December 19, 2014 | 1564 users online

Treatments (Face) - Prosacea

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2008 12:59:00 AM More reviews by Missy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This the only thing that helps make my skin look "normal". I suffer from mild adult acne and I've tried just about everything under the sun to help. Most acne medications do clear up pustular pimples, but they always leave me with milia, dark spots and severely inflamed skin as a result of the drying agents. Prosacea smooths the surface of my skin and relieves the redness. It doesn't help 100%, but it's the best thing I've found so far. I guess my skin just agrees with sulfur.

There is one thing (isn't there always? LOL). If I use this continuously, it seems to give me a couple of blackheads in the t-zone (a place I rarely break out). So although it really helps with the redness and irritation, I do have to put this away a couple days a week and use my trusty aspirin mask to keep this problem in check.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2008 2:49:00 AM More reviews by NancyC

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is the only product that helps my rosacea flares. My dermatologist prescribed MetroGel and Azelex, but they didn't work for me at all. I also take an antibiotic daily, but it doesn't keep the rosacea in check either. I bought Prosacea to try out of desperation, not expecting much, and the change in my skin was rapid and remarkable. The redness and bumpiness that I'd had for over a month straight nearly vanished overnight. If I stop using Prosacea for more than a day or two, my skin gets unhappy, but as long as I stick with it, things remain under control. You will need a good moisturizer with this (I use and love CeraVe lotion, one of the only moisturizers that really works for my sensitive, breakout-prone, oily but dehydrated skin). I apply Prosacea once a day after cleansing, allow it some time to sink in, and then moisturize. The rosacea isn't 100% gone, but it's about 90% better.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2008 8:03:00 PM More reviews by jmburock

I was diagnosed with rosacea by a dermatologist by biopsy 7 years ago. I've been on prescription antibiotics and creams until recently. Prosacea has allowed me to get off prescription antibiotic creams like MetroGel/ MetroCream/ etc. It works just as well if not better. It is more effective at reducing oilyness than the prescriptions are. It might be making my skin even more photosensitive though, because of the sulfur content. I wish It came in a larger tube size because I go through a tube almost every month at $10 a tube.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2008 1:41:00 PM More reviews by bmk4343

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is one of my favorite products. I've been using it for over a year and am on my 4th or 5th tube. I have ultra sensative, red skin - never diagnosed with Rosacea, but something is going on here! Anyway, my skin is sensative, oily and dry all at the same time. Prosacea has helped smooth it out - no more annoying red bumps popping up all the time. I has definitely improved the texture of my skin.

I tdoesn't do a lot for the redness, but it calms my skin so much. It also really helps control oil.

The smell of this product has never bothered me - I've never really smelled it, but I have a very weak sense of smell. My boyfriend noticed it once at the beginning, but I think he's gotten used to it because he's never mentioned it.

I use this morning and night, right after my cleanser. I let it sit for a couple minutes then follow with my moisturizer. I use it very sparingly - only a pea size amount - which is just as effective and makes it last a lot longer

rated 3 of 5 on 5/1/2008 10:01:00 PM More reviews by mo98103

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

i am on my second tube of this. i have oily dehydrated sensitive skin that is acne prone and easily inflamed and red. i do not think that i have rosacea, but this product also says that it can be used to treat acne.
this minimizes my blemishes and makes existing acne clear up faster (or never fully materialize). the flip side is that this is very drying, and if i use it only once a day i get a few small pimples, so i have to use it twice every day. i get pretty flaky around the mouth and nose, and even tough i am careful to not get the product near my eyes, my under eye area has started peeling.
the diminished breakouts and redness are worth the dryness for me, so i will continue to use this.
my one worry is that this will lose it's effectiveness on me just like nelson's acne gel (also a sulfur product). i also went through my first tube in a month or so, which makes this somewhat pricey.

Update:
Stopped working. Back to the derm-trying Aczone and Clenia.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/30/2008 8:14:00 PM More reviews by derekb15

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Love this stuff! I have rosacea. I don't get pustules, but have severly sensitive easily irritated skin. Everything burns and turns my face red. This stuff helps tame the redness. I use twice a day. I have dry skin so I use jojoba oil and complex 15 to moisturize and my dry skin is fine. I've seen better redness reduction with this vs. my prescriptions which i've given up.
Edit: Back to prescription meds, this seemed drying after awhile and my face was still really irriated. The Noritate a.m./ finacea p.m. combination seems to work best for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/18/2008 9:00:00 PM More reviews by eyeThink

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Fairly inexpensive and easily found at my local CVS drugstore, I just had to try this product as it contains sulfur which is great for treating acne. Sadly it really irritated my skin, perhaps due to the acrylates which I've read can be skin sensitizers for some.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2008 10:54:00 AM More reviews by cinexcess

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Who would have thought a $10 tube of a drug store product could make such a difference in my skin! I have tried everything to keep my skin from breaking out and I am amazed at how great my skin looks. Alpha Hydroxy Acids, Benzoyl Peroxide, Salicylic Acid, retinols - over the counter and prescription all are too irritating for my sensitive, borderline rosacea skin. I use this nightly instead of a moisturizer - I have oily skin and this works for me. In the beginning, I even used it in the morning and followed it with a moisturizer before my makeup application. If your skin is dryer, add your moisturizer afterwards. It's certainly worth a try and nice that you don't have to have a whole line of expensive products - just add this to your present regime and see what happens. I'm glad I did!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/5/2007 8:14:00 PM More reviews by cloud7

I would give this 10 lippies if I could. I've been using Prosacea for about 4 weeks now and haven't had one significant breakout in all that time. Some small red bumps have shown up but always disappear overnight. Sometimes I don't even wear this everyday but it still seems effective. My skincare routine is on my notepad, if you're interested in seeing that. This stuff is magic! Never had this kind of result with BHA, Differin, or Taz.... even tried a combo of BHA (AM) with a retinoid (PM) and never had results like this. I've also noticed that my face has less redness. Amazing! UPDATE: Well, around the 6 week mark, it is not as effective. Not sure if I've built up a tolerance to it or what. I've stopped using it... no new breakouts yet.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2007 7:09:00 PM More reviews by LiisUsa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Wow, I'm truly surprised by all the positive reviews but it goes to show how a product can be great for one, awful for another.

I have mild to medium rosacea that occasionally breaks out into pimples. My skin is always very sensitive and this summer the heat and high humidity upset it quite a bit and I saw this at my local CVS and figured it was worth a try. The info on the package lead me to believe it was safe for my type of skin.

In the evening I applied as directed and the sulfur smell it was so strong, it almost made me vomit . That smell never abated. I told myself if it worked, it was worth the awful smell.

Within 4-6 hours my entire face turned beet red and I felt as if my face was on fire. I immediately washed it off, which stung and burned terribly, and once I patted my face dry my face was very puffy and irritated. It was so painful I took some Advil to treat the inflammation.

Over the next two weeks my skin flaked and peeled on the areas where I had applied this. My derm. rec'd Elidel to help treat the adverse reaction.

So, for me this was really awful. The two weeks following the application were far worse than my average rosacea days. I have yet to learn exactly what irritated my skin so much, but please beware as it obviously has something in it that may make *some* of us reactive.