April 17, 2014 | 1607 users online

Moisturizers - Argan Oil

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2013 7:45:00 PM More reviews by rossjen

I am relatively late jumping on the bandwagon with the seemingly never-ending argan oil craze. I finally succumbed to trying it after seeing it in everything from shampoo to skincare. I wound up purchasing the Studio 35 Beauty brand from Walgreens, which lists only argania spinosa kernel oil, at a reasonable price of $15 for 1.7 oz. It is a very light-weight oil that doesn't feel overly greasy, so major props for that. The brand I bought has absolutely no scent. I am only reviewing it for the purposes of skincare, since no oil has ever worked on my fine hair, no matter how light-weight it claims to be. I do find it to be adequately moisturizing (although on really dry skin days, this is not enough by itself) for my body and face, and I don't think I've broken out from it at all.
Am I absolutely in love? Unfortunately, no. I just find it too similar to other oils that perform pretty much the same functions (jojoba, almond, and camellia oil), and I just don't see a huge difference in the condition of my skin. I definitely wouldn't pay what some companies are asking for the same amount of this oil, which in my opinion, borders on the insane. I recommend doing research for cheaper options online and in health food stores.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2013 3:25:00 PM More reviews by Lomelindi

I had high hopes for this oil because I've heard and read so many good things about it, but as always, everyone's skin is different. Unfortunately, I am lumped into the minority of people who have a strong, bad reaction to this oil. It went on fine for a few hours (sank in quickly, made my skin soft), but then I broke out in whiteheads the next day. Then I went through a full MONTH of cystic acne all over my face and neck where I applied it. It was extremely painful and embarassing, and I stopped using this oil immediately. (I did double check that it was argan oil causing all the acne since I had no changes in my makeup, skin or eating regime up until then.)

Obviously, I didn't patch test ahead of hand. I always suggest you do that with any new skin product, particularly with oils!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2013 3:09:00 PM More reviews by BriddaBella

I bought argan oil as a substitute for Moroccan Oil for my hair however it just made my hair greasy so ended up using it as a makeup remover and as a moisturiser for my face.
It is a great makeup remover especially for waterproof mascara and it is very gentle to your skin while moisturising it.

I wouldn't buy argan oil again simply because I prefer using Bioderma as a makeup remover, extra virgin coconut oil as a body moisturiser, Macadamia Oil treatment for my hair and Astral cream as a face moisturiser.
Nevertheless it's a good product.

Different uses for Argan Oil:

1) as a body moisturiser

2) as a hair conditioner

3) as a make-up remover

4) as a face moisturiser

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2013 3:30:00 AM More reviews by Sabsumaiya

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I used this for a few months, but recently after an overseas trip, I was forced to leave it, and other skin care items behind as my luggage was over weight. In all honesty, I couldn't tell all that much of a difference while using it, but for the last two weeks, man!!! I can tell!! No matter how much moisturiser I use, my skin just feels THIRSTY! I didn't realise just how hydrating this is. I really can't pinpoint the EXACT effect it has on my skin, but it definitely does something. I won't even say it makes my skin glow, because my skin never glows, but something just looks like it's missing. I've just ordered another bottle, and anxiously awaiting to start using again. I 100% believe in using oils on my face now, I just get the feeling that that is what is best absorbed into the skin.
LOVE IT!! =D

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2013 7:53:00 PM More reviews by lotusfairy

I bought pure, cold-pressed, organic argan oil from Simpler Botanicals. It was $15.99 at Wholefoods. I wanted to see how well it would do on my hair since I have tried a couple of hair lines that tout argan oil as an ingredient. Unfortunately argan oil is listed either in the middle or end of the ingredient list. With this, I only pump a nickel sized amount onto my hand, emulsify between my palms and then work the oil into my hair. I let it sit for practically eight hours before I shampooed it out. My hair was very shiny and soft. It looked and felt well-nourished. I will try to add this to my favorite conditioning treatments to see how well it does and I have yet to try this on my skin. From what I can tell it does an excellent job of conditioning my hair and would even work as a sealer after a leave-in conditioner. update 1/2014: I recently incorporated this into my skin care regimen. I use a very small drop at night after cleansing to add some moisture into my skin. It sinks in quickly and leaves my skin calm and glowing in the morning. I have not seen much clogging yet so I am crossing my fingers that this works out for me in the long run. I also still love it for my hair. I add a tablespoon to my conditioner or cream leave-ins once in a while to boost shine and moisturizing benefits.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2013 3:49:00 PM More reviews by NotoriousCharity

The Argan oil on its own didn't do much other than moisturize but since itís chock full of vitamin E it was perfect to mix with a pinch of vitamin C powder and a few drops of distilled water to make the homemade vitamin C serum (also on makeupalley). I also use either a 1.5 or 0.5 dermaroller beforehand before applying so the serum penetrates deeper. The argan oil itself is a very nice oil and weightless on the skin. I brought a 4 oz bottle on ebay from archer159. And I love the serum for making my skin more even, fine lines and scars are fading and my freckles are lightening. Definitely recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/19/2012 6:24:00 AM More reviews by lisa_thejack

Woohoo, this stuff is amazing! I mix it with aloe vera gel and apply all over my face, eye area and body and the results are outstanding. I like to combine it with aloe vera gel because it absorbs almost instantly so you're left with no oily film, just incredibly smooth skin for at least 24hrs. It doesn't clog pores, it doesn't smell bad and it doesn't cost a fortune (compared to most beauty products which do absolutely nothing). What it does do is smooth wrinkle out, even skin tone and soften skin like no other stuff has EVER done. I don't use scrubs, useless masks or any sort of acid on my face. This argan/aloe combo preceded by that wonderful cleansing tool called Clarisonic is all I use and both my skin and I have never been happier.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/15/2012 8:51:00 AM More reviews by missmiracles

Summary :Bad for skin; wicked for hair and my cat's fur!

Was quite excited about all the talk around argan oil and bought a 60ml bottle from a reputed supplier here in the UK as part of a batch of lovely plant oils I am trialling on my face. The oil was described as organic, cold pressed and unrefined.

I applied a few drops, plain straight from the bottle to freshly cleansed skin , it was evening time. It felt greasy and almost gritty in texture.

ALMOST IMMEDIATELY my face started to react, feeling uncomfortable and prickly. Within the hour I had to look in the mirror to see what was happening and I was BREAKING OUT BIG TIME - red pimples forming on my forehead and chin and general blotchiness.

I washed it all off with pure castile soap and when it had calmed down applied pre evening primrose oil - which I know to be safe.

Fortunately overnight the reaction subsided and am now waiting for the pimples to fade.

In a way I am ok about the reaction, it was so instant and obvious. Now am wondering what to do with the oil, suppose I could use it on my hair as a pre-wash treatment, or even add it to a salad as it is designated 'food grade'.

UPDATE
Use it as pre-shampoo hair treatment: rub a small amount on palms and massage into scalp and through hair, shampoo off after 10-15mins Wow, my hair was so bouncy and glossy, I felt like a hair model! What a wonderful surprise.
THEN noticed my cat (7yrs old mixed breed) licking my hands which had oil on and thought I'd add a couple of drops - cautiously to her cat meat. Within a day or two it was miraculous - her fur seems thicker, lustrous and shiny and seems to be lighter in colour; or possibly reflecting more light.
Which leads me to think I'll take a spoon a day asa nutritional supplement and see if any benefits come my way.
(It is food grade)

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2012 2:56:00 AM More reviews by BeccahH

I love argan oil & it seems to love me back. I use it straight up on me cuticles & my nails grow healthy & strong. I mix a few drops into my creams & lotions, it gives high end results with inexpensive products.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/27/2012 3:14:00 AM More reviews by DaisyJxo

After reading so many positive reviews, I had high hopes for argan oil. My skin is fairly normal and I rarely break out but after using this for about 3-4 days I had one of the worst break-outs ever. I got 4 pimples on my forehead and 2 on my chin and today got another on my nose. It's unfortunate because I really was hoping for that "glowing skin" haha I wasn't too lucky this time... But I will say my sister has been using this and it really is clearing up her skin. It's just not for everyone!