July 23, 2014 | 1581 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Boots - Mattifying Make-up Base

rated 2 of 5 on 7/2/2010 12:54:00 AM More reviews by marcbymarcgirl

I did not like this product at all! I had high hopes for it because I tend to like boots products, but when I applied this to my face it became quite chalky and only caused my foundation to build up so much so that I had to wash my face and completely start over

rated 4 of 5 on 6/27/2010 5:55:00 PM More reviews by LadyLaw

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm new to this site, but I felt compelled to chime in on this product. I too thought it was to thick at first, but I discovered a trick. I added some primer to a little oil-free moisturizer, rubbed them together on my fingers (to mix the two) and then spread on my face. It spread evenly and smoothly, and went matte almost immediately. It stayed matte for hours, which is great for such oily skin. (It did dry out my skin a bit in the areas where I use acne products even with the moisture added, but easily treated with a little extra moisture at night.) This is one of the best mattifying primers I've used, next to Milk of Magnesia which is by far the best product to use for this purpose EVER (believe it or not).

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2010 8:16:00 PM More reviews by agibeault

This is very thick like toothpaste, leaves a white film and feels like chalk on your skin......but it IS mattifying!! Haha

rated 3 of 5 on 6/17/2010 1:44:00 PM More reviews by aggiemaye

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

As for mattifying, this product does do the job well- wheras normally I would be oily withing 15 minutes from washing my face, and applying moisturiser, foundation and all the rest, this kept me COMPLETELY matte for about 4 hours. This being said my skin is EXTREMELY oily.
However, that is, for me the only good thing about this product. The texture is not great: it' pasty and thick, difficult to apply evenly, especially in a hurry.
After even the thinnest layer being applied it left me WHITE. The kinda stuff nightmares are made from, given I'm only an NC25, and it was extremely visable (even though it did wear down after about 45 minutes or something like that).
Secondly, if you're thinking of applying foundation over it, think again. There are no initial problems with application, even though it can give a slightly cakey appearance. After an hour, though it was a holy mess. The foundation looked uneven, caked on, and "separated". After trying every method to apply different foundations, liquid, powder, creme, anything, it simply did not work. Worn alone with powder, looked very chalky.
And, it did emphasise the flaky skin I have on the sides of my cheeks (due to an acne treatment). Overall, I'd say if you're only concern is oily skin, no spots, bumps, uneven texture, pores, anything (seriously, anyone?), I would say you can make it work. And obviously for some people works, or otherwise this product would have no positive reviews at all. However, I found it does work well as an eye primer, so I will be keeping the tube (btw, didn't mention it: I do like the packaging, small, convinient to use and sanitary), but I won't be repurchasing. Didn't work for me, and I do believe you can do better than that, but this being said, if you hate it, it's still not overly expensive (£10), so it's no big loss.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/6/2010 4:24:00 PM More reviews by NigheanRuadh

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm somewhat surprised at the bad reviews for this. I've been loving it. Trying to manage my budget and my makeup habit has been rough, and I've struggled to find high end primers that work well.
This one is it for me. It really does mattify. And it lasts. Which in the near 100 degree days over the last two weeks of using it, has been a life saver. I'm not reapplying and blotting my nose as much as with other primers. I haven't had any issues with break outs - it's oil free so that helps.
The price is great, at $10 it's a steal, and worth giving a chance.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/4/2010 12:46:00 AM More reviews by aisforauthor

Works pretty well. But it tends to make my liquid foundation build up.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/14/2010 11:14:00 PM More reviews by carolyntaggart

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I LOVE this primer- i've been using it for about 4 months. I have veryy combination skin- very oily forehead, chin, cheeks. I also have a lot of redness, acne scars and acne all over my face. First off, this is NOT meant to be smoothed on.

PROS:
perfect matte, literally ALL DAY
calms redness so i don't need foundation
makes my acne scars and current acne fade
container is great to dispense just what you need
under $10

CONS:
Turns white when RUBBED on (so PAT in on gently)
can only be bought at target :( (No CVS/Rite-Aid/Wallgreens)

I have tried everything to try to keep my face matte, and I have never found anything that even compares to this. Totally worth it and will definitely be picking up another one when I run out.
*i have very acne prone/sensitive skin- I can't tell if this breaks me out.
**has not irritated my skin/felt tight/itchy

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2010 1:21:00 AM More reviews by phoofy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Like many, I had high hopes for this product as well. While it wasn't terrible, and it *did* help some, it just wasn't enough for me. My face turns into an oil slick an hour after applying MMU; the Boots Mattifying Make-Up Base only held the oil at bay for maybe another hour.

Other than performance, applying this product wasn't very smooth. It seemed to "dissolve" on my skin pretty quickly, which means I can't tell how well I've spread it. Often it felt like I was pulling on my skin while applying it.

For $10 at Target, it was worth a shot. I'll continue to use it because I don't have anything else at the moment, but I doubt I'll buy it again.

UPDATE: I added one lippie because I found a way to make this product work better! So if you have oily skin and this base hasn't worked that well for you, I highly recommend trying it WITH a powder primer for oily skin. (I used Meow Cosmetics' Premiere Puss Primer for Oily Skin. Please see my Notepad for more details.)

I wish there weren't as many steps, but if I can last from morning until noon with just a mild shine, I'll take it!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2009 9:03:00 PM More reviews by dmchee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

In one sentence: this is not the miracle I was hoping for. I had high hopes for this product because the 2nd ingredient is hydrated silica which is good for absorbing oil; silica is also one of the main ingredients of MAC blot powder which I've been using regularly. My skin is SUPER oily and MAC blot does an "ok" job of reducing the shine but I wanted something cream/liquid to put on since, during the winter dryness, powders just don't stick to my skin as well. So I picked up a 40mL tube from SDM for $14.00CDN ($9.99US at Target).

I applied this over my nose and upper cheeks only as these are my oily zone (alone, no makeup on top). I had no trouble spreading over moisterized skin; the slip is ok but a thicker application will pill or show white streaks. No detectable odour. Applied at 7am and by 9am there were tiny beads of oil on my nose which I blotted. By noon and again at 3pm the oil beads reappeared after blotting. So yeah..hardly a miracle cream. HOWEVER, the oil beads never appeared on my cheeks so this base works to some level.
[EDIT] This was...wierd with liquid foundation on top. First off, it reduces the "slip" of my foundation - I had to thin out my foundation with some moisterizer and then "drag" it across my skin. Not only did it barely prevent oiliness, but it made my foundation appear "patchy" over time, like some of it slipped off in sporadic blotches. I won't ever again wear this product under foundation; however, it is acceptable for me when worn alone. Will likely finish the tube only because I hate wasting money, but certainly won't repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/7/2009 4:39:00 PM More reviews by w1lk1ns

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have an EXTREMELY oily face is this stuff works better than I expected it too. I apply it only on my t-zone so my cheeks do not dry out. I have had it on today for almost 12 hours and my face is just slightly oily (HUGE improvement). The bad thing about it is that it says you can wear it alone and I find that I have to put foundation over it because otherwise it kind of washes you out. Will absolutely buy again.