October 22, 2014 | 1053 users online

Treatments (Face) - Evening primrose oil

rated 4 of 5 on 3/2/2012 1:50:00 AM More reviews by Jillydearest

This product literally saved my face! I had been getting horrible acne that was hormonal (but didn't only happen around my period- my hormones were so out of whack); I heard this helps so I bought some and yes it does! I apply it topically and had been taking it orally for about a month, but when I realized this didn't help with other PMS symptoms like cramps I stopped. I rarely get any cystic acne like I used to from my hormones so I know this is helping. I only get a few breakouts around my period now. It's a bit expensive but definitely worth it for me. I buy this brand called Barlean's that can be found at health stores & probably Whole Foods.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2012 3:15:00 PM More reviews by Inlightofitall

I've been using EPO for over a year due to horrible menstrual cramps (all my life) and a new condition that included cystic pimples on my back, horrible fatigue right before my period and visible bloating that would cause me to wear losely fitted clothing for several days. The acne was horrible, huge, itchy and worse of all...I couldn't reach it because it was on my back. I began using the capsules as a lotion by puncturring them and applying it after I bathed all over my body. I did not put it on my back because It's Inaccessible but I didn't have to apply it directly to notice the results. The pimples were diminishing, the fatigue went away immediately, my bloating (looked like muffin top) went away and my cramps got sooooo much better. I told my doctor and he said is was regulating my estrogen levels but naturally. The birth control pill is suppose to be a form of estrogen control but it's engineered whereas EPO is natural (Proestrogen). A bonus is the way my overal skin feels, soft and luminous. I am extremely happy those huge cystic pimple on my back went away and now a year later I have NONE. I knew it was hormonal and I did not want to take birth control because of the side effects. I told everyone at work about this miracle oil. And as I read other posts, I will begin to apply it to my hair. Taking the pill orally helped the cramps and the pimples, but applying it directly to the skin does more wonders on me. So as a result of taking it:
-No more backne (back acne)
-No more horrible premenstrual fatigue
-No more visible bloating (bye, bye muffin top)
-No more hourly long cringging menstrual cramps that turned me into a basketcase and made me cry.
Hello.....I'm using this oil forever!!!

I hope this helps some poor soul out there trying to find a cure for her ailments.

27 out of 27 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2011 3:24:00 AM More reviews by Luminesque

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Recently after a breakout from a horrible sunscreen I used a balancing gel that helped so much that it dried my cheeks to a rather nasty flakey texture...uh oh! Out of desperation (no rosehip oil left) I decided to split a capsule of Evening primrose oil to apply topically to my face and have continued to do so nightly for the last few months. I only use a half a capsules worth on my face after cleansing and rub the remainder of the oil into the skin around my elbows. What I have found is that not only is the oil extremely nourishing and easily absorbed but it leaves my skin silky smooth and glowing the next morning. The extra bonus is I am noticing my skin is looking plump and some of the more pronounced smile lines are shrinking ever so slightly. The oil does not break my skin out or congest my skin and is so reasonably priced! I pay AUD$19.95 for 400 capsules, originally purchased for balancing pmt symptoms...double happiness! I suggest giving it a go, I am loving it!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2011 4:24:00 AM More reviews by plsthink2ice

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ok, Now I am reviewing using EPO as a topical treatment for skin and hair,
I buy it in capsule form, each capsule has 1000 mg unit .. I use one like 3 times a week.. I put it underneath and around my eyes as well as mouth , only need have then I use the rest for the ends of my hair as a hair serum.

Results : it is THE BEST Moisturizer there is for skin and hair. I cannot begin to describe the effects on my hair , I have oily roots and dry ends , no serum or conditioner gave me this result before.. The oil heals my hair without weighing it down as if I put on some magical natural potion on it.. I think it is like actually putting sebum on the ends it so resembles body fat , that your living cells accepts it so readily.. the shine and sheen it gives to hair is unmatchable also .. I have started this routine with my hair and my hair is thanking me for it , i message lavander and castor oil at roots and leave overnight ( friday night) so next day is weekend , and i message on ends two capsules of EPO at the same time , when i wash my hair next morning , the shine, smell, strength and managebility is out of this world.

Now for the skin: It brightens and plumps skin, effects are not always the same , i think it depends on how moisturized your skin is to start off.. It does sooth the skin and does not clog pores , you only need half a capsule , more than this would be too much for your face , the rest you can use on your elbows, hands , feets or on your hair ends if you have dry , split ends like I do..

I have tried skin capsules that irritated me , were more expensive and caused me acne.. this is a great moisturizer and i believe with time it diminishes wrinkles and lightens age spots however, I only started using them for 10 days now I can't be the judge of that. will log on for updates in the future with god's willing.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/21/2010 7:40:00 PM More reviews by glendonwyne

I'm not sure how to rate this - I guess it depends on what you want out of it.

What I did: I started taking 500mg 2-3x/day with meals. I'm using Nutraceutical Sciences 500mg softgels with GLA. I've taken it about 2.5-3 months.

Why: My hope was that it would help with the hormonal acne along my jaw/neck.

Result: It didn't help my acne at all. What it *did* do - instantly - was eliminate the bust soreness I get right before/during my TOM. It also made my periods shorter/lighter and decreased my cramps. Curiously, though it helped relieve all of my physical symptoms except my acne, it seemed to worsen my usual PMS-y emotional issues.

Conclusion: While I was pleasantly surprised by the physical benefits I don't think I'll buy it again since a) I'm mainly concerned with fixing my acne and b) I'll take some physical discomfort over emotional discomfort. However, if you're having super heavy periods/cramps/bust soreness, I would give it a try. Be aware, though, that it affects everyone differently since everyone has different balances of hormones, so it might not work for you.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2010 6:00:00 AM More reviews by TheReviewLady

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I tried taking this to treat my PMS symptoms because I'm getting older, have lighter periods, and generally have more homicidal tendencies (not *really*) and breakouts the week before getting my period -- as I write this, I'm 33. Also, having already tried birth control pills for hormone regulation, and having been through surgery twice in three years for breast cancer diagnosis, I decided to try something more...eh... "natural". I already take omega 3 fish oils and like the effects very much, and despite some reports that omega 6 causes acne for some people, I decided to give evening primrose oil capsules a try. I took it for a week and broke out all over my lower cheeks, jaw, hairline, and back. Of course, this did nothing to alleviate my moodiness. If I had taken the capsules for a few months to give them time to actually work on my mood (assuming they do), I may have turned into a walking skin cautionary tale. I remember taking evening primrose oil during my teens and breaking out horribly too... so maybe nothing has changed, much... or maybe my PMS went away in my late 20s and came back like a ghost from my adolescence in my mid 30s, which means I changed and then quicky changed back! Meh.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2010 6:24:00 PM More reviews by NatanYah

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought a bottle of this a while ago for PMS issues. It did nothing to help. I think a bottle of ibuprofen taken a few days before (as soon as you start to experience symptoms) is more effective, along with staying away from caffeine.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2010 12:34:00 AM More reviews by illeyad

I have been using Evening Primrose Oil for over 6 months now. My skin has been through every acne treatment, including Acutane, on the market (only gave me temporary relief of acne). My skin was thinned out from the Acutnae side effects, the ice cold winter where I live has weakened my skin, and all the terribly designed acne cleanser I have tried have all but dried out my skin and damaged it. After revamping my skin care switching to sensitive skin based products I saw an immediate change. But I wanted to treat myself not only on the outside, but the inside as well.

I picked up EPO as a treatment for my temperamental acne prone skin because it is known to be very soothing, plumps skin up, reduces acne, reduces nearly eliminating cramps from PMS, it is even know to cure many ailments. It is supported my numerous independent studies as being perfectly safe, very few side effects accompany EPO, often times user will not likely experience them. Such side effects can be bloating or digestive related, but are rare. I myself, thankfully have experienced nothing but the positive effects of EPO.

PROS: (1) I used to suffer from sever cramps during PMS that would have me in bed or kneeling over a toilet sick. This has reduced my cramps that would last anywhere between 24-48hours to a mere 3-4 hours of moderate bearable cramps. (2) definitely reduced the inflammation from my acne, in combination with Blue LED light therapy (Tanda System) my acne has almost all but clear. (2) skin texture is smoother, pores refined, almost all minimal lines have been reduced to nothing.

Cons: none

BRAND: Flora. Efamol Pure Evening Primrose Oil.
INGREDIENTS: Efanol Evening Primrose Oil- 1000mgs
Linoleic Acid (LA)- 700mgs
Gamma-Linoleic Acid- 120g (12%)
Vitamin E- 272IU

DOSAGE: I take 1 every morning in combination with other supplements to keep my skin look better. I also use Zink and Cod Liver Oil plus a multi. A few days before my monthly cycle I take 2- 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening to ensure I don't have to go through tough cramps. I do this for about 5 days then resume single dose. By the way, I started using Cod liver oil and zink about 3 months after starting EPO, so I know it's the EPO giving me the great results, the other two have bolstered and strengthened them.
Happy Shopping :)

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2009 4:57:00 PM More reviews by FunkPunky

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love evening primrose oil! My coworker kept telling me for months to take it for the soreness in my chest and cramps that always accompany my period. So finally I tried some of hers, and they completely went away! I use it every time my chest starts hurting again, and I never notice these symtoms anymore! What a miricle! I am totally against using any form of drug unless I am very sick, so I am so happy to know that there is a natural solution!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/16/2009 2:19:00 PM More reviews by tempescape

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Black

I loved how this worked just like fish oil capsues to calm my PMT until I discovered that this was also making me put on weight. I don't know why but once I stopped using it I went back to normal. I switched back to fish oil again which doesn't give you those side effects. So belly fat or fish breath - the choice is yours...