October 24, 2014 | 1403 users online

Sunscreen - Peter Thomas Roth - Instant Mineral SPF 30

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2010 2:58:00 PM More reviews by tabloid

Since I have combination skin which tends to get very oily during the summer, I bought the oily-skin version of this, and I love it. I use it over sunscreen lotion in the morning and then for touch-ups during the day, and it works very well. Since my skin is sensitive and has reacted badly to chemical sunscreens, the fact that this is composed of physical sunscreen ingredients is a big plus.
It's easy to use, and the powder won't spill if you remember that you have to pull the cap on the bottom straight down - NO twisting!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2010 4:31:00 PM More reviews by chiggy5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Unable to locate listing for the Un-Wrinkle Instant Minreal SPF 30 version, so this is the closest listing to that... I just had to write a review on this one. Purchased two from Sephora when they were on sale, I did'nt notice til it became time to use it that they expire 4 months from when I received them...gee that's why they were on sale...too late to return them. The stickly/prickly brush that you have to mash against your face to get any product out was a no go and pumping/twisting the bottom of the applicator trying to get product out was working either. So I asked my husband take the PTR with an empty clean B.E. jar and go into his shop and break out the product and put in into the jar...he did. But to mention that stuff makes my skin itchy, I thought it was the bristly application iritating my skin but now it's easy to apply and it's definitely the product that makes me itchy.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2010 7:44:00 PM More reviews by Akear

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am a huge fan of this powder. I work outside most of the time and so sunscreen is a big deal for me. I also get fairly dirty and I like this because I can wipe my face off and reapply my sunscreen easily.

The packaging is a trainwreck though. I don't like the brush and it is impossible to wash it. So...I bought a sifter jar from Sephora and whenever I get a new container of this I immediately unscrew the bottom and empty it into the sifter. That way I can use my own brush that I can wash when I want.

Other than that a great touch up sunscreen product. I have bought time and again and will continue to do so. Would prefer the product to be repackaged though, until then I will do it myself!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/6/2010 5:01:00 AM More reviews by purblu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I can't get enough SPF, so the brush on appeals to me, especially for touch ups while on the go. It's hard to tell how much has been applied and evenly distributed because it's a brush on powder. I haven't done a "test" to wear it out in direct sun to see if I would be protected (love my skin too much), I use it for over my regular SPF later on in the day or if I'm feeling lazy and want to have some form on if I have to run out of the house in a hurry. The brush material is harsh feeling on face, and the dispense method isn't the best either.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/4/2010 3:32:00 PM More reviews by bloodnite

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

This product was very messy and powder got all over everywhere. I will stick to sunscreen creams or wipes instead.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2010 12:26:00 PM More reviews by JaneD

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the perfect on-the-go powder & sunscreen applicator. I live in a sunny climate and periodically need a boost to my sunscreen mid-day - but I also wear makeup, and don't want to slather another coat of sunscreen on. This is the perfect solution. The powder provides sunscreen protection and also is an elegant sheer veil of powder over my makeup. Looks great and is easy to use.

While I do love the way the brush dips into the base to get powder on it, it does have the potential to spill - I haven't personally experienced it yet, despite having the product for 5 months now, but I can see that it could do that for other people. But it'd be easy enough to put it in its own little makeup bag or plastic baggie.

Overall: love this product. Easy, effective, elegant.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/26/2010 2:04:00 PM More reviews by maplesyrup

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought the oily skin version of this as I do have oily acne-prone skin and I was attracted by the high concentration of titanium dioxide and zinc oxide that it has. I was trying to find a sunscreen that has a high % of physical blockers especially zinc oxide because it offers broad spectrum UV ray protection and it is chemical free and photostable since it just sits on your skin and reflect off the UV rays (I was looking at a similar mineral powder sunblock brush by Bare Escentuals but that one only contained titanium dioxide and that doesn't cover the entire UV spectrum even though it does say UVB/UVA protection, so I was very happy when I found this one. The other thing I like about it is that it comes with a little brush and I initially thought it would be great in my purse and I can use it over my makeup when reapplying since it's just a mineral powder and it won't grease up my face. However, I read a bunch of complaints about the packaging and how the powder spills out when kept in a purse so I'm hesitant to do so now, maybe I'll keep it in a ziplock bag just to be safe but the product is too expensive to waste any powder spillouts. I haven't had any problems with the packaging so far but I've been pretty careful with it since I read a lot of negative reviews about the applicator, I did accidentally twist it and some powder fell out from the bottom but the instructions did explicity say not to twist so I can't blame them. I read some reviews where people say they can't put the cap back on after they opened it because the brush is too big, but all you have to do is pull it down and it's fine. One concern I had was that I wasn't sure how much powder was coming out and how much I was applying, I couldn't really tell if it was suffcient for the SPF 30 protection, tapping on the applicator seems to get more powder out. Overall, I think it's a great product and it's convenient to use.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/21/2010 10:52:00 PM More reviews by trapezer

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I really need physical sunscreen (TO, ZO) to keep from irritating my sensitive skin. I also like the fact that this helps quell breakouts. With my tending-towards-dry skin, I apply this over moisturizer in the winter and light sunscreen in the summer. Although this product says it is translucent, I do note a bit of color. Works okay for me as NW20. Might be chalky for darker skin or too dark for paler? Definitely need to buff it out.
fyi, for product use: Remove cap and tap to release product. Buff, buff, buff. Pull base down to retract brush. Replace lid.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/19/2010 10:36:00 PM More reviews by stevenb

I use and recommend the Instant Mineral Powder SPF 45 available exclusively at Sephora. This version removes the Zea Mays/Corn Starch which can cause acne. It also contains almost twice as much zinc oxide and titanium dioxide so it likely provides much better protection ounce for ounce. Plus the price is the same $30.

The brush and packaging isn't as nice as the bare minerals/escentuals SPF 30 Natural Sunscreen but this provides broad spectrum because it includes zinc oxide. Based on the percentages the 45 has 3.6 times as much protection.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/14/2010 3:00:00 PM More reviews by madaket

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I wasn't sure how to rate this because the product itself is fine--titanium dioxide that isn't a greasy white mess, sign me up--but the packaging is HORRIBLE. Mine broke apart when I retracted the brush--the bottom came right off and powder flew all over my bathroom. Maybe I am overreacting but I am IRATE. No way would I repurchase. As I get into my 40s I am finding myself less and less willing to put up with crappy quality. This is going back to Sephora. But when I think about the time it takes to drive there, the hassle, the stink eye I'm going to get for not having a receipt--like I said--I'm really, really mad at this company.
EDITED TO ADD: OK, my bad. The bottom screws on and off (it's hard to tell because the threads are really tiny.) It gets loosened as you use it, then it falls off and it seems like it's broken but you can screw it back on. I guess that means it is refillable, although it is not advertised as such. I raised the rating for the packaging, but not much, because I still think it's annoying that it loosens and it did cause me to waste a lot of powder. Also, as others have mentioned, the brush is rough and cheap.