December 21, 2014 | 1256 users online

Hair Color - Color Oops - Regular Strength Hair Color Remover

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2012 5:48:00 PM More reviews by nicolemarieee

This product saved my hair! I dyed it with natural instincts semi permanent dark brown and it came out JET BLACK. I looked like a witch. My hair was literally dark as night. I tried hot oil treatments and all that jazz and it barely faded. So I decided to use color oops and I'm so thankful I did. It left me with a natural chestnut color. I was worried it was gonna be orange but it's not! The product doesn't even smell bad like people say.. at first I was like hey this smells good! Because it smelled very fruity.. but once I started applying it the smell kicked in. It doesn't smell like rotten eggs, more like car exhaust fumes. The smell does linger a tiny bit but it'll go away after you shower. It left my hair drier than usual obviously but it's not damaged. Overall I'm very pleased with this product and i'm so glad my hair isn't ugly black anymore.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/14/2012 10:34:00 PM More reviews by spiritedastray

This really does work, in my experience. I bought it when I first started dying my hair black - The very first black dye I used did not turn out very pretty, and my hair looked very inky and dull. I bought a box of this, which was very inexpensive at the drugstore, and used it to remove the original black color. Let me tell you that it does smell absolutely disgusting. I was coughing and gagging in my bathroom and had to go outside for some of the process. It lifted the black right off my hair. My natural color is a dark auburn, but by the time the Color Oops was done setting, my roots were a yellow-blonde color and my roots were red-orange. Freaky! You then have to stand in the shower and wash your hair for forty-five minutes, no exaggeration. I will be honest and say that the process was miserable. However, once I had washed it out of my hair, I waited a few hours for it to dry and then applied the new color. It came out beautifully in the end, and my hair didn't feel too damaged even after being dyed, stripped, and dyed again within two days. I didn't have a problem with the dark color returning, but then again, I was dying my hair black. Not a fun thing to do, but if you ever find yourself hating the new color on your hair, this is an effective product.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/12/2012 3:57:00 PM More reviews by asj6459

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

A little history on my hair. I'm 52 with heavy white around my face and dark blonde/white mix throughout the rest of my head. It hits a bit below my shoulder blades and I've been having highlights (bleached) and lowlights professionally done for a number of years. This past fall, on a whim, I decided to go red. I used a permanent drugstore brand hair dye. I stayed red, going to my stylist until last month. Then I decided I wanted to go back to blonde for the summer. My stylist was less than enthusiastic, and actually started tearing up when I told her. She was afraid my hair would melt when she did highlights on top of "hidden" highlights. So, I decided to fix it myself. LOL!! I started by using a green based light blonde Clairol permanent dye. The highlighted portions of my hair, though hidden under red, sucked up that dye and I was left with warm brown hair with hideously dark, almost black streaks all around my face! Yikes! I read up on Color Oops and decided to give it a try. I bought the extra strength. I fully expected to be bowled over by the noxious smell, based upon what I had read here, but I have to say the smell was not nearly as bad as I expected. Yeah, it wasn't roses, but it didn't bother me and didn't linger in my hair past a couple of shampoos. I DID the strand test and the 24 hour skin patch test, to be sure A) my hair wouldn't melt and B) I wasn't allergic to the chemicals. The strand test didn't lighten as much as I would like, but my hair seemed in decent condition afterwards, so I proceeded. I left it on for the recommended 20 minutes and then shampooed twice and rinsed for 25 minutes. I then shampooed again and rinsed another 5. While it definitely lightened my hair overall, it certainly did not remove all the color. The previously black streaks were now a darker brown, and the rest of my hair lightened to a light reddish brown. I then applied Joico Kpak Reconstructive Conditioner to my towel dried hair and covered with a plastic cap. I slept in it overnight. The next morning, my hair felt soft and healthy. I don't believe the Color Oops did any damage at all. The next weekend, I went to a new stylist (my old one still doesn't want to touch my hair, LOL) and she did heavy highlights. She said my hair seemed to be in great condition. While Color Oops did not remove all of the layers of hair color, it did lighten the most recent color quite a bit. All in all I was pretty happy with it and would definitely use it again.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/8/2012 7:52:00 PM More reviews by xXkristinagraceXx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Awful. Just ridiculously awful. It was about 5 bucks. So not a bad price. But it smells so bad. Like a sewer or a nasty fart. I thought it was lightening my hair. Through the cap i could see it was blonde again. After getting out of the shower and letting it dry, it went straight back to dark brown. Half a shade lighter at the most. Not pleased at all. I would never recommend this product.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/26/2012 3:36:00 AM More reviews by alexxkayy

Okay so I had black hair, and i wanted a normal lighter brown color. I used this product because I saw everyone raving about it on utube saying its better for your hair blah blah. SO I decide to buy it, 12 bucks so I'm thinking "I could buy stripper at the beauty supply across the street for less.." but everyone said it was good so I got it. Read the directions carefully did everything it said THE SMELL OH MY GOD!!!!!!!! It smells like sewage and hardboiled eggs and farts. Its horrendous. Had my mom put it on my hair left it there for 20 minutes like the box said. Rinsed it out shampooed my hair literally 6 times. IT STILL SMELT LIKE CRAP!!!! My hair is now a very dark brown almost black still. This product hardly did anything and FRIED MY HAIR. the ends are SO dry I might as well have bleached it and gotten the same amount of damage with a lighter color like I wanted. Its been 3 days and Iv washed my hair twice and it STILL SMELLS LIKE A ROASTED FART!!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2012 2:02:00 AM More reviews by vlullyot

first off, i got this at shoppers and it was suuuper pricey! (45 dollars for two boxes!!!) but all in all it was worth it. my hair used to be bright red, until i dyed over it with "dark brown" hair colour that actually turned my hair JET black. it looked terrible! i was desperate to fix it so i decided to try this (bleach probably would have killed my hair). i followed the directions perfectly and rinsed for around 35 minutes. my hair is now a lovely dark/medium brown with some red undertones!! sadly i do have a few weird reddish/orange streaks but that was my own fault in the first place for not covering all my hair with the brown dye. altogether though, this saved my hair!! it is not damaged AT ALL, and i know a lot of people complain about the smell but seriously, suck it up. it does linger and it does smell rotten, but it's really not that bad. THANK YOUU COLOR OOPS!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/30/2012 1:31:00 AM More reviews by MallorieN

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

15 years of pharmacy style box hair dye adds up to hair that WILL NOT bleach.
Or at lest for my hair it does. I have been dying my hair a dark auburn, from an even darker chestnut for over a decade.

I always wanted it a bit lighter but nothing I purchased seemed to do anything but make my roots radioactive in brightness.
So I would grab some demi-permanint brown and coat my hair, just to get rid of the harsh band between root and hair.

Twice now over the course of 5 years I have decided to go lighter, both times I used "oops".

The product is in fact a bit stinky, and quite runny, but very east to work though hair. I would advise two bottles to anyone with a substantial amount of hair. Just to be safe.

Both times its worked beautifully, went in hair, worked though hair, washed with about 5 different brands of shampoo (for very effective stripping) for 20 min, and subsequently dyed it a lighter shade of red.

Hair looks fantastic, feels healthy and fine. I didn't loose hair or anything drastic like that.

As far as I can tell this stuff does exactly what it says it does, removes as much color as possible.

To be fair I have never used black shades, I usually dye it as little as possible, and generally do not require much hair attention.
My experience may be unique, but the dyes I have used in the past have not been, and chemically speaking that says everything.

This stuff strips out typical drug store dyes, smells funky but not horrible, and does not seem largely damaging.

Yay!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/27/2012 12:33:00 AM More reviews by dyingforyou

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

i was recommended this product by a friend, who has used it many times on her hair. the most recently was that she was getting dark brown from her hair and it went red, so i was impressed with the results. i was trying to go from a very faded black to blonde, knowing it would end up red/orange in the middle, which i was okay with as i was going to bleach it anyways. i bought color oops, kept it on for as long as it said and washed for about half an hour like it said too. when i looked in the mirror after drying my hair some... it was still black. it made my hair just a tad bit redder but it did nothing it said it was going to do. it didn't even lift a level. i'm severely disappointed and i can't believe i wasted my money on this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/27/2012 12:09:00 AM More reviews by kdbates88

I would definitely use this product again. My hair was dark red (very vibrant) and after one use I am at a light golden (not brassy) brown. I do not recommend using the applicator bottle though. I mixed the two liquids together in the bottle and then put it in a regular color mixing bowl and then applied with a color brush, starting in the back and working my way to the top of my head without ever touching the roots. Afterwards I used Loreal Super Blonde which brought me to a light yellow, and then toned my hair...now I'm a very nice medium ash blonde.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/6/2012 12:07:00 AM More reviews by dtrautz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I don't know how anyone can give a good review about this!! I used it and scrubbed my hair literally for over an hour, scrub scrub rinse rinse rinse scrub scrub and even my boyfriend had to help out because my arms were turning to jelly. And yet all it did was make my roots a bright orange!! The rest of my hair is the dark brown that it was supposed to remove! Unbelievable! I cannot believe I pay 14$ for this junk! It's such a rip off. No one use!!! Seriously! I think the people writing good reviews got paid off to. It's a waste of money and the smell is absolutely horrible and lingers in your hair for days!