September 17, 2014 | 1923 users online

Cleansers - Spectro - Spectro Jel Cleanser for Blemish-Prone Skin (Fragrance Free)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2013 6:56:00 PM More reviews by pinkcandii

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

As someone with very dry scare prone acne skin, this non-foaming, SLS-free, and fragrance-free cleanser is a life saver. It has literally been my HG cleanser for 6 years!

When I properly use this cleanser and moisturize my face, I am relatively acne free except for the one or two due to my monthly cycle. This cleanser has a thick gel consistency that isn't runny like a serum, but rather has a thick hold so you don't have to worry about it running and streaking down your neck.

I find this cleanser is most effective when you apply it to a dry face, massage it like you would any other cleanser, wet your hands a bit, massage some more, and continue this cycle for two three more times until most of the product has already been rinsed away. Then just rinse your face and finish up your routine as usual. With this method I find that most the icky stuff comes out without leaving my face dried and tight.

Word of caution: this product is not meant to remove makeup or mascara. When wearing makeup, I always wash once with Shu Uemura cleansing oil first then follow up with this gel cleanser.

UPDATE: Jan 2013, i think Spectro had a bad batch or changed the formula as my bottle was super runny and smelled different from the old batch. I'll repurchase again in a month or two's time to see if it is really a new formula. If so, I will discontinue purchasing as this new runny formula has done NOTHING for my skin :(

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2013 1:24:00 PM More reviews by jennadev74

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I got this for dry skin, amazing!!!! does not bother eyes,excellent for removing all makeup, no scent, calming and skin very clear now, non drying and priced very well at I think $6.99

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2013 8:09:00 AM More reviews by secondadonna

Holy-grail cleanser. I see little difference between the various Spectro Jel formulas, so I use the problem-prone one just in case, but once or twice I've bought the other formulas and don't see much difference. I like that this one is completely fragrance-free, though.

This is INFINITELY better than Cetaphil. Cetaphil leaves me with ever-increasing clogged pores. Spectro just leaves me with clean skin -- no residue, no extra dryness. Just skin.

It does NOT totally remove a ton of makeup or anything waterproof. You'll need eye makeup remover if you wear waterproof mascara, and you'll need a washcloth or maybe a brush if you're trying to use this to remove heavy foundation. Instead, I use this to remove any traces of residue from oil, and to "reset" my skin in the morning in the shower. Wouldn't go without it!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/18/2012 1:29:00 PM More reviews by zombie_candy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My skin condition summary:
Oily T-zone
Acne-prone (clogged pores, whiteheads, cystic hormonal, PCOS)
Hyperpigmentation from past acne on cheeks and chin
Darker forehead and around mouth with slightly lighter cheeks
--------------------------------------------
I wish there was a "maybe" option under the "would you buy this product again". Anyway, I've been using this cleanser on and off for years but mostly back when I still believed that dermatologists had the answers for curing acne (they don't). It's a very gentle cleanser, which was a plus, considering that all the other products I used (toner, treatments, exfoliating) were harsh enough. So to balance the equation, it was good to have something gentle. I never relied on this to take off makeup---I precleanse with a cleansing oil first and then used Spectro Jel. It doesn't take care of acne at all, much less the giant cystic ones I get around my chin and mouth at the time of the month. You have to use stronger, more potent things for your acne. But I like that it doesn't dry my skin out. However, after I finish a bottle, I usually move on to other things to find better. I may come back to it or I may not.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/10/2012 6:12:00 PM More reviews by winniewyli21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

My sister said she had great results after using this on her skin because it was really gentle... but I did not gain the same results. We both have troubled skin and I really did not like using this product.

My face did not feel clean after I washed it and I broke out even more cause I kept on touching my face - it felt dirty and itchy. Because this product is a gel, it doesn't foam and the package claims that you can lather the product on and just wipe it off without water. DO NOT DO THIS! It clogged up all my pores and got my face all congested! I will stick to salicylic acid foaming cleansers for now and stay away from gels.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/24/2012 7:13:00 PM More reviews by moogagirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm surprised this gets such great reviews. My skin is extremely dry and sensitive to winter conditions. Since using this (about a week now), I have noticed a few blackheads, which doesn't ever happen. My face has been flakey, which is nothing new in the winter, it's just that this hasn't helped whatsoever. Also, I find the smell terrible and toxic - like there is alcohol in it, which should never be in a dry skin product.

Will not be buying again.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2012 12:12:00 PM More reviews by lauralovesmakeupxo

Best Cleanser i've tryed, i used it last night and i can already see some improvement. Its the best! Try it :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2012 11:32:00 PM More reviews by catty7

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this on sale at Shoppers for the first time together with Spectro Derm for sensitive skin. I love the pump, that they are gentle and have no SLS, lanolin or parabens, or dyes or added fragrance, however I am not too fond of their smell. By the time I finish both bottles, I am sure they will reformulate them, hopefully the scent can be improved or masked more. Other than that I am happy with both versions. These beat stinky Cetaphil's Oily Skin Cleanser (possibly discontinued?) any day, and are truly mild.
Update July/13: I now use these in addition to mornings, in the evenings to cleanse my skin after using makeup remover or micellar cleanser to make sure it's all off. I am always looking for the next best thing, but would not be averse to repurchasing during a sale.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2012 12:35:00 PM More reviews by Twiga

This is my go-to cleanser. It's super gentle and leaves my skin feeling soft. I've been using it for years! It's the most gentle cleanser I've ever tried, including cetaphil. It was recommended to me by my dermatologist when I was struggling with acne, and I've never turned back.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2012 12:07:00 AM More reviews by angief44

I have suffered from all kinds of acne since I was in my early teens. I have tons of scars + blemishes all over my face, that were probably made worse throughout the years by over scrubbing, exfoliating, and using a ton of different cleansers. I used to basically use plain bar soap to wash my face as that was the only thing that wouldn't irritate it.
I saw this on sale at the grocery store so thought I'd give it a try. Sure glad I did! Have only been using it for two weeks and definitely see an improvement. Greatly reduced my acne and redness. Overall skin looks brighter, and I've noticed pores are reducing too.
As many have said, doesn't remove makeup well. I wear a ton of foundation so I've become used to removing my makeup prior to cleansing my skin before bed... So this isn't an inconvenience for me. I'm not at all bothered by the smell; but then again I'm not overly sensitive to smells, and also use BP so I guess the medicinal smell is something I'm used to.
Gel consistency took a few days of getting used to, but I like the way it feels now. My face feels so clean after.
Packaging is quite ugly to be honest; but pump is super convenient. I could care less how it looks though, as long as it gets the job done.It seems expensive right off the bat but the bottle is gigantic, so fairly inexpensive for the amount you're getting.
Would recommend to others with similar issues as mine.