December 20, 2014 | 1709 users online

Makeup Brushes - Sonia Kashuk - Highlighting Brush

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2011 9:09:00 PM More reviews by dearholly89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is the first duo-fiber stippling brush I've ever purchased, and so far so good. It applies evenly with minimal shedding. Mine only shed the first couple times I used it. It's held up great so far but I don't think I'll ever re-purchase once the brush ages since I'm constantly on the hunt for better brushes. Otherwise, a decent purchase.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2011 5:13:00 PM More reviews by DebWil

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I was looking for a basic stippling brush to use with liquid foundation. I read all the reviews and decided to give this one a try. I got it for 12.99 at Target. This has been one of the most dissapointing purchases I've made in a long time. Thankfully I didn't spend more on it. The brush sheds like crazy leaving black hairs in my foundation that I have to pick out - at least 4-5 per application. It is not dense enough to hold its shape so when I'm stippling, it splays out in every direction and the brush becomes so huge that I can't get coverage in any one area. I've tried washing and reshaping but I still get the shedding and lack of shape. I think this brush was intended for powders, but I know people rave about it for stippling liquids. I can't imagine using it as a highlighting brush because it is so large. Sorry guys, but it's definitely a thumbs down and going in the trash. I wouldn't even want to put it up for swap.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2010 2:51:00 PM More reviews by Lemonz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This brush is an OK brush.
It really isn't that dense, making application of product a bit flimsy. I use this brush for foundation, and I think that a denser brush would be more ideal.

It also sheds. It shed probably 6 hairs when I first used it right out of the package, and then 2 hairs after I washed it. I've never had a brush that cost $13 or more shed. It's also not that soft. My ecotools brushes, which are cheaper or of equal price are much, much softer.

I'm not a big fan of how it's painted white. The white makes it look cheap and like you bought it at the dollar store.

But because this is the only skunk brush that it is somewhat cheap and can easily be found for me, I will buy it again if something happens. Because I really don't feel like paying $40 for one at MAC.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2010 2:54:00 PM More reviews by katiexkaboom

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have some of Sonia Kashuk's other brushes and have been very impressed with the quality. Unfortunately, I can't say I'm super impressed with this brush. It is not very dense and takes a lot of time to stipple properly. Also, this brush has not worn well. It has started to shed after one being washed a few times and the hairs are not in good shape : ( I would not purchase this again. I am going to purchase a better stippling brush once this brush dies... or when I get fed up with it.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/20/2010 3:48:00 PM More reviews by ariannalynn

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

LOVE this brush!
It makes putting on foundation take so much less time and looks great! I don't have to use as much foundation and it looks so natural! I was a bit iffy about the price, because I'm a drugstore kinda girl, but it was really worth it. So happy with my purchase (:

*Also, for those that complain about shedding, don't let the black part of the hairs touch your face when you are blending. If you stipple and then lightly blend in using only the tips of the brush, you won't have a problem.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/9/2010 7:59:00 PM More reviews by Caseygrrl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Bought two of these stippling brushes. Use one for blush, the other for liquid foundation. This brush does an excellent job stippling foundation for an air-brushed look. Also applies heavily pigmented blush such as Nars Taos so sheerly it looks natural. The bristles are soft enough so that they do not bother my face and the brush is easily "squishable" for hard to stipple areas above the eye and along the nose. It does shed a hair now and then. And it washes well. For the money I don't think you can go wrong. And I DO think it's crazy to pay MAC price$ for what is a 'disposable' item you will replace in time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2010 7:22:00 PM More reviews by SteffStarrr

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I really love this brush- I have two of them and use one for blush and one for foundation. It is extremely soft and leaves a natural finish on my face. It also blends my blushes beautifully and allows me tolayer it. I don't have the mac 187 but I have the travel version, which is reputed to have worse quality than their regular brushes and I think the sk skunk is far superior to it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2010 6:29:00 PM More reviews by FakeJapSlayer

I love this brush. SO SOFT!!! :D

rated 2 of 5 on 11/28/2010 4:30:00 AM More reviews by Skitts

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Its not dense enough, end of story for me...
I've tried every way of using this,
powder blush, all foundations, highlight,
its just useless.
It makes everything streaky and its just aweful ...

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2010 1:14:00 AM More reviews by gorbe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This brush is not perfect, but decent for the price and I would repurchase. This is the only stippling brush I have (it's officially called a highlighting brush but I use it to stipple on liquid foundation) so I have nothing else to compare it to. The major downside that I noticed is that it does shed. It shed the first time I washed it. It has not shed yet while I've been using it to apply makeup. As far as shedding goes, ELF and ecotools brushes have this one beat, as not a single brush I have purchased from one of those brands has lost a single hair. Also it feels a BIT pointy on the skin, definitely not uncomfortable or anything, but not like soft and soothing like for example the ELF studio powder brush (which is amazing, but can't really stipple like this one does). So as far as affordable brushes goes, in general, I think ecotools is the winner, followed by ELF, and then (just based on this one brush, mind you) Sonia Kashuk.