Revlon Colorsilk in Dark Brown

4.3

on 10/6/2012 7:46:00 AM

Looking at the reviews, I bought this from Ebay, so it didn't come very cheap, but it's not available in the UK. I thought the L'oreal ones are not really permanent, and this would last longer. It does last a bit longer than L'oreal. But the result of this is matte and a bit dryer. Initially covered the gray hair strands better than L'oreal. But after 3rd wash, it's gone. It didn't smell bad at all, in fact it's much better than L'oreal hairdyes. I kept it for 25 minutes. Despite my base being rather dark (medium brown), it didn't turn pitch black and I doubt it would turn pitch black unless your hair is kind of Espresso dark. There were no gloves in my box. I wouldn't buy this again. L'oreal has a shinier finish and it doesn't feel so dry as it fades.

on 9/15/2012 12:06:00 AM

When I saw this product on the shelf, I was hesitant to buy it at first. It was really cheap compared to other brands. I dyed my hair darker a couple of weeks ago but it was a semipermanent type so I wanted a permanent equivalent. Yes, the packaging and gloves look pretty cheap but that doesn't matter to me. The smell wasn't unbearable but it was more noticeable than the dye I previously used. I left the dye on for 25 minutes as directed. As I was washing the dye out, I noticed the color running was a shade of purpley/black. It worried me because I did not want purple nor black hair. As soon as I dried it, my worries vanished. It is a rich, dark chocolate brown. My hair is shiny and not brassy at all. I am 100% satisfied and will definitely buy this again.

WARNING! Do not put the product on for the full 25 mins unless you want very, very dark hair that looks black in low lighting with brown undertones in good lighting. I left the dye in for 10 mins and wound up with a deep, rich brown. I love it! My hair is usually not shiny or healthy looking and looks great since I dyed it, and I've already washed and conditioned it once.
I would have given it 5 stars if the color name wasn't misleading, but it is. My profile pic is me after dying my hair, and leaving it in for 10 mins. Can you imagine what it would have looked like after 25 mins? It would have been brown/black.

on 6/25/2012 11:43:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have always used revlon colorsilk each and every time I dye my hair. It leaves your hair sooo shiny. I have tried many other brands but none have ever done what this does in my opinion. Do not let the cheap packaging of the conditioner fool you. I wish they sold this conditioner on its own because it is really effective stuff. This color DOES however fade over the course of two or three weeks but that is why I like it. It lets my natural highlights show through and does not leave my hair one dimensional and unnatural looking. If you are looking for a haircolor that really holds I would try something else.

on 6/4/2012 11:14:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

I've been looking at buying this for months and I am so glad I finally did! My hair began as a dyed warm medium brown with natural dark brown roots and with this I was able to match my root color almost perfectly. It has only been a few hours since I dyed and dried my hair so I expect the color to fade a little in a few weeks, but right now it is a rich brown-black color with a dark brown shine, only slightly darker than my natural color. If my natural color was Selena Gomez, this hair color would be Kim Kardashian.

I suggest using a bowl and brush to apply the color; it is so much easier, more precise, and has better results than using the bottle. Beware that this hair dye does have a strong odor which at first may seem pleasant but lingers in your hair long after you've rinsed it out; rinse well and consider shampooing to avoid smelling like chemicals all day. Also, don't wait too long to wipe up spills or this will seriously stain your skin for a day or two as well as permanently stain your bathroom.

Bottom-line: Beautiful, shiny dark hair. Love this product.

on 3/25/2012 4:04:00 AM

This is great! Exactly the color I wanted- dark but not quite black. I love it. I went from red to this color and it pulled no red through, its a delicious dark dark brown! And so cheap. Who cares if the conditioner is in a plastic tear bag? It tears open easily with ur fingers, just one use, but it conditions just as good add any other. My hair is not dried out like the Feria brand.
If you want a very dark, rich brown this is for you.
I have med/long straight fine hair and one package was more than enough for me.
Definatly will use again. So far no fading and its not brassy at all.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This pure, cheap awesomeness. I have been looking for a dark brown dye to match my natural color that doesn't turn my hair black. Medium brown never seems dark enough and dark brown tends to turn black. I also have had the problem of brassiness and red tones using brown hair colors. I was literally working my way through all the drugstore brands in hopes of finding a good dark brown hair color. I had only to try Nice and Easy (the new formula) and Colorsilk. I had once tried a brown Colorsilk, I don't remember which and it gave me red roots. Looking back this is because I had accidently used a red based color over an ash based color.
I noticed the Colorsilk bottles of color and developer are smaller than other brands.So, I used exactly two boxed on my very thick, very dry, curly shoulder length hair and am glad I did so. I agree with other reviews that say the gloves are terrible. The seams split easily and I got hair color in the spaces between my index finger and thumb and on the tip of another finger. But they faded away in the shower while shampooing my hair.
I used a hair dye bowl and brush to apply. The dye smells slightly minty and slightly like other brands of hair dye. It was a little runny but very easy to apply. I left on for 30 minutes since I have very coarse & resistant hair (no grey's at all).
When I rinsed my hair, it took a long time to get the water to run clear. I shampooed my hair three times with a moisturizing shampoo (Aussie Moist) and then used a deep conditioner (Aussie Deep). The water was almost clear while rinsing the conditioner out.
My advice would be to wash your hair repeatedly after dying or just rinse it for a long time. If one didn't, I could see how it would run and stain things like clothes and pillow cases.
My hair is now very soft and silky and has no signs of damage. The color took very evenly and is a chocolate dark brown with no signs of black or any brassiness or red & orange tones. It matches my natural dark brown color and looks natural.
I am so glad I found this & it's hard to believe I paid $3 a box a Target for this. This is the best dark brown color I have found & is holy grail status.

on 2/8/2012 10:05:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

This is a go to home hair dye for dark brown black hair. Asians please keep this one in mind whenever you need to correct color back to your natural shade. Its no fail and best of all looks very natural and will give back your natural highlights and lowlights.

My hair is naturally quite dark, but in the past decade or so I had failed to care properly for it, so it turned a very boring and dare I say ugly color of light brown. I swooped this up at CVS because it was four dollars, and I figured f*ck it.

SO GLAD. Very little damage from it as far as I can see, my hair is a glossy, dark chocolate color just like when I was young, and the color stays for a long time. I haven't tried many other box dyes but I don't need to now!

This was all months back and I have used this again twice, but I found I need at least two boxes (my hair is thick and long, well past the shoulder blades). If you have long hair go ahead and grab two, they're cheap as hell!

A tip is to leave the included conditioner on your hair for a while, and you could dare to add some of your own, if it's color safe.

Good luck and happy coloring.

on 1/24/2012 8:34:00 AM

Ladies, if you have to dye your hair at home - this is probably the best DIY color you can get your hands on without damaging your hair (too much anyway) I'd stayed away from dye-ing my hair for about six months since a horrible bout with Liese Bubble hair color (don't do it, it looks cute, but you'll regret it) but after reading the reviews here, decided to take the plunge, and five months later I am happy to announce that I've bought another two just this past week.

My hair color (before): Blah dark brown
My hair color (after): Rich, glossy dark brown which has faded over the last few months (I dyed my hair five months ago) to a dark golden brown.
Hair Length: Long (Three inches past shoulder)
Condition after dying: Good! My hair usually gets pretty dry after any color processing but it's stayed shiny and healthy!

Tips:
1. Buy TWO packages if you have long hair; one was barely enough to cover half my hair
2. Dye at least day-old hair.
3. If your hair is already damaged from over dyeing - give it a rest for at least three to six months. Don't run out to dye your hair the first opportunity you get, you'll only spend a ton of money AFTERWARD trying to restore it to some semblance of normalcy.

LOVE IT!