October 31, 2014 | 1537 users online

Tinted Moisturizer - TheBalm - BalmShelter Tinted Moisturizer

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2013 4:18:00 AM More reviews by emilily

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I like this product. It's light, weightless, leaves my skin feeling almost as though no product is on it, and helps to reduce how large my pores look and cover minor blemishes. Unlike foundation, TM does not cling to dry patches of skin, and actually helps to soften skin through the moisturising properties. I do wear moisturiser under this as I don't feel it's quite moisturising enough to wear on its own.
It's almost a one stop product, though I do like to use a light dusting of mineral makeup over the top to set it and provide extra coverage if I need it.
It blends well into my skin. Most foundation I've tried turns my skin yellow or orange, fake looking. The coverage on this is so light it doesn't leave my skin looking fake or made up, which is important to me.
The price was fair, $34AUD and seems reasonable for the product, cheaper than high end products but performing closer to those than to the lower end products.
I would recommend to anyone looking to even out skin tone but who don't want very much coverage, but want to cover pores. Love it!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/27/2013 2:46:00 PM More reviews by admilly101

UPDATE:
I have awarded this a 5/5, because I have come to love this product even more. Its practically perfect in every way (as Mary Poppins would say)! It never makes my face oily, never breaks me out, looks so natural and lovely, blush and bronzer go great over it, the coverage is just perfect. Really, best TM out there.
***************
Overall Rating: 4/5
SKIN BACKGROUND: Combo/Oily, acne prone, SUPER sensitive, mild scarring and discoloration, beige skin with dominant yellow undertones.
PRICE: I purchased mine from Amazon for $20
COVERAGE: For a tinted moisturizer, the coverage on this is fantastic! Light to a light-medium coverage. It evens out my skintone and makes my larger blemishes a lot less noticeable.
FINISH: The finish on this is not as dewy as most TM's, but it is not completely matte either. Its just a very natural, skin-like finish. I would say those with dry skin should wear moisturizer under this, and girls with very oily skin can skip moisturizer. I have combo, and wear just a bit of moisturizer under this.
TEXTURE: Creamy. Glides on the skin very easily
SPF: 18
LASTING POWER: This also has fantastic staying power for a TM. My skin can get oily in the T-zone area, I put this on at 10AM yesterday and it was still there when I took it off at 10PM and I only had to touch it up twice. Pretty impressive, eh?
SHADES: This is one of its downfalls. There is a light, light/medium (my shade), and a medium. The lightest shade is probably too orange for some porcelain girls, and the medium shade definitely is not deep enough for women with deeper skin tones. Light/Medium works great for me.
DID THIS BREAK ME OUT?: Nope
PACKAGING: Squeeze tube. Comes with 2.15 FL OZ., which is a lot given the fact that you only need a small amount of product for your entire face.
WOULD I REPURCHASE?: Yes!
FINAL VERDICT: I love this for the warmer months. I love my BB creams as well, but they are better suited for the winter.

16 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2013 11:43:00 AM More reviews by eeb01

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I am now using this instead of my Jane Iredale base. The Jane Iredale tended to look really cakey under my eyes, which is where I needed coverage b/c of discoloration. I can build Balm Shelter under my eyes without this happening. The light shade blends perfectly into my skin. I apply sunscreen, then Balm Shelter, then a quick dusting of powder. I've used fingers, foundation brush, and beauty blender to apply. Love the beauty blender best for applying this. Very happy with the coverage and no longer using base. What could be better!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2013 9:05:00 AM More reviews by zeyneperkal

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Great!! I work sometimes 10 hours a day, it doesn't move or harm my skin!!! I love all the balm products and this is just wonderful. I have a fair skin (not blonde) it just works great, the coverage is good enough for me i don't like the porcelain look on my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2013 1:23:00 PM More reviews by Nyxa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Let me start with my usual preface- I suffer from rosacea and dry skin. That being said, I do use a moisturizer beforehand (embryolisse) and find that this TM works beautifully in conjunction. I love it's consistency- thick enough to feel substantial enough to give me coverage, but not overly so that it feels heavy. I'd say it's the only TM that I have used that comes close to a foundation. I use the color medium and if for some reason it's not matching properly, (due to tanning, season, etc..) I mix in a few drops of MAC face & body in C3 and it is perfection. I found this on Hautelook for $12-$13, but would gladly pay its full price tag of $25 without question. I apply this in everyway possible- beauty blender, fingers, flat/round kabuki brush, you name it, it still comes out flawless. HG product for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2013 11:19:00 PM More reviews by seramadis

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is very very cheap here in Spain where I live, in fact most TheBalm products are, I'm SO glad! I'm also very happy because Spain seems to still be a long ways away from discovering that tinted moisturizers exist (as they seem to be a long ways away from discovering most modern makeup), at least at the drugstore level, so finding affordable tinted moisturizer here is very very very hard. (We can't get Boots, Laura Mercier, etc., all the usual brands of TM that you can get anywhere else in the world.) Anyways, I do like this tinted moisturizer, even though it's not my favourite. My favourite is MAC's. I don't usually like MAC's foundations too much, but I think their TM is great, blends perfectly and is a perfect colour match. I thought TheBalm's TM was a bit thicker and had a bit more coverage than MAC's, which isn't what I like, I like sheer coverage just to even out skintone and hide redness. I also have a normal T-zone and dry cheeks in the winter, and I thought that this TM made me look dry in the dry areas. I remedied that by using coconut oil as a moisturizer instead of cream. This TM spreads on like a DREAM with coconut oil as a moisturizer. It looks smooth, radiant, gives you perfect looking skin and looks like you're not wearing anything. Anyways, one lippie off because it did make me look dry when I used ordinary moisturizing cream. I also got the light-medium shade, since I consider myself fairly dark, NC30, and it was too dark for me! I very rarely wear the lightest shade in anything but it seems I would need to use the light, at least in winter, so that was another point I wasn't too pleased with, as I don't like looking unnaturally dark. I mean, it's not really noticeable, but it makes me look like I got a touch of a tan and at the beginning of spring that's a bit hard to pull off lol. Probably light would be too light, however.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2013 7:11:00 PM More reviews by linachu

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have always hated tinted moisturizer because I felt they did nothing. Too sheer and not moisturizing enough. However it all changed once I purchased TheBalm's tinted moisturizer.

I use the shade light (I am NC20, Nars Gobi, Chanel B10) and it blends nicely into my skin. The texture is lovely, it is not to thick but not too runny. The coverage is light, but it evens my skin and covers minor redness very well. It also lasts on my oily/combo skin, but I always set my face with powder.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2013 10:22:00 PM More reviews by bldsgrsxmgk

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

An amazing product! This falls somewhere between and a TM and a foundation, but is not a BB cream. I love every TheBalm product I have tried, and BalmShelter is not a disappointment. It is just. So. Creamy. It blends like a dream, so luxurious feeling but doesn't go on heavy. This is the quintessential your skin but better product. I have normal cheeks and a tzone that becomes slightly oily under makeup after 6 hours and it works just fine for me; never becomes an oil slick. I don't mind the dewy look so I don't find I need to powder or touch up during the day. Anyway it will probably be too rich for oily skintypes, and although the medium shade runs a tad dark on me in the winter I'm not yet sure how it will fare in the summer months. For dry skin- your skin will love this! On normal-dry types, alike to Revlon's 24H Colorstay Whipped Foundation, it has this amazing tendency to sink into your skin throughout the day, yet maintain coverage, so that it looks better and better the longer you have it on. The amount of product you get is huge and the coverage is lighter but really gorgeous. It doesn't cover every imperfection but is especially good for hiding redness. The coverage is slightly malleable depending on how much product you use, but it blends in seamlessly in any amount. I use bb creams and TMs in rotation so can't tell if it breaks me out, but most things don't (the only thing that has made my skin react was the L'Oreal Magic Skin Beautifier BB; it gave me burning, irritated patches on my eyelids and cheeks). This TM runs dark from the packaging indicator. Because of how emollient it is, apply with your hands. Great product.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/22/2013 1:15:00 PM More reviews by scarmica

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I tried this tinted moisturizer in light/medium, mainly due to the great reviews it gets. It certainly deserves them - what a super TM! Smooth, creamy, spreads like a dream, good coverage (light -med I would say). Looks beautiful on - dewy, glowy, your skin but better. Doesn't look like a heavy makeup at all. You get a good amount of product for the price (about CDN30). Sadly, though I really loved this TM - it broke me out :o( It contains isopropyl myristate which is comedogenic (I in fact went through my entire makeup drawer and pulled out everything I suspected was causing breakouts - and they *all* contained this ingredient; believe it's used for texture/creaminess). TheBalm TM deserves its 4-star rating but sadly I will not be repurchasing! (as an aside - I've found L'Oreal Youth Code BB to be very similar in coverage and finish and it does not break me out).

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2013 12:57:00 PM More reviews by blw0312

I've been looking for a good tinted moisturizer for a while now. Every one that I tried didn't rub in all that well. I found this, and I'm hooked. It actually gives pretty good coverage. I don't have acne or scars, just a little uneven skin tone, and this evens it all out. It rubs in like a dream. It smells good (it's kind of a sunscreen smell, it doesn't stick around though if that bothers you). It lasts quite a while. I had it on until 11 at night (after putting it on around noon) and it looked fine.

I debated buying light or light/medium after I read a few reviews where people with NC/NW 25 skin tone said light/medium was a smidge too light (I'm between NC15 and NC20, more closer to 15 though, for reference). I ended up going with light and I'm glad I did. I think I could even make light work in the summer time when I'm NC20.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No