July 28, 2014 | 2213 users online

Treatments (Face) - Lemon Juice

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 8/6/2013 6:07:00 PM More reviews by saramason111

A word of warning to anyone using lemon juice (or any type of citrus fruit) to fade acne scars and freckles: if you don't slather SPF 30+ on your face in conjunction with a wide brim hat, sunglasses, and add in an umbrella while you're at it -- it will come back to haunt you, but worse.

I used my own lemon and sugar scrub and/or lemon juice toner last January-September 2012 (initially loving the bleached effect but....), by the end of October, I had two new age spots and my freckles had actually darkened SIGNIFICANTLY. I had gone to the lake a number of times and wore SPF and a hat but it wasn't enough. If you use lemon juice on your skin, you might as well be vampire and never go out into the sun.

Citrus fruits juices and oils are PHOTOTOXIC -- meaning that they make the skin much, much more sensitive to the sun, even attracting sunlight to the skin and darkening it as well as darkening pre-existing spots (this creeps up on you -- first, your spots will fade and you'll be all happy, but if you end up driving with sun exposure or even sitting by a window a few hours or going to the pool, you'll slowly see things darkening before you know it). Even if you don't have it on your skin during the day, its residual effect lasts in the skin up to 12 hours, so you still need to use caution out in the sun.

This is information that I obtained from a Naturopath Doctor who was aghast that I had used lemon juice.

If you want to fade spots, try turmeric (tons of reviews on MU) -- it's not PHOTOTOXIC!!!

15 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/4/2013 5:12:00 AM More reviews by srao92

Brilliant for acne scars IMO. I've been using clearsil and this expensive microdermabrasion treatment and neither have worked as superbly as this little devil.

My action plan:
-Take an ice cube and rub over areas needing to be treated.
-I squeeze around a quarter of a lemon into a bowl and apply without dilution. Use more or less depending on how large the area needing to be treated is.
-Take the squeezed out peel with the leftover bits and rub directly onto skin. This part is a bit messy but if you do it at night you'll be sweet come morning time as it rubs off.

I'd advise people who have sensitive skin to spot test for around two weeks. Yes ladies, I know you want instant results but this stuff can be quite harsh on some skin types and can destroy your skin, so it's worth the wait. Saying this, I did find it broke me out a little initially, but my skin recovered and I'm seeing major improvements at a much quicker rate than normal.

Note: I have not seen any changes to my actual acne, just the scars

rated 1 of 5 on 7/22/2013 6:27:00 AM More reviews by 4zr4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I read sooo many reviews and watched sooo many videos before applying lemon juice on my skin and all of them were just about the benefits considering you want to brighten up your skin tone and fade acne scars/blemishes. I was really excited and thought I found my always available and cheap home remedy, so I can immediately go ahead and try it. And... I did. Big mistake. At first it was kinda ok. I was optimistic about it all and was ''ignoring'' that little spots and stinging after applying it. It was like a placebo really. I thought to myself who would pay min. 50 dollars for a good serum when you could just buy a lemon, haha. Aaaand then... after about 2 weeks of applying lemon juice on my face every night and sometimes morning too when I didn't have to go out, I broke out TERRIBLY. I'm still recovering from the break out and it happened three week ago. The saddest thing about it is that I had got rid of my acne before that and all I was left with was that hyperpigmentation. Great job. Made it even worse now.
However, I may have overused it. I didin't mix it with water or anything else, but neither did my skin feel dry after that 2 weeks. Every skin is different, so if you really want to try it, go for it, there are a lot of reviews saying it helped, but I wouldn't advise it. It's better to save some money for a good quality serum and not to mess with your skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/18/2013 11:58:00 AM More reviews by SkinMasquerade

during the winter my hair darkens and in the summer the sun bleaches, and well I was in the middle of winter at the time and wanted light hair. I read online that lemons were one of the natural methods to bleach you hair. so I mixed 1/4 lemon juice, 3/4 water together. I was using it twice a day for a week, and let me say all it did was give my hair a red tint, and make it all dry underneath, near my bottom hairline. till this day my hair still has a red tint(any tips how to get it out?) and the hair underneath near my bottom hair line is still dry.
*I guess this is more for blondes when it comes to hair lighten, and when making the mixture be sure to add conditioner so u don't make the same mistake as I did on over drying my hair:)

EDIT!: lol opps I didn't realize when it said lemons it was talking about skin treatment, but I still would recommend it on the skin because it probably would be to harsh, if your looking to even out your skin tone try DIY vitamin c crystal serum

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2013 10:04:00 PM More reviews by nekkun

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Oh my gosh, this stuff works like a dream. :) I had horrible cycstic acne along my jaw from the oil cleansing method (BE CAREFUL) and this totally cleared it up. It might seem silly to use citrus fruit on your face, but it works. In the beginning I used lemon juice every day, but now I'm down to 1-2x a week. My skin has never been clearer! I'm grateful for this cheap product. Just cut a lemon into slices, squeeze the juice out. and pat it onto your face. Leave for 15 mins and rinse with cold water. Voila! Smooth, soft, and clear skin. Try this before you fork out $$$ for worthless acne scrubs/washes! All I use is this and sunscreen and I love my simple routine!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/12/2013 4:29:00 PM More reviews by zoestark

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

May want to think twice about using lemon juice on your face. A recent article in CNN has a dermatologist talking about DIY skincare and lemons aren't high on the list.
"Citrus fruits, like lemons, can irritate skin, Day said. So if you're looking at a beauty recipe that calls for rubbing orange juice on your face or lemon wedges on your lips, stop reading. (Lips don't have oil glands, so they're especially sensitive",- to read full article go to

12 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/11/2013 3:45:00 AM More reviews by Vixes

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I never had big problems with my skin until this year - I started picking at my skin like crazy, and I'd pop every tiny bump that appeared on my face. My face got so red and horrible, and I went through so many different concealers trying to hide the acne bumps and redness from all the popping. Most of the marks were just scabs due to my crazy popping. Anyway, when I realized it was a problem, I tried to stop popping my pimples and tried many different cleansers to get rid of it. None of them worked. I decided to use lemons after a friend recommended them, and this has worked wonders for me! The first few days, I didn't see any dramatic results, but my pimples did start to fade slowly. Then one day I woke up, and a significant amount of redness on my face has decreased. ***EDIT: I think my skin must've gotten used to the lemon because it has been getting worse and going back to normal with the redness. I bought a cleanser that used to work for me when my skin was pretty clear and was using it in conjunction with the lemon treatment, which was working better, but then when I ran out of lemons and just used the cleanser, my skin became way, way better! So for now I'm going to have to stop using lemons on my face.***

What I do: I cut a lemon in half and rub it around my face. I keep the other half of lemon in the fridge in a container. What I used to do: Squeeze the lemon, store the juice in a container. Apply the juice to my face using my hands. In my opinion, this is messier and not as good as freshly squeezed juice.

I am a little concerned about the price though. A lot of people on here seem to think it's cheaper, but assuming 25 cents for half a lemon x 30 days = $7.50 every month using my method. The average drugstore cleanser costs $7.50 and usually lasts me well over a month. I don't mind paying a little more, but I just thought it was an interesting thing to see. ***EDIT: Although I don't use lemons anymore, I've found a more cost effective way to use them using my method. When you're done using one half of the lemon, cut a small slice/piece off (from the side that made contact with your face) and you can reuse it! Just store that in the fridge along with the other half. This way, half a lemon would last about four days, or a full lemon for eight days, 50 cents / 8 days = ~6 cents x 30 days = ~$1.88 per month.***

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2013 5:03:00 PM More reviews by AJ6488

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I don't believe it works best when applying directly onto the skin, but I do make sure getting the nutrients from lemon juice daily as part of my healthy diet. When you are healthy inside, that how you look your best outside. I mix some lemon juice with honey into a glass of warm water and drink it every morning which helps to warm and clean up my stomach and digestive system before breakfast, also I squash some lemon juice into a cup of warm water and drink it before each meal, which helps detoxifing my body and better digesting the food which it's crucial for weight lose and staying fit. I also add some to my salad together with extra virgin olive oil, organic apple cider vinegar and sea salt. The vitamin C inside of the lemon juice helps improve the skin condition better when you take it inside of your body rather than applying directly onto the skin.

However, I love lemon juice as an extremely effective eye drop. I know I know there are a million people agree on never using lemon juice as an eye drop because the citric acid causes serious burning sensation, but in my case, it works way better than any drug store eye drops I tried. I'm experiencing seasonal allergy and getting serious itchy eyes, I tried to use the drug store eye drop (suppose to treat allergy) and it made my eyes feel even itchier :((( Now I mix 50% lemon juice and 50% distilled water and use a Q-tip to dip some into my eyes, after about 10 seconds of burning sensation, my eyes stop feeling itchy, appears less red and feel well moisturised, and it stays effective for hours.

The truth is the citric acid in lemon juice does cause serious burning sensation (which you should always mix it with purified or distilled water to use as an eye drop), but it is also used widely as an active ingredient in the medical eye drops as well as the vitamin C in lemon juice. I don't see the burning sensation from natural citric acid will harm you in any way more than the poisoning chemicals used in the medical eye drops (which is why the doctors always suggest to limit the application of eye drops). This is how I stay away from the allergy symptom of my eyes ( I'm not interested to take harmful medications unless it's getting serious), also for my eyes to avoid redness and stay bright healthy. If you are ok to apply those poisoning chemical ingredients into your eyes, you should have no problem to try it in the natural way. The burning sensation from the lemon juice and water mixture is nothing an adult can not handle and its harmless, period!

Tips, our skin is different from our eyes and inside of our body so it requires different nutrients to stay healthy, so for those who want to treat acne, try to use tea tree oil on the spots day and night, it works better as an anti-bacteria treatment than lemon juice and harmless when using on the skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/25/2013 5:37:00 PM More reviews by Aleemabak

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Works great for fading acne scars and evening out skintone.

Only thing is should use 1-2 a WEEK, or else it will dry up skin.

I apply it directly to my face with a cotton ball and I do not mix anything with it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2013 12:14:00 AM More reviews by csample

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I mix lemon juice with water, witch hazel, and a small amount of sunflower/grapeseed oil for a toner. I have been using this all year and I have seen the most improvement in my skin! I am happy with the texture of my skin and any zits that pop up come and go in 1 or 2 days. The thing I am battling most though is redness and while there is no quick fix it seems like every week it gets better and better! I put my skin through SO much torture trying to get rid of acne through high school and some college that my skin is still repairing from that and finally becoming normal again. This has done great things for my skin!