April 16, 2014 | 831 users online

Treatments - Evening primrose oil

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2010 6:00:00 AM More reviews by TheReviewLady

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I tried taking this to treat my PMS symptoms because I'm getting older, have lighter periods, and generally have more homicidal tendencies (not *really*) and breakouts the week before getting my period -- as I write this, I'm 33. Also, having already tried birth control pills for hormone regulation, and having been through surgery twice in three years for breast cancer diagnosis, I decided to try something more...eh... "natural". I already take omega 3 fish oils and like the effects very much, and despite some reports that omega 6 causes acne for some people, I decided to give evening primrose oil capsules a try. I took it for a week and broke out all over my lower cheeks, jaw, hairline, and back. Of course, this did nothing to alleviate my moodiness. If I had taken the capsules for a few months to give them time to actually work on my mood (assuming they do), I may have turned into a walking skin cautionary tale. I remember taking evening primrose oil during my teens and breaking out horribly too... so maybe nothing has changed, much... or maybe my PMS went away in my late 20s and came back like a ghost from my adolescence in my mid 30s, which means I changed and then quicky changed back! Meh.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2010 6:24:00 PM More reviews by NatanYah

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought a bottle of this a while ago for PMS issues. It did nothing to help. I think a bottle of ibuprofen taken a few days before (as soon as you start to experience symptoms) is more effective, along with staying away from caffeine.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2010 12:34:00 AM More reviews by illeyad

I have been using Evening Primrose Oil for over 6 months now. My skin has been through every acne treatment, including Acutane, on the market (only gave me temporary relief of acne). My skin was thinned out from the Acutnae side effects, the ice cold winter where I live has weakened my skin, and all the terribly designed acne cleanser I have tried have all but dried out my skin and damaged it. After revamping my skin care switching to sensitive skin based products I saw an immediate change. But I wanted to treat myself not only on the outside, but the inside as well.

I picked up EPO as a treatment for my temperamental acne prone skin because it is known to be very soothing, plumps skin up, reduces acne, reduces nearly eliminating cramps from PMS, it is even know to cure many ailments. It is supported my numerous independent studies as being perfectly safe, very few side effects accompany EPO, often times user will not likely experience them. Such side effects can be bloating or digestive related, but are rare. I myself, thankfully have experienced nothing but the positive effects of EPO.

PROS: (1) I used to suffer from sever cramps during PMS that would have me in bed or kneeling over a toilet sick. This has reduced my cramps that would last anywhere between 24-48hours to a mere 3-4 hours of moderate bearable cramps. (2) definitely reduced the inflammation from my acne, in combination with Blue LED light therapy (Tanda System) my acne has almost all but clear. (2) skin texture is smoother, pores refined, almost all minimal lines have been reduced to nothing.

Cons: none

BRAND: Flora. Efamol Pure Evening Primrose Oil.
INGREDIENTS: Efanol Evening Primrose Oil- 1000mgs
Linoleic Acid (LA)- 700mgs
Gamma-Linoleic Acid- 120g (12%)
Vitamin E- 272IU

DOSAGE: I take 1 every morning in combination with other supplements to keep my skin look better. I also use Zink and Cod Liver Oil plus a multi. A few days before my monthly cycle I take 2- 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening to ensure I don't have to go through tough cramps. I do this for about 5 days then resume single dose. By the way, I started using Cod liver oil and zink about 3 months after starting EPO, so I know it's the EPO giving me the great results, the other two have bolstered and strengthened them.
Happy Shopping :)

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2009 4:57:00 PM More reviews by FunkPunky

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love evening primrose oil! My coworker kept telling me for months to take it for the soreness in my chest and cramps that always accompany my period. So finally I tried some of hers, and they completely went away! I use it every time my chest starts hurting again, and I never notice these symtoms anymore! What a miricle! I am totally against using any form of drug unless I am very sick, so I am so happy to know that there is a natural solution!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/16/2009 2:19:00 PM More reviews by tempescape

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Black

I loved how this worked just like fish oil capsues to calm my PMT until I discovered that this was also making me put on weight. I don't know why but once I stopped using it I went back to normal. I switched back to fish oil again which doesn't give you those side effects. So belly fat or fish breath - the choice is yours...

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2009 5:02:00 PM More reviews by Girlygal721

thriven and the secret supplement saved my hair. i sleep with it 1-2x a week and receive compliments on my hair constantly. i have never had a problem with shipping or customer service -- kc is very dedicated and considerate and takes a lot of care when packaging items for shipment. you can't lose! it's well worth the $$!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2009 2:37:00 AM More reviews by cowgurl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

GLA in the form of Primrose or Borage works best when taken with Lecithin. Also, small doses of Selenium help to protect the oils as they work their way through the body (you may get enough Selenium for your diet and I think this is something you should consider, but definitely it's safe and important to take the Lecithin with the GLA). You must also take these oils with meals, preferably with fats -- and you may want to take a fish oil (or a good 3-6-9- combo) with it - for proper absorption. Good information is available on the web.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2009 4:26:00 PM More reviews by platinumD

I have been taking this for about 3 weeks internally. And I have since noticed that I have not had one break out, I usually get atleast one or two cystic pimples around my chin or cheek. I have also noticed my scars on my face have diminished significantly. My skin is super soft and the tone has evened out quite a bit. I have also been using Clinique's dramatically different moisturizing gel but I am pretty sure that they are both contributing to my better skin!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2008 3:35:00 PM More reviews by aebernero23

I use this as a lip and undereye treatment. I am 29 years old and I don't even have the hint of a line around my eyes. Everyone swears that I look 18 and I am certain that using this under my eyes morning and night has been a major contributor to my luck (and good genes)!!! In the winter I layer this under a dab of my AnnMarie Borlind Eye Cream (I am like the Sahara in the winter). It also helps my undereye concealor work better as it prevents it from caking and drying up. I recommend getting a bottle of this stuff. It comes in capsules that you have to puncture to get the oil out -- but it's sooooooo worth it.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2008 2:10:00 PM More reviews by jamesonboo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using this topically for about a year now. It is an excellent natural and cheap alternative to the pricey , over hyped anti aging products out there. Packed with omega 6 fatty acids, It is nourishing and super moisturizing and does not clog my pores or cause acne(unlike jojoba oil). It leaves a radiant glow , softens acne marks, and plumps up the skin. I use 1/2 a capusle at night , over my copper peptide serum. Gently rub it in, and put the other 1/2 on my feet and hands. Use more when skin is drier .

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No