September 16, 2014 | 1681 users online

Deodorants - Baking Soda & Corn Starch

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2009 11:28:00 PM More reviews by Ceci2468

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This has been the absolute best deoderant. I mix equal amounts of baking soda, cornstarch and coconut oil (oil is just to mix the ingredients). You don't need much, just a little dab and smear it on your underarms. I first tried this when a new deoderant I bought failed (I think they left out the active ingredient). I don't think I'll be going back to commercial deoderants. This stuff worked so well and I get that light coconut smell which I love. I can't seem to get my family to try it. They think I've gone overboard with the "natural" products but if it works then why not. Sure beats harmful chemicals. I highly recommend it especially since it's so cheap.

I love mixing and experimenting. I think next time I might try this with cocoa butter instead of coconut oil since I think the cocoa butter will solidify again and be more like stick deoderant. Just to try something different. :)

Update 7/24/09: Had to stop using this. It irritated my underarms so bad. The skin is seriously itching and sore. I think I'm allergic to baking soda on my skin. I really wanted this to work. :(

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2009 8:25:00 PM More reviews by JuicyBug

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I use baking soda alone as a deodorant and it works incredibly well. Much better than commercial antiperspirants. I use an old kabuki brush and dip it into a container of baking soda and just buff the baking soda into my armpits. It works best when I'm right out of the shower and my armpits are damp. It completely neutralizes any odor which is great because I'm pretty stinky :p

Lately, I've also added a few drops of lemon essential oil to the baking soda and I smell lemony-fresh when I sweat! So good and cheap! I doubt I'll buy another deodorant stick again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2007 8:24:00 PM More reviews by Gracious_Lady

When I moved to the southern U.S. back in 1998, the intense heat and humidity during the spring and summer seasons made my usual deoderants useless. Another issue also crept up.... Finding a new under arm deoderant is a no-brainer, but what do you do when you are full-busomed and need some extra protection (a "2nd deoderant") around the bust area? I did not need an anti-perspirant for that area; I needed a deoderant to keep odor at bay. Regular deoderants (eg, solids, roll-ons, sprays, etc.) were impractical and actually too strong for the area I wanted to control. Well, I tried several things on the market and nothing worked well alone. Eventually, I talked to my Dermatologist about this problem, and she gave me a solution that I have used ever since. I mix equal parts Baking Soda and Corn Starch in a small to medium plastic rubbermaid container with a lid and shake to mix thoroughly. The rubbermaid container serves as both the "mixing bowl" and the storage container, and I added a basic powder puff to it, storing the puff in the container. Voila... my 2nd deoderant. Every morning, I dust the area around my bust with this easy concoction and it works wonders alone. When I need extra protection, I dust the area and then spray with a Summers Eve feminine deoderant spray. I've never had an issue since. I've since shared this "beauty secret" recipe / "girl talk" tip with some of my fuller figured friends who need protection in various areas. They have all used it all over with the same success. It's not an anti-perspirant, but it is a wonderful deoderant. This goes to show that sometimes, we need not look any further than our own kitchen pantries/cupboards for a solution that is second to none...

51 out of 52 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No