October 21, 2014 | 2005 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Plus White - 5 Minute Speed Whitening Gel

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2012 8:58:00 PM More reviews by curlycuesue

I think I'm addicted to this stuff. I was a long-time user and lover of Crest Whitestrips. I used them twice a year, and they definitely whitened my teeth in two weeks, but what really annoyed me was my back teeth were still yellow and dingy. Anyway, after coming across great reviews for this gel on MUA, I tried it out, and was sooo impressed. At first I used a q-tip to apply the gel to my teeth but it was nearly impossible keeping the gel from touching my inner mouth and lips, so I bought some moldable mouthguards from a sporting goods store. I started using the gel every day for about 1.5 weeks, which made an undeniable difference. If I put too much gel in the mouthguard, then it can overflow onto my gums when I insert the mouthguard, which can be painful in certain areas. So I have to ensure I apply a thin layer so when it presses up against my teeth, there isn't any excess that comes in contact with my gums (if that makes sense). I started out leaving the gel on for about 15 minutes, but there have been times when I've accidentally left them on for 30 minutes. Fortunately, I didn't experience increased tooth sensitivity or pain. What's awesome is that not only are my front teeth whiter, but my back teeth are quickly catching up. I feel more confident about my smile, and I find my whiter teeth make my whole face seem brighter and more friendly. I think this is a fantastic product, and I'm glad I have it in my repertoire. :)

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/5/2012 9:43:00 PM More reviews by ChaCaCheeze

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Other

UPDATE: I have to retract my entire review below, so I'm just going to delete it and start over. I've been using the Plus White gel for 3 months, max, and it is the only part of my dental routine that I've changed since my last teeth cleaning. I didn't have an issue with sensitivity, so I thought I was doing fine. However, when I went to the dentist today, my hygienist couldn't believe what had happened to my teeth since my last check-up. Out of the blue, I developed several major problems: "Shallow" cavities on nearly 2/3 (TWO THIRDS!) of my teeth that hadn't reached the 2nd layer of enamel yet; significant decalcification (spots where my enamel was damaged and badly demineralized); and sensitivity along my gum line while she scaled my teeth. She just kept saying "I've never seen this with you before - you're so conscientious of your teeth!!" and "How did this happen so fast?!" We reviewed every aspect of my daily dental hygiene routine, and she couldn't figure out what was happening to my teeth. She told me that I wasn't whitening "excessively," and wondered if a medical condition that I have could be causing the problem. *However,* when she consulted my dentist about the problem, my dentist was very adamant that the issue was not a medical condition...it was my whitening. And then I realized - the ONLY difference in my whitening routine from my last check-up to this one, is that I cut back on using the gel from my dentist and started using the Plus White gel in its place! In one 6-month period of time, I went from having no decalcification (despite using the maximum strength stuff from my dentist for years) to having a mouth full of weak, badly damaged enamel. Luckily, the "shallow cavities" and decalcification can be corrected with nightly application of a mineral paste, but it will take about 6 months for me to see any improvement. As I mentioned above, there was no change in my dental hygiene routine EXCEPT for the use of Plus White. My brushing and flossing habits remained the same, and my diet actually improved. BOTTOM LINE: Do not, do not, do not try this product...it may work as a one-time thing (e.g., before a special event/one time in your life), but it is absolutely not suitable for maintenance whitening!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2012 11:51:00 AM More reviews by ButterflyLov3

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

So far so good, My teeth definitely have whitened. I don't use any of those methods on the box. I took a makeup brush and applied it like that. I leave mine on for 20 minutes for best results. Will update in a week

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2012 5:53:00 PM More reviews by girlndocs

This is the first whitening product I've used. I drink tea and coffee and my teeth were pretty yellow. I also have some mild pre-existing dental issues in the form of cavities and sensitive teeth, and a strong gag reflex that is triggered by certain toothpastes. My first idea was to use a whitening toothpaste, but when I found out that most of them whiten with abrasives I decided against it. I would rather use something I feel is more gentle on my enamel.

I've used this gel for almost 3 months now. All in all, I'm really happy with it and plan to keep using it regularly. I opted for the regular formula rather than the sensitive one, figuring it was cheap and I could switch if I needed to, but I haven't had any problems. (I did think I had some sensitivity after the first session but it turned out that was from trying to clamp my teeth down on the mouthguard too tightly.) I use it with a pair of Rawlings mouthguards that I thermofitted as per Kandee Johnson's instructions -- they're bulky, but not too bad.

For anyone who hasn't whitened, like I hadn't, I wouldn't call it a picnic exactly but it gets much less unpleasant after the first couple uses, when you've had some practice. I opted at first to bleach in the shower because being distracted with other shower things makes it less bothersome. The gel has an almost clumpy texture straight out of the tube that makes it hard to spread on my teeth so I squeeze a blob of it onto my clean palm and stir it with a fingertip -- this smooths its texture out and makes it SO much easier to spread thinly over my teeth. It really cut down on the amount of disgusting-tasting gel I actually got in my mouth and on the, excuse me, drool factor.

Does it work? Yup. Longer sessions do work better and are more convenient than the recommended 5 minutes twice a day. I whitened very frequently for the first several weeks, sometimes close to every day, but now I whiten one or two times a week (about 20 minutes each time) and this seems to be keeping up fine with the tea and coffee I still drink. My teeth aren't celebrity-super-bleached glowing white, and I like it that way. I want them to look naturally white and healthy. My husband and kids can tell that my teeth are whiter but the way other people tend to notice is more of a you look nice today, did you change your hair? kind of thing. Which I also like.

This is a pretty good bargain at the price when you consider how little gel it actually takes to do a bleaching. I've whitened with it a *lot* and I still have half of the tube, which cost me about $7.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2012 11:22:00 AM More reviews by tdhx0

Great product with fast results. I'm an avid coffee drinker and started noticing my teeth getting stained and duller. I started using this whitening kit and within a week noticed a major difference. Extremely statisfied!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/1/2012 11:43:00 PM More reviews by torirendon

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this kit. I got it at a dollar store with the mouthpiece/mouthguard thingy and whitening paste as well as the rinse for about $8. I wish I honestly had the time to do it twice everyday. When I was using it, I saw wonderful results. I've given up on the Crest whitening toothpaste thats $5 for a small tube that everyone was raving about. I'll go with this over anything else. It doesn't even bother my naturally sensative teeth but I wouldn't recommend people with pre-existing dental issues to try. Wish I remembered this when my senior pics were coming up :/ Any ways, works great, cheap. What could be better?

rated 4 of 5 on 9/1/2012 11:20:00 PM More reviews by MoniSams17

Let me start off by stating, I have tried a handful of products to whiten my teeth. I've used Colgate Optic White and Crest 3D toothpaste and mouthwash, and none of those worked for me. But then I stumbled across this product and I am oh so glad I did, because this absolutely did the job. After two weeks, my teeth aren't absolutely white, but they're white enough to make me happy.
My procedure changed during the process. At first I simply squeezed the gel onto the mouthpiece, but after a few days I decided to use a cotton swab and, in a way, painted the gel onto my teeth. After that, I placed the mouthpiece in. Of course, I made sure not to touch any other part of my mouth onto the gel because it does burn when that happens. Anyways, I left the gel on for 10 minutes and did the process twice a day for two weeks.
Now my teeth are very bright. Though it was hard for me to notice because I kept looking at my teeth and barely saw a difference. Luckily my mom pointed it out. Also, a little tip! To maintain and help the whitened teeth, purchase their toothpaste. It does wonders!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2012 1:43:00 PM More reviews by april1976

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Let me preface my review by stating: I have no dental issues. No tooth sensitivity, no gum issues, never had gingivitis...etc. I think this is important to note, as half the online reviews I read that gave this less than stellar ratings had the individual admitting to existing dental issues.

Now, from my end: I have found this works very, very well. In fact, I would recommend not spending $$ on Crest Strips or $$$ on a professional whitening and just use this a few times, appropriately spaced out.

My useage is:

First two days of purchase: 5 minutes on both days. Then once every two weeks for 5 minutes only. I brush my teeth normally, dry them off with a cotton pad, apply the gel with a clean cotton swab, wipe any and all excess product off my lips and gums, then wait 5 minutes. I then rinse and brush again normally.

I also believe those with adverse reactions did not wipe the excess off their lips and gums before sitting for 5 minutes. Hello? It's not gum/lip whitening....it's for your flipping teeth. So, wipe that stuff off your lips and gums before you sit with it soaking in your mouth for five minutes.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2012 7:37:00 PM More reviews by AmandaRose83

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

It's been over a week since I started using the whitening gel. I can tell a major difference. My teeth are much brighter and look so much better. I love it! I wish I had taken before and after photos. I just apply this to my teeth with my finger or q-tip and let it sit for 5+ minutes, followed by brushing my teeth.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/25/2012 2:07:00 AM More reviews by angie7595

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

When i bought this at target i couldn't believe that it was less than $10 for the tube of whitening gel, the mouth guard and the whitening rinse. The first time i used it, my teeth didn't look any different but as i continued i noticed that my teeth go a little whiter, then one day i used it and my teeth were super white! I still use it and have had it for almost a year. My teeth look great in pictures and people always ask how i got them so white! It's awesome!! :) The only thing i don't like about it is that the whitening rinse has a weird package..its a bottle with a spout which creates a mess,the gel is in a tube which is good, and the mouth guard isn't very comfortable but i got used to it. Every time i use this product i keep it on for about 20 minutes because i don't think 5 minutes is enough time.
WARNING: If you use the product and your mouth has a weird feeling or you feel a burning sensation on your gums take it out immediately!! I have a pretty high tolerance to pain and i felt a tingly feeling on my gums and i left the product on and when i took it off my gums were white!! it was terrible! luckily after i brushed my teeth a few times it faded a way but it was painful and sore for a while.

If you don't want to spend too much money on a whitening product you should definitely try this!!