Estee Lauder Youth Dew

3.1

on 4/10/2012 2:13:00 PM

I adore Youth Dew. When my mom would go out when I was younger, she used to spray some behind her knees & then get ready to leave & between the spray behind the knees (which I thought was such a sexy place to spray perfume) & the earthy, sexy smell of the Youth Dew, I just thought THIS is what it means to be a beautiful, sexy woman.

She stopped wearing it for a while until I found an old bottle of it in her bathroom & tried it out for myself. The smell is not for everyone. With so many perfumes being so light, fruity, & citrusy now, I can see why people aren't used to such a musky or "heavy" kind of perfume. I like it though b/c it takes a certain kind of woman to wear it. You have to kind of EARN the right to be the kind of woman who can pull off Youth Dew but, like it or not, it's sexy as hell.

It's a vintage kind of perfume so you have to be ready for that if you're going to try it. I like it but it's like I would never wear Chanel No. 5 because I think it's WAY too strong, but it's the classic perfume of all time so what do I know? Perfumes were just different back in the day.

I have half a bottle left but am disappointed to have read that Estee changed the formulation so now it doesn't smell the same so it's like the end of an era which (no pun intedned) stinks!

Also, if you have the old formulation (or with any vintage perfume), spray it into the air & walk through the mist b/c if you spray it directly on your skin it WILL be way too strong. Worth a shot if you can find an old bottle somewhere.

on 3/23/2012 10:35:00 AM

Youth Dew is a very,very well blended concoction od oriental/animalistic/leathery/sweet components that really isn't for everyone....
first of all don't EVER SPRITZ YD ON YOUR HAND AND PUT THAT HAND CLOSE TO SOMEONE ELSE'S NOSE ASKING - ''WELL HOW DO YOU LIKE THIS?''...it is not a perfume to dig your nose into, after a first spritz....because it smells like sweetened sh.t mixed with animal sweat and stale fruit...by God that's what it smells like to that someone you forse your wrist upon...
this is a scent that needs time...and alot of it...it starts to smell right after couple of hours when top notes evaporate and get one with your skin (or unfortunatelly for many people-not)...
starts off with a distinctive sweet cola smell followed by civet, vanilla and unbearable musky scent ...but wait.....after a half an hour smell it again....and after an hour or so-again...
you can smell the most exquisite powdery and magical scent that is almost mythic in the presence...YD will be noticed by everyone, but only a few will be able to differenciate a scent that turned them off after the initial spritz...it's an ancient brew of the most gorgeous resins, balms and sweet patchouly,heavy on sillage and with powdery, rich and veeeery sexy drydown..
it is ''an old fashioned'' smell, fine damsels won't probably see the overall beauty in it and that is causin so much controversy surrounding this particular scent....
for me- YD is magical, unique and scent that is exclusively a ''signature scent'' type of perfume...it is not the one you put just so, in occasions that demand something carefree and light...it is a nightime, bedtime smell, prior to sensual sex -smell, alone in the house and chilling-smell, and grand dame-smell...(requires as much time as f.e. Black Orchid.....also from Mr. Ford, damn him:DD)
it's a must try, and be sure to put it on at least a half an hour before you leave your house....
just like with A.Elixir, you have to have the nose, soul and guts for it..
other than that- a freakin masterpiece...
and, o yeah- I really dont give a rats ass whether someone in my presence likes it or not....but no one said-omg, you smell bad...au contraire, people said I smelled so good they could devour me....
what can I say...that's the animal in me....

on 2/20/2012 12:10:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I like the cologne okay, but to really experience this fragrance the way the original designer intended it, get the bath oil and wear it as a perfume oil. The elements all come together much more smoothly and it is elegant-- voluptuous and lasting, without being overwhelming.

on 2/19/2012 6:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

In a word, tenacious.

I encountered Youth Dew at the CCO in its adorable blue bottle with retro brown lettering, 1.8 oz for $24. I tried a spritz and walked around for an hour or so. A really nifty scent I could only describe as cola kept wafting to my nose. I decided to buy it if only for the bottle and to add another classic to my collection.

When I got home I spritzed once on my wrist and settled in to enjoy it. I checked the Turin & Sanchez perfume guide and was amused to see that Sanchez described it as an "animalic cola". I detected a very spicy, earthy rose. It actually reminded me of the Bathed & Infused perfume "Funeral".

Then something unfortunate happened. I discovered that Youth Dew has a powerful vertiver base note. Vetiver grabs my skin and won't let go. I hate it. Of course, it would not wash off and even the next morning that evil vetiver clung to my wrist.

I give Youth Dew props for being brazen, interesting, and for the bottle. Absent the vetiver I would wear it sparingly and occasionally. This is the second fragrance I have tried that I would not wear to work (the first being Carnal Flower).

on 2/17/2012 8:12:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Skin chemistry is fascinating. Fragrance SA's always try to steer me to light, fresh, sweet, floral or citrus scents. I'm a willowy blond, and I guess I don't look like the type that can pull off a bodacious fragrance. However, on my skin, paler scents disappear and are almost pointless. It is the full-bodied, voluptuous scents that really bloom on me. This particular blend of balsam and spice works beautifully with my chemistry. Like most Lauder fragrances, it is a silage power house, and just a dab will do.

I would never characterize this as an "old lady" fragrance. I've never understood that description. My grandmother is 93, and she smells fantastic. I know some sixteen -year- olds I wouldn't want to be stuck in an elevator with. At any rate, Youth Dew is a very puzzling name to me. When I think "dew", I think fresh. I think of freshly picked bouquets. Youth Dew does not conjure freshly picked anything, but rather ancient spices that have simmered and brewed. I'll let someone else have the sweet. I'll take the spice, thank you.

on 2/16/2012 1:35:00 AM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

This is the first perfume I can remember trying that I would describe as gross. Look at my other perfume reviews, I'm generous to a fault with them; usually, when a perfume isn't one I care for, I can still appreciate its status as a classic, I can consider the way its formulation might have changed the perfume game, I can put myself in the shoes of someone in a different era and imagine how it would be fashionable or novel.

So what I'm saying here is I'm not usually judgy about perfumes, but I honestly cannot imagine a context in which someone would want to smell this stuff, or smell like it. Frankly, I have to wonder whether the bottle my sample came from had gone horribly off, or whether there's been some kind of drastic reformulation and this stuff now smells nothing like it used to.

Yes, I wore it. For hours. It was physically uncomfortable to continue wearing and smelling but I gave it a chance. For a long time it smells like liniment and stale bodies: pungent, sharp, powerful and sinus-clearing. After a while it mellowed to a spicy amber, still with a pungent edge. I'm not willing to put up with over an hour of extreme unpleasantness to get to a pretty meh drydown and I'm not willing to run around trying bath oils and powders to try and find a way in which this scent is tolerable, when there are so many really beautiful ambers out there.

on 9/13/2011 11:02:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The first fragrance from the iconic beauty house ESTEE LAUDER, created by Mrs Lauder. This frag is a staple on my mom, aunts and myself:) this frag is so sexy, spicy balsamic type, well balanced with nice sillage and longevity! with 2 spritz and i'm done the perfect amount of youth dew!!! The bottle is so gorgeous, looks pretty! The price is so cheap for an EL fragrance! Cool :) will buy it again, 100% sure!!!! Old lady type but a sexy one.

on 9/6/2011 6:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I want to like Estee Lauder, I really do. They're such an iconic house, and they've done so many classic perfumes, they have a reputation for good quality, and they've kept their prices very reasonable. Every perfume of theirs that I've tried has made me want to go scrub down with bleach.

Youth Dew has a lovely balsamic, spicy opening. Turin and Sanchez describe it as 'animalic cola,' and they're dead on. And then it smelled like I had just walked into a zoo. There are a LOT of indoles in that sucker. Now, I'm not terribly squeamish-- I wear Bal a Versailles and Shalimar-- but this went straight from 'a little dirt' to 'someone needs to hose down the elephant pen.' Too bad. My packaging rating is for the adorable baby-blue retro bottle.

on 9/2/2011 10:32:00 AM

Ok i've heard so much about this ''controversial'' scent for quite some time and i've yet to try it.But last week, i finally got a bottle. I was surprised at how cheap this is. I am aware this is a very old school scent and mainly appeals to the older generations particularly the old ladies. But being in my late 20s,i was really curious as to how this smells like and why it is still around despite all the negative reviews everywhere.

It smells really overpowering and very spicy. I sprayed it on my wrist and even after washing it with soap,i can still smell it though not as strong. I like the bottle very much..probably one of the few reasons i decided to get it. Another reason is that i remembered reading a book on how Ms Lauder smashed a bottle of YD at Galleries Lafayette in Paris after the owner refused to let Ms Lauder sell YD in the store.

I agree with most people this is not for everyone. But i like it personally and i occasionally spritzed a little of this after taking a bath and relaxing after a long hard day.

Personally I cannot wear Youth Dew because it smells horrible on me but it is what my Mom always wore and it totally worked with her chemistry because EVERYONE ALWAYS complimented her on it! It smelled so warm and comforting (if that makes sense). I remember being a kid and watching her getting ready to go out and she'd spray her perfume right before leaving and I loved it! My Mom passed away 4 years ago and I have kept her last bottle just as a reminder. The other day I got into an elevator and a lady had it on and I thought of my Mom. It's funny how many people HATE this perfume but I really think it is all about your body chemistry and how it smells on you. It will always be a favorite of mine even though I cannot wear it.

Popular Fragrances