July 30, 2014 | 1631 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk in Dark Brown

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2012 4:04:00 AM More reviews by Myoung19

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is great! Exactly the color I wanted- dark but not quite black. I love it. I went from red to this color and it pulled no red through, its a delicious dark dark brown! And so cheap. Who cares if the conditioner is in a plastic tear bag? It tears open easily with ur fingers, just one use, but it conditions just as good add any other. My hair is not dried out like the Feria brand.
If you want a very dark, rich brown this is for you.
I have med/long straight fine hair and one package was more than enough for me.
Definatly will use again. So far no fading and its not brassy at all.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2012 12:07:00 PM More reviews by deliberateangel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This pure, cheap awesomeness. I have been looking for a dark brown dye to match my natural color that doesn't turn my hair black. Medium brown never seems dark enough and dark brown tends to turn black. I also have had the problem of brassiness and red tones using brown hair colors. I was literally working my way through all the drugstore brands in hopes of finding a good dark brown hair color. I had only to try Nice and Easy (the new formula) and Colorsilk. I had once tried a brown Colorsilk, I don't remember which and it gave me red roots. Looking back this is because I had accidently used a red based color over an ash based color.
I noticed the Colorsilk bottles of color and developer are smaller than other brands.So, I used exactly two boxed on my very thick, very dry, curly shoulder length hair and am glad I did so. I agree with other reviews that say the gloves are terrible. The seams split easily and I got hair color in the spaces between my index finger and thumb and on the tip of another finger. But they faded away in the shower while shampooing my hair.
I used a hair dye bowl and brush to apply. The dye smells slightly minty and slightly like other brands of hair dye. It was a little runny but very easy to apply. I left on for 30 minutes since I have very coarse & resistant hair (no grey's at all).
When I rinsed my hair, it took a long time to get the water to run clear. I shampooed my hair three times with a moisturizing shampoo (Aussie Moist) and then used a deep conditioner (Aussie Deep). The water was almost clear while rinsing the conditioner out.
My advice would be to wash your hair repeatedly after dying or just rinse it for a long time. If one didn't, I could see how it would run and stain things like clothes and pillow cases.
My hair is now very soft and silky and has no signs of damage. The color took very evenly and is a chocolate dark brown with no signs of black or any brassiness or red & orange tones. It matches my natural dark brown color and looks natural.
I am so glad I found this & it's hard to believe I paid $3 a box a Target for this. This is the best dark brown color I have found & is holy grail status.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2012 10:05:00 PM More reviews by missvox2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a go to home hair dye for dark brown black hair. Asians please keep this one in mind whenever you need to correct color back to your natural shade. Its no fail and best of all looks very natural and will give back your natural highlights and lowlights.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2012 4:32:00 PM More reviews by HoneyBlunts33

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My hair is naturally quite dark, but in the past decade or so I had failed to care properly for it, so it turned a very boring and dare I say ugly color of light brown. I swooped this up at CVS because it was four dollars, and I figured f*ck it.

SO GLAD. Very little damage from it as far as I can see, my hair is a glossy, dark chocolate color just like when I was young, and the color stays for a long time. I haven't tried many other box dyes but I don't need to now!

This was all months back and I have used this again twice, but I found I need at least two boxes (my hair is thick and long, well past the shoulder blades). If you have long hair go ahead and grab two, they're cheap as hell!

A tip is to leave the included conditioner on your hair for a while, and you could dare to add some of your own, if it's color safe.

Good luck and happy coloring.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2012 8:34:00 AM More reviews by lululemon

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Ladies, if you have to dye your hair at home - this is probably the best DIY color you can get your hands on without damaging your hair (too much anyway) I'd stayed away from dye-ing my hair for about six months since a horrible bout with Liese Bubble hair color (don't do it, it looks cute, but you'll regret it) but after reading the reviews here, decided to take the plunge, and five months later I am happy to announce that I've bought another two just this past week.

My hair color (before): Blah dark brown
My hair color (after): Rich, glossy dark brown which has faded over the last few months (I dyed my hair five months ago) to a dark golden brown.
Hair Length: Long (Three inches past shoulder)
Condition after dying: Good! My hair usually gets pretty dry after any color processing but it's stayed shiny and healthy!

Tips:
1. Buy TWO packages if you have long hair; one was barely enough to cover half my hair
2. Dye at least day-old hair.
3. If your hair is already damaged from over dyeing - give it a rest for at least three to six months. Don't run out to dye your hair the first opportunity you get, you'll only spend a ton of money AFTERWARD trying to restore it to some semblance of normalcy.

LOVE IT!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2011 9:25:00 PM More reviews by dawnmarie90

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been dying my hair a few times a year for the last 5 or so years. I bought Revlon Color Silk after google searching for the "best hair dye." Good Housekeeping Magazine recommended this one as the best for brunettes so I ran out and bought it. Before I dyed my hair, it was a medium brown with a lot of lighter, almost blonde pieces (I dyed my hair dark brown using Clairol about a month ago and it wound up black and very patchy. All my hair faded really quickly, the ends of my hair faded back to the original almost blonde within 2 weeks. My hair resembled a calico cat). My hair is pretty dry and damaged to begin with. I bought Color Silk at Walgreens for about $5. The packaging was standard, no frills hair dye and a single use conditioner. My only minor gripe was that I had to use scissors to cut the top off one of the bottles as opposed to a pull off top. It didn't smell too horrible to me; I've definitely used worse smelling hair dyes. My hair is on the long side, about 6 inches below the top of my shoulders and is fairly thick. I was scraping the inside of the bottle to get the last bits out towards the end, I'll have to buy two boxes next time. I left it on for probably 30 minutes (instructions said 25, but I didn't want a repeat of my previous botched dye job). Then rinsed it out without shampooing, I just used to the deep conditioner it came with. It turned out as dark as you can get without being black, which is exactly what I wanted. As far as I can tell it isn't patchy at all. My hair isn't dry at all like other dyes usually leave it (cough Garnier cough). I'll have to wait and see how well it does against fading. I did get some dye on my skin and it came out almost all the way after washing with soap. However, I did have a hole in my glove and now I have a good sized black stain on my hand and that's not coming out as easily. Oh well.

Overall, I am really impressed, considering this was one of the cheapest dyes in the store. Just goes to show that prices and packaging don't always equate to quality. If you have any shade of brown hair want to go dark brown, definitely recommend this.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/2/2011 6:23:00 PM More reviews by shelbs14

I tried this twice, due to the fact that it had such good reviews on here, and it did not come out good either times. The color was not "dark brown" and once it faded it turned into a really light/golden/yellow brown color..overall I personally think there are better out there and was not fond of this at all

rated 3 of 5 on 11/2/2011 2:32:00 AM More reviews by mpauletteb

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Honestly, I can't believe this product is getting such high reviews. This dye is *ok* in a pinch. It does leave your hair in great condition. But the color is so heavy-handed and dull, the hallmarks of a bad dye-job.
I applied this product and came on this site to read reviews while I waited for it to set. I did it backwards, I know! The reviews that say your hair comes out practically black freaked me out. So I rinsed it after only 10 minutes, and even at that it was darker than I expected. 10 more minutes, it would've been black for sure.
I hesitantly say I'll buy this again, because I know there will be a point in the future when I'll be very broke but need to cover my grey- and colorsilk is fine for that. But I know that if I used it regularly, it'd look like I color my hair with a magic marker.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2011 10:55:00 AM More reviews by lovemylox

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I put two coats of this over my platinum waist length hair....about a week apart or so. it might have been more like 2 weeks...can't remember. Well, it has been well over a month since I did this, and you would think that my hair would look faded and brassy, but it doesn't! This stuff is great! It is a beautiful color. My natural hair color is a very dark mousey blonde/brown color. I can barely see my roots. If it wasnt for a silver strand here and there( they are about a centimeter long now) you wouldnt even notice my roots! This is great after having such obvious roots while being platinum blonde. I will put some pics on my profile if you want to see what my hair looked like b4 I dyed dark brown, and how it looks over a month later! I love this stuff!!!!! Yay Colorsilk!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2011 10:10:00 PM More reviews by brownsugarncutie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Not my first time using Colorsilk. I have used their black brown, light ash brown, and mahogany brown in the past as well as their highlighting kit. They all work very well. I decided to dye my hair this time with the dark brown this time because I wanted to go back to dark brown after having had it light brown for a while. It's been a while since I dyed my hair so it was getting brassy.

I am surprised that the color turned out SO dark. My hair is black right now and it looks darker than when I had dyed it black brown. It doesn't bother me too much since black doesn't look too bad on me since I'm Asian and I wanted my hair to be dark...I just didn't expect it to turn out this dark. lol. This is only the day after I dyed my hair and I expect it to fade a bit after a couple of washes. I will update later.

UPDATE:
Okay, so after a couple of washes, the color has faded significantly and it is no longer really really black. It's more of a black brown color and it looks very natural on me! It's a bit darker than my natural hair color but it looks good. I believe it'll continue to fade as time goes on and maybe it will turn into more of a dark brown. I will update.

UPDATE: 3 months later
So it really hasn't faded that much at all but it is no longer black but more of my natural dark dark brown hair color. It looks very natural and I am happy with it.