TheBalm BalmShelter Tinted Moisturizer

4.1

Aqua, Ethylhexyl Methoxcinnamate, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Isopropyl Myristate, Cetyl Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer/Isohexadecane/Polysorbate 60, Styrene/Dvb Crosspolymer, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Hexylene Glycol, Sodium Dehydroacetate [+/- Ci 77891, Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499]

on 6/9/2014 10:26:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Long story short -- I love this stuff.

After a bad experience with NARS tinted moisturizer (its lightest shade, Terre Nueve is too dark for my skin), I bought this when theBalm had a 50% off sale one day. I have the shade "lighter than light" which is music to my ears.

I read that it was fragrance-free which is great for my sensitive skin and even at full price, you get more than 2 ounces (which is super rare in my experience). It also comes in a very hygenic squeeze tube (that I can also cut into when I run out and scoop out the reluctant remains inside which is a fun bargain thing).

I use my fingers only, rub it over my face...and that's it. It blends beautifully. I can add an extra layer to places I need it, no problem.

I have pretty good skin and prefer light, dewy coverage (for reference, a layer of L'Oreal true match with a beauty blender is about as heavy as I go). This is my go-to everyday foundation and I will be repurchasing again.

ETA (9/25/14): Bought a second bottle of this when it went on sale on Hautelook last week. Getting it 50 percent off means I'm paying $5.80 for an ounce of product which is blow-your-mind amazing good deal. (Most foundations and BB creams, etc., are one ounce.)

I've tried other foundations inbetween (NARS Sheer Glow, Sephora Airbrush) and this, despite my desire to try new things, will always be with me because it gives me what I want.

ETA (10/20/14): I also highly recommend theBalm for customer service. Hautelook told me, one month after my order was placed, that this product was "oversold." I was pretty disappointed (and also with the fact that I had to call them and inquire, as opposed to the other way around) and reached out to the theBalm about the situation. I got an email back five minutes later, telling me it was bizarre that happened, but that they'd honor my 50 percent discount. In the mail three business days later was my BalmShelter for $12.50.

on 6/8/2014 10:36:00 PM

Best tinted moisturizer hands down! Light coverage, good shade selection, utilitarian packaging without being ugly, large amount of product, and I have oily skin and I won't say you won't get oily, but your skin just stays looking like skin! Will repurchase!

on 6/7/2014 8:30:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

Awful. I wanted to find a good tinted moisturizer since I was transitioning from foundations so I decided to use this one. I got the light shade and it was WAY too dark and orange on me. My skin looked greasy and disgusting. I was so embarrassed and immediately took it off. The worst part is that I bought this from Amazon so I can't even return it.

Definitely sticking with my NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer. Provides enough coverage and looks completely natural on me. More expensive, but totally worth it.

on 5/7/2014 7:45:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I'm really glad I found this tinted moisturizer because it's exactly what I've been looking for.

To start off with I have super dry cheeks that can't handle foundation without looking flakey and unnatural upon closer inspection. Because of this the first thing I look at is how natural a product looks on my face. I've only used one other tinted moisturizer before this one and it was Bobbi Brown's tinted moisturizer (not the oil free one) and the coverage wasn't heavy enough and it made my skin look drier, not to mention the price of it, so I ended swapping that one out of my collection.

With TheBalm's tinted moisturizer I'm just so happy. The coverage is sheer to light. I have red cheeks with spots and it covers a lot of the redness but the spots are still there (I expect this from a tinted moisturizer). The key thing is it looks so darn natural! I can pat it in and nothing will flake up on my face. With this and some concealer I'm good to go.

My colour's around nc25 and I use a mixture of light and light/medium, but lean more towards light.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Love this product, love love love!!! I have in medium, and it's perfectly match my skin (lucky me, I bought it online btw). I love the texture, very easy to blend (using hand or brush), and make my face looks great whereas it's light/sheer coverage with a lil' bit dewy. You can also make it looks matte, just apply matte powder and done, just perfect! Repurchase? Sure!!

on 4/19/2014 12:55:00 PM

I recently bought this TM from Hautelook for about $12,so it was comparable in price to drugstore foundation that I usually wear. This product is fantastic. Easy and quick to apply with your fingers and turns silky smooth. I top it with powder and I'm good to go.

LOOOOVE this product! Creamy texture, yellow toned (i got the shade light) and gets rid of any discolorations or redness on my cheeks. Doesn't look cakey at all, honetly it looks like your skin but better. I would have lived the packaging if it had a pump cuz it's difficult to put the lid back on if you have product on your hands. But so far I love it, although it doesn't cover up scars or blemishes that well, I find that any concealer on top is perfect.

on 2/15/2014 10:36:00 PM

I've been using Laura Mercier for the last 2 years, got this after reading reviews on this site and not wanting to spend another $30 on TM....well I'm a believer, I will never go back. Got it on Amazon for $12, med. color and I love it. It's perfect in every way, It's a heavier cream than LM which is not a bad thing....I feel I get great coverage without having to use a foundation. Love the tube, if you were fair I would think the med. would be too dark. Give it a try for the price you can't beat it.

on 1/10/2014 9:41:00 AM

Love this product, it goes on easy, lasts for ages and is undetectable. My only problem is the shades, im quite fair but I feel the light gives me a pale look and Ive had comments that I look pale which isnt great for a tinted product. However I still give this a 4/5 because everything else is superb and I havent tried other colours so I cant complain too much. I shall be trying the light/medium next time tho.
This did break me out when I first started using it but I gave it rest and tried it a few more times and its stopped breaking me out so my skin must be used to it now.
If anyone has any tips on the best shade please message me. Top product

on 12/23/2013 1:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I like this TM very much! It's probably the best one I've tried yet. It is lightweight, so you don't feel it on your skin at all. It's also somewhat opaque, therefore it lends a little more coverage than your average TM. The consistency is perfect as it's not too watery nor is it too thick. It gives me a healthy glow without making me look like a greaseball. I have pretty good skin overall, but I get the occasional hormonal pimple. While this won't cover up blemishes, it certainly covers up any minor discolorations. The packaging is a squeeze tube, so it stays sanitary. I use my fingers to apply, as I do with all TM's simply b/c they tend to be thinner and brushes seem to eat up most of your product. I love the end result! The only con is the smell. I can't describe it, but I do not like it at all! This is my first tube, so I don't know if I got a bad bottle or what. I took a lippie off for that. If my next bottle smells better, I will change my review. Good news is, the smell dissipates quickly.

Top Rated TheBalm Products