Lemon Juice

Price: $

5% to 6% (approximately 0.3 M) citric acid, Vitamin C, pH 2 to 3

on 9/29/2013 2:23:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've been using lemon juice all over my face for like 4 days straight now and let me tell you, it's my HG treatment for my acne-prone skin now! :D All I did is slicing a lemon into a thin slice, squeeze it into a glass and then rub the slice directly on my face gently, so the texture of the surface of the lemon will act like a natural scrub for me. Leave it for like 5-15 mins (depends on my schedule) and after that, just rinse the face with tepid water. As for the remaining juice (the one that I have squeezed into the glass), I'll just mix it with my green tea as a detox for my skin. I have done this everyday straight and I can see that my skin is glowing! In fact, there is this huge pimple on my right cheek here, and I just take a Q-tip dip it into the lemon slice so that it absorbs the juice a bit, and then I just dab it onto the pimple and just leave it overnight. And guess what, the next day my pimple shrinks by itself!

Fyi, lemon juice is just too acidic to be left on the WHOLE face overnight. On the pimple yes but not on the whole face. It might trigger the skin. So, if you still want to do that, I suggest you to spray on rose water to stabilize the pH of your skin after you have rinsed the lemon juice on your face. :)

on 9/25/2013 11:42:00 PM

I like to add lemon juice in to my homemade face masks. It brightens my skin and helps to fade any old acne scars on my face. It doesn't break me out but can dry out the skin a bit if I use too much. All natural and fades acne scars, that's fantastic. If you use this try to stay out of the sun or use it at night.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I love everything about what it can do internally and externally! Lemons are brilliant!

on 9/11/2013 9:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I had clear skin before trying this. I am not prone to acne. After one application, everywhere I applied the lemon juice I had tiny, itchy bumps! Make sure you do a test patch on your skin before you try this all over your face.

on 8/22/2013 7:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Since I have acne prone skin I use two scrubs specifically for that problem. I use a baking soda one and a egg white lemon mask. Using lemon alone (without diluting it) is DANGEROUS. Lemon is high in acidity and can cause irritation and darker skin if not used with a liberal sunscreen. I suggest mixing it to make a face mask or diluting it with water (still use sunscreen after!).

on 8/12/2013 6:06:00 PM

Count me in. This stopped my cystic acne in it's tracks. Very very few pimples, like one every couple months now instead of 2 a day. I can eat chocolate, I can eat desserts all I want. I don't leave it on. I put a half a lemon's juice on my cheeks, then immediately wash off with my cleansing routine. i can't stand the stinging and having it on. It does it's job without having to leave it on. Fades away all kinds of scars and dark spots.

on 8/11/2013 4:19:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I would have never thought this actually works. It helps clean out my pores and it gets rid of my black heads. My method is squeezing lemon juice on a cup and with my clean fingertips I apply it on my face. Yes there is a tremendous itching sensation but it fades within a minute. I leave it on all night and when I wake up I wash my face in the morning and I wake up with super clean glowing skin. I do not have sensitive skin and my face is very oily an I wear SPF every day so I'm not sure if this will work on people with dry/sensitive skin but its worth a try.

on 8/8/2013 3:05:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I haven't used lemon juice for awhile, tear tear :,( lol. I'm pregnant and I have sensitive skin when I'm pregnant. That being said it is definitely jot good for sensitive skin. You can still be apart of the lemon-y fun, but DILUTE it with water. I'm just gonna say how I find it most effective.. Ok, I take a lemon, cut it in half and squeeze the juice into a clean bowl (even seeds). I get cotton balls and soak a couple in the juice, then squeeze them out a bit, but not too much. Then, I take the cotton balls and just set them on places that I have break-outs or hyper pigmentation problems left over from acne. I lay down and just leave them on. Read a book, or just enjoy the silence, or listen to music. It might sting a little.. Depending in your pain tolerance. The tingling just makes me believe its working, lol. Then I leave them on a total of a bout 20 minutes... Then take some more cotton balls that are soaked in the juice and apply them again for another 30 minutes. ( if you have a large area of problem areas, use cotton rounds) then once the 2nd round of 30 minutes is up I take a cotton ball soaked in juice and rub (gently) on my face.. When it is applied like this and rubbed abrasively it's similar to a light chemical peel. So anyway, I rub gently and let if dry.. Then soak another cotton ball and keep repeating this until my face is sensitive and feels like its too hot. Then rinse with warm water and wash with a light of gentle face wash. I then apply extra virgin olive oil to my face. ( it won't break you out, I promise) I did this every night for 4 days and by the time my vacation time was over and returned to work I was getting compliments and saw a major reduction in my hyper pigmentation and blemishes. Have fun& know your limit! Good luck everyone.

A word of warning to anyone using lemon juice (or any type of citrus fruit) to fade acne scars and freckles: if you don't slather SPF 30+ on your face in conjunction with a wide brim hat, sunglasses, and add in an umbrella while you're at it -- it will come back to haunt you, but worse.

I used my own lemon and sugar scrub and/or lemon juice toner last January-September 2012 (initially loving the bleached effect but....), by the end of October, I had two new age spots and my freckles had actually darkened SIGNIFICANTLY. I had gone to the lake a number of times and wore SPF and a hat but it wasn't enough. If you use lemon juice on your skin, you might as well be vampire and never go out into the sun.

Citrus fruits juices and oils are PHOTOTOXIC -- meaning that they make the skin much, much more sensitive to the sun, even attracting sunlight to the skin and darkening it as well as darkening pre-existing spots (this creeps up on you -- first, your spots will fade and you'll be all happy, but if you end up driving with sun exposure or even sitting by a window a few hours or going to the pool, you'll slowly see things darkening before you know it). Even if you don't have it on your skin during the day, its residual effect lasts in the skin up to 12 hours, so you still need to use caution out in the sun.

This is information that I obtained from a Naturopath Doctor who was aghast that I had used lemon juice.

If you want to fade spots, try turmeric (tons of reviews on MU) -- it's not PHOTOTOXIC!!!

on 8/4/2013 5:12:00 AM

Brilliant for acne scars IMO. I've been using clearsil and this expensive microdermabrasion treatment and neither have worked as superbly as this little devil.

My action plan:
-Take an ice cube and rub over areas needing to be treated.
-I squeeze around a quarter of a lemon into a bowl and apply without dilution. Use more or less depending on how large the area needing to be treated is.
-Take the squeezed out peel with the leftover bits and rub directly onto skin. This part is a bit messy but if you do it at night you'll be sweet come morning time as it rubs off.

I'd advise people who have sensitive skin to spot test for around two weeks. Yes ladies, I know you want instant results but this stuff can be quite harsh on some skin types and can destroy your skin, so it's worth the wait. Saying this, I did find it broke me out a little initially, but my skin recovered and I'm seeing major improvements at a much quicker rate than normal.

Note: I have not seen any changes to my actual acne, just the scars

Popular Treatments (Face)

Retin A
Lemon Juice
Nerium AD

Top Rated Treatments (Face)

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products