October 2, 2014 | 1939 users online

Powder - Mary Kay - Mineral Powder Foundation

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2011 11:46:00 AM More reviews by snowshoe73

This mineral foundation is horrible! The range of shades is small. The one I picked (Ivory 2) went on very chalky and flat--it looked more like I needed to wash my face than anything else! Of course, if you look at the ingredient list, you'll see that Talc is up there, which would explain the chalkiness. It doesn't cover well and if you try to build up the coverage the worse it looks. I'm normally a Mary Kay fan but this one was one of the worst products they came up with: their liquid foundations and tinted moisturizers are far better. Save your money and pass on this one.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/13/2011 4:01:00 AM More reviews by lanlalit

This stuff is awful. And I have used a lot of mineral foundations.. first of all this contains talc and mica.. these are cheap mineral fillers used in cosmetics. They DO NOT benefit your skin at all. Talc actually causes irritation and clogs pore while mica just makes your skin shimmery... and this stuff is NOT foundation.. it's literally like powder.. it doesn't blend in with your skin, it just sits on top.. if you have oily skin you can forget this product. I highly recommend BareMinerals.. at first I was not impressed with it, but after using this Mary Kay stuff I will use BareMinerals for the rest of my life.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/13/2011 2:45:00 AM More reviews by lovelydiva

Compare to other mineral foundations i've used, this one is a bit different. Very light non cakey. I just use this as a finishing powder on top of my liquid foundation. I use Beige 1 which matches my skin quite well. The packaging looks quite small for the price but overall this is one of the good mineral foundations i must say.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2011 7:26:00 PM More reviews by ellielane119

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

First of all, I'd like to say I've been using this product for almost a full year now. It is, in short, amazing. I use it with the special MKMPF brush, and I find it works really well. It's very light coverage, but that can be either a pro or a con depending on what you like. Personally, I just want a light foundation that will even out my skin tone from acne marks and general redness. This foundation definitely does just that. Another thing that I definitely like about it is how natural it looks. It is really the only face makeup I wear - no need for concealer! How amazing is that? Another thing I love about this product is how long it lasts. Even though I wear it almost religiously every day, it has lasted me six months. Which is a nice reason for wanting to splurge the money for it. Bottom Line: if you want light but natural coverage and are willing to pay the price, go for it. You won't be disappointed!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/4/2011 10:03:00 PM More reviews by MissRubyJones

Age: Unknown Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Grey

I've been using Mary Kay's Mineral Powder Foundation since shortly after it was introduced several years ago. Sometimes, I stray to another powder foundation, but I always come back to MKMPF because it works perfectly with my skin. I like a light foundation, one that just evens out my skin tone, and that's exactly what this does. I'm not sure how it would work if you needed more coverage. I apply this with a regular makeup sponge, btw, because using a brush is just too messy with MMU.

I took off a lippie for two reasons:
1. If you have super oily skin like I do, you will be an oil slick in a short time if you use this alone. I always use the Physicians' Formula Mineral Veil under this, and it keeps me from getting too greasy.
2. It's messy. But that's to be expected from loose powder formulas, I suppose. Still, I hate it and wish I could find a liquid or other foundation I liked better so that I could stop using this!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/6/2011 11:38:00 AM More reviews by riamaynes

-Light coverage.
-More of a loose powder than a foundation
-Gives a smooth finish
-Feels light on skin

I prefer their sheer mineral pressed powder instead of this foundation.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2011 4:21:00 PM More reviews by stephani99

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using this since last summer and really like it. I got it to try with my last skincare order (the Timewise Anti-Aging set, awesome stuff in it's own right) but didn't have high hopes for this based on reviews. However, YMMV and I generally buck trends by hating stuff everyone else loves and vice versa so I figured it was worth a try knowing I could return if I hated it. Glad I gave it a chance because it's replaced my other mineral foundations entirely. This doesn't make me itch or break out (it lacks the bismuth found in most mmu); gives my normal-dry skin a lovely natural look while providing great coverage. Doesn't look cakey or 'made up' (unless I really pack it on or don't buff it in well, then it can), doesn't feel like I have foundation on and doesn't require much, if any, touchup during an average day. It also does not settle into the laugh lines I have, which is what sets it apart from other mmu which tends to do that, or they were simply too drying for me where this is not, despite that it contains talc.

I use my own brushes, not the one that MK makes for this, and they work just fine so I see no need to change to theirs but might give it a try someday if it comes with. I use MAC 187 for sheer coverage, Alima 25 (original) and most recently, the ELF flat top powder brush for heavier coverage. I rarely need concealer after applying this because it covers what I need it to, evens out my skin nicely and I can layer it in areas that need more TLC (under my eyes, for example). I wear Ivory 2 during the summer when I'm@ NC25; Ivory 1 during the winter. I don't need a primer with this although I will use one if I have time but like the below reviewer says, it does help to pay attention to your skin routine which is a good thing to do anyway as everything just looks better over well cared-for skin! I do wear a moisturizer with sunscreen under it (currently also by MK, the Timewise SPF30) which doesn't affect the application, longevity or look but it's the same brand so I expected them to play together nicely. A little of this truly does go a long way like the instructions say so I've barely made a dent in my jar. I love the sifter top, no mess, no fuss, great for travel. Overall this is a winner for me; worth the price and has become my go-to foundation on a regular basis, especially during the summer. Because I look so flawless and it is so easy to achieve with this one single product, I will definitely repurchase (and have).

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2011 2:54:00 PM More reviews by Peapodsmom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have been using this stuff off and on for about a year...I strayed for a while and wore BE and, while I do like it, I think the un-shininess of the MK is better in our 100+ degree heat.
You DO need to prep properly before using this foundation. That means keeping up your whole skin care regimen. It loves clean, exfoliated, moisturized skin. I've found that the best use of this, for me, is to first apply the TimeWise tinted moisturizer (I put it on with a foundation brush and a spritz of rosewater if it dries too fast), after my concealer (when I really need it). Then I put the mineral foundation on using the MK flat-top brush. One coat works great to even my skintone out and soften the edges of my concealer.
I use Beige 1 in both the TM and MMU. I suspect that, come winter, I might drop back to Beige 0.5, but haven't tried it yet. (I wear Golden Medium in BE.) My concealer, for the record, is Rimmel Match Perfection in 245 Light (usually mixed with Benefit Ooh La Lift).
Please note that I do have some crinkles (I just turned 50!) and freckles (sigh), and this does not cover those completely. It does soften them a lot, though. So, this is certainly not heavy coverage (i can't begin to imagine what it would take to make all that look perfect!), but it IS my skin a hundred times better.
One other thing: I did notice, when I first started using this, that it is critical to keep your brush clean. I had a few nasty little breakouts before I figured out that my brush needs to be washed much more frequently than others. I have no clue WHY, but it made a huge difference. It's a small price for good skin, though!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/15/2011 1:18:00 AM More reviews by MUA23

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The worst of the mineral powder foundations I've ever used. The first ingredient is talc, yes, a mineral, but also a known skin irritant and can cause breakouts. Another negative aspect to talc (especially as a first ingredient) is that is tends to cast a whitish glow in this product. This is what makes the foundation a heavier coverage product, however there are other ways of a achieving a full coverage effect ie using a little concealer along with a mineral powder foundation. As if this were not bad enough, I found their mineral foundation brush to be very scratchy, even after washing it. Both are a no for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/13/2011 2:23:00 AM More reviews by NigheanRuadh

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This was a last ditch effort in trying mineral makeups. It really is more of a loose powder than a foundation, even with multiple layers. It is really light weight, but so is the coverage. I am not impressed with the color selection at all. I am using the lightest and I feel like it gives me such a white cakey look. The next color up made me look like I used bronzer it was so dark.
The jar is huge, so it does last forever. I'm just going to stick with translucent setting powders from now on. Not repurchasing this or any mineral makeup again.