Nioxin Scalp Therapy

3.8

on 5/4/2009 4:20:00 PM

This review is more for Nioxin System 1 (which Scalp Therapy conditioner is the second step of). The system includes the Cleanser, Scalp Therapy Conditioner, and the Treatment.

I have to say, this system is VERY VERY EXPENSIVE. I understand that you can buy the set of shampoo + conditioner for a very reasonable price. The problem is that I had accidentally bought two bottles of conditioner before, so it would be a waste to buy the big set when I only needed the Cleanser and the Treatment. I don't know if it's just my local shop being expensive, but the big bottle (750ml I believe) of the Cleanser was $25 and the Treatment (which is a very small bottle) was a wooping $40. Add that, plus what I spent back a while ago on the extra bottle of conditioner, the total came out to be almost $100. .____. VERY expensive...

That said, I've only used it twice so far. Following the proper direction of shampoo, conditioner, then treatment (leave in), I've noticed a difference on my head. For one, there definitely appears to be less of a hair loss, both in shower, and out of shower. Second, it appears the system weighs my hair down less. When using my previous shampoo/conditioner (Shiseido's Assience or however you spell it), my bangs tend to get oily by end of the day, and overall it just appeared flatter. But i'm not sure if this is because Nioxin might be making my hair a little dryer?

From what I can tell so far after just two washes, it does feel like it's making my hair stronger. First wash there was a lot of hair lost, but it wasn't any more or less than my regular washing (so considering most people say first wash with Nioxin == ton of hair loss, this indicates how bad my hair loss was). However what I did notice was that there appaeared to be less hair loss outside of shower (ie when i run my hand through dry hair, less come out). Second wash last night, there appeared to be less hair loss in shower. Again there was less hair loss outside of shower too.

EDIT: so it's been approximately 10 days since I started using. It varies sometimes but in general it does appear that there is less hair coming out during showers. There appears to be less hair coming out normally too, though every once in a while a strand or two will still come out. At first my hair felt stronger (ie not so smooth) but the past two days I noticed my hair becoming smooth again. Not sure if this means it stopped working at making my hair thicker/stronger yet. I did notice that the bottom of my hair (which is still semi permed and used to be turning brown/golden brown due to lack of nutrition i suppose) has slowly changed back to a darker color. Nevertheless I'm going to cut that off at the end of this week, but it's a nice indication that Nioxin's working (hopefully).

Can't tell if the Treatment's working though (ie with growing back more hair) since I can't look at myeslf in the scalp lol

EDIT2: 6/5/2009
It's been a couple of months since i started using this (or possibly 1.5 months). My inshower hairloss dwindled a great deal, but my out of shower/after shower hair loss also increased. Overall I believe my hair is within the 100 hair loss/day average now. I still can't tell if the Treatment's doing anything (ie any new hair growth) as I don't have a handy stylist to tell me. However i also went and got myself a haircut to cut out the dead ends of my hair from the perm, so that may be what made my hair healthier, as opposed to the shampoo.

for everyone who are having hairloss problems, i actually suggest go exercise more, or possibly eat stuff to replace red blood cells. i noticed that there's less hair loss on days i went to the gym. My daytime job is sitting in front of a comp for 9+ hours, and in the past I didn't like to exercise, so I'm wondering if my hairloss could be related to bad circulation. Better circulation to the scalp should actually help a great deal with strengthening hair. in fact part of what Treatment does is to get more blood to your scalp (it says on there that your scalp should turn red temporarily due to flush of blood).

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I have been using this product for the past two months now. I was really skeptical about purchasing this, because I was really tired of shelling out so much money on products that claim to work and just disappoint me. I wanted to wait a little bit before I reviewed this. This product has not disappointed me. After the first night of using System 5 I noticed less shedding. I used to have really thick hair and my hair started falling out in clumps. The next day I washed my hair I had even less. Even while brushing and combing my hair less came out. After a week I was pleasantly suprised that I had maybe 2-3 strands fall out. And in the shower I was not seeing any clumps in my hand. I cannot comment on if I have any new growth though. I can't tell. I do hope that this will help promote new growth by giving it a better condition to work with. I will post updates as I go. I am mixed and have had problems finding products that keep my hair moistrurized and not dry it out. This has been a great product so far.

on 2/10/2009 11:35:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Highly overpriced product that does not stop hair loss but will help with breakage. You need hardly any which is a plus and it is a soothing smell and sensation but I can't say it does anything for hair loss over the ten years I have used it on and off. Cannot use it every day as it will build up and make my hair dull. Too heavy for summer use. Too expensive and several similar affordable alternatives out there.

UPDATE: I do not recommend this product at all since P & G bought it and reformulated this to utter garbage. Joico's Clincure is a dupe for original Nioxin of days of old.

on 1/20/2009 10:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Minty fresh on my scalp, smells like mint. Don't really like how it smells the day after, so I have to use this stuff everyday. I can't wait till i finish the giant bottle I have so I can go back to using something else. Also for some reason, maybe I have a defective bottle, but the product leaks out of the top even though it's standing right side up. It's really quite annoying and a pain to clean.

on 12/4/2008 5:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

This stuff saved my hair. I was in the Navy and serving on a ship. The potable water (drinking water and shower water) is treated with chemicals-it's pretty much like showering with swimming pool water. My poor colored hair started to dry out, fade and fall out!! I was having issues. My girlfriend on-board introduced me to this product-HEAVEN SENT! It saved my hair. Both the shampoo and conditioner products worked for me when I was at sea. I no longer worried about my hair turning into straw. I know in the scheme of things hair isn't the biggest deal but it really made a difference in my morale. I still use this now and again today even though I am no longer on a ship and don't color my hair, but I actually need to pick some up because I think it will help me out after having a baby-my hair and hormones are all outta whack. Nothing a little Nioxin won't cure!

on 10/20/2008 9:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I am 6 months post partum and my hair has been falling out like crazy, also my scalp has been CRAZY itchy and flakey. So i gave Nioxin a try and so far I LOVE IT. the hair loss is not abolished but is slowed (it's only been a week), and my scalp feels great no itchiness. Another bonus is that my hair looks really shiny and feels healthier. I'll try and update in a month or so.

okay, i commented on the shampoo, now the conditioner as well.
do you honestly expect the amazing minty smell to still be there 2 days after you wash your hair? if there is any shampoo and conditioner whose scent is still noticeable 2 days after you wash your hair, please share this valuable information. in addition, it isnt supposed to make your hair grow. nioxin shampoo and conditioner and scalp therapy only provide the best possible environment for hair to grow back, and/or for hair to be thicker. lastly, to see results, like with any other brand, you need to use both shampoo and conditioner
*****update
love this stuff, doesn't dry my hair out as much as other methanol products and i loveeeeeeeee it. makes my hair look and feel thicker

on 5/21/2008 12:34:00 AM

As with the shampoo, I'm not sure this product prevents hair loss or promotes hair growth, but it does make my hair softer without weighing it down. Some conditioners make my hair feel greasy, like I'll never get it completely rinsed out. I don't have that problem with Nioxin (I use level 1) and I'll continue to repurchase for that reason alone.

on 4/29/2008 2:55:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I first found this product when I had to shower at my aunt's house... I saw this sitting in her shower caddy and decided to try it. WOW! My head was tingling! You know the feeling you get as you're rinsing your mouth with mouthwash? I had that exact feeling on my scalp! Minty fresh!! Anyway, I ended up buying a HUGE bottle for myself on that premise alone (very expensive!). I don't notice any difference with my hair or scalp, but I already love my hair and have never had scalp problems, I use this conditioner ONLY for the tingly fresh sensation I get from it. I only use it once a week as it's quite expensive, and over time the tingly sensation has severely weakened, but I suggest everyone TRY this product at least once!! I LOVE that minty fresh feeling on my head! :)

I have been using Nioxin shampoo and scalp therapy (conditioner) for 10 years and love it. Everyone in my family has thin and thinning hair except for me. A hair dresser recommended it to me 10 yrs ago and told me to never stop using it. I highly recommend it. Recently they changed the packagign to a tube with I l\like it a lot better than a bottle. The downside is it can be expensive unless you find it on sale or on ebay.