September 17, 2014 | 1979 users online

Styling Products - John Frieda - Luxurious Volume Thickening Mousse

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2010 12:52:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

Smells great and has a luxurious, fluffy texture, but it's just meh as a volumizing mousse, not better or worse than any other mousse I've tried. I have long, straight, healthy virgin hair with normal texture--not fine enough for it to 'puff up' easily but not so much of it that it's dense enough on its own. I've found that Bumble & Bumble's Surf Spray is actually much better at giving me lots of volume (that lasts into the next day) than anything else I've tried. I probably won't repurchase this John Frieda stuff.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2009 7:58:00 PM More reviews by jackie84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Due to the amazing reviews I thought I'd try this out :) I have stick-straight fine hair and this product allows me to have an immense amount of volume! I got it for less than $5 also! I did combine this with Tresamme's 24 hour body root lifter, but I know this is what made the big difference because I have used the root lifter on it's own and it did nothing. Overall, pretty packaging, great results, reasonable price. I'd buy it again in an instant.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2009 1:50:00 PM More reviews by GMF

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

DESCRIPTION OF MY HAIR: Dark, thin, naturally straight, soft. Without product, my hair is flat flat flat!

I LOOOOOOOOVE THIS PRODUCT! It's cheap and it's in pretty packaging but most of all, when i use this product, I would describe my hair as bouncy, full and thick! :D It left my hair soft and didn't have any flakes, even when I brushed my hair afterward.

At first, it didn't work, but that was because after I took a shower, I didn't blow dry. I just left it in my hair till my whole head of hair dried by itself.

NOTE: when using this product. Use it on wet hair and you must blow dry or it won't work!

I straighten my hair after, and the volume doesn't go away. It has staying power too, if you feel your hair fall flat, then just put your fingers under the hair on top of your head and push up. And it stays!

The John Frieda Luxurious Volume hairspray is amazing too!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2009 8:20:00 PM More reviews by seasplash

This is the best volumizing mousse I've ever tried. Leaves my hair full and bouncy and never weights it down or makes it stringy and waxy. I'm on a second bottle of this stuff. Great find!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2009 2:34:00 PM More reviews by maisiex

I have baby fine hair, but absoloutely masses of it so it's almost impossible for me to get good volume (especially at the roots) in my hair. This mousse is a life saver, it works amazingly when I put it in damp hair and blow dry, and even when I wake up the next morning the volume is still there. I also use it after I've styled my hair just to give it lift at the roots, which it absoloutely does. It's not sticky either and you really don't need a huge amount. I absoloutely love this mousse, I'm on my second bottle and will keep re-purchasing as I've never found any other product as good as this!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2009 2:37:00 AM More reviews by subhuman85

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'm a guy with just-above-chin-length hair. It's thick, with a lot of natural body and wave, but its texture is on the fine side, so it can be easily weighed down by products. I'm always looking for a lightweight product that won't kill my hair's volume, but one that also offers a good hold and preferably keeps my waves in check (no "curl-enhancing" products, please, otherwise I'll look like a male Farrah Fawcett in a wind tunnel).

After rigorous testing and umpteen dollars spent on gels, pastes, waxes, mousses, and pomades (sigh, so much beer money down the drain), I keep returning to John Frieda's Luxurious Volume mousse. The name doesn't lie: this stuff gives sky-high volume, especially when applied to damp hair and blow-dried. But it's also the only mousse I'll use when I want to air-dry my hair. Most other mousses would make my hair flat and messy-looking as it dried, and when I brushed it out my hair would sit limply on my head with a bunch of obnoxious waves at the ends. But this stuff gives my hair a noticeable lift even when it's damp, dries incredibly fast, and brushes out beautifully, with almost as much volume as when I blow-dry it. I put a bit of smoothing creme (also by John Frieda) on the inevitable frizz, shape the ends a bit for some added definition, and voila. For hair that has a mind of its own, this mousse is like a drill sergeant, cutting my hair routine time in half. And the hold it offers is perfect - flexible enough that it keeps my hair soft and not sticky, so I can remold it if need be, but strong enough that it holds a style on a windy day or in humid weather.

As an added bonus, the dispenser nozzle on the bottle is hands-down the easiest I've ever used. Hardly any pressure applied and this gloriously creamy mousse comes out effortlessly and foams up faster than baking soda and vinegar. It makes me that much more likely to reach for this bottle in the morning as opposed to other mousses that need a vise-grip and a heavy lean on the counter just to get out a piddly amount of barely-foam. The rest of the hair product manufacturing industry should take notes.

Ideally I'd give this mousse 4.5 out of 5, if only because of the slight drying effect it has on my hair compared to other mousses I've tried, and the fact that sometimes the volume it offers can be a little TOO much. But I'm nitpicking. This is a stellar product that delivers exactly what it promises and is well-made and -priced. Right now it's the only mousse I'd consider repurchasing when the bottle is empty, and that's saying something.

19 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2009 3:20:00 PM More reviews by dmtowns

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my HG mousse! It really turns my thin, flat hair into supermodel hair, especially when I blow dry. It's not heavy or sticky, and it makes my hair super soft and bouncy. The one complaint I have is regarding the packaging; this is the fourth bottle I have purchased in a row that has had the plastic dispenser part on top break off completely so I can't get the mousse out.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2009 5:54:00 PM More reviews by LaBellaVita323

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

my default mousse. i have thinner/fair hair, but you'd never know. big, sexy, hair ! the boyfriend loves ;)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2009 10:21:00 PM More reviews by Retromom104

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I found this rather run-of-the-mill. It didn't give me any added volume to my fine hair. It wasn't sticky or gunky but wasn't volumizing. I like Tresseme's heat activated volumizing mousse much better.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/17/2009 11:14:00 PM More reviews by jsellers

I usually like John Frieda products and my hair is incredibly fine, so I decided to give this mousse a try. My experiences with mousses have generally been heavy, sticky, and counter-productive, so imagine my surprise when this actually worked!

I work this through wet hair and blow-dry with a round brush. The results are great! I had forgotten how much it made a difference until I skipped it yesterday and ended up with sad, flat hair. This mousse isn't sticky and does not weigh down my hair. It is a tad drying, but that's nothing a good conditioner can't fix.

Bonus: it's fairly cheap and I can get it at my local Walgreen's. Definitely recommended!