April 17, 2014 | 1924 users online

Powder - Silk Naturals - Mineral Foundation

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2010 10:06:00 AM More reviews by kumintang

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

I'm on the fence about this product. My experience with mineral foundation so far only include everyday minerals, mac msfn and ciel minerals. I am currently using the perfect harmony sample kit, my opinion :
1. Finishing : the best so far comparing to the other 3 brands I've mentioned before. turns out the raving review is right in terms of finishing!
I got lucky by finding the right shade the first time I mixed it. I am south east asian, tan skin (around nc 37-40ish, I guess), my mac msfn is medium dark. My mixing on SN : one spoon of white and 3/4 spoon of warm gold. IT BLENDS FLAWLESSLY, without sinking in my pores or accentuate on several patchy dry skin due to my acne medication (I'm looking at you, EDM and Ciel..). It doesn't leave 'powdery' finish, it smoothen out my pores and evening out my uneven coloring (I have discoloration due to past acne bouts :( ). It's my skin but wayyy better.
I prefer this over mac because this covers better than mac msfn (duuh..for a fraction of the price, should've tried it first before splurge on mac). And comparing to EDM, i choose SN because the finishing is far more natural and doesnt leave a telltale sign that you're wearing foundation.

2. coverage : light to medium coverage. I'd like to try the heavy coverage cause I need it. It is buildable, though, and what I like most, when I add and add and add this powder, it doesn't turn cakey or anything.

3. doesnt break me out!I have very very sensitive skin (I broke out from my mac msfn and ciel)

4. doesnt oxidise on me

5. staying power. This I gotta take one lippie off. I have very oily skin. Even when I put on my silica powder first, It only stays on about 2 hours. That's also the case with EDM, Mac and Ciel. (anybody can suggest me a long staying mineral foundie?). for reference, with silica over cream foundie, my makeup can stay at least 5 hours (yeahh, live in humid and hot country, too)

so, would I buy it again?although I prefer cream foundation for the coverage and the staying power, but I do like to stock up for mineral foundie for my 'lazy makeup day'. And so far yes, my choice of mineral makeup is silk naturals. Unless I found other long staying mineral foundie, that is :)

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2010 12:51:00 PM More reviews by dagwich24

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This foundation feels so nice on the skin. It is very easy to find the right shade,a bit messy,but custom. I mixed olive,buttery gold, bronzey glow powder, and white and it was perfect for me. It was my match and gave me a slight bronze fresh out of the sun look. I look how customizable this product is. I use it in heavy coverage just so I do not have to use much concealer,if any.My skin is great, have a few large pores,blemish here and there, and a bit of darkish circles.This cleared it up. My face has a healthy no makeup look glow. My pores are minimized,which I thank there finishing powder;tinted Blur for,and I use Sleep in a Jar,some blushes,and glows. I only need to use a little bit to get my face flawless.Bravo Silk Naturals.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2010 7:33:00 PM More reviews by desida

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I ordered the sample kit a little over a week ago, received it two days later (I am floored by the customer service from this company!), and have been so impressed so far that I just ordered...um...a LOT of full-sized products from them. Finally, foundation that matches my pale, virtually unmatchable skin perfectly! And it looks pretty natural - I tried Bare Minerals before this, and not only was the shade I tried (Fair) a bad match, making me look ashy and sickly, the finish made every blemish, flake, and fine line stand out in sharp relief. I'm only 28, I shouldn't look like I have crow's feet yet, damnit! This looks much better. The Medium coverage also works well as a concealer - the original coverage version is actually enough coverage for me as a foundation, which I wasn't expecting. Very pleased so far!
*edit* Over six months later, I am still hooked on Silk Naturals - I like the All-Purpose foundation a little better now, but still love the original. I can't stop buying from this company, and am very confident that this is the best choice for people with very light, very dark, or otherwise hard-to-match skintones. Plus, the coverage and finish are great! I use this every day.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/2/2010 8:34:00 AM More reviews by lesliemc1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This gets great reviews here but it's a definite "no" for me. Don't mind mixing my own mineral makeup if it results in the best shade but I could not get Silk Naturals to work. I spent quite a bit of time measuring and mixing and adjusting but it always came out "off" to "way off". The "ivory" base seems to have a grayish cast which then taints every mixture. Plus it was very drying (guess that's why other reviews say to make sure you moisturize well before using... but there's only so much moisturizer you can put on before makeup). So I'm still in search of EM alternative. Maybe this stuff works okay for young girls but I would not recommend for anyone 30+.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/1/2010 8:57:00 AM More reviews by queenpant

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm a NC25-NC30. I typically don't like the foundation shades makeup artists pick for me because they usually make my complexion look dull or washed out. I'm one of those people that are kind of in between shades—(a blue-eyed, dark ash blonde that tans easily, with blue-green veins). I received a sample of Laura Mercier's Real Sand Mineral Powder and LOVED it. However it is just a tad too light. The bottom line is that every ready-made foundation shade I try and like is just a tad "not right." So, I decided to give Silk Naturals a try.

I was happily using my Silk Naturals mix, but couldn't seem to match up a blush that looked good. I ordered some more when my sample mix started to get low. I decided to completely follow the instructions with the new batch, which meant examining the mixed shade outdoors. I took my ready-made makeup favorites with me for the outside test. Boy was I shocked. My two favorite ready mixed foundations (Laura Mercier Real Sand and Borghese light) were my best matches! The Silk Nautrals sample I made was way too dark.

I mixed more white powder into my original sample and an extra scoop of Buttery Gold. My ratio is 3 dark ebony, 2 buttery gold, to about 20 white (maybe more white). But the ratio doesn't really matter as you can add more color/more white as your complexion changes.

This is what help me blend the perfect shade: I swatched a white tissue with the Laura Mercier Real Sand and the Borhghese light and tested my mix against them. When I got the mix to where I wanted it (a tad less pale than the LM) I was done. Viola! It was perfect in the outside test and my blushes worked well again. Now I feel that my foundation is exactly right and I love the product.

Don't forget that you need to allow the foundation to set. Also, make sure your skin is well moisturized before you start to apply the foundation. I also spritz some moisturizing water on after applying the finishing powder to make sure I don’t have a powdery finish.

Update: I stopped using this. Nothing wrong, but perhaps the added trouble of mixing and my satasifaction with LM and Clinque over-powered the urge.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/19/2010 10:47:00 AM More reviews by Peaches27

Well, I feel a bit unhappy. Not sure if all these reviews are fake, or if I am just the odd man out in the midst of the 50+ reviewers.
I did not like this stuff, not really even one little bit. I bought samples, spent $16 and wasn't sure, thought maybe I used the wrong mixture (too much glow?), the product didn't blend well and for some reason one side of my cheek looked really bad, like the makeup got extra thick there and couldn't make it look even, and the glow was too much as well.
So I spent another $15 to try again, fail! I guess I just don't get it. I have tried probably 5 other mineral makeups and this has to be the worst one.
I do like some of the other products, but not foundation. I'll stick with the pre-mixed stuff.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2010 1:57:00 PM More reviews by aliford

LOVE. I have tried all sorts of mineral foundations, and none of them worked. Some didn't give me the coverage, some were really shiny. some were the wrong shade. I thought this would be the same, but no. I love this product. Mixing your color is not hard at all, it took me about 5 minutes to get my perfect shade, and nothing ever matches me perfectly bc I'm very fair. I have medium coverage and it is fantastic, it covers everything- if I have a pimple, scab, dark spot....I don't have to use concealor. Coverage is extremely buildable. I have found that you must use the right brush, and I bought their long handled flat top brush which makes all the difference in applying mineral foundation. I stipple it on and then buff--flawless. I have gotten several compliments since beginning this product. I have been using this for a few weeks and have not broken out, maybe two small zits in all that time but I can't attribute it to the foundation. At the end of the day, my face still looks good and it looks so natural. I asked my partner what she thought, and she said oh wow, it looks like real skin. Excellent price and ingredients. They also include very generous samples and freebies and have a forum if you need color help. HIGHLY RECOMMEND BUT USE THE RIGHT BRUSH for best results.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/3/2010 1:01:00 AM More reviews by lulabellabeauty

Ok so i don't like this anymore because it made my skin breakout!! I very rarely breakout from makeup so i was very disappointed and sad!! I think ive figured out what it was. Silica. Silica can clog pores and actually cause cystic acne. Awful! So needless to say, Im back to searching....
Edit: I actually think that its all mineral makeup that breaks me out, except ironically (BE which I don't like!!) I think it is the higher levels of titanium and/or zinc oxide. I do good it seems if I use it occassionally, just not everyday. So I've just been using the finishing powder(because I absolutely love that stuff!! and since i thought silica was breaking me out, I stopped!) which is awesome stuff and really evens out my skintone, minimizes pores, and absorbs any shine i may have and adds the right amount of glow!! SO perfect!! IT's actually all I need right now!! I use the golden temptryst. IT's gorgeous! It kinda also adds a hint of bronze and I like it better than my park avenue princess which can get a little to sparkly, but is still so pretty.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2010 6:26:00 PM More reviews by brigidbrigid

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Love, love, love this! Stays on all day long. No smudging, no oiliness. I thought my other mineral makeup brands were great until I tried this -- they aren't, THIS IS! I was nervous about mixing my own color, but it's so easy and so much more affordable! Plus, I can adjust the shade depending on where my (sunless) tan is at :)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2010 12:32:00 AM More reviews by levitate35

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

The.Best.Mineral Makeup.EVER.
Seriously, being South asian with olive/yellow undertones suck interms of finding the right foundation. I mean, yes there are some really amazing foundations out there for us (Becca, Bobbi brown), but on a student budget, they just arent attainable.
Most foundations tend to not have the correct colour or are either too grey/ashy or pinky, or incredible powdery and cakey (cough* everyday minerals), and to be honest, despite my skin being scarville, Id rather go natural, than pay money to look grey and cakey (im speaking of both liquid and powder makeup).
Silk naturals mineral foundation on the other hand is a far cheaper option, that allows you to mix your own shade, and with enough playing around, you will have your EXACT shade. As i said before most foundations tend to be grey or pink, and for the most part I attribute that to the base texture (in regards to powder foundation, it is usually not milled finely enough).
Therein lies the magic of Silk naturals. Karen has milled the powder just fine enough so that the powder isnt cakey, but not fine enough to sacrifice coverage.
That being said, the coverage of the original formulation isnt intense, but can most certainly be built up to full coverage without cakeyness or the really powdery matte finish that leaves your skin looking corpsey (he finish is a lovely 'soft matte' finish).
Try it out peeps!