April 24, 2014 | 1782 users online

Moisturizers - Paula's Choice - Hydralight Moisture-Infusing Lotion

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2010 3:03:00 PM More reviews by moonstone2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have dry, sensitive, Rosacea-prone (pinkish cheeks that are prone to flushing) skin and have recently had to tweak my skincare regime due to an increase in flushing episodes. Hydralight Moisture-Infusing Lotion was one of the new products that I experimented with, in an attempt to calm down my inflamed skin. My experience, after having used this product for a few weeks, has been wonderful. The product description reads for oily/combination skin as well as Rosacea. Although my skin tends to be on the dry side, I was drawn to try it for those touted Rosacea benefits. The lotion is light and absorbs readily; so far, it has been moisturizing enough for my pre-Winter skin, as well. As for the scent that so many reviewers have commented upon: to my nose, it smells vaguely "herbal," as one reviewer put it, but that's about it. It does lack the blanket synthetic perfume smell used to hide the intrinsic scent of many products, but for me, this is a benefit. My nose and skin cannot tolerate most perfumes, and I far prefer the natural smell to come through a bit. The lotion has an almost cooling effect going on, and it is immediately calming to my skin. I have used it a few times, following flushing episodes, and it has reduced or eliminated the inflammation. The lotion contains numerous skin healthy antioxidants which are healing and protective in nature. My skin has been much calmer since I switched from my regular moisturizer to this one. I will definitely repurchase.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/24/2010 3:32:00 AM More reviews by JenniferClaire24

I really, really like this moisturiser. I live in Australia; harsh sun, harsh winter and this is a fabulous night time moisturiser for oily/combination skin - it's good for the day too if your make up contains sunscreen as this doesn't.

Its lightweight gel/cream texture has a smell I really, really like. I have read other reviews regarding the smell and as I have only recently started using this product I can only conclude that I must have come on board after the scent was re-worked.

I have now traded my Dermologica Active Moist for this product - I find this product suits my skin much better. I am not sure it leaves me with with the 'matte' finish as promised but who cares - this is a great product at a great price.

I cant wait for the Paula's Choice Daily Mattifying Lotion to become available in Australia. As it contains sunscreen I am hoping it will suit as my new daytime moisturiser.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2010 3:20:00 AM More reviews by gbaysa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

My Holy Grail night-time moisturizer! Me: Very oily, very acne-prone, non-sensitive skin that scars easily. When I say I have oily skin, I mean I have OILY skin. I never actually needed a moisturizer until about 2 years ago when I started getting dry, flaky patches on my cheeks and chin which I attribute to retinoids. I needed something to buffer the retinoids and something to moisturize on the nights I skip retinoids and this was a God-send. I'm so glad Paula Begoun reformulated this because the first time I got this I couldn't get over how bad it smelled and I swapped it away. After several drugstore and Sephora moisturizer failures, I read that Paula fixed the smell issue and I bought another bottle and now it's perfect! It's light yet moisturizing and not greasy at all! I love the pump because it's so sanitary and I don't have to dip my fingers into a jar or expose the antioxidants to air thus rendering them ineffective. I always stock up whenever Paula has special discounts or free shipping. Thanks for fixing the smell, Paula!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2010 12:42:00 AM More reviews by fortune222

My 2nd favorite product in Paula's line - wonderful non-greasy light moisturizer for spring & summer - maybe even most of fall.

It lasts about 6-7 hours before my dry cheeks get thirsty for a spritz of witch hazel, and I can definitely say it won't break most people out or contribute to blackheads.

While it can be used as a very light eye cream, it doesn't really plump up or diffuse light away from lines.

The scent issue mentioned below appears to have been ameliorated. And Paula's color products layer over it very nicely.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2010 7:17:00 AM More reviews by Courtloux128

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Perfect moisturizer for my oily skin! Once it dries my skin feels dewy and moisturized but not greasy. It works well in summer and winter months.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/11/2009 10:53:00 PM More reviews by marileab

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I generally like Paula's products, and I needed a new moisturizer. After looking at the reviews here, I decided to try a sample of this moisturizer in my last order instead of ordering the full-size product. While I think this is a good moisturizer for my slightly oily skin that gets a bit dry in the winter, the smell was too much for me. I usually don't use scented products on my face, and though this isn't scented, the smell was a bit overwhelming. I like the product formulation--the lotion was light but moisturizing. The dry patches I used it on weren't dry in the morning. But I wouldn't buy this product again because of the smell.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2009 3:40:00 AM More reviews by mapn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

Eeeeeewww, this moisturiser stinks so bad!! I opened a sample sachet and could only use it once. I also think it made my face break out due to silicones… But I really can't evaluate it any further, because I just can't get past the smell.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2009 5:05:00 AM More reviews by 3dogsnight73

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

this is great for oily skin or for summer. it's very light and has great ingredients. it does stink but customer service stated they are working on that.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2009 1:54:00 PM More reviews by regina1981

I have been using this product for years and I absolutely love it!!! It does smell funny, but that doesn't bother me. To tell you the truth, I don't even notice it anymore. My husband does and he comments on it almost every night. No else gets as close to my face as he does so I don't worry about it. I have oily/combination skin; it’s oily in the summer, combination through the fall and winter. I live in Minnesota where the weather changes drastically with the seasons. I use this product differently throughout the year. During the winter and fall, I layer it under another moisturizer with sunscreen in the morning and with Paula's Super Antioxidant Concentrate at night. When the temperature gets below zero I use an inexpensive emollient product, like Ponds Dry Skin Cream, to really "lock in" the antioxidants. In the summer, if I use a moisturizer at night, I use this alone.

I think this product is reasonably priced. I would probably pay more for it since it works so well for me.

I can live with the smell and the price, but Paula needs to do something about the packaging. I love that this product comes with a pump and cap. But the pumps and caps are of such poor quality! I never know how much lotion I'm going to get at a time. In fact, one of the three bottles in my last order doesn't even work. The caps always crack (I just throw them away). I love the product, but the packaging needs some work.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/29/2009 1:33:00 PM More reviews by jmltan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I OWN the "Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me" book and I treat it like a skin care bible. I rarely use products unless they have been reviewed by Paula. I have always told myself that in order for me to be objective, I should never buy Paula's Choice as there may be a conflict of interest for the product maker to be the reviewer as well.

I was right.

I ran out of choices for nighttime moisturizers so I decided to try this product. Liked the texture, and I didn't really believe the reviews on Makeupalley about the smell. This morning I put this on my face, and when I applied to the upper lip, the smell was so strong that I almost threw up! I had to quickly put on my Aveeno positively ageless daily moisturizer to mask the smell.

The review in the book should be amended to warn readers that there is a foul smell to this product. Although being the product maker why would Paula do this. Another alternative is to consider using fragrance.

I am returning this to the Canadian distributor for Paula's Choice. When I called their toll free customer support I was told something like "if you broke the seal you can't return it.... because we can't resell it" I had to go to the LiveChat on the cosmeticscop.ca website to clarify that I could indeed return the product.

I also wrote to Bryan Barron at Beautypedia to inform him about the smell. This is the exact email response I received: "Thanks for your comments. We won't be changing the review in the book. This product smells fine to us and the thousands of people who purchase it each month. You're certainly welcome to return it as per our 100% satisfaction guarantee."

While it is totally justified for me to return this product, the maker (s) of this product obviously need to fix their sense of smell, or refrain from using the word "fragrance-free" on a product that I can only imagine its rightful place being in the kitchen trash along with similar smelling items. To the "thousands" of users of this product, I must say I am amazed your tolerance level for smell.