August 1, 2014 | 2025 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Alba Botanica - Un-petroleum Multi-Purpose Jelly

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2011 3:18:00 PM More reviews by whisper

I'm on my second tube of this. It's been an absolute lifesaver for me during my orientation phase w/Atralin (Rx tretinoin/retinoid gel). The consistency is ever so slightly thinner/runnier than Vaseline, and there is a distinct smell to it, although entirely natural (i.e. only from the ingredients themselves and not any added fragrance). I like the tube packaging because it doesn't get messy; it's also very hygienic. I apply it around my mouth, eyes, and the outer corners of my nose at bedtime to soothe my temporarily irritated skin. It immediately gives me relief. Previous to this I'd been using petroleum jelly, which also soothed my skin but seemed less effective because I'd still wake up with peeling around my mouth (whereas w/the Alba stuff that doesn't happen). I really like that it's a natural and simple product that does what I need it to do. I actually keep the tube right next to my bed it reminds me to massage a small dab of it into my cuticles at night so that I can wake up having soft & supple hands. And I do! So it's great for softening cuticles and the hands in general. I've also used it to remove my eye makeup, and it did indeed work for that as well. (Although I won't be doing that again, nor would I personally recommend it for that, especially if you're a contact lens wearer like I am; it made my vision blurry for the rest of the evening, which was very annoying and just altogether unpleasant). I purchase it at Whole Foods for around $6 or $7, and the tube lasts me well over a year w/daily (well, nightly) use. I will continue to repurchase again and again, probably forever, because it's just one of those indispensable no-nonsense-sort-of-does-it-all type of products that I cannot really imagine being without.
Highly recommend!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2011 5:01:00 AM More reviews by In2th3night

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is just like petroleum jelly....but it is NOT...it contains: castor seed oil , coconut oil, beeswax, hydrogenated castor oil, vitamin e....that's all. I bought this for my dry cheeks /rosacea...and it is intensely soothing if your skin is so dry that it hurts ....or your hands are cracking from dryness ( feet also) it can take a while to sink in , though ....depending on how much you put on. I use this at night...on hands and face. I wake up to even toned smooth skin! I love it... some may find this too heavy , though ....kinda like vaseline/petroleum jelly.It's great that its not an un-renewable resource with potential contaminates, and it lets your skin breathe.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2010 10:35:00 PM More reviews by mooneyes89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Great alternative to petroleum. this is a bit thicker and harder to spread, but I think it lasts longer. I use this on my lips, eyes ~DOESNT STING LIKE VASELINE~, legs for strechmarks, hands for heavy duty cream. Can use it ANYWEAR, great to carry in purse for the winter.

Great as a chaptstick/lip balm/ lipgloss. Can mix minerals in with it to get color. I would like this in smaller tubes to easily apply on my lips though!

However it still should not be eaten because of the hydrogenated oil, but small amounts dont hurt.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2010 7:20:00 PM More reviews by brass8

I love this product, but it really only works amazing for very specific things. I would never apply this to my face (it's very, very thick, and oily and waxy). BUT, it does act as an amazing chap stick if your lips are very chapped.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/19/2010 2:45:00 PM More reviews by nicolecamren

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

tried this in October 2009 and before then i had an really didnt have to many skin problem just the once a month pmt breakout. I had moved to georgia and i think bcause of stress and humidity i got a couple pimples (which was strange for me) and not wanting to deal with that i saw a video by kandee johnson and she said she used Mychelle's Fruit cleanser and unpetroleum and her skin looks really good so i went online and ordered both of them i used this for about a week when i started to notice a series pimples which looked like rash i continued to use it for three more days until my mom told me that my faced looked bad. So i stopped using both things thinking that my skin would heal and go back....here it is august and my face is still looking bad i've been trying 9 months to get my skin back. Please be careful with this i dont know if it was the unpetroleum or the cleanser ( i think it was a combination of both) but i really regret ever using this stuff on my face. Works good on your lips though. Which is why i gave it a 2 instead of a 1

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2010 9:35:00 PM More reviews by articia527

I really hate the idea of using petroleum products at all, and have avoided them as much as possible over the years, despite their widespread popularity and usage. If you think about what is in that jar, it makes smearing it all over yourself a whole lot less appealing.. in my opinion, anyway.

Now FINALLY:

a vaseline substitute that works WITHOUT petroleum! It can literally be used for EVERYTHING..feet, lips, face, elbows, and even on cuts and scrapes.

I am overjoyed about this product and tell everyone I know about it. Try it, and you will be grateful, as I am.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2010 2:58:00 PM More reviews by janetgrace

I was hesitant to purchase because I thought it would be another Vaseline. Wrong! It give my lips excellent hydration and does not interfere with listick. Apply like Vaseline in areas that need special attention. Some girls on the boards use this all over their face and see amazing plumping effects, which I'm sure is due to it's moisturizing properties. I never loved Vaseline, used mostly Aquaphor. This is easier to blend and is not tacky at all. I immediatley saw the difference. Must be due to the absence of petroleum. Petroleum never did a thing for me, as it irritated my exzema on hands. Great and so inexpensive. Put a lil bit in an empty pot for you make up bag. So many useful purposes!

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2010 5:32:00 PM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Bought this on sale at Wholefoods. It contains nothing but a blend of waxes and oils and no petroleum which is nice. I apply this to my lips, knees, and elbows. It has a thick consistency, but you only need to use a little bit. I noticed it takes a while to sink but once it does, my skin is left feeling velvety and moisturized and it stays that way for most of the day. Takes care of any bodily flakiness due to eczema or dryness and moisturizes cuticles. This makes a great addition to your medicine cabinet and it's a great healthy alternative to regular vaseline.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2010 4:23:00 PM More reviews by shesays514

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Great product and great, natural alternative to Vaseline. A bottle will last for ages but I always have one in my cabinet! I also love the fact that it IS a bottle and you don't have to stick your fingers in a jar.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/9/2010 4:03:00 PM More reviews by alicia1kalo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was a good product for someone who likes thick stuff. I didn't really find use to it and found that using other things worked better, like olive oil.