September 23, 2014 | 1880 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Chanel - Le Blanc de Chanel Sheer Illuminating Base

rated 2 of 5 on 2/12/2012 3:12:00 AM More reviews by GetSmart

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I just want to say flat out that this product is NOT worth the money. It really has no 'wow' factor, and sorry, but the spatula is such a stupid idea?! Seriously?! Chanel, how hard is it to design this with a pump.
This really stung my eyes, more so than any other 'base' that i've used.
Also, after flipping through the Chanel booklet that came with this product, NOWHERE does it say in the list of 'claims' that it also makes make-up last longer. It basically says it illuminates your skin, giving a youthful glow.
Does this mean I should really have to wear this ONTOP of a primer that actually claims to make my make-up last longer?
Do I have a youthful glow? Meh! Is it luxurious? Meh. Over priced? Yeah!
I was a HUGE fan of the original base that was a white paste and came in a big tub.
This is not what I thought it would be, and I regret spending money on it.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2012 2:51:00 AM More reviews by AnnaTheFlautist

Ah! This primer is BEAUTIFUL. I love its silky feel on my skin, how it minimises the redness caused by acne in the middle of my eyebrows (lucky me) and how it makes my skin look absolutely FABULOUS. I wear Chanel's VitaLumiere Aqua (in Rose Beige) over the top, and together they make my skin literally glow (with a flawless finish). It really is a skin-perfecting cosmetic, as even when I remove my makeup at night it looks heaps better than it did in the morning. A pump would be heaps more convenient than that flimsy applicator which is easy to lose track of. I apply it with a foundation brush. Other than that, I would strongly recommend it! It smells really special too :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2012 11:24:00 AM More reviews by JolieBelle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is the best primer I have ever used, and I strongly doubt there will ever appear another one as good as this one on the market, at least not in the foreseeable future. This is my opinion on why...

This product is marketed as a 'sheer illuminating base' but it manages to do so much more than that. To me, it isn't just illuminating, it's perfecting. It is sheer indeed, one cannot detect it, and the best part about it is that it doesn't look like a primer on the skin, it doesn't alter the foundation, powder, or itself, if worn alone, and it just works wonders even by itself. Truly amazing.

I also have Clarins' Smooth Perfector, or whatever the little red jar is called (I can't remember right now...), but the differences are striking. So, to make things easier, I will do a little comparison since the Clarins one kinda works like 99% of the 'perfection primers' (silicone, etc).

The Chanel does not have glitter. It manages to illuminate the skin by casting a 'light' effect layer; it looks white when you apply it, because the color of the product is white, but it turns to physical 'glow' on the skin as you're blending it in. I think darker complexions can successfully rock this product since it makes the skin look like it's glowing from within; actually, i guess a dark olive/brown, or even seriously dark brown skin would look GORGEOUS with the glow this product gives. It is simply amazing.

The effect of this primer is something hard to explain, from both a normative perspective so to speak, and in comparison with the Clarins one. Basically, the texture is very light, you don't feel it on the skin, yet it somehow manages to chromatically correct any skin imperfection- spots, redness, even blemishes or pimples/acne. It just changes your skin color and uniformity, without settling into pores or lines, like the Clarins one does.

That one is a silicone-based primer which is especially aimed at filling up the wrinkles/lines/pores and creating a uniform canvas for the foundation application. This one does it by itself; no wonder many reviewers have mentioned wearing the primer by itself and feeling and looking great this way.

I used it with many foundations- powder, liquid, creme, etc. Yesterday I wore it with Rimmel's Wake Me Up, which, by itself (applied on top of moisturizer, no primers) has a quite uneven aspect; it does a great job at covering and everything, but the effect doesn't compare to the one it has when applied after this primer. The foundation just adhered to my skin like magic, it 'stuck' onto it, pretty much like Estee Lauder's Double Wear (minus the heaviness), it looked perfectly airbrushed, no flaws, no lines, nothing, not even around the mouth (where i have to use something cause i hate those dang lines!).

The coloring was beautiful, meaning that this primer managed to make the color of the foundation stand out, a beautiful milky beige (I have the foundation in Ivory), perfect and flawless. It even looked slightly powdered without powder on top, not greasy or oily at all, yet natural. After settling it with powder it lasted for about 10 hours, when i got home it looked intact (minus the blush, that had worn off). It was a fantastic surprise.

All in all, i think this primer does what Shiseido's mascara base does for the lashes- no matter how crappy the foundation you apply on top, it makes your skin look amazing, even in flash photography. I love it.

Been having mine for a year now (i think), used it several times only (special occasions since it's not a big bottle and it costs quite a lot, i paid €53 in duty free), however i will continue to repurchase this when i run out. It has become my 'secret' and i am so happy to have found it.

So, bottom line, if you want something that does everything Clarins' primer does, filling in fine lines, pore minimizing, perfect foundation application, PLUS some major natural glow and illumination of your skin, PLUS long wear for your foundation (no matter how cheap it is), PLUS flawless look, PLUS natural aspect (no cakiness, no running), MINUS that greasy feeling and rather heavy look of Clarins' primer (especially if you use a thicker foundation on top), THIS is the way to go. Highly highly recommended. Will absolutely NEVER buy another primer than this one.

Perhaps it's just my skintype, so, given the particularities we all have, plus the high price, i strongly recommend everyone to try and get their hands on some samples at least, and see the difference.

16 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2012 12:41:00 AM More reviews by christina1975

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Originally purchased skeptically to tone down the look of the Hydramax+ tinted moisturizer (also Chanel) which i love the look and feel of but was a tad too dark for my skin tone. Mixed with the Blanc de Chanel, it was perfect! I am on my third bottle now, as I realized that this product does a million things. On my "good" days I can use it over my moisturizer (Laura Mercier Flawless Tone Perfecting Creme) and skip foundation altogether. When used with foundation, I only need to use a drop or two of foundation as the Blanc helps your foundation go a long way. The packaging is unfortunate, but I apply it directly to a round makeup sponge and that seems to work the best. When the bottle gets low, I just store it upside down until it's empty. It's a perfect product....adds glow without being glittery or overly dewy.... lets you touch up and add glow for evening without having to re-do your entire face.... nice highlight for browbone.... it's just an all-around great product. Chanel has an odd habit of discontinuing their great products so I stock up on this one whenever I have 45$ I don't know what to do with...lol. It is a bit pricey, but for a go-to "holy grail" product, we all know it is worth it!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/11/2012 11:17:00 AM More reviews by beernice

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Works averagely. Don't like the packaging as it does not come with a pump. Easily spilled! However, its watery texture makes it easy to glide on the face. Not the best make up base so far...

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2011 2:31:00 PM More reviews by SelenaSerena

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This greatly improves the way my skin looks with and without foundation. It just imparts luminosity and healthy radiance to the skin with NO sparkle or shine.
I also use it to highlight the cheekbones.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2011 11:59:00 AM More reviews by katemechin

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Great primer, love it!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/26/2011 7:39:00 AM More reviews by kitkat73

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

After having this for almost a year already I still can't make up my mind about it. I don't have much experience with primers. I don't need the oil control and I rarely do a "full make-up" face. The reason I bought this was to mix it with my foundations - I'm very fair and I end up with a lot of foundations that are just a bit too dark. This ended up being too sheer to really work for this purpose (it does work to make heavy foundations that are too matte or with too much coverage for my liking silkier and sheerer, though.) However, I recently purchased a powder foundation that was borderline dark - and which would oxidise and worsen throughout the day. This makes an amazing base for that. It actually makes it look lighter and prevents the shade from darkening. It also prevents the powder from emphasizing dry/flaky areas, which is often a big problem for me. I need to use quite a heavy moisturizer underneath which seems to prevent the fragrance and cones from upsetting my skin too much. I TRY to use a thin layer of this - but of course it's pretty much impossible to get the right amount out of that bottle. I also sometimes use this as a subtle highlighter. With my current use this would probably last me 2-3 years, at least - but it apparently only lasts 12 months after opening, which will mean throwing away 90% of the product in a couple of months. If Chanel would only package this in a more hygienic and practical way it would probably be fine to use much longer.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2011 1:40:00 AM More reviews by Charissa1213

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

My make up routine has never involved a primer, but out of sheer curiousity, i decided to give Le Blanc a shot. The price is a bit on the steep side, but I foresee 1 bottle will be able to last me for quite a bit. Ahhh the infamous packaging problem. I really wonder why Chanel didnt add a pump to this one. It would make things so much easier. Being a clumsy klutz, trying to pour out a bit for use is definitely a no-no. The stick provided is totally pointless too. The best way for me to use this was to tilt the capped bottle upside down, unscrew the cap, and use that bit of product that is stuck to the cap using my fingers. probably not the most hygenic method, but it does the job. :) I love the heavenly smell of Le Blanc, and it feels almost like a luxury to apply it in the mornings. After applying a thin layer of Le Blanc, redness on my face was minimized, and overall my face just looks fresher. Applying foundation is a breeze after this (current foundation- Clinque's Perfectly Real liquid foundation). The overall look is really radiant, and makes the skin look flawless. It doesnt alter the colour of your foundation. Throughout the day, I noticed that my makeup stays much longer, and oil don't shine through till almost the end of the day. LOVES! will definitely repurchase. :)

rated 3 of 5 on 9/6/2011 7:11:00 AM More reviews by gemini27

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This has definitely improved the appearance of my mature fine and sensitive skin when applied without moisturizer and under my Vitalumiere.
However, the bottle is a nightmare, with a wide neck and a virtually useless plastic stick. The plastic stick is presumably to keep the contents of the bottle clean. But where do you put the stick after use? It won't even balance nicely on the top of the lid, so when it falls off you have to clean it or you might as well never have bothered with the stick.
Why on earth does this product not come in a small pump bottle of the type that contains Vitalumiere?
Then to add to the insult, the tester bottle of Blanc de Chanel in the store display from which we sample the product does come in a small pump bottle.
What on earth are Chanel thinking of?
If it wasn't for the hopeless packaging I'd have probably rated this product a 5 overall, because the expense would have been justified if the packaging was appropriate.
Next time I'll look for a similar product in appropriate packaging.