Kanebo KATE Gel Eye Liner

4.2

on 5/5/2010 10:46:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This is the absolute HG in gel eyeliners. It's cheap, it comes with a brush, and all for SGD 25!!! I bought this in black 2 days ago, and I am LOVING this gel eyeliner like I have never loved any other gel eyeliner. It stays on regardless of how much I tear (from yawning, which I do a lot of haha) or how much I sweat! Today it's lasted me 10h and counting without touchup or smudging!! And mind you, I live in a country that's practically sitting on the equator (read: REALLY hot and humid!).
Single-lidded Asians, this product was MADE for you. Whereas MAC and Bobbi Brown both come off on the bottom part of the top lid where it folds over and out of sight, this one STAYS ON. It would probably stay on in a typhoon.
The brush that it comes with is ten times better than my MAC and Bobbi Brown eyeliner brushes (yes even the award winning Ultra Fine one), and if I ever lost the brush, I would buy this product again JUST for it. It's the BEST.
Previous brands of gel eyeliner tried: MAC Fluidline, Bobbi Brown.
P.S.: I note that some users have commented that the silver and gold versions of this aren't good, but the saleslady explained to me that those colours are not meant to be eyeliners per se - it's for you to mix with your black or brown eyeliners before application as you please, or to go over a line already drawn for a gold/silver shimmery highlight. :)

on 3/20/2010 9:02:00 PM

By the sounds of it, most people here are reviewing black and brown (dark shades at least), I haven't tried those so can't comment here. This is a review for gold (GD-1).

A friend let me this to try so I can foray into the world of gel eyeliner... hmmm, not a good first impression! Very glittery and I can't get a smooth line out of it. We have agreed that it is the problem with the formula - it really is glitter mania, you're probably better to use this as eyeshadow, albeit a rather bling one, I'm a bit old for it... (I have since tried other gels and I think this is just a bad one off...)

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have around 5 japan drugstore gel liner, and I can say kate is just average. It smudges a little for the day, best if you intended for smoky eyes. The gel is very easy to dry, when it is dry, it becomes harder to use. The texture is matte, useful for drawing a thicker line. Overall very average.

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

I LOVE THIS PRODUCT!

I am still a newbie with eyeliner. Pencil eyeliner works well, but I haven't really found a creamy one. Liquid eyeliner just makes my eye twitch when I apply. I tried Stila Smudge Pot, but it was difficult to apply. I found it troublesome and difficult to apply eyeliner, hence wasn't inclined to use any liner for that matter.

That is until I tried Kate Gel Liner. Bought it on impulse in Japan, based on the rave reviews on how easy it was easy to apply. And I wasn't disappointed! My first application was so easy and it took me just 5 seconds to apply a perfect line! No joke! I was amazed!

The brush which came with the Liner was perfect too. Perviously I tried with an angled eyeliner brush and the effect wasn't too impressive, but once I tried with this brush, I was sold. The brush makes a big difference to the ease of application! Like one of the other viewers, I would consider buying the product just for the brush alone. Though I love the product too. Heh.

Bottom Line, totally worth every single buck spent on it! :)

on 11/28/2009 1:40:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I have used several mainstream gel eyeliners: Bobby Brown, Stila, Mac, L'Oreal (HiP) and this gives me the best POP. I was satisfied with the Mac Fluidline in Blacktrack for a while but I noticed in pictures that it showed up pretty light. I searched for a more pigmented black gel eyeliner and I bought it from eBay for around $15. I LOVE this eyeliner! I have black hair so this definitely makes my eyes pop. The brush that comes with it is okay but I use my 208 brush with it. LOVES it.

on 11/16/2009 8:25:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I got this in the color BR-1, a dark brown shade with non-chunky gold glitter and it is gorgeous. As a powder gel liner, it is only semi-water proof. It cannot withstand water and rubbing at the same time and causes it to smear.
I gave this a 3 because the brush was great - not too flimsy or too stiff, comes with a cap too so you can just throw it into your makeup bag. The liner was slightly hardly than the BB gel liner and much hardly than the mac fluidlines. While this is easy to apply, I prefer to wet my brush with some water because it makes it creamier.

My problem with this prevents me from using this ever again. First of all, I am a contact lens wearer with fairly sensitive eyes. I used this liner to tightline my upper lashline and about half an hr later, i felt like something was irritating my eyes. I took my contacts off to find that the liner had migrated ONTO my contacts! There were brown smudges on the contacts and the liner made my eyes itchy, red and watery which made the liner fade.

So basically, this liner got onto my contacts, made them itch and water and faded.
Will not repurchase.

on 11/16/2009 7:23:00 AM

Seriously, I am a newbie in makeup and i had try pencil, liquid, autopen, and gel eyeliner..of course, pencil eyeliner are the easiest to go on but it just won't last, liquid eyeliner took me at least half an hour to do it perfectly. I could say that my hands are quite stable but it still takes me half an hour to get it done!! I bought Kate powder gel eyeliner after looking through soo many reviews and made my decision finally. And i am really impressed by it!! it took me less than 2 secs to do a perfect line!!! with just one sweep and i am done!! As for the staying power, it made my day. I have oily lids and it stayed. It stayed!! Which is kind of miracle to me..no smudging, just a perfect line on my lids. And the effect was better than liquid eyeliner as it brings out a more natural effect on your eyes. I was actually swaying between maybelline and kate, b.brown and shu uemura was out of my price range, as this is my first gel eyeliner, want to try the effect first. I wasn't that confident in Maybelline. So i went for kate instead. Glad I did! The brush that comes along was supple!! and did a great job. Not too soft, just great!! Give this a try!!

additional: it does smudge when i tried the winged look...

Easy to apply. Just enough softness and sharpness to define your eyes. Doesn't smudge. Affordable. Amazing!

on 9/7/2009 9:10:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I LOVE THIS EYELINER! I absoutely adore it.

I bought this in Japan in the navy blue and forest green. They both have shimmer. Oddly, every drug store I've been to does not have samples for this product on display.
Anyway, I have used L'Oreals Lineur Intense liquid eyeliner for several years now and although I love that eyeliner, I'm too scared to use it for my bottom lashes, especially since I have small eyes. Pencil liners never stay on my top or bottom lashes, so I decided to try this gel eyeliner. It stays on literally the entire day. It might fade just the tiniest bit, but it does not smudge.

It's super easy to apply, the brush is amazing--not too stiff and not too soft, the colors are beautiful, the shimmer in the navy blue and forest green is NOT glittery [just a slight shimmer] which I like, the packaging overall is easy to use and looks nice, it's pretty cheap, etc etc.

Don't hesitate to buy this if you're online shopping. You can't find samples of it anyway in the stores. You will not regret it! I have never raved so much about a product before. :P

Kanebo is having a 20% off all products campaign right now, so I bought both for 1260 yen. About $13 USD.

on 8/28/2009 6:17:00 AM