April 17, 2014 | 1492 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk in Dark Brown

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2012 10:05:00 PM More reviews by missvox2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a go to home hair dye for dark brown black hair. Asians please keep this one in mind whenever you need to correct color back to your natural shade. Its no fail and best of all looks very natural and will give back your natural highlights and lowlights.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2012 4:32:00 PM More reviews by HoneyBlunts33

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My hair is naturally quite dark, but in the past decade or so I had failed to care properly for it, so it turned a very boring and dare I say ugly color of light brown. I swooped this up at CVS because it was four dollars, and I figured f*ck it.

SO GLAD. Very little damage from it as far as I can see, my hair is a glossy, dark chocolate color just like when I was young, and the color stays for a long time. I haven't tried many other box dyes but I don't need to now!

This was all months back and I have used this again twice, but I found I need at least two boxes (my hair is thick and long, well past the shoulder blades). If you have long hair go ahead and grab two, they're cheap as hell!

A tip is to leave the included conditioner on your hair for a while, and you could dare to add some of your own, if it's color safe.

Good luck and happy coloring.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2012 8:34:00 AM More reviews by lululemon

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Ladies, if you have to dye your hair at home - this is probably the best DIY color you can get your hands on without damaging your hair (too much anyway) I'd stayed away from dye-ing my hair for about six months since a horrible bout with Liese Bubble hair color (don't do it, it looks cute, but you'll regret it) but after reading the reviews here, decided to take the plunge, and five months later I am happy to announce that I've bought another two just this past week.

My hair color (before): Blah dark brown
My hair color (after): Rich, glossy dark brown which has faded over the last few months (I dyed my hair five months ago) to a dark golden brown.
Hair Length: Long (Three inches past shoulder)
Condition after dying: Good! My hair usually gets pretty dry after any color processing but it's stayed shiny and healthy!

Tips:
1. Buy TWO packages if you have long hair; one was barely enough to cover half my hair
2. Dye at least day-old hair.
3. If your hair is already damaged from over dyeing - give it a rest for at least three to six months. Don't run out to dye your hair the first opportunity you get, you'll only spend a ton of money AFTERWARD trying to restore it to some semblance of normalcy.

LOVE IT!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2011 9:25:00 PM More reviews by dawnmarie90

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been dying my hair a few times a year for the last 5 or so years. I bought Revlon Color Silk after google searching for the "best hair dye." Good Housekeeping Magazine recommended this one as the best for brunettes so I ran out and bought it. Before I dyed my hair, it was a medium brown with a lot of lighter, almost blonde pieces (I dyed my hair dark brown using Clairol about a month ago and it wound up black and very patchy. All my hair faded really quickly, the ends of my hair faded back to the original almost blonde within 2 weeks. My hair resembled a calico cat). My hair is pretty dry and damaged to begin with. I bought Color Silk at Walgreens for about $5. The packaging was standard, no frills hair dye and a single use conditioner. My only minor gripe was that I had to use scissors to cut the top off one of the bottles as opposed to a pull off top. It didn't smell too horrible to me; I've definitely used worse smelling hair dyes. My hair is on the long side, about 6 inches below the top of my shoulders and is fairly thick. I was scraping the inside of the bottle to get the last bits out towards the end, I'll have to buy two boxes next time. I left it on for probably 30 minutes (instructions said 25, but I didn't want a repeat of my previous botched dye job). Then rinsed it out without shampooing, I just used to the deep conditioner it came with. It turned out as dark as you can get without being black, which is exactly what I wanted. As far as I can tell it isn't patchy at all. My hair isn't dry at all like other dyes usually leave it (cough Garnier cough). I'll have to wait and see how well it does against fading. I did get some dye on my skin and it came out almost all the way after washing with soap. However, I did have a hole in my glove and now I have a good sized black stain on my hand and that's not coming out as easily. Oh well.

Overall, I am really impressed, considering this was one of the cheapest dyes in the store. Just goes to show that prices and packaging don't always equate to quality. If you have any shade of brown hair want to go dark brown, definitely recommend this.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/2/2011 6:23:00 PM More reviews by shelbs14

I tried this twice, due to the fact that it had such good reviews on here, and it did not come out good either times. The color was not "dark brown" and once it faded it turned into a really light/golden/yellow brown color..overall I personally think there are better out there and was not fond of this at all

rated 3 of 5 on 11/2/2011 2:32:00 AM More reviews by mpauletteb

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Honestly, I can't believe this product is getting such high reviews. This dye is *ok* in a pinch. It does leave your hair in great condition. But the color is so heavy-handed and dull, the hallmarks of a bad dye-job.
I applied this product and came on this site to read reviews while I waited for it to set. I did it backwards, I know! The reviews that say your hair comes out practically black freaked me out. So I rinsed it after only 10 minutes, and even at that it was darker than I expected. 10 more minutes, it would've been black for sure.
I hesitantly say I'll buy this again, because I know there will be a point in the future when I'll be very broke but need to cover my grey- and colorsilk is fine for that. But I know that if I used it regularly, it'd look like I color my hair with a magic marker.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2011 10:55:00 AM More reviews by lovemylox

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I put two coats of this over my platinum waist length hair....about a week apart or so. it might have been more like 2 weeks...can't remember. Well, it has been well over a month since I did this, and you would think that my hair would look faded and brassy, but it doesn't! This stuff is great! It is a beautiful color. My natural hair color is a very dark mousey blonde/brown color. I can barely see my roots. If it wasnt for a silver strand here and there( they are about a centimeter long now) you wouldnt even notice my roots! This is great after having such obvious roots while being platinum blonde. I will put some pics on my profile if you want to see what my hair looked like b4 I dyed dark brown, and how it looks over a month later! I love this stuff!!!!! Yay Colorsilk!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2011 10:10:00 PM More reviews by brownsugarncutie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Not my first time using Colorsilk. I have used their black brown, light ash brown, and mahogany brown in the past as well as their highlighting kit. They all work very well. I decided to dye my hair this time with the dark brown this time because I wanted to go back to dark brown after having had it light brown for a while. It's been a while since I dyed my hair so it was getting brassy.

I am surprised that the color turned out SO dark. My hair is black right now and it looks darker than when I had dyed it black brown. It doesn't bother me too much since black doesn't look too bad on me since I'm Asian and I wanted my hair to be dark...I just didn't expect it to turn out this dark. lol. This is only the day after I dyed my hair and I expect it to fade a bit after a couple of washes. I will update later.

UPDATE:
Okay, so after a couple of washes, the color has faded significantly and it is no longer really really black. It's more of a black brown color and it looks very natural on me! It's a bit darker than my natural hair color but it looks good. I believe it'll continue to fade as time goes on and maybe it will turn into more of a dark brown. I will update.

UPDATE: 3 months later
So it really hasn't faded that much at all but it is no longer black but more of my natural dark dark brown hair color. It looks very natural and I am happy with it.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2011 10:39:00 AM More reviews by Surfaddict

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Wow guys, I'm really impressed. Wouldn't think I'd be writing a review on hair dye as they all worked pretty same for me, but this stuff is different.
I'm so happy I've followed my intuition and bought this color with pretty girl on the box instead of L'oreal which I always used to.
So. The packaging is actually okay and I didn't experience any difficulties with the gloves. Yes, ketchup thing for the conditioner, but hey, can't we handle that.
Thanks god I've read MUA and followed the instructions - left it for 20 min on the roots and then applied for 5 min onto the rest of the length. About my hair: long, have always colored 3.0 for last years and always turned jet black no matter what the color was on the box/on the palette in the salon. They always were so pretty, but I just turned BLACK.
When you actually apply this stuff and leave it for a while, you can already see it is BROWN ) I was very pleased.
So I wash it off...and it washes off like heaven, after 2 shampooings (average, as I'd do if had no dye on my hair) the towel which I wrapped hair into, didn't stain AT ALL. And! It would be actually fine if I didn't use the conditioner as the hair were soft...which was a very big surprise as my hair suffer from sun and salty water.
The color is brown!!! Really nice deep dark brown, which I always wanted. Man, I'm so happy I didn't come to the salon on time today and the stylist went home, I'd probably sit here jet black again.
Oh, and it smells nice and has no ammonia! Omg, are you kidding me? For 5 dollars?
Will repurchase no doubt, no matter how long it will last.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/13/2011 2:41:00 PM More reviews by greenlima

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

read before coloring your hair! i wish i did! another reviewer on here says the same thing: great product, no smell, nice color, BUT my roots are much lighter than the lower 2/3 of my hair which is black! dont follow the directions. put on roots for 20 min, then on rest of hair for no more than 5-10 minutes. my hair was light, copper brown from past med-brown die job (l'oreal) being lightened by the sun. ill update in 2-3 weeks about sun lightening the color or not and greys coming back or not. ill probably use again for roots. i liked the loose gloves, easy to take off and put one during dye job.