Chanel Le Blanc de Chanel Sheer Illuminating Base

3.9

Ingredients: aqua, ethylhexyl palmitate, talc, neopentyl glycol diethylhexanoate, cyclopentasiloxane, silica, caprylic/capric triglyceride, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel extract) water, propylene glycol, glycerin, PEG-30 dipolyhydroxystearate, HDI/trimethylol hexyllactone crosspolymer, aluminium hydroxide, butylene glycol, alcohol, phenoxyethanol, tribehenin, silica dimethyl silyate, methylparaben, disteardimonium hectorite, propylparaben, fragrance, BHT, laminaria digitata extract, ascorbyl palmitate, glyceryl stearate, disodium stearoyl glutamate, citric acid, sodium hyaluronate, glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) root extract, butylparaben, ethylparaben, denatonium benzoate, CI 77891 (titanium dioxide), mica.

on 6/3/2012 7:32:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

I find this product a shame. Chanel has money enough to not use cheap conservatives...My skin burned on it...

I lost 36 euros :/

on 5/12/2012 11:45:00 AM

Definitely not worth how much I paid for it. It is a creamy texture, which is definitely not good for dry skin! The bottle is not very sanitary either, I did not like the idea of dipping my fingers in, or tilting the content out on to the back of my hand. They do provide an applicator/spatula with it, but I would prefer a pump any day.

on 5/10/2012 6:47:00 AM

I love this primer! I was looking for a product that would smooth out my skin and not feel heavy under foundationa and this does that and more. It makes a great base for any kind of face product; powder foundation, liquid foudation or even just using a MAC MSF. My skin feels so soft all day, the makeup lasts longer and keeps its true color. Doesn't make my face shiny. I've used Laura Mercier Primer oil free (still made my face look shiny by the end of the day) and Smashbox Photofinish (which I think is great as well). The only thing about this product is I wish it had a pump for application instead of that dumb white "scooper" which tends to take more out thus product wasted. It's a little expensive but it's Chanel- to me its worth it. The white formula does blend well- I didn't see any white color on blending. I love it!

on 5/4/2012 3:01:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I had read good things about this on the Internet from Bloggers I Trust, and I've been looking for a primer that has some moisturising qualities (my usual Smashbox mattifier is starting to make me increasingly dry). So I wandered by the Chanel counter and asked about this.
The very, very nice woman there applied it first to half of my face, so I could see the difference, then all of it, "so that I could go away and find out how much I love it." Sadly, I do not love it.
She said that Chanel "doesn't do matte, because they want skin to look natural and dewy." I looked dewy all right, bordering on sweaty. It's also got a white sheen to it that outdoes any sunblock I've ever worn, and felt very heavy on my face.
Still, I was going to give it a chance -- but within half an hour, I started reacting to the fairly strong fragrance, my eyes began to swell and itch, and I had to wash it off.
Absolutely not for me.

on 4/3/2012 9:15:00 AM

I bought this primer yesterday, so I cannot give you any final review on it but I would like to share my first thoughts with you. Those who know Chanel makeup do not need a presentation of the luxurious package and the exquisite glass bottle the product comes in. I do not like it though that this primer does not have a pump. I found a little white stick in the package and it was written in the instructions to put it in the bottle and how much comes out with the stick should be enough for the entire face. I should try never to put my fingers in the bottle, I wouldn't find that very hygienic. The liquid itself is white but grabbing it into the skin it becomes invisible. It feels nice but my skin does not become as smooth as it does with my Lancome La Base Primer. On the other hand, I must admit that my makeup is definitely lasting longer with this Chanel Le Bland Primer. I will keep you posted about my more developed opinion later. Let me know if you are interested.

on 3/25/2012 12:27:00 AM

My first reaction was - this is a Chanel? Why does it feel like Banana Boat sunscreen? The texture is exactly how you would expect Banana Boat sunscreens to be - thick and gives you a white cast.

I accidentally poured out extra so I decided to lather some on my right forearm. Even after 2 hour I can see the ugly white cast on my right forearm. Secondly it is greasy and sticky. I feel like I need to wash my face. It makes my make up feel heavy. Yuck. Skip this and get a banana boat. It is also a pain to remove.

The next morning I woke up with 2 new pimples. Who would've guessed that Chanel can cause pimples (blasphemy!).

I was disappointed with this product for the price tag. It doesn't really seem to actually do anything. It isn't luminous enough to add a glow under foundations or tinted moisturizers, and it is only mildly hydrating. My foundation doesn't look that different without it. Also I didn't like the fact that it is white, because if you use a lot (like dry skin people like me do) then your face is turned this ghostly white.

Although I like the chunky glass bottle, they really should have designed this with a pump. The spatula idea is crazy.

on 2/12/2012 3:12:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I just want to say flat out that this product is NOT worth the money. It really has no 'wow' factor, and sorry, but the spatula is such a stupid idea?! Seriously?! Chanel, how hard is it to design this with a pump.
This really stung my eyes, more so than any other 'base' that i've used.
Also, after flipping through the Chanel booklet that came with this product, NOWHERE does it say in the list of 'claims' that it also makes make-up last longer. It basically says it illuminates your skin, giving a youthful glow.
Does this mean I should really have to wear this ONTOP of a primer that actually claims to make my make-up last longer?
Do I have a youthful glow? Meh! Is it luxurious? Meh. Over priced? Yeah!
I was a HUGE fan of the original base that was a white paste and came in a big tub.
This is not what I thought it would be, and I regret spending money on it.

Ah! This primer is BEAUTIFUL. I love its silky feel on my skin, how it minimises the redness caused by acne in the middle of my eyebrows (lucky me) and how it makes my skin look absolutely FABULOUS. I wear Chanel's VitaLumiere Aqua (in Rose Beige) over the top, and together they make my skin literally glow (with a flawless finish). It really is a skin-perfecting cosmetic, as even when I remove my makeup at night it looks heaps better than it did in the morning. A pump would be heaps more convenient than that flimsy applicator which is easy to lose track of. I apply it with a foundation brush. Other than that, I would strongly recommend it! It smells really special too :)

on 1/21/2012 11:24:00 AM

This is the best primer I have ever used, and I strongly doubt there will ever appear another one as good as this one on the market, at least not in the foreseeable future. This is my opinion on why...

This product is marketed as a 'sheer illuminating base' but it manages to do so much more than that. To me, it isn't just illuminating, it's perfecting. It is sheer indeed, one cannot detect it, and the best part about it is that it doesn't look like a primer on the skin, it doesn't alter the foundation, powder, or itself, if worn alone, and it just works wonders even by itself. Truly amazing.

I also have Clarins' Smooth Perfector, or whatever the little red jar is called (I can't remember right now...), but the differences are striking. So, to make things easier, I will do a little comparison since the Clarins one kinda works like 99% of the 'perfection primers' (silicone, etc).

The Chanel does not have glitter. It manages to illuminate the skin by casting a 'light' effect layer; it looks white when you apply it, because the color of the product is white, but it turns to physical 'glow' on the skin as you're blending it in. I think darker complexions can successfully rock this product since it makes the skin look like it's glowing from within; actually, i guess a dark olive/brown, or even seriously dark brown skin would look GORGEOUS with the glow this product gives. It is simply amazing.

The effect of this primer is something hard to explain, from both a normative perspective so to speak, and in comparison with the Clarins one. Basically, the texture is very light, you don't feel it on the skin, yet it somehow manages to chromatically correct any skin imperfection- spots, redness, even blemishes or pimples/acne. It just changes your skin color and uniformity, without settling into pores or lines, like the Clarins one does.

That one is a silicone-based primer which is especially aimed at filling up the wrinkles/lines/pores and creating a uniform canvas for the foundation application. This one does it by itself; no wonder many reviewers have mentioned wearing the primer by itself and feeling and looking great this way.

I used it with many foundations- powder, liquid, creme, etc. Yesterday I wore it with Rimmel's Wake Me Up, which, by itself (applied on top of moisturizer, no primers) has a quite uneven aspect; it does a great job at covering and everything, but the effect doesn't compare to the one it has when applied after this primer. The foundation just adhered to my skin like magic, it 'stuck' onto it, pretty much like Estee Lauder's Double Wear (minus the heaviness), it looked perfectly airbrushed, no flaws, no lines, nothing, not even around the mouth (where i have to use something cause i hate those dang lines!).

The coloring was beautiful, meaning that this primer managed to make the color of the foundation stand out, a beautiful milky beige (I have the foundation in Ivory), perfect and flawless. It even looked slightly powdered without powder on top, not greasy or oily at all, yet natural. After settling it with powder it lasted for about 10 hours, when i got home it looked intact (minus the blush, that had worn off). It was a fantastic surprise.

All in all, i think this primer does what Shiseido's mascara base does for the lashes- no matter how crappy the foundation you apply on top, it makes your skin look amazing, even in flash photography. I love it.

Been having mine for a year now (i think), used it several times only (special occasions since it's not a big bottle and it costs quite a lot, i paid €53 in duty free), however i will continue to repurchase this when i run out. It has become my 'secret' and i am so happy to have found it.

So, bottom line, if you want something that does everything Clarins' primer does, filling in fine lines, pore minimizing, perfect foundation application, PLUS some major natural glow and illumination of your skin, PLUS long wear for your foundation (no matter how cheap it is), PLUS flawless look, PLUS natural aspect (no cakiness, no running), MINUS that greasy feeling and rather heavy look of Clarins' primer (especially if you use a thicker foundation on top), THIS is the way to go. Highly highly recommended. Will absolutely NEVER buy another primer than this one.

Perhaps it's just my skintype, so, given the particularities we all have, plus the high price, i strongly recommend everyone to try and get their hands on some samples at least, and see the difference.

Popular Primer/ Correctors