November 27, 2014 | 1251 users online

Treatments - Biotin (All brands)

rated 2 of 5 on 3/27/2014 6:24:00 PM More reviews by pictureperfect09

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've been taking biotin on its own or within a hair, nails, and skin complex for over 2 years now. I figure by now I should have a solid opinion about it, and the more I think, the more I have realized I've only kept taking it still hoping to get the awesome results it seems other people have experienced.

From my experience, I can't say that taking it long term will be a miracle worker for you. My nails haven't become noticeably stronger and my hair seems nice and soft, but I have been less harsh on my hair lately in general. I stopped taking it for a few of months, then went back to it and noticed no difference. It makes perfect sense that there are no studies that actually show biotin is proven to speed up hair or nail growth, yet I bought in to positive reviews to no avail. The only people who will definitely see an improvement from taking it are people who have a biotin deficiency. Also, most of the biotin vitamins I see at drugstores are super overpriced. Considering how much money I've pretty much money I've spent and how many bottles I've been through, if you're gonna go for it it's not worth it to pay a premium price for a brand name when a generic or sale product will do.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/27/2014 12:03:00 AM More reviews by ksdjfklsdjf

I decided to try biotin supplements because I noticed my skin has been looking more dull and I've had some undereye bags. I was taking 1 pill a day of the Spring Valley brand (10,000 mcg with 100 mg Keratin). The first few days I noticed a glow to my skin and also noticed my nails and hair growing and getting stronger. I was very excited. However, after about another week I noticed I started breaking out on my chin (a place I never break out) and also was having severe bowel problems (which I also never have). This product is supposed to help with metabolism but it seemed to cause just the opposite for me. I felt very bloated and was in bed for a whole day due to a very ill stomach and diarrhea. To be fair, afterwards I realized you are supposed to drink a lot of water while taking these supplements. All I drink is water but perhaps I wasn't hydrating myself enough? All in all, the few benefits I received were nowhere near worth all the adverse side effects! Perhaps a different dosage and brand would have different results, but I will no longer be taking biotin supplements and would have to say that I would not recommend them to others.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/26/2014 11:41:00 PM More reviews by woobwoob

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

One side effect I hadn't heard anyone mention before I bought this is that it makes you really tired. I'd say within 15 minutes of taking it my eyes felt so heavy, like I'd been up all night or something. At first I thought I just wasn't getting enough sleep, but once I paid attention to it I realized it was this stuff.

I didn't take it for long enough to really notice any hair growth, although I did think my hair was looking shinier already. My nails grow fast normally so I didn't notice much there either. I bought the Sundown Naturals brand "Hair, Skin, and Nails" which contains 5000 mcg of biotin per serving, as well as quite a few other vitamins(including other B vitamins). I noticed a few small whiteheads but nothing ridiculous in terms of breaking out, and I could have been drinking more water so ultimately - aside from the extreme tiredness - it was just down to me getting into better habits while taking this.

I'm planning to continue taking them but I think I'll definitely need to take them right before bed, otherwise I can't stay awake.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/22/2014 3:58:00 PM More reviews by olivialoaf

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

My hair was falling out due to hypothyroidism. I took 1000mcg of biotin a day- I couldn't find higher doses available in Canada. This product stopped my hair loss and my hair and nails began growing very fast. Note that other hair seemed to also grow- my eyebrows ended up looking like old-man eyebrows. I was ecstatic about these results as dealing with hair loss was very emotional.

However, I broke out with horrible cystic acne. I've always had great, compliment-receiving skin. I developed huge cysts in the middle of my cheeks that took MONTHS to go away. Very embarrassing, painful and virtually impossible to cover.

I drank a huge amount of water, tried various acne products, and keep in mind I was taking a much lower dose of Biotin compared to other reviewers. Biotin is obviously very powerful but might cause side effects.

Ultimately I decided I could deal with mediocre hair to keep my clear skin. I take 500mg of biotin only about once a week now and my skin and hair look great.

I would be very cautious about taking huge doses of any supplement, especially without professional advice.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/21/2014 2:27:00 PM More reviews by yasminamo

Biotin did wonders to my hair. It made it longer, shinier, and prettier. However, it made me break out like CRAZY. I am not the only one this has happened to you can look it upÖ It's so sad because the product is wonderful but has terrible side effects. Once I stopped taking Biotin my acne went away. Such a shame!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2014 8:53:00 PM More reviews by maca7

Why I love it:

I decided to try Biotin as a way to make my hair grow faster and it has worked like a charm! I am taking the maximum strength tablets (10, 000mcg). I canít say if it has made my hair stronger, as my hair is generally healthy and I make sure I take good care of it by using a variety of conditioners and leave-in serums, but my hair seems to be more resilient to heat damage from styling tools and less prone to breakage.

My nails are also growing faster than usual and are no longer breaking as easily.
Some reviews mention that biotin may cause you to break out, but I havenít noticed any extra break outs.

Biotin regulates energy metabolism and helps stabilize blood sugar levels, so an added perk is having more energy and being less susceptible to low blood sugar.

Things to keep in mind:

It is important to keep in mind that there is no magic pill to make your nails and hair grow strong and shiny overnight. There are a variety of nutrients you need to keep your hair and nails healthy, such as zinc, magnesium, vitamin A and folic acid. Supplements can help you improve your intake of those nutrients, but they can't substitute a healthy diet.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/15/2014 5:50:00 PM More reviews by Camz26

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

LOVE THIS!! it makes my hair so strong and it is growing. I take 5000mcg a day anytime i feel like it and it works. the price is great wait until they are on sale !

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2014 10:41:00 AM More reviews by PaulaBenoit

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Prior to taking this I read that one cause for the breakouts could be due to the fact that taking high doses of biotin drives down B5 levels in your body.

I started taking 600 mcg of Biotin with 5000 mcg of B5. After 1 week with no breakouts I upped the dose for the Biotin to 1200 mcg (one capsule in the morning, 1 at night). Still no breakouts. So I tried upping the dose to 2400 mcg (2 in the morning, 2 at night) but I started breaking out, even with the B5 supplement so for myself, the highest I think I can take is 1200-1800 mcg.

In terms of the results I've seen with my skin, after the second week my eczema started to clear and people at work commented on how radiant my skin looked which is a bonus. I read that people who suffer from dermatitis and eczema may be due to a biotin deficiency so that may be why since taking the supplements my dry skin and eczema have improved. I'm not cured but I've been having less flares, especially on my face.

I've been taking all of this for a little over a month and the biggest improvement has been my skin and nails. I haven't noticed any changes to my hair in terms of it speeding the growth but that may be due to the fact that I am taking a lower dose. I'll definitely keep taking this since it's improved my skin so much. I would say if you suffer from dermatitis or eczema it's worth a shot trying this out, for me it's worth taking the vitamins as this beats having to use steroid creams to control my flares. My advice would be to start with a low dose and gradually increase it to see how your skin reacts to the vitamins. And as previous reviewers have stated drink plenty of water. I aim for 3 liters a day.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/6/2014 2:06:00 PM More reviews by prettyinpinknwhite

I've been using biotin off and on for years--a lot of horse people use it to strengthen their horses' hooves, so I figure if it's good enough for horses it's good enough for me too. I've been taking it because I want to grow my hair out and I haven't noticed much difference with that, but I do feel like it makes my nails grow really fast . . . which is a little unfortunate because I like short nails lol! I also feel like my nails are stronger than they used to be. I once read in Allure that biotin only works for hair growth if you have a deficiency, but apparently my dermatologist recommended it to my brother for hair growth (poor kid is balding at 20), so I guess your mileage may vary. I'll probably keep taking it because I haven't had any bad reactions, so the worst thing that could happen is nothing, and it isn't too much trouble to pop a pill once a day if it might be helpful.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/2/2014 8:03:00 AM More reviews by Sp6

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Like everyone else I had heard how amazing this was supposed to be! For me personally this did not work, my nails were still brittle and my hair did not grow, alongside this I developed acne! I wouldn't recommend this, and I certainly won't buy again! Disappointed :(