Baking Soda & Corn Starch

4.6

Sodium Bicarbonate, Cornstarch

BAKING SODA + CORN STARCH LIGHTENS HAIR- REALLY!! I found this out(by mistake) after originally using this mix(sometimes with coconut oil for a creamy consistancy) as a natural underarm deodorant which by the way also works great! The ratio is 1/2 baking soda + 1/4 corn starch, plus coconut oil to a cream consistancy. I have dark-brown to black underarm hair. After two weeks daily use, I noticed the hair becoming LIGHTER! To be sure the HEAT generated in the underarm area also contributes to the process- so you would probally have to apply some heat/warmth to your hair & scalp area for the same effect on your hair(covering head with a shower cap & towel overnight & blow drying next day). Just had to share this!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

OMG!!! I made up a fresh batch of this: Arm&Hammer baking soda, cornstarch, and 100% unrefined, organic coconut oil - Equal amounts of cornstarch/coconut oil & a little less baking soda (read the posts about underarm rash). I put this in a small plastic bowl with a lid and I'm here to say that this after 1 week has been the best deodorant I have ever used. All the natural deodorants I have used work to some degree. No odor whatsoever. I honestly can say that I haven't even perspired under the armpit area. I simply use my fingers to smooth the concoction under my armpit area right after a shower and this really, really works! Incredible!!! As long as I do not develop a rash (as I've experienced with the crystal deodorants in the past) I will never use anything else! Cheap, easy to make, effective, all natural - WOW!

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

This is amazing. I will never buy deodorant AGAIN. I mix corn starch, baking soda and coconut oil till it's a solid mass. Press it in a glass jar and use a popsicle stick to scoop some out. No smell all day long - and this coming from someone who lives in the sweltering tropics! Little or no sweating at all. Am happy this doesn't have chemicals and aluminum which is carcinogenic. I DID get a rash in the beginning but I added more coconut oil and corn starch and that did the trick. Highly recommend this.

I used a formula I found online - I mix coconut oil, corn starch, baking soda, lavender oil, and Vitamin E oil for my deoderant.

I can't believe how wonderful this stuff is. I sweat A LOT and have tried so many different store brand deoderants/antiperspirants. Never did I think that mixing these ingredients at home would do a better job than anything i've used before! I smell good all day and sweat a lot less than usual. Plus, I feel a lot better knowing that what I'm putting on/in my body doesn't include all kinds of gross chemicals. :-)

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Granny always made her own deodorant using equal parts Baking Soda and Corn Starch and applied it with a dusting powder puff. The ONE thing she told me was to make sure you soap up and scrub your armpits with a coarse wash cloth BEFORE applying. The bacteria that causes smells thrive on dead skin. I use a loofah or exfoliating puff and apply the deodorant mixture with an old makeup brush using the "swirl, tap and brush method" to minimize the dust cloud :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I use equal parts of baking soda, corn starch and coconut oil. It smells soooo good, and works really well. Love it!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I'm a pretty sweaty person who is athletic and lives in a hot hot climate. Needless to say, deodorant has always been a toughie for me. I have super sensitive skin, and commercial deodorants made me break out or didn't fulfill their promised "anti-perspirant" function. I was using a crystal deodorant, and it was working for a month or so and then suddenly quit on me. Low on funds (college student here) and desperate for a solution, I turned to baking soda. All I can say is wow. No odor. Little wetness. No issues -all day long. I was using it alone initially until I got the awful rash, and now mixed with cornstarch it works just as well. My only complaint is that it is SUPER messy to use.

*ETA* after awhile, the cornstarch created a pretty icky situation under my arms. I'm knocking some lippies off for that, but there is a super simple fix. Arrowroot powder (or starch, in some places) and baking soda work great, without feeding bacteria.

Ok, first of all, I'd like to say that this works wonders. Like one of the previous commenters, I add coconut oil to form a solid to rub under my arms. It lasted for over 24 hours, with absolutely no bad odors seeping through (which happened in less than 2 hours when I was using store bought antiperspirants(. I also noticed that I started sweating LESS using this as a DEODORANT than I did using antiperspirant. Weird, but definitely awesome considering I sweat a lot.

Now, for the bad part: like the other commenter, after using this for a couple weeks, I, too, started getting a really awful rash. I haven't used this in about a week, and tomorrow I plan on adding vitamin E oil to the mixture to try to avoid this painful rash. I'll update this if I find anything to make this less irritating..... if I can't find anything, I guess I'll just have to stay stinky. :(

Skin: Dry, Other, Warm

My teenage daughters play tournament softball all year around. This means 5 to 6 games during a weekend in season, in 90 degree weather. Being in a hot car with them after one of these games is...well, you get the idea. Nothing dries sweat better than this cheap concoction. And it just don't go under their arm pits either. Messy but effective, but as long as it works, they are not complaining.

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I can't believe I've never reviewed this! An amazing antiperspirant (cornstarch) and deodorant (baking soda). I mix equal parts, fine sift into a bowl and brush on w/a ds foundation brush. The powder dissolves in no time to invisible under my arms and is the ONLY natural antiperspirant I've known to work and the best, cheap, basic, healthy, common sense deodorant around.

I've seen recipes of people making pastes or solidifying mixtures into a ball that dries hard but could be wet and rubbed on skin but too much work for me.

Watch your mixtures, if 1/2 and 1/2 doesn't work for you, keep tweaking and especially mind other skin care products used along with this. I've never had any problems w/irritation but could see it happening. I keep this in a small airtight container for travel and a larger one for home. Only cons, messy as hell.

Surprised at all the reviews this doesn't work as an antiperspirant, cornstarch is a well-known drying agent. It keeps me dry for hours on end and I sweat (unfortunately) quite a bit.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products