October 25, 2014 | 936 users online

Hair Color - Colorful - Neutral Protein Filler

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2012 9:34:00 AM More reviews by ktyska

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have used this - about every 5-6 weeks when I color my hair - since summer 2011. I started to notice, and my sister too, that after coloring my hair, my roots where lighter (a light/med red color) than the rest of my hair- hot roots. My hair grows in very light grey and WHITE.
After reading good reviews about this product, I headed to Sally's Beauty and the SA said there were about 3 colors with a neutral one. I chose the netural, as I didn't want to add additional color to my hair, I just wanted to enhance and help my Revlon # 43 Medium Golden Brown color, adhear and color correct my weird, light roots. Boy, this stuff is gold in a bottle. No more weird reddish roots, just nice even color-ALL OVER!!
Roots match the ends, color is evenly deposited. My color turns out so perfect and TRUE. I use the directions on the bottle (get your glasses out...the writing is so small!!). I follow the directions for "tinting" EXCEPT: I put it all in a cheap mini spray bottle and apply that way. No way can you apply this without the spray bottle, I would be afraid it would not apply evenly on the hair and could cause a strange deposit of color after, not to mention waste of product.
I wait the 20 minutes, yes, my hair is sopping wet and dripping a little, but I have a towel around my neck. After the 20 minutes, I bot and apply my hair color. Now prior to using this, I have always applied my hair color to DRY hair. With this you apply your color to WET hair. OMG..color is so much easier to apply to wet hair!! I'll never go back to applying color to dry hair.
I will always have this when I color my hair. I buy the little 1.2 oz bottle and about 3/4 of it covers my hair. I combine water with the rest of it and use it with my deep conditioning treatment (from the Revlon hair color box) around 1 week later. I also use the left over as a daily leave-in treatment when my hair is needing a little more TLC.
HIGHLY encourge everyone to try it with their home hair color. I wish I had know about this years ago. HG for me.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/29/2012 10:03:00 AM More reviews by phillygeekgirl

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to add to the ingredients section, so in case you needed it:

Ingredients:Aqua, Hydrolyzed Keratin Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein (and) Wheat Oligosaccharides, Keratin Amino Acids, Aloe Barbadensis, Humullus Lupulus, Urfica Dioica, 1, 3, Bix(Hydroxymethyl)5, 5 Dimethylimidazolidine-2, 4Dione, Methyl ester 4 Hydrozxybenzoic Acid, Tetrasodium Edta, Polysorbate-20, Parfum.,

15 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2012 7:51:00 PM More reviews by RedNinjaGirl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Be careful!

I have naturally red hair that has gone gray and white. I've been dying for about 12 years now, and it got to the point where the color would fade unevenly, and simply fade really quickly.

So, I used the protein filler.

It did what it was supposed to, but my hair grabbed so much color, it's way too dark. After two weeks, it hadn't faded at all. I am struggling with getting it to lighten up, using developer mixed with my shampoo.

I would use it again because it makes my hair hold the color so well, but I would choose a lighter hair color next time. Live and learn!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2011 12:19:00 PM More reviews by Sanzibar

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've used this the last 3 times I've colored my hair. I've consistently been coloring my hair some level of blonde for years now. I'm a natural blonde who has hair which has faded into dark mousy brown roots with gray. Along with all my processing and aging, my hair has become significantly damaged & much dryer.

My hair is long and it takes at least 2 oz of this protein filler to saturate my hair. Application is easiest when I put this in a spray bottle since it's a liquid. I spray it onto damp hair, trying to cover it as evenly as possible. I then comb it through and put it up in a towel for awhile until it's no longer dripping wet. I've been letting it air dry prior to coloring simply because I don't like to use heat on my hair if I don't have to. Finally I apply the color to my dry hair and deep condition afterwards.

The results are worth the effort. The color takes evenly but I still get the multi-tonal effect so it doesn't look flat. My hair looks & feels less damaged. I was previously worried about how much hair I was losing in the shower. I know I'm losing less now. I will continue to use this each time I color my hair (monthly). The directions say you can also mix this into your hair color but I think that would make the color so much thinner it would be more difficult to apply. I think I'll stick with the spray on method. I buy the 4 oz bottle at Sally's so it lasts me through 2 colorings.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2011 1:31:00 PM More reviews by Schweet_One

my hair had bleach damage on the ends, and i started coloring it red/auburn. The color would not hold on the ends, so i started using the protein filler in red red. works great at helping color hold onto hair. I use it as a color refresh/treatment. what i do is put my hair in a ponytail on top of my head, using gloves, i douse the ponytail in the red filler, put it in a bun, and put a ziploc baggie over my bun and put a ponytail holder on the bag to hold it on the bun, leave it in while i sleep and wash it out in the morning. beautiful results everytime !

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2011 4:46:00 PM More reviews by ambwa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product is a life saver. I had been dying my hair platinum blonde for about a year and then decided to use manic panic vampire red. To make a long story short I couldn't get rid of the manic panic color without bleaching my hair. It was totally fried. I tried to dye it a level 6 blonde, but it wouldn't hold the color. After using the neutral protein filler my hair was able to hold color again. The only problem with the filler is the packaging. I suggest purchasing a small, 2oz spray bottle and putting it in there to make it easier to distribute. I apply the protein filler to wet hair, leave on for about 20 mins, then blow dry my hair the rest of the way before applying color. This works very well.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2011 11:01:00 PM More reviews by Myoung19

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This stuff is awesome! Truly a HG product for me. I had never heard of this until I started reading about it online.

I have been coloring my hair for years. It had become thinner, dryer, frizzy, breaking, split ends, just crappy looking. I noticed I was losing a lot of hair ever time I washed it (gobs). I hated it!

I used this for the first time this weekend and my hair is transformed, no other product has done this to my hair before. I gave it 2 lippies for packaging because u have to buy a seperate spray bottle to put it in. its liquid like water.

I got my hair wet and towel dried it to damp. Sprayed 1/2 bottle into my damp hair (really saturated it), left it on for 20 mins and then blotted off the excess with a towel, then applied my haircolor (cinaberry natural instincts #22) and deep conditioned afterwards. Very easy to use. Doesn't smell great but not a strong odor (smells don't really bother me though).

My hair has since looked fan-freaking-tastic! Not just the color but the condition of my hair. I think it was literally starved of protien! At work someone asked me if I had put a relaxer in my hair or what I had done because it was *that* different looking (I'm caucasian btw). My hair was sleek, shiney, frizz free almost completely, stronger, have hardly seen any hairs in the shower drain and its holding the color well (i color it red, which as u know fades fast).

Im in love with this product! If you color your hair frequently or have hair that is damaged from coloring/heat I would not hesitate to recommend this.

Edited to add:
I used this product for a week now (colored my hair a week ago) and my hair had just gotten better! So I can tell it improves over time and obviously works! My hair is smooth, sleek, wayyyyy less frizz and falling out shockingly less. My red hair color hasn't faded at all, which is surprising cause usually after a week it has faded some, especially off the greys. Wow

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2011 6:00:00 AM More reviews by GellyBear

I have damaged hair so this product helped tons! This was my first time I've EVER dyed my hair, let alone RED! I was aware that Damaged hair and Hair Dye don't really go well, but when I found out what this product does, I just had to give it a shot. I know the instructions say to put it on damp hair but the hair dye said to "apply on dry hair". So what I did was.. put this on dry hair, leave it on for 20 minutes and then put the hair dye. After I washed out the dye.. I was dissapointed because it didn't come out red, it came out a really dark burgundy color. As days went by, I noticed my hair started turning red, and got fuller and thicker! Bottom line: IT DID DO IT'S JOB! Maybe for me, it started working days later.. but for you it can work the same day! It all depends on your hair. Just try it out for yourself! You won't regret it. :) *NOTE: I have natural black hair, and I used L'Oreal Hicolor Hilights in Red.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2011 8:11:00 PM More reviews by sugary_sweet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Oh my goodness, this stuff is AMAZING. This must be a really well kept secret as I was fully expecting to find many more reviews! Well, let me contribute another glowing review in hopes that more will follow... In addition to following the directions to a tee, I coupled the protein filler with a packet of Ardell's Red Gold Color Corrector with rather impressive results! My hair was previously quite damaged from a bleaching attempt gone awry (so much that it would break off in small pieces whenever I'd brush/comb it when dry). Additionally, my hair had a horrid tendency to not only pull waaay too much color in strange patches (resulting in straight up black hair no matter what color I'd use), but I was also susceptible to the hottest of "hot roots" imaginable. As you can probably tell, my hair was a royal mess. But as of an hour ago, NO MORE! The key to using this protein filler is using a spray application rather than just pouring it in your hands and hoping for the best. Oh, and comb it through so the distribution is as even as possible! This is very important. Well, after applying it in this fashion, I applied my dark brown dye and left it on for the designated time. Rinsed it out, conditioned, dried it, and fixed it as normal... GORGEOUS!!! I'm so unbelievably tickled by how well it turned out! The color is perfectly even, not too dark, and my hair is incredibly soft as well. I can't stop touching it, nor can I remember it ever looking this good. This tiny bottle is capable of miracles! 10 STARS!!!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2011 11:25:00 AM More reviews by pmburk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I frequently color my own hair, and as my hair tends to be somewhat dry, I also have issues with color sometimes "grabbing" dark or coming out uneven on the ends. As I decided to change my color completely to a light brown, I knew I needed to take precautions to avoid having black hair (browns always grab super dark on my hair). I bought this for around $2 at Sally Beauty. Preceded it with Ion's Crystal Clarifying treatment, rinsed & toweled dry, then applied this through my hair. You need to do this standing over a sink with a towel as it is liquid and messy. I combed it through my hair, let it sit for 20 minutes, then applied my color to my damp hair. It came out perfect! No dark grabbing, no uneven dark ends - just beautiful, even color, just like on the box. You do need to deep condition after using this, as protein can sometimes cause your hair to tangle - I used Feria's after color conditioning treatment from Sally and left it on my hair for about 5 minutes, and my hair is amazingly soft & smooth. I will *never* color my hair again without this product and will definitely repurchase. If you color at home, this is absolutely a must-have.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No