Baking Soda & Corn Starch

Price: $

Price: $

Sodium Bicarbonate, Cornstarch

on 10/12/2010 12:25:00 AM

Ok, first of all, I'd like to say that this works wonders. Like one of the previous commenters, I add coconut oil to form a solid to rub under my arms. It lasted for over 24 hours, with absolutely no bad odors seeping through (which happened in less than 2 hours when I was using store bought antiperspirants(. I also noticed that I started sweating LESS using this as a DEODORANT than I did using antiperspirant. Weird, but definitely awesome considering I sweat a lot.

Now, for the bad part: like the other commenter, after using this for a couple weeks, I, too, started getting a really awful rash. I haven't used this in about a week, and tomorrow I plan on adding vitamin E oil to the mixture to try to avoid this painful rash. I'll update this if I find anything to make this less irritating..... if I can't find anything, I guess I'll just have to stay stinky. :(

on 9/6/2010 10:52:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Warm

My teenage daughters play tournament softball all year around. This means 5 to 6 games during a weekend in season, in 90 degree weather. Being in a hot car with them after one of these games is...well, you get the idea. Nothing dries sweat better than this cheap concoction. And it just don't go under their arm pits either. Messy but effective, but as long as it works, they are not complaining.

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I can't believe I've never reviewed this! An amazing antiperspirant (cornstarch) and deodorant (baking soda). I mix equal parts, fine sift into a bowl and brush on w/a ds foundation brush. The powder dissolves in no time to invisible under my arms and is the ONLY natural antiperspirant I've known to work and the best, cheap, basic, healthy, common sense deodorant around.

I've seen recipes of people making pastes or solidifying mixtures into a ball that dries hard but could be wet and rubbed on skin but too much work for me.

Watch your mixtures, if 1/2 and 1/2 doesn't work for you, keep tweaking and especially mind other skin care products used along with this. I've never had any problems w/irritation but could see it happening. I keep this in a small airtight container for travel and a larger one for home. Only cons, messy as hell.

Surprised at all the reviews this doesn't work as an antiperspirant, cornstarch is a well-known drying agent. It keeps me dry for hours on end and I sweat (unfortunately) quite a bit.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Messy, messy, messy but it works too well to rate down. This will not stop sweat, it will just neutralize the odor. I apply this on dry skin with an old makeup brush.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I use baking soda a deodorant as well. When the store bought deodorants gave up on me I almost took to surgery for my sweat glands. OMG! I did a little research & found the recipe. I tweaked it a bit because baking soda can be a bit harsh on the skin & it was causing some chaffing. I have NO odor & NO wetness! If I get wet it is the end of usually a 10 hour day & time to reapply. If you try & have a problem with chaffing, dab a bit of Vitamin E Oil on before you apply & that should help tremendously! I will never go back to store bought aluminum products on my skin!

on 7/4/2009 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This has been the absolute best deoderant. I mix equal amounts of baking soda, cornstarch and coconut oil (oil is just to mix the ingredients). You don't need much, just a little dab and smear it on your underarms. I first tried this when a new deoderant I bought failed (I think they left out the active ingredient). I don't think I'll be going back to commercial deoderants. This stuff worked so well and I get that light coconut smell which I love. I can't seem to get my family to try it. They think I've gone overboard with the "natural" products but if it works then why not. Sure beats harmful chemicals. I highly recommend it especially since it's so cheap.

I love mixing and experimenting. I think next time I might try this with cocoa butter instead of coconut oil since I think the cocoa butter will solidify again and be more like stick deoderant. Just to try something different. :)

Update 7/24/09: Had to stop using this. It irritated my underarms so bad. The skin is seriously itching and sore. I think I'm allergic to baking soda on my skin. I really wanted this to work. :(

on 3/2/2009 8:25:00 PM

I use baking soda alone as a deodorant and it works incredibly well. Much better than commercial antiperspirants. I use an old kabuki brush and dip it into a container of baking soda and just buff the baking soda into my armpits. It works best when I'm right out of the shower and my armpits are damp. It completely neutralizes any odor which is great because I'm pretty stinky :p

Lately, I've also added a few drops of lemon essential oil to the baking soda and I smell lemony-fresh when I sweat! So good and cheap! I doubt I'll buy another deodorant stick again.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

When I moved to the southern U.S. back in 1998, the intense heat and humidity during the spring and summer seasons made my usual deoderants useless. Another issue also crept up.... Finding a new under arm deoderant is a no-brainer, but what do you do when you are full-busomed and need some extra protection (a "2nd deoderant") around the bust area? I did not need an anti-perspirant for that area; I needed a deoderant to keep odor at bay. Regular deoderants (eg, solids, roll-ons, sprays, etc.) were impractical and actually too strong for the area I wanted to control. Well, I tried several things on the market and nothing worked well alone. Eventually, I talked to my Dermatologist about this problem, and she gave me a solution that I have used ever since. I mix equal parts Baking Soda and Corn Starch in a small to medium plastic rubbermaid container with a lid and shake to mix thoroughly. The rubbermaid container serves as both the "mixing bowl" and the storage container, and I added a basic powder puff to it, storing the puff in the container. Voila... my 2nd deoderant. Every morning, I dust the area around my bust with this easy concoction and it works wonders alone. When I need extra protection, I dust the area and then spray with a Summers Eve feminine deoderant spray. I've never had an issue since. I've since shared this "beauty secret" recipe / "girl talk" tip with some of my fuller figured friends who need protection in various areas. They have all used it all over with the same success. It's not an anti-perspirant, but it is a wonderful deoderant. This goes to show that sometimes, we need not look any further than our own kitchen pantries/cupboards for a solution that is second to none...