December 20, 2014 | 1187 users online

Other - Philips Sonicare Toothbrush

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2009 2:44:00 PM More reviews by SaraLee2

I used Oral B electrics for several years, but switched to the Philips Flexcare Plus 2 months ago on advice of my dentist. I'll never go back to Oral B. This is far superior in terms of cleaning and whitening. I got the one with the UV sanitation light (who knows if that really works, but I use it anyway) and the 2 brush units on sale and with a coupon at Costco and it only cost me about $100. It took me a while to get used to the sonic part (I hate that high pitched noise), but my teeth feel like I just had a dentist cleaning (so clean and smooth), and they've never been whiter. Forget all the whitening stuff, just invest in this toothbrush.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2009 1:37:00 PM More reviews by ylrebmik7

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

I have one of the older models that I bought on Ebay 5 or so years ago - my husband and I each bought one with a single charger. His lasted about a year and then died. Mine is still working. I use it about 3-4 times a week and don't more often just out of laziness -ha. Despite the expense, I recommend this toothbrush to everyone and if I had small children I would make sure that they used one regularly. Sonicare is the best way to get your teeth dentist-clean -- you know the feeling, when you run your tongue along your teeth and they feel smooth? Dentist-clean. All of the dentists and hygenists I have talked to all recommend the Sonicare.

The disadvantages are that the inside of it does get icky, gross and moldy if not cleaned regularly. Recently, I started to take mine apart after every use to rinse and air it out to prevent this. (The head screws apart from the battery base.) Fully charged and used 2x daily, this will last about 2 weeks. And the replacement heads aren't cheap - I get them at Walmart or Costco and I don't replace them nearly as often as they recommend. It works much better than the standard toothbrush well beyond the 3 month suggested replacement and, of course, the company is going to recommend you replace them often since they make more money that way. (I don't replace my windsheild wipers every 6 months as suggested either.)

Overall, this toothbrush is well worth the price and if mine every stops working, I will be buying another one. I would love it if they made a smaller size for travel or to take with me to the office.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2008 7:34:00 PM More reviews by judeandam

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this is the best cleaning electric toothbrush i've ever owned.
i have the sonicare elite 7300. i purchased it back in 2003 or 2004 - which means its passed a good test of time. it's quite a financial investment, including the replacement heads, but i think its definitely worth it. i change the brush head about every 6 months, as recommended, and only have to recharge the battery every 2 weeks (give or take). it cleans my teeth so well that i get that "just from the dentist feel" every time - it's SO cliche, but SO TRUE! i had the startings of bad gingivitis when i was in college and was recommended to get an electric toothbrush by my dentist. since using it, my gingivitis is gone and my teeth are smoother and whiter.

just be careful to not use too much pressure when holding the toothbrush to your teeth. if you press to hard, you don't get a good clean and it can irritate your gums.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/18/2008 7:45:00 AM More reviews by MB418

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

As an electric toothbrush, this is awesome, BUT (and this is a BIG BUT), I have already purchased 3 sonicare toothbrushes for the past 5 years. The first year worked great but after about 18 months of use, the toothbrush just died on me. It no longer works. It happened again yesterday when it just died completely overnight, while the previous one died slowly. I suspect that it is the battery, but the warranty was only for one year, so I'd never bothered to have it fixed. I thought it was me who damaged it. After buying 3 of them, I concluded that the toothbrush just lasted for about 1 year to a year and a half MAX. I tried to be a loyal user, but the performance really disappointed me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2008 9:45:00 PM More reviews by suggrr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I've had a Sonicare Elite toothbrush for probably about four years now. It is incredibly impressive- it works very well, has two vibration strengths (99% of the time I use the more gentle one), and the heads are replaceable. The (on the small side but soft) heads even come with different colors on a ring around the neck of the brush so you can tell whose brush you're picking up. I try and make my brush head last as long as possible, but I have a chronic problem with pressing too hard when I brush. The Sonicare makes it a little more difficult to do that because it's vibrating while I'm brushing. When the bristles on the brush start to turn outward, I replace the head (mine screws off and the replacement screws on- it's that easy) instead of just waiting the six months that's recommended on the replacement head package. You might want to unscrew and check under the head every month or two in case there's toothpaste residue underneath it that needs to be cleaned up.

I like that my Sonicare audibly lets me know every thirty seconds to move to a different quarter of my mouth, and I like that it turns off after two minutes. This is a great tool to use to make sure you're brushing your teeth for long enough. You can tell how much power you have left with a bar (made up of smaller bars) on the side- when it's down to one small bar, or that one bar is blinking, it's about time to recharge the Sonicare. Recharging my Sonicare is easy. It comes with a small base that you just plug in, then put the Sonicare in the cradle. Green lights make their way up the little bars on the power bar, showing that it's recharging. When it's done, the bars will all be solid.

We bought our set of two Sonicare Elites at Costco for a good price, and they occasionally have a three-pack of replacement heads at a great price, too. If you don't see them one week, just wait a week or two and they'll be back. The big plus to buying a Sonicare or Sonicare set at any store with a good refund policy is that you can bring it back if it doesn't work for you. But you really should have a toothbrush, right? Just don't press too hard on your teeth and I can't imagine why someone wouldn't like this brush (though perhaps the vibrating might be a turn-off.) You do have to commit to brushing your teeth each night, but it doesn't have to be for two minutes. Just use it until your teeth feel clean, then shut it off if you want.

As far as cost goes, it may be a bit of an upfront big initial cost for a toothbrush. But this toothbrush will save you time, pain, and energy spent worrying at the dentist. If you hate spending time in a dentist's chair, enduring lots of tooth scraping and gum cleaning that turns bloody (sorry to get graphic), you need to get this toothbrush. I have incredibly awful gums to the point of having had a gum transplant. My Sonicare not only encourages me to brush with less force, but it also gets and keeps my teeth more clean. This means less poking and prodding at my gums and less of that hook, scraping away at my teeth. The upfront cost of this toothbrush paid for itself the first (much less painful) trip to the dentist I made. Even though I should floss more than once a month, I've actually gotten very positive comments from dentists and dental hygienists about the state of my mouth. It is not because I take meticulous care of my teeth, or because of the toothpaste I use- it is entirely 100% because I use a Sonicare toothbrush. I could not be happier with it. If this toothbrush ever dies on me, you can bet I'm running straight to Costco within the week to replace it with no second thoughts. continued >>

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2008 12:41:00 AM More reviews by ThatLadyNextDoor

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

100% PERFECT toothbrush!! I purchased mine from my dentist a few months ago. My teeth feel so clean and refreshed everytime I use it. This was the best investment I ever made!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2008 12:21:00 AM More reviews by NikkiBee

My dentist and many of the dental hygienists who work in the office use the Sonicare toothbrush and recommended it to me. It's really great for giving you that "just had my teeth cleaned at the dentist's" feeling. My friend has had the same Sonicare toothbrush for over three years. The only downside is that the replacement heads can be expensive unless you order them online off of a place like Amazon, or buy them in bulk from Costco.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2008 12:07:00 PM More reviews by makeupjunkie5349

Like the previous reviewer, I also got the Flexcare Toothbrush with the attached UV Cleaner. I absolutely love it. My teeth have never felt so clean from any other toothbrush. I decided to spring for this toothbrush because I love my Clarisonic face brush so much (and I believe they are made by the same company). Just like the Clarisonic, it has a T-timer that tells you when to move to another part of your mouth for brushing. And I really like the fact that it has a UV Cleaner. Wonderful toothbrush and well worth the investment!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2008 6:58:00 PM More reviews by rossiste

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Sonicare Flexcare Toothbrush. I totally recommend this toothbrush. You get all the same great sonicare brushing but this model is far superior to some of the earlier less expensive versions. This one is pricey compared to the other versions.

In addition to the traditional 2 min cleaning cycle this brush also has a 1 min "Go-Care" for an on the run quick brush or a 3 minute more intensive clean cycle. Along with a massage and sensitive cycles focused more on the gums.

It comes with a UV cleaner that stores and sanitizes 2 brush heads. The brush heads are easy to switchout with no twisting on and off of the brush heads. It just comes off with one pull and then you store it in the UV cleaner. Way more sanitary. Also the toothbrush itself has no little nooks and crannies to clean out like earlier version that if you aren't careful will get icky.

GREAT brush. Very clean and seems more sanitary than previous versions. I also thing because of the ease of removing/replacing the brush head and the manner in which it is stored it is an easier brush to share with my husband.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2007 5:13:00 PM More reviews by westwoodbarbie

Wow, where do I even begin to describe how amazing this toothbrush is? I fell in love with this toothbrush when I went on a weekender trip with my boyfriend and forgot to pack my toothbrush (typical). He had been raving about how much he loved the Sonic and how he's been using it for years, but this was the first time I tried it.

My reaction was "wow." I bought my own immediately (hunt around, you can find it on sale for about $80 or $90 and most places will ship it to you for free). It was expensive, but I have not regretted it once. My teeth feel so clean after I use it, "just came from the dentist" clean. Plus, it has a 2 minute timer, which encourages you to actually brush for 2 minutes, something I must shamefully admit I never really did.

My complaint? Now, my teeth feel dirty every time I haven't just brushed them! Not really a complaint, is it though? That just encourages me to brush them even more often.

I've been using it for about 6 months now, and even after a month or two my friends and family commented on my teeth looking whiter. I absolutely love this toothbrush!

Once you try it, you'll never be able to go back to a regular toothbrush!