put a little on my cheekbones and under the brow bone and it just takes my basic daily makeup to next level. For a dollar this is fantastic. I've used other cream highlighters before that were a lot more expensive and there isn't a difference in quality between this one at a dollar, and others at $15 +. This product also does not make me break out.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/15/2012 11:40:00 PM More reviews by DonnaJazzhands

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Great little highlighter/ multi-use product! The lilac color is probably suitable for all skin tones too. I like that it's not a bulky package, it's only $1, and it has a nice fruity smell. I use this on my cheeks, and my eyelids. And since it's only $1 you can grab an extra tube to keep in your purse for touch ups. Pretty great in my book.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2012 12:49:00 PM More reviews by jskellis

Pure shimmer, no glitter in this highlighter! Definitely a good dupe for high beam at a fraction of the cost. A little bit highlights my skin beautifully with a slightly cool white-pink sheen.

I tried it on my eyelids and it looked BEAUTIFUL but it wore away fairly quickly. I'm going to get the elf primer and try to use them together for better results. I'll also order in some other shades as well.