July 31, 2014 | 1295 users online

Hair Treatments - Neutrogena - T/Gel

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2008 6:12:00 PM More reviews by laynesaidwattt

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

This did not get rid of my dandruff at all. not worth it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2008 1:10:00 PM More reviews by Cymbaline

I have tried this a long time ago and it didn't do anything for my dandruff but I'm not sure if I should blame the shampoo. I have recently found out that I'm sensitive to sulfates and any shampoo, including this one, which has sulfates will dry my scalp out. I use to have very dry scalp which always felt one size too small right after I shampooed , regardless of what shampoo I used. I would also start off with very large flakes and then a day or two later if I haven't shampooed again my scalp would become very oily with dead skin buildup. Gross!

Now my scalp feels great but not because of this.

If this product didn't work for you consider purchasing a shampoo that doesn't contain sulfates.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/18/2008 9:05:00 AM More reviews by ICN

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

If you have dandruff as a result of dermotoses (should be differentiated from dermatitis) of the scalp, consistent use of this coal tar based product should produce results where the skin condition improves. If you have dandruff as a result of a fungal problem, it would be advisable that you use a product containing pyrithione zinc (i.e. Head & Shoulders) or Nizroal as the active ingredients in these products target the fungal cause of dandruff.

T/Gel, in a nutshell is somewhat drying. In comparison to other tar based shampoos, T/Gel isn't the worst. I would recommend that T/Gel conditioner be used after the shampoo as it is designed to work in unison together. The conditioner is perfumed and isn't overly rich like your conventional conditioner. The problem that I had with it was that it melted far too quickly and had to use a handful of it to cover my hair - note that I'm a male and do not have long hair.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2007 10:11:00 PM More reviews by sakecat22

I find myself purchasing this product when my scalp gets super crazy itchy and flaky. It feels great on my angry scalp and leaves my hair reasonably manageable. I wouldn't use it more than 2x per week and I'd be nervous about using it if my hair were colored and/or lighter than tar. The fragrance also takes some getting used to - it screams "treatment shampoo." Still, I haven't found another dandruff shampoo that I like as much.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2007 4:08:00 PM More reviews by hapapower

I've used this for years, and I think it's an effective product. I use this twice a week and then interchange it with Nizoral twice a week. This combo has worked like a charm for me, and I don't get the overdrying I used to get when I only used the T-Gel 4x a week. T-Gel is definitely drying. Best thing to do with this product is to lather it up on the scalp with plenty of water and let it sit for several minutes. Whatever you do, don't get this stuff in your eyes!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2007 2:11:00 AM More reviews by AlyHeartsYou

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Well it's a darn good thing this product cures my dry scalp that occurs in winter, because it smells (and looks) like flea dip. I lather some into my scalp really really well and let it sit for a little while. Then I rinse thoroughly and condition only the ends of my hair to prevent them from getting dried out. That system seems to work nicely and the smell of the shampoo doesn't linger on my hair *thank god*. EDIT: My dry scalp got worse over this past summer and t-gel if anything made it worse. I don't know why it stopped working since it used to work so well. The good news is garnier's anti-dandruff shampoo does work...and smells a whole lot better. continued >>

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2006 7:06:00 PM More reviews by moorkitty

This is a good product with a good concept. If your scalp problems are mild, this will do the trick, otherwise you will have to step up in strength to the Nizoral which is IMO a heavy duty product.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2006 1:41:00 PM More reviews by flyyy372

this stuff doesn't smell great but it works. i'd recommend lathering it, esp on the scalp area, and leaving it there for a few minutes, the longer the better. i don't think it leaves your hair smelling strongly of this stuff but i also don't think it smells great so if this bothers you i'd recommend using this for a few minutes, rinsing it out, then washing again w/a good smelling, mild shampoo. i use it once or twice a week as a preventive.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2006 7:25:00 AM More reviews by foxykitty25

i didnt care much about the smell which is not as bad as some of the reviews here have mentioned but i just cant stand the way this shampoo made my hair very dry and frizzy. i probably used it for like 3 times and i didnt see any improvements on my scalp. i cant stand dry hair so i did not used this long enough to see results.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2006 6:52:00 AM More reviews by palmst

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have an oily scalp which gets that horrible "oily smell" during the course of the day, making it necessary to wash my hair everyday. This fantastic product fixed the problem the first time I used it. I now use it once a week as a "treatment" and it keeps the oily scalp away. Agree it smells awful, but if I follow with my regular shampoo & conditioner, its fine. I wish I had come across this years ago!