October 24, 2014 | 1090 users online

Eye Shadow - NARS - Kalahari Duo

rated 3 of 5 on 6/26/2010 5:54:00 PM More reviews by anne4hoang

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

On my Asian NC30 skin, I wasn't able to tell the difference between the two colors. The texture is very smooth and blendable. If you like the "no make up - make up look" then this will work for you. But they are a little too tame for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2010 11:11:00 PM More reviews by starrysim

So far, NARS shadows have never disappointed me. I picked up Kalahari on a whim because I don't have any NARS neutrals, and I'm so glad I did! This duo is divine, it's the epitome of class and elegance IMO. The shades are gorgeous - one is a lighter, neutral caramel, and the other a darker, cooler taupy chocolate. There isn't much contrast between the two shades, but using the lighter one on the lid and the darker one in the crease achieves a very subtle daytime smoked look. They are very pigmented, but not as dark as I expected. I can absolutely use them on my lid for daytime. In fact, I can see this being my next interview look. The texture is harder than the NARS duos I'm used to, so there is very little mess and fall-out, but they are a dream to blend. The finish is lovely - not shimmery, and not flat, but rather velvety. For me, it stays perfect all day over Painterly Paint Pot. I think it's an absolute must-have for those who appreciate an understated but stunning look.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2010 5:58:00 AM More reviews by AngelOnFire

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Let me just say that I have a lot of eye shadows, yet my stash really lacks neutral shades. I bought this item as part of a blog sale in mint condition. It is beyond me how the person selling this item (a rather well known MUA) never touched or even swatched it! I didn't see the duo in flesh before, but I knew that this is a different beast altogether when I first wore it a few days ago. Instant HG. Let me explain why.

NARS describes the colours as 'gold confection & sugared cocoa'. I'd say the left is a neutral camel meets bronze and the right is a cooler taupe with a hint of chocolate. But that really depends on the lighting. When I photographed it in natural daylight it came out much warmer much to my annoyance... Anyway, but what surprised me about the colours the most is how well they suit my neutral, very pale skin. Usually, brown shades look either muddy or too warm on me, some pull orange even when they're not supposed to. These, however are ideal, they look natural and graceful. They look like darker nudes on me. And - to my surprise - they also subtly enchanced the colour of my blueish-green eyes. I love the left shade on my eyelids, and the right one on the crease. I also like to mix and match it up with another NARS duo, Bohemian Gold, which consists of a warmer taupe and salmon colour.

The texture and pigmentation of Kalahari is second to none (it reminds me of Balthazar, which is incredible!). The finish seems to be metallic, yet there isn't any discernable shimmer. The shades are buttery and soft, yet firm enough not to cause major fallout. It is incredibly easy to blend, too, being practically idiot-proof. As with most eye shadows, I didn't experience any creasing or fading, but I'm blessed with having eye lids that aren't oily.

I'll keep on buying this until they discontinue it (touch wood) or until I drop dead (touch wood again). I do strongly recommend this to anyone who wants to explore neutrals and taupes, yet doesn't neccessarily want something matte or boring. And, everyone with the colouring of a porcelain doll should have a look at this as well, it might be very well worth it!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2010 1:01:00 AM More reviews by TakenByHim

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Lots of reviews already described the colors in details. I am NC40-42. The left bronzey shade is pretty nice on me but nothing memorable. The right color looks like a light lilac on me and lacks pigmentation. This shade makes me look a bit washed out too. It would look absolutely gorgeous on someone warm toned but lighter skinned..maybe NC30? It has a very pretty sheen to it. The staying power for these shadows is pretty good. They don't fade and they are easy to blend but I have noticed that with the right shade, after 8 hours, there's a few sparkle fallout below my eyes even with primer. I would not rebuy this duo.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2010 7:54:00 PM More reviews by ellesee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

The colours in this are perfect for me - I adore it. They are beautiful and milky and I especially love the darker colour - I haven't found a brown as pretty and chocolatey anywhere! It gives a beautiful sheen and because my skin is so pale I can blend it out for a really subtle neutral day look or build it up over a darker base for night. I love it so much I've almost used mine up and obviously, given the super pigmentation of NARS shadows, this is a testament to how great it ist! Definitely worth the $78 you have to pay for this in Australia!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2010 11:36:00 AM More reviews by joyce628

I can't believe I didn't write a review for this yet! I got this at a sale awhile back because I thought both colours in this duo was suitable for work. And since that purchase, I've been wearing this every single day for work. Is easy to work with when I"m rushing to leave my house in the morning! You cannot go wrong with this..I sometimes even wear this for night outs. Luv this duo...hitting the pan and will definitely re-purchase!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2010 3:09:00 PM More reviews by puppyluv2620

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

another great duo by nars. the colors are very pigmented and show up nicely on me (nw20 for referece). some people have said the colors don't go together and i have to disagree. i use the light golden bronzy color on the lid and then the darker on in the crease and it looks great. the darker color could be a little more pigmented becuase i find myself having to darken up the crease wtih a darker color but its still so pretty. they apply really easily and i've never had problems blending them. yes they are neutral colors and nothing exciting looking but speaking from someone who loves neutrals this is one of my have to have duos by nars and i would repurchase. great for everyday looks!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/19/2009 2:15:00 PM More reviews by adele37

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

The left shade is a golden color with slight bronze undertones. It's great as a natural wash of color. The left is a gorgeous milky chocolate color. Both have minor shimmer and a smooth texture. The colors don't really go together, so if you're looking for a duo to travel with, this won't work, but they're nice paired with other colors. I wouldn't repurchase because as pretty as these colors are, they're not very unique.

UPDATE: After trying these in the winter, I've changed my assessment. Firstly, the golden bronze side is relatively sheer. Secondly, while it does wake up my eyes, it does turn a drop orange on me. I do have a cool skintone; this would probably be stunning on warmer skin. Also, if I'm too rushed applying the darker side, it can look dirty. There's minor fallout, too. I'm actually really unimpressed with these eyeshadows.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/17/2009 11:01:00 PM More reviews by mrsrayhall

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Yes these colors are just your normal run of the mill neutrals which would probably be closly match using any cosmetic line, at least they are when you first look at them. When swatched you get to very unique color: a light golden bronze and a milk chocolate shimmer. As I am a neutral lover I love these colors. Used alone, they act as a highlighter to my eyes, not much color shows on my NW45/47 skin, however, with a base such as Quite Natural Paint Pot, these colors become more vibrant and give that sexy night out with neutrals look. Definitly my favorite Nars duo to date.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2009 6:32:00 AM More reviews by Jaysta1985

I love my NARS eyeshadows and this is the NARS eyeshadow I use the most. The colours stay on my eyelids really well and is extremely suitable for work. It works a wonder paired with NARS blush in luster ... a little contouring using NARS bronzer in laguna and sweep a lil albatross on top. Thats pretty much my daily work routine...

On a side note, the girl at Mecca advised me to use a NARS cream eyeshadow underneath to make the eyeshadow last longer and crease less.. so I bought the cream shadow in Corfu.. it didn't work.. kalahari on its own lasted a lot longer..

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No