Make Up For Ever Smoky Lash Extra Black Mascara

3.7

on 3/18/2013 12:40:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I'm surprised to see all the negative reviews. I've never had an issue with this mascara flaking, and I've gone through about 5 tubes of it so far. I LOVE it! I think it's the most amazing mascara. It's very dark which i like. i don't like to wear a lot of makeup during the daytime and even if I go out at night I like to play it up but just a little bit - keeping the focus on one thing, usually the eyes. This mascara alone can do that for me! Granted, I was fortunately blessed with natural long, curled lashes but this mascara really emphasizes them and makes them pop, and I imagine it would do that for everyone too. The only con I find to this mascara is I feel it dries out a lot faster than other mascaras i've used. Even still it's not enough to make me switch. I'll be using this mascara for as long as it's around.

It is annoying because I love dark dark eyelashes and this gives me the color I want but it is soooo flaky. I hate that when I wear this I have to check constantly to make sure there aren't flakies under my eyes and on my cheeks. It is pretty hard to use, it is really clumpy which might be because it is a volumizing mascara but it causes me too much grief to continue to purchase. After reading the MUA positive reviews I have a couple tips that might make this more bearable to wear before I run out. I just hate wasting what is left in the tube and will keep it for at least a purse mascara. It would be great if that advice can turn my opinion around even a little bit because normally I am a HUGE Makeupforever fan.

on 2/28/2013 7:47:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

This is my HG mascara! I love that it curls, lengthens, and give my lashes the darkest black color. It is very dramatic and does clump a little but that's why its called SMOKEY LASH!!!! It is amazing. I have re-purchased numerous times and will continue to do so. Hope this helps!

on 1/24/2013 11:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I got this in the deluxe sample size from Sephora, and I like it pretty well. It gives my lashes both volume and length, and it's very black. It applies easily, with no clumps. It seems to have a pretty dry formula. The biggest deal breaker for me in a mascara is smudging/flaking, and it doesn't budge. Not even the tiniest bit ends up under my eyes-that's a huge plus. I would probably consider buying it if it weren't for the price-I tend to stick to drugstore for mascaras. If you don't mind paying more though, I'd definitely recommend it.

on 1/19/2013 8:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I received the mini size of this in the Sephora 500 points gift. I hate it and can't wait to go back to my usual Tarte mascara. The formula is crazy clumpy! I can barely get two coats on without having clumps and my lashes sticking together. I'm not a fan and would never purchase the full size.

on 1/3/2013 12:31:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I hate to be a negative nancy but I can't really see the hype about this product! For volume and length I believe Tarte's "Lights, Cameras, Lashes" trumps it at the same price point and I like the brush of Tarte's better! Or Bare Mineral's "Flawless Definition Volumizing"! I don't like the formula, I find it difficult to use multiple coats of this product without it looking clumpy. There always seems to be an excess of formula on the brush, and it claims to be curling but I see zero proof of that. I don't see anything outstanding about this product and I feel I can get much better results from other mascara's at the same price point. Honestly to me this reminds me of drug store mascara. Went straight back to sephora.

on 1/1/2013 8:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The effect of this mascara is absolutely beautiful. It made my lashes appear very full and dramatic. Definitely lives up to its smoky name! However, the product flakes off my lashes after about an hour of wear. I won't be buying this again.

on 12/29/2012 12:06:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This is a great mascara but dries out very quickly. Nice full lashes but not clumpy. You can get some serious size with multiple coats.

on 12/27/2012 11:23:00 PM

This is a wonderful mascara it really gives your lashs a boost in volume & length if you take your time and applying it and slow but it dries out to fast, wish it was cheaper

on 12/6/2012 10:02:00 AM

This mascara is one BIG DRAMA! I love it. Been searching for my new HG mascara since they discontinued Chanel Extreme Cils which made really thick and black lashes. This actually makes the same - just putting one layer is enough for deep, very dramatic (!!!) look. The black is SO black! Great replacement for the above mentioned Chanel - makes the same result and I am so happy to find it. Will def. repurchase.

Popular Mascaras