LUSH Porridge Soap

3.6

Water (Aqua), Rapeseed Oil; Coconut Oil (Brassica napus; Cocos nucifera), Propylene Glycol, Pinhead Oatmeal (Avena sativa), Fresh Organic Orange Juice (Citrus Aurantium dulcis), Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Perfume, Labdanum Resinoid (Cistus labdaniferus), Sweet Wild Orange Oil (Citrus sinensis), Glycerine, Sodium Chloride, EDTA, Tetrasodium Editronate, *Limonene *Occurs naturally in essential oils

on 5/17/2012 10:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This soap smells really good, exfoliates fairly well and leaves the skin feeling soft and smooth.

But what I don't like about this soap is that it has so many little chunks of oats in it, that it's constantly dropping out whenever I use it. The size of the soap shrinks so fast, and its such an expensive piece of soap that can only be used for such a short span of time. What's more, it's a pain to clean up after. There's so many pieces of oats on the floor that the drain might get clogged up after your shower. It's really annoying.

No matter how much I liked the smell and the texture of the soap, I find that it's more trouble and expense than its worth.

best soap ever!! i wasn't too impressed with the scent in the store but then i decided to buy it anyway because i heard oatmeal works really good for skin. i took a shower with it and this delicious yummy oatmeal scent comes out! i LOVE the scent so much!! it also leaves my skin so smooth and moisturised afterwards. two thumbs up!!

on 2/17/2012 4:40:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This soap is great! I heard porridge is great for dry skins/eczema, so I decided to buy a small piece and try it on myself and my son. It smells delicious and leaves skin smooth and moisturised. Great!

on 2/16/2012 9:13:00 AM

I absolutely loved the smell of this soap. I actually first bought it for the delicious scent alone. However, I was plesently surprised by how well it lathered and moisturised my skin. Great! :)

on 2/11/2012 10:09:00 PM

I had been wanting to try Porridge for years based on the smell alone, but hearing people say that this soap is really messy and super harsh always scared me away. I finally recently decided to just buy this and try it for myself, and I'm glad I did!
The scent of this soap is delicious. To me, it smells like warm, baked muffins and molasses and a little bit of orange juice. It smells like a yummy breakfast and I love it! The smell doesn't linger on your skin after the shower though, so don't worry about smelling like muffins all day.
The first few times I used Porridge, it created a nice, creamy lather and the oatmeal pinheads gently exfoliated my skin. But, like everyone else said, the more you use this the more the oatmeal pieces come out. The exfoliation did become more rough, but it still lathers very well. This soap can definitely be harsh (I've come out of the shower with red scratch marks down my arms and legs!), but I don't have sensitive skin and I love really scrubbing all those dead skin cells off. If you can handle relatively harsh body scrubs, I would definitely check this out because the results are definitely worth it. My skin has never been so soft in my life and the KP on my upper arms is drastically improving. Once I reached the middle of the bar, I began using this along with a separate shower gel to really get myself clean. Since the scent of Porridge doesn't linger, you can use any soap or shower gel along with this without getting conflicting scents on your skin.
Another tip -- Once the oatmeal pinheads started becoming more abundant, I decided to run this under the water every time I moved on to a new area of the body. This keeps the pinheads soft and prevents them from getting too scratchy. I thought this would make my Porridge melt away too quickly, but this soap is lasting me a very long time, especially for how often I run it under the water.
And regarding the mess this leaves -- Yes, oatmeal pieces will fall out of this bar. But I've never had more than maybe 10 pieces sticking to the tub, and all it takes is a quick swipe of the shower head to rinse them all down the drain.
Once I run out of my bar, I'm planning on buying a huge chunk of this and always keeping it in my shower to use several times a week as an exfoliator and to help with my KP. I love this stuff and I would highly recommend!

on 2/3/2012 3:52:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

The first sniff of Porridge is intoxicating. The best way for me to describe it is a vanilla caramel concoction, dripping with maple syrup & treacle. None of these scents are actually in Porridge, one of the main ingredients is Orange juice!

Porridge has a very soft feel & lathers well. Yes, it does contain SLS, which is why. It is also very moisturising - it contains coconut oil. Each use of this soap leaves my skin feeling soft & luxurious.

The pinhead oatmeal pieces help exfoliate skin quite well. I've read reviews about the oatmeal pieces being so hard that they've scratched peoples skin. That hasn't happened to me.

Speaking of the Oatmeal.... one thing that I have found is that after each use is I end up between 10 to 20 pieces or more at the bottom of the bathtub. They look like little bugs. :) This may be an issue to those who have drains that clog easily, therefore you may want to use a plug that captures them.

Now, the strange thing is that whilst using Porridge, I found that the scent changed after a few uses. I was enjoying the intoxicating sweet scent when it suddenly turned into wet burnt toast. The smell wasn't very nice at all & I instantly regretted buying it. I put it on a rack to dry. The next time I went into the bathroom I smelt the soap again expecting the wet burnt toast smell, but it was back to the sweet maple syrup smell. How odd! I've smelt the "change" in scent a few more times after using Porridge but it's inconsistent. It doesn't happen every time I use it, just every now and again - so it's not enough to turn me off. Isn't that strange?

I really enjoy using Porridge & will most probably repurchase it when my current piece(s) run out. This will be quite a while since I have a few soaps on rotation. I heard on the grapevine that LUSH may be discontinuing Porridge so it's possible by the time I get through it, it will be gone anyway.

I recommend Porridge if you have dry & especially flaky skin. If you like sweet smells you will love using it - but keep in mind a possible change of scent (described above).

on 1/31/2012 1:25:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Very creamy soap and leaves your skin moisturised. The oatmeal though, can be a little messy, but it does scrub well. The smell is quite nice. In all, a good soap but it will leave a mess on the shower floor with the steel-cut oats dropping all over, especially as the soap wears down and gets smaller. However despite this, I will still repurchase.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I love this soap - it's really creamy, moisturizing, and a great exfoliant which I didn't find too rough. it lasts quite a while too and has a great scent. It smells more like an oatmeal cookie than straight up porridge. It's great if you're a multi tasker, since it cleans, exfoliates and moisturizes in one. I agree that it is a bit pricey, but I would definitely buy this soap again.

on 12/25/2011 11:18:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

My first LUSH soap purchase. I was immediately drawn to the scent. If it were a food item, I could just eat it up. Although its name is "Porridge", it smells more like a warm, caramel, sweet dessert product. The soap lathers really well and just fills the room with its wonderful scent.

Another neat feature of this product is the pinhead oats it contains. The oats are a great exfoliator, however the cut of soap I got from my store contained too many oats to my liking. Sometimes my skin is left red and raw after using the soap. However my skin feels moisturized and soft.

The soap is on the pricier side, but the scent is just too intoxicating to pass up!

on 12/25/2011 5:51:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I like the smell of this soap and it is very creamy and moisturising, however I felt that the oatmeal in it was too rough for my hands and I didn't like how the oatmeal kind of crumbled and came out in my hands. If this soap was smooth, then I would have like it a lot more, however this was a miss for me.

Popular Gels/Soaps