April 20, 2014 | 1618 users online

Treatments - Lavender Essential Oil

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2012 10:52:00 PM More reviews by hoku

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Overall: 5

Price: 2 (Economical!)

Packaging: 3

Buy again: Yes

-----------------------------------------------

I bought Lavender Essential Oil a few years ago because I heard it was good for acne (like Tea tree oil). I forgot that I had it for a while, until I saw some reviews, so it made me dig it out and I have to say, it's really great. I've been using Tea Tree oil for a long time for some blemishes, but I find that sometimes the tea tree oil isn't very effective. When I use Lavender oil, I find that my blemishes dry out and heal a bit faster than if I use Tea tree oil. Lavender oil is my secret weapon for BIG under the skin cystic acne; after a few days it shrinks down to nothing without ever coming to a head!

For both TTO and Lavender, I just apply it straight, undiluted with my clean fingertip to affected areas. Then I mix 1-2 drops into my skincare lotions to gently treat my whole face. The smell of lavender calms me (took some time to get used to though), so it's a great nighttime ritual.

Packaging wise, I'm "meh". Mine comes in a dark amber glass bottle with a funny stopper in the top that makes it a little tricky to dispense 1 drop at a time; I find I'll usually get anywhere between 2-5 drops so some days I end up with more in my hand than I originally wanted. But otherwise, I don't really mind the packaging much; I like the dark glass, which protects the oils from light degradation.

I am so glad I found this and tried it out. I highly recommend!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2012 10:15:00 AM More reviews by hwnpunch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Lavender EO is a multi-purpose household essential for me. I use it with tea tree oil in simple skin care formulations like aloe based moisturizers for summer that don't break me out and in a candelilla based skin balm for bug bites or minor skin irritations. It's great for aromatherapy or as a natural air freshener but I prefer to blend it with other essential oils for that. With the possible exception of Tea Tree oil I would never use this or any other EO "neat" on the skin or undiluted for any purpose and as far as I know it isn't recommended either. EO's can be extremely irritating undiluted and should be blended with a carrier oil, aloe or even water if you are using it as an air freshener. I know that the smell can be overwhelming for me undiluted and can cause a headache instead of soothing one. If you're using it straight and have had success than great but I usually start with a 1% dilution which is about 5-6 drops of EO per 1oz of carrier/aloe/water etc. You can increase the % if you'd like or start with less and there are plenty of sites with recommended blending rates online. Paula Begoun claimed that this EO caused cell death and I've seen another reviewer repeat this claim on another product. Concerned that one of my favorite staples could be causing more harm than good I did a bit of research online and found that statement to be just a tad misleading. All I could find to back that up were online references to one in vitro study in 2004 by University of Westminster's School of Biosciences in London that has never been repeated and drew the conclusion that Lavender EO may not be safe to use during pregnancy but is also one of the mildest EO's with many benefits including wound healing. There is nothing to suggest that it's gonna damage the skin of a fully formed human being unless they are already sensitive to it or are using too much and it's causing irritation. Common sense dictates that anything that irritates my skin is gonna cause some damage and some cells are gonna die in the process. I didn't need Paula Begoun to tell me that.

33 out of 34 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2012 12:49:00 PM More reviews by cleo777

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

You really can't beat lavender oil for pretty much everything. I get mine from the Sage store--it is good for your skin/hair and it is very relaxing. VERY. One Sunday afternoon I decided to throw some in the diffuser. I was wide awake, reading my book and the next thing I knew I was waking up from a sound sleep and I wasn't even tired!! That's how relaxing it is. I don't know why everyone refers to it as an "old lady" smell--just because it's been around as long as Larry King lol. I think the scent is wonderful. I remember going to a country fair with my Mom and buying bags of the fresh lavender, and then going home and making our own sachets--we would include them in gifts also--great for the undies drawer! It just keeps everything smelling fresh, and bugs don't like it either. Yay lavender!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2012 6:36:00 AM More reviews by GreyHuman

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

A lot of the prices are expensive for a little bottle, but this stuff does work. If you have acne/blemishes this will help you. But be patient. It will take about maybe a week or close to see a difference.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2012 2:19:00 PM More reviews by myannabellee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Lavender essential oil is one of the most versatile EOs out there. I massage my clean face with it every night and wake up the next day with clear, fresh skin.
It is antiseptic, anti-viral, anti-inflammatory, a bactericide, soothing, and wonderful.
I use it directly on new blemishes to prevent them from advancing, and it works every time.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2012 4:10:00 PM More reviews by misterhankey

A friend of mine did a holistic therapy course about 10 years ago and told me I could use lavender directly on my skin to treat cuts etc. I didn't believe that it wouldn't sting, but it didn't, and now, years later, I use nothing else. I put it on bites, stings, and bruises, and dab it on spots. I smell like an old lady but my cuts heal really quickly and never get infected. Nature's absolute best.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/6/2012 4:25:00 PM More reviews by kellay

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I was really excited about using this, and I used it as a spot treatment on acne. It helped my pimples a little bit and absorbed pretty well, but a week or so later, I had clusters of 5-6 pimples/bumps in the areas where I applied it. Definitely scared to try this again! It was the worse something had broken me out, and obviously due to the lavender oil. I believed I used aura cacia brand, but I've since thrown the bottle away. This very well may be good for other things, but it was terrible for my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/29/2012 8:40:00 PM More reviews by Kyu

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love the scent of lavender, it's relaxing plus the oil is antimicrobial and antifungal...just make sure you get a pure (or organic!) brand and not a "fragrance oil" which is synthetic and not natural!

I use few drops of it in a small spray bottle with purified water or with rose water, mostly on my scalp and hair though I started to enjoying it as a after shower body spray as well. I had problems with my scalp recently (break outs, falling hair, lifeless hair) and in less than one week with daily spraying on my head and hair I saw a big improvement! I also read it makes hair grow faster or it helps with alopecia...I don't know about that but my hair definitively look way better than before and they smell wonderful.

I also use lavender oil when that monthly pimple may occur. It's amazing how it dries it up fast! If you are going to use it for acne make sure to do a test before applying it undiluted on your skin...if you get itchy or if it burns too much you will need to put few drops in distilled water or boiled water instead (for me it works the same as undiluted).

I occasionally spray it on my bed linens for a sweet and deep, restoring night sleep.

I just think that every family should keep lavender oil in their home...once you discover it, you will make sure to always have it with you!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2012 8:19:00 AM More reviews by missmelodya

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

been using tisserand pure essential lavender oil. started using this neat on freshly washed skin right before bed in a last attempt to combat mini-pill triggered hormonal acne. WOW. cysts that took weeks to heal and left scarring have all but completely disappeared within 5 nights. no scarring, no flakiness, no crazy scabbing. honestly wish i'd tried this sooner. this works better for me than any topical solution marketed for acne.

between this and hydrogen peroxide, i have found the most useful, inexpensive, non irritating method for controlling (dare i say defeating?) hormonal acne. this has worked wonders for my sensitive combination skin, and considering lavender oils multiple uses you really have nothing to lose by trying this.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2012 6:19:00 AM More reviews by lascia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Lavender Oil has SAVED my horrendous hormonal chin acne like nothing else. I use it directly after washing my face, both morning and night, before applying rosehip oil and moisturiser. I don't dilute it. It can sting a little bit over 'ripe' pimples but it doesn't last and it soaks in very quickly.

I can apply this over a particularly nasty bump, even one that is under the skin and hasn't formed a head yet, and by the next day the bump will have decreased in redness/size/pain factor by a truckload.

I like to use a cotton wool ball to apply the oil like a toner over my entire face (avoiding eye area, of course). Sometimes during the day if I notice something erupting I'll apply a dab of lavender oil using a cotton wool bud. I give it a few minutes to soak in before applying rosehip oil/moisturiser.

It has been such a relief waking up in the morning and being able to visibly see an improvement in my skin condition.

Next time I will try and purchase an organic product, but otherwise I wouldn't change a thing.

TIP: If you have sensitive skin, buy a water-soluble lavender oil and dilute it a tad. Always test an area of your skin before you go all out! Remember it will sting momentarily when it touches wounds/damaged skin however this is for a few seconds only and is nothing.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No