Philips Sonicare Toothbrush

4.7

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

UPDATE: switched to the Healthy White version and I like the handle/brush heads much better - easier to keep clean.
Previously, we had used the Oral B which is more of a rotary action. Before menopause, that worked well for me, getting around all my teeth, especially the insides of the lowers and uppers. Now that I've gone through menopause, my gums and skin in general are more sensitive. I have to work harder at maintaining oral hygiene. I had given up on the oscillating Oral B and then after my last cleaning, got a $15 rebate coupon and waited for a sale on the Sonicare e5300. I picked it up at Walgreens for $45 and after rebate, $30 which is a steal. The package had only one brushead in it. The two replacements heads in the refill pak cost $25, but I feel it's a worthwhile investment to buy the heads when needed.
At first this tickled the roof of my mouth and splattered a fair amount of toothpaste. Once you get used to controlling the handle and whereabouts of the brushhead, it is less messy. Also, be careful not to bump your teeth with the handle which does vibrate quite a bit. The nice thing, is it seems a bit kinder to my gums - without the grinding sensation of the older Oral B.
To be fair - the Oral B now has a sonic version called the Pulsonic with similar technology, so that can be an option as well. The only things I would change about the Sonicare is to have a small, round brush style like the Oral B has on their regular electric toothbrush. For people with a smaller mouth, it would be easier to clean around the inside arches. Also, the handle needs to be rinsed out on the Essence model and it is a thick handle which can be a bit awkward to hold.
All in all, I'm extremely satisfied with the level of cleaning this gadget does - and it would make a wonderful gift as well.
NOTE: there is a child's version too.
And - last but not least... you still need to floss! If you want to prove it to yourself, brush, use mouthwash, thenfloss ...you'll see debris - so that's why flossing is really important.

I suffered such bad periodontal disease, I had to have my own blood stem-cells recreated to reform my upper and lower jaws. Sometimes this disease occurs due to poor hygiene, sometimes from bad genes. In my case, it was the latter. However, there is hope!

Sonicare is a MUST for anyone, any time, any age. I am now on my third Sonicare incarnation and, just when I thought it couldn't get any better, Philips (the maker) comes out with a "Professional Care Kit" which contains a UV sanitizing case (holds two brush heads), three brush heads, two charging ports, two power stems, and a new brush called HydroClean, which pushes cleansing products and materials between teeth and gently below the gum-line, acting as a type of flossing mechanism. It has a quad timing feature, letting you know every 30 seconds when to move to a different section of the mouth. Another fabulous feature offers three different power settings: Clean, Sensitive, Clean & White (gives an additional 30 seconds for whitening visible front sections.)

And it feels FABULOUS, during and **after** cleansing.

Watch for Costco coupons and you can snag one of these sets for $110 or less... And worth every penny. Unless, of course, you're inclined to pay $11,000+ for jaw reconstruction and/or watch your jaw and the remaining bones in your face disintegrate.

This is my HG aside from my tweezers. LOL! I can't say enough positive things about this toothbrush. Seriously, it is like a professional hygienist cleaning every day. Matter of fact, I had my 6 month check today and she was done in 15 minutes whereas before it would take me about 45 minutes to clean out out all the tartar, etc. in the visit. It is worth every penny as a price of prevention of periodontal disease and gingivitis long term. Usually Kohls will have good sales or Walgreens might have discounts. We got some refill heads at Costco for CHEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAP! Anyway, this thing rocks.

I am the kind of person that has plaque issues... No matter how much I brush or floss, I'm always going to get a report from the dentist about how much plaque is on my teeth. I even had a dentist say "I've never seen anyone have plaque on the surface of the teeth, normally it's just in between the teeth!" Gee thanks! haha But I have always taken good care of my teeth. I've been told I'm just more suseptable to plaque (something about the chemistry in my saliva). So ANYWAY, my dentist told me that this was, in his opinion, the best toothbrush on the market and works really well. I got two of them for $120 at Sam's Club, which seems to be a good deal. So, after one use, I could totally not feel any plaque on me teeth! I've used it 4-5 times, and my teeth DO look and feel like I just had a dental cleaning. It even feels as if it does clean in between the teeth. I use the full 2 minute timer, and my teeth look great and I believe they are already a little whiter (I normally get compliments on how white my teeth are anyway). So I am sticking with my sonicare, just hate that it is so expensive. One thing that took me off guard is the vibration of this thing, it literally is like some sort of sonic vibration. It tickled the first time I used it, but now I'm totally used to it. Love it!

I used Oral B electrics for several years, but switched to the Philips Flexcare Plus 2 months ago on advice of my dentist. I'll never go back to Oral B. This is far superior in terms of cleaning and whitening. I got the one with the UV sanitation light (who knows if that really works, but I use it anyway) and the 2 brush units on sale and with a coupon at Costco and it only cost me about $100. It took me a while to get used to the sonic part (I hate that high pitched noise), but my teeth feel like I just had a dentist cleaning (so clean and smooth), and they've never been whiter. Forget all the whitening stuff, just invest in this toothbrush.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I have one of the older models that I bought on Ebay 5 or so years ago - my husband and I each bought one with a single charger. His lasted about a year and then died. Mine is still working. I use it about 3-4 times a week and don't more often just out of laziness -ha. Despite the expense, I recommend this toothbrush to everyone and if I had small children I would make sure that they used one regularly. Sonicare is the best way to get your teeth dentist-clean -- you know the feeling, when you run your tongue along your teeth and they feel smooth? Dentist-clean. All of the dentists and hygenists I have talked to all recommend the Sonicare.

The disadvantages are that the inside of it does get icky, gross and moldy if not cleaned regularly. Recently, I started to take mine apart after every use to rinse and air it out to prevent this. (The head screws apart from the battery base.) Fully charged and used 2x daily, this will last about 2 weeks. And the replacement heads aren't cheap - I get them at Walmart or Costco and I don't replace them nearly as often as they recommend. It works much better than the standard toothbrush well beyond the 3 month suggested replacement and, of course, the company is going to recommend you replace them often since they make more money that way. (I don't replace my windsheild wipers every 6 months as suggested either.)

Overall, this toothbrush is well worth the price and if mine every stops working, I will be buying another one. I would love it if they made a smaller size for travel or to take with me to the office.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

this is the best cleaning electric toothbrush i've ever owned.
i have the sonicare elite 7300. i purchased it back in 2003 or 2004 - which means its passed a good test of time. it's quite a financial investment, including the replacement heads, but i think its definitely worth it. i change the brush head about every 6 months, as recommended, and only have to recharge the battery every 2 weeks (give or take). it cleans my teeth so well that i get that "just from the dentist feel" every time - it's SO cliche, but SO TRUE! i had the startings of bad gingivitis when i was in college and was recommended to get an electric toothbrush by my dentist. since using it, my gingivitis is gone and my teeth are smoother and whiter.

just be careful to not use too much pressure when holding the toothbrush to your teeth. if you press to hard, you don't get a good clean and it can irritate your gums.

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

As an electric toothbrush, this is awesome, BUT (and this is a BIG BUT), I have already purchased 3 sonicare toothbrushes for the past 5 years. The first year worked great but after about 18 months of use, the toothbrush just died on me. It no longer works. It happened again yesterday when it just died completely overnight, while the previous one died slowly. I suspect that it is the battery, but the warranty was only for one year, so I'd never bothered to have it fixed. I thought it was me who damaged it. After buying 3 of them, I concluded that the toothbrush just lasted for about 1 year to a year and a half MAX. I tried to be a loyal user, but the performance really disappointed me.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I've had a Sonicare Elite toothbrush for probably about four years now. It is incredibly impressive- it works very well, has two vibration strengths (99% of the time I use the more gentle one), and the heads are replaceable. The (on the small side but soft) heads even come with different colors on a ring around the neck of the brush so you can tell whose brush you're picking up. I try and make my brush head last as long as possible, but I have a chronic problem with pressing too hard when I brush. The Sonicare makes it a little more difficult to do that because it's vibrating while I'm brushing. When the bristles on the brush start to turn outward, I replace the head (mine screws off and the replacement screws on- it's that easy) instead of just waiting the six months that's recommended on the replacement head package. You might want to unscrew and check under the head every month or two in case there's toothpaste residue underneath it that needs to be cleaned up.

I like that my Sonicare audibly lets me know every thirty seconds to move to a different quarter of my mouth, and I like that it turns off after two minutes. This is a great tool to use to make sure you're brushing your teeth for long enough. You can tell how much power you have left with a bar (made up of smaller bars) on the side- when it's down to one small bar, or that one bar is blinking, it's about time to recharge the Sonicare. Recharging my Sonicare is easy. It comes with a small base that you just plug in, then put the Sonicare in the cradle. Green lights make their way up the little bars on the power bar, showing that it's recharging. When it's done, the bars will all be solid.

We bought our set of two Sonicare Elites at Costco for a good price, and they occasionally have a three-pack of replacement heads at a great price, too. If you don't see them one week, just wait a week or two and they'll be back. The big plus to buying a Sonicare or Sonicare set at any store with a good refund policy is that you can bring it back if it doesn't work for you. But you really should have a toothbrush, right? Just don't press too hard on your teeth and I can't imagine why someone wouldn't like this brush (though perhaps the vibrating might be a turn-off.) You do have to commit to brushing your teeth each night, but it doesn't have to be for two minutes. Just use it until your teeth feel clean, then shut it off if you want.

As far as cost goes, it may be a bit of an upfront big initial cost for a toothbrush. But this toothbrush will save you time, pain, and energy spent worrying at the dentist. If you hate spending time in a dentist's chair, enduring lots of tooth scraping and gum cleaning that turns bloody (sorry to get graphic), you need to get this toothbrush. I have incredibly awful gums to the point of having had a gum transplant. My Sonicare not only encourages me to brush with less force, but it also gets and keeps my teeth more clean. This means less poking and prodding at my gums and less of that hook, scraping away at my teeth. The upfront cost of this toothbrush paid for itself the first (much less painful) trip to the dentist I made. Even though I should floss more than once a month, I've actually gotten very positive comments from dentists and dental hygienists about the state of my mouth. It is not because I take meticulous care of my teeth, or because of the toothpaste I use- it is entirely 100% because I use a Sonicare toothbrush. I could not be happier with it. If this toothbrush ever dies on me, you can bet I'm running straight to Costco within the week to replace it with no second thoughts. continued >>

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

100% PERFECT toothbrush!! I purchased mine from my dentist a few months ago. My teeth feel so clean and refreshed everytime I use it. This was the best investment I ever made!

Popular Other Products