Prosacea

3.7

Active Ingredients: Sulphur 1x (Rosacea/Acne Treatment Gel) Inactive Ingredients: Acrylates, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Diazolidinyl Urea, Lactose, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Triethanolamine, Water

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I had such high hopes for this product. I have sensitive, acne prone skin with rosacea and thought this might be that one two punch I was looking for. I have to agree with one of the reviews on the first page. The smell was so disgusting and offensive that I too felt like I was going to be sick. It got worse as the night went on just like it did for the other reviewer and I began to get nauseated. They weren't kidding when people said to never let your face get wet while wearing this. OMG my face smelled like rotten eggs and death literally. It activated the sulphur and stunk so badly that I really thought I was going to vomit. I am desperate for a cure, but not that desperate! Holy Toledo! Seriously words are not adequate. I am sure this is a fabulous product if you are one of those Zicam users that lost your sense of smell!

In the few hours I was able to tolerate this on my skin, I noticed that it was already making a major impact on my acne (I could literally feel my blemishes drying up and healing). This would probably be a fabulous product if you could somehow tolerate the intense and nauseating scent that only grows stronger as the day wears on (I think this may have something to do with the oils in our skin). If they can take the stink out of Garlic for certain supplements, you would think they could somehow find a way to mask this incredibly obnoxious odor. If it were not for the rotten egg smell, I would probably love this product.

It is drying to skin so I use a thick moisturizer but it's the only over the counter treatment that has done anything to help my moderate rosacea. Using this product I have only a little bit of redness but no acne, bumps or anything else. After the first two weeks my face was really irritated and worse than ever but after that it was a miracle and it cleared up.

In a year when my acne flared up, and I developed contact dermatitis and broken capillaries, I discovered that--oh joy!--I have rosacea too. This was the only OTC option I saw in my local Rite-Aid, so I grabbed it. My results were mixed. It works very well on chronic red nose blotchiness, but not as well in random, less red blotches, or on rosacea bumps. Of course, I don't use it regularly, so maybe that's the problem. No drying, pleasant texture. Certainly worth a shot if you have rosacea. It's supposed to be good for acne, but I have my doubts. Also, it won't do a thing for broken capillaries, but then again, little will.

UPDATE: I began using this in a preventative way (every night) to decrease my acne. Broke me out, made rosacea worse. I doubt I will ever use again. If so, only a dab on a bump and that's it. BEWARE if you are allergic to sulfur. I had the same issue with DDF's Sulfur mask that everyone and their grandmother loves.

i'm very fortunate that this worked on my stubborn itchy acne. (for example my SD!!!!) much better than using bp or sa, IMO. also it's non comodegenic too which is great. one tiny flaw was the smell, didn't like it. but it can't replace the fact that it helped my acne which is a big plus to me

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This the only thing that helps make my skin look "normal". I suffer from mild adult acne and I've tried just about everything under the sun to help. Most acne medications do clear up pustular pimples, but they always leave me with milia, dark spots and severely inflamed skin as a result of the drying agents. Prosacea smooths the surface of my skin and relieves the redness. It doesn't help 100%, but it's the best thing I've found so far. I guess my skin just agrees with sulfur.

There is one thing (isn't there always? LOL). If I use this continuously, it seems to give me a couple of blackheads in the t-zone (a place I rarely break out). So although it really helps with the redness and irritation, I do have to put this away a couple days a week and use my trusty aspirin mask to keep this problem in check.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This is the only product that helps my rosacea flares. My dermatologist prescribed MetroGel and Azelex, but they didn't work for me at all. I also take an antibiotic daily, but it doesn't keep the rosacea in check either. I bought Prosacea to try out of desperation, not expecting much, and the change in my skin was rapid and remarkable. The redness and bumpiness that I'd had for over a month straight nearly vanished overnight. If I stop using Prosacea for more than a day or two, my skin gets unhappy, but as long as I stick with it, things remain under control. You will need a good moisturizer with this (I use and love CeraVe lotion, one of the only moisturizers that really works for my sensitive, breakout-prone, oily but dehydrated skin). I apply Prosacea once a day after cleansing, allow it some time to sink in, and then moisturize. The rosacea isn't 100% gone, but it's about 90% better.

I was diagnosed with rosacea by a dermatologist by biopsy 7 years ago. I've been on prescription antibiotics and creams until recently. Prosacea has allowed me to get off prescription antibiotic creams like MetroGel/ MetroCream/ etc. It works just as well if not better. It is more effective at reducing oilyness than the prescriptions are. It might be making my skin even more photosensitive though, because of the sulfur content. I wish It came in a larger tube size because I go through a tube almost every month at $10 a tube.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is one of my favorite products. I've been using it for over a year and am on my 4th or 5th tube. I have ultra sensative, red skin - never diagnosed with Rosacea, but something is going on here! Anyway, my skin is sensative, oily and dry all at the same time. Prosacea has helped smooth it out - no more annoying red bumps popping up all the time. I has definitely improved the texture of my skin.

I tdoesn't do a lot for the redness, but it calms my skin so much. It also really helps control oil.

The smell of this product has never bothered me - I've never really smelled it, but I have a very weak sense of smell. My boyfriend noticed it once at the beginning, but I think he's gotten used to it because he's never mentioned it.

I use this morning and night, right after my cleanser. I let it sit for a couple minutes then follow with my moisturizer. I use it very sparingly - only a pea size amount - which is just as effective and makes it last a lot longer

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

i am on my second tube of this. i have oily dehydrated sensitive skin that is acne prone and easily inflamed and red. i do not think that i have rosacea, but this product also says that it can be used to treat acne.
this minimizes my blemishes and makes existing acne clear up faster (or never fully materialize). the flip side is that this is very drying, and if i use it only once a day i get a few small pimples, so i have to use it twice every day. i get pretty flaky around the mouth and nose, and even tough i am careful to not get the product near my eyes, my under eye area has started peeling.
the diminished breakouts and redness are worth the dryness for me, so i will continue to use this.
my one worry is that this will lose it's effectiveness on me just like nelson's acne gel (also a sulfur product). i also went through my first tube in a month or so, which makes this somewhat pricey.

Update:
Stopped working. Back to the derm-trying Aczone and Clenia.

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure

Love this stuff! I have rosacea. I don't get pustules, but have severly sensitive easily irritated skin. Everything burns and turns my face red. This stuff helps tame the redness. I use twice a day. I have dry skin so I use jojoba oil and complex 15 to moisturize and my dry skin is fine. I've seen better redness reduction with this vs. my prescriptions which i've given up.
Edit: Back to prescription meds, this seemed drying after awhile and my face was still really irriated. The Noritate a.m./ finacea p.m. combination seems to work best for me.