September 22, 2014 | 1867 users online

Hair Treatments - Aphogee - Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2013 7:29:00 AM More reviews by Wafflemancer

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

For me, this wasn't the miracle that I had hoped it would be based on the other reviews - but it was very good. I have extremely damaged hair - naturally dark, coarse (latina) hair that has been bleached to death every 6 weeks for the last several years and dyed every color under the sun. After using this, my hair felt stronger and more like it's natural texture, but my bad problem areas were not improved at all. I think my hair is probably just too damaged at this point. A few side points 1) I don't think the smell was really that bad..not nice, but not horrible either. 2) I have shoulder-length hair and I bought the single use packets - it wasn't quite enough. Could have used a bit more. 3) Had to empty the Step 1 packet into a squeeze bottle to use it - it was extremely messy and sticky.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2013 2:39:00 PM More reviews by sarahholman

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I made the mistake of using John Frieda go blonder pray to attempt to give my honey blonde hair lighter streaks. The result was frizzy candy floss hair that was snapping off in chunks! After a few days of depression and internet research I decided to go to Sallys and purchase this product. My hair is now back to normal, shiny and strong! The pieces that broke off even look better as they now lie flat and blend in with the rest of my head. I am so grateful for this product and recommend to anyone who has fried their hair looking for a quick fix!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2013 11:25:00 PM More reviews by Lawlz24

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Aphogee literally saved my hair! I went to a salon recently to get more purple highlights on my hair. The hairdresser not only fried my hair completely but he also managed to rip off a huge chunk of it (I now have a rly weird animu cowlick thing).

I was furious and inconsolable, my hair was gummy and broke off if I dared to brush my fingers through it. I was terrified of getting it wet. At this point it would have been reasonable to cut it off but I absolutely hate having short hair and I spent an eternity growing my hair til lower back lenght so cutting to me was no option. I tried lots and lots of hot oil treatments which helped a bit but did not adress the breakage problem. Finally, I got myself the Aphogee protein treatment from Sally's.

As everyone has stated,it is a very messy application process and the smell is just rly funky (I think it kinda smelled like feet). However, this is a very small price to pay for the total miracle that happened later.

After I was rinsing out my rock-hard proteined hair, I put in the Aphogee conditioner. After that, I put a mix of coconut oil and color protecting conditioner. I was so amazed by the results. I no longer shed a squirrel of hair and my hair feels strong and healthy, almost like how it felt when it was still virgin hair!

I owe the life of my hair to this product, I will be sure to use it every month or so, it is a lifesaver.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2013 3:20:00 PM More reviews by moonandtheriver

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Let me start by saying my hair has been in terrible condition. TERRIBLE. I had split ends all over the sides and it was breaking off like crazy. I tried conditioners, oils, treatments, overnight treatments and regular trimming to no avail. I have no idea why my hair has been so bad, I don't color very often, I dry on a low heat setting and am very light with the curling iron, I use natural shampoos and a leave in conditioner to help with dryness and heat protection. I was frustrated. This was kinda my last resort...honestly I was scared to try this after some of the reviews about it drying rock hard and don't overuse protein, etc. So I bought the packets at Sallys and tried it.I washed and towel dried, put the stuff in a spray bottle and sprayed it on...super sticky mess by the way) and put the blow dryer on it for 15 minutes and that was all it took for my fine thin hair to dry. It was hardened, like having waaaay too much gel dried in your hair. I jumped in the shower and rinsed out, it came out easily. I added the conditioner that came with it and some of my own rich conditioner mixed in, left it in for 5 minutes and rinsed it out. Wow. Soft, shiny hair. I trimmed off the split ends and my hair looks so much better and the dryness and breakage seems to be held at bay. My hair feels better, it styles better, it has the movement it used to have. Wish I had done this ages ago. This seems to be the restart of better health for my hair and I will continue to use this every so often to keep my hair healthy. I have to wonder if my next coloring will be better as well. I love the conditioner this came with too. Not nearly as scary as people make it sound and seem... the worst part was cleaning up the stickiness off the counter afterward. I'm so happy to have my hair back!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/17/2013 2:37:00 AM More reviews by yase88

So when i saw all these reviews, i was sooooo excited to buy this treatment.

I have died my hair to black monthly for a year then 4 days ago i wanted lighten my hair and go dark brown at least! then i saw color oops reviews and wanted to try. I used twice and didnt get any difference in colour, i went to pick up an other box but then i changed my mind and picked up bleach!!!! i was thinking i would only leave it on for 10mins and heal the damage with oils and such. Well i was wrong, i left it in like 30mins, especially at the ends to get ombre look ( hahahha how stupid i am). As a result......My hair was soooooo thin and mushy:((( omg im soooo depressed, don't know what to do with myself:(( My hair is soo long, down to my butt but extremely thin.

Well i just used the treatment (3days after my bleaching nightmare), i felt that mushy feeling was gone and my hair felt harder. I dont think step2 is conditioning enuf but im happy that its not mushy anymore! I was expecting a miracle tho, thats why im bit disappointed.

As everyone says, you cant fix damaged hair over night! but wouldnt it be great, if we could fix it with a treatment that is $5!!

My advice! if u have damaged mushy, strangely soft damaged hair, you should def use this treatment but with different conditioner!! n get a spray bottle for the application!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/7/2013 5:51:00 AM More reviews by NiecyBaby

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Lately I've only been using this right before I get my sew-in. I love how to reconstructs the hair for up to 6 weeks afterwards. Which is just 2 weeks short of the typical length of time I keep my weave in. I haven't tried using this when wearing my hair on its own but will do it soon and post an update.
I definitely recommend putting the formula in a spray bottle, having wet paper towels or washcloths ready to wipe down your neck and wearing clothes you don't particularly care about. Because this stuff will make a mess. It drips and is really sticky.
Follow the instructions thoroughly. I know people who wanted to do things their way and use their own conditioner instead of the Balancing Moisturizer that you're supposed to use. Then they complain that the treatment made their hair really dry and straw like. Use the Balancing Moisturizer right after. Rinse it out and if you want use your regular conditioner after that.
The smell is another story. Its not great but not so horrible that I wouldn't use it. For such a potent treatment you shouldn't expect it to smell like flowers.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/3/2013 12:50:00 PM More reviews by kjb778

I have used this numerous times, but to be honest it did nothing for me. My hair is fine and thin and damages easily from daily styling, heat and periodic coloring. The only way to make my hair better is by regular trims. Maybe my hair isn't as damaged as others and I am grateful for that.

The smell of it isn't bad, just not pleasant. I will continue using it though because it is cheap and maybe it is doing something I am not aware of.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2013 2:17:00 PM More reviews by magpiesparkle

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Three things:

1] Have a fan on in the bathroom or wherever you're doing this treatment as it STINKS;

2] Step One should be done with your head over a sink or bathtub as it's watery and runny.

3] Invest in a hard-shell/hard hat hair dryer. Your arms will thank you for it!

Having said that, this product helped me get my bleached out hair almost back to normal. I followed the directions and the reviews here on Makeup Alley and within an hour or so, I had happy hair again!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2013 5:20:00 PM More reviews by elleycampbell

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Grey

This stuff has worked wonders on my hair! I'm naturally dark brunette and have been box dying my hair since I was 15. I'm now 30 and as you can imagine my hair wasn't in the best condition. I recently went baby blonde over the course of just a few months which wasn't a good idea teamed with damaged, over processed hair. My hair was like straw when dry and stretchy/mushy when wet. I tried all sorts of treatments to help replenish it; from expensive protein treatments, leave in conditioners, hot oils... nothing worked. I came across this whilst searching for affordable at home treatments, and after some online research I gave it a go. It almost fixed my hair with just one application and my hair was soft and manageable again without many signs of breakage/split ends or stretchiness. It's not the easiest thing to apply as it's very runny and goes everywhere... but it's worth the hastle! I use my own clarifying shampoo first, towel dry, add the protein treatment until my hair is saturated, dry until rock hard (don't touch your hair at this point as it will snap!), rinse, apply aphogee balancing moisturizer and leave for a few mins (to balance ph levels... a very important step as Iíve tried it without and hair felt horrible and lacked shine), rinse, apply my favourite moisturising conditioner, rinse again, and that's it. I do this once a month when I have my roots done, or once every two months when my hair is feeling ok. Be warned though - using the treatment too often, such as every few weeks, will result in further damage/breakage. Plus, you MUST use a conditoner after the balancing moisturiser! I only recommended it for dry, damaged, over processed hair. Healthy hair wonít benefit from this treatment and could become damaged.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2013 3:38:00 PM More reviews by jennyjams

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I just used this for the first time and my hair feels amazing! My hair is very dry bleached hair that was in need of a major protein treatment, This did the trick. I followed the directions perfectly (which you really need to do). My hair feels soft and looks really healthy..atleast compared to how it was. I only used step one and then for step 2 i used shea moisture deep treatment masque. I will be using this every 6 weeks for sure!
check out my new blog about my hair growth journey www.waistfulwishes.com