December 18, 2014 | 1618 users online

Eye Shadow - Maybelline - Expertwear Eye Shadow Quad in Mocha Motion

rated 3 of 5 on 3/25/2010 6:36:00 PM More reviews by giveintolove

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

The Maybelline Mocha Motion quad helps create a brown-toned day time smokey eye. While the colors do not seem to flatter to flatter hazel-green-brown eyes, I can the quad useful for using certain colors with other browns that I already own. The quad provides four useful colors of any person interested in make-up to own for under $10. The pigmentation is not fantastic but it isn't awful either. Blending is also pretty simple. I use a small shader brush for the lid color, and a 224 brush for the crease and outer corners, followed by a highlighter brush for the brow bone color. Combining these brushes and the quad, you get a pretty neutral smoky look.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2010 10:32:00 PM More reviews by princess101

Well, I have mixed feelings for this quad. I loved the colors in the quad, but was only able to use two of the four. The two darker colors (crease and outer corner) were far too muddy looking on my pale skin. This does not mean they aren't nice colors; just not good for me, The only way to get good color was to load up the brushes, and to use a good primer. Applying UDPP prior to the shadow made the useable colors pop, and lasted most of the day. The shadow was a bit hard, but overall went on smoothly. Only paid $5.99 for this, so I can't really complain.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/26/2010 12:44:00 AM More reviews by tokyorosa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is a nice quad of taupe-y brown matte shadows. It's perfectly wearable for a basic, everyday look (good if you work in a conservative office or something). I wore it for the first time today; I used the "crease" color (a midtone taupe) as a wash of color all over the lid. Without UDPP, over a bit of foundation (MAC Face & Body, which is very sheer and "glowy"), there was only a bit of creasing after nine hours. That's pretty good, I think! The only con is the packaging, which seems cheap even by cheap DS brand standards. And those itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny sponge applicators? Oy vey. Why do I always feel like I have giant man hands when I try to handle those things? (I don't, by the way, have giant man hands--and I use a brush to apply my shadows!)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/25/2009 12:11:00 AM More reviews by thupham2

This is a perfect palette for creating dimension and for contouring your eyelids because of the colour's resemblance to the colour of 'darkness/shadow', thus the colour is good for creating the illusion of depth.
I love that it's matte instead of sparkly because it looks more natural.
I admit it's not highly pigmented, but I prefer this since it means I can never put on too much too soon. After all, you require a light hand when it comes to contouring; the slightest mistake can make you look like you're getting done up for a night of clubbing!

(There are very subtle colour variations between the 3 taupe eye shadows; the upper-right is auburn-based, the lower-left is grey-based and the lower-right is tawny-based)

EDIT: I have to admit that this leaves a really horrible talc off-white colour in flash photography. Horrible. Even though they are meant to be smoky-eye sort of colors, in photos they are ashy and this probably says a thing or two about the base/filler powder used for this eyeshadow as well as the lack of pigment. Cheap. I am glad it's discontinued.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2009 2:40:00 PM More reviews by LuvsMakeup82

I love this quad! I'm an NC35 with tannish skin and they really flatter my eyes. The colors are matte not frosty, and are various colors of brownish beige, more on the darker side. Are these heavily pigmented? Not really, but that is what I like about them...they don't go on super heavy but they are noticeable and pretty...great for day as well as night. Love it and glad I have it...will def get again!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/12/2009 10:22:00 PM More reviews by lwscutie

got this for CAD$5 when it was on sale at shoppers..picked it up considering that I don't have any matte colour eyeshadows! And thought the lower right color makes a good candidate of using as nose shadow too...and I was right! Tried it on just now on my nose and my eyes, its a perfect shade for nose shadow..but unfortunately doesn't make any difference on my eyes :( I will keep using it as a nose shadow. For $5, it's still a great deal to use it for a purpose that's not meant to be!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/5/2009 1:00:00 AM More reviews by adventurous

I like this quad. I'm not saying it's high quality, or that the shadows are heavily pigmented and silky. For the price though, I think it's worth it. With a eyeshadow base, the colors pick up nicely and are great if you are going for a neutral everyday look. These colors are particularly nice if you are looking for neutrals that are a little cooler, rather than warm. The lid color is a clay brown. It's definitely not my favorite color in the quad, but wearable for a basic look. The crease is a nice grey brown. The brow is probably my favorite because it's a very sheer cream shimmer. I feel like most of the time with Maybelline quads or trios, the brow bone color is very garish, and I would never wear it on my brow bone. This one is nice though, and very subtle. It has the least pigmentation in the quad. The outer corner is more of a light brown, and nearly matte, which is nice as well. Shimmer is definitely there for the other three colors, but it's high shimmer, and is downplayed. Nice compliment to the over all look.

While these shadows are not of the highest quality, they pack a punch in price and wearability. These are definitely colors you could wear confidently everyday as a basic look for an office.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2009 8:10:00 PM More reviews by yayitsanne

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I don't have very many matte shadows because I usually find them hard to work with, not to mention chalky and not very pigmented, whether they are high or low end. However, I really like this quad! The colors go very well together and for matte shadows, they are pretty smooth, pigmented, and easy to blend. I feel they work better when used with eyeshadow brushes (I like MAC's 239 and 217) than with the applicators in the package.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2009 9:28:00 PM More reviews by Rae492

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Wonderful quad! So neutral and simple. I sometimes use it for shadow but mostly for my brows. It's PERFECT for that purpose. All the white in my quad is gone because I use it so much for a highlight. But the warm browns match my brow color wonderfully so this is practically a necessity to me now!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2009 2:44:00 PM More reviews by SSeiffert

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this quad on a whim at my local Target, and I am happy I did! It comes in 4 neutral tones, which compliment my brown eyes nicely. This quad is great for beginners as it has what shade is for what embossed in the shadows. (Lid. Crease, Brow Bone, etc.) I also like to mix it up though, and sometimes I'll even use the "lid shade", which is a brown tone with red, in my crease. I find the colors to be really soft, and easy to blend. They weren't at all chalky for me. I think I paid about 5.00 for this quad, which I will definitely re purchase!