November 21, 2014 | 1723 users online

Cleansers - Mario Badescu - Enzyme Cleansing Gel

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2013 2:44:00 PM More reviews by trickmaus

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

My skin:
I'm a PPP with rosacea and acne (rare, but yes I have been diagnosed with both), PIH marks and dry, sensitive skin.

As someone with incredibly problematic skin, I have tried more things than I can even remember to try to make my skin happy, and it just never has been. It's only been varying degrees of bad.

But then, I came on Makeup Alley and found reviews for this cleanser. And I admit, I thought that a cleanser would have minimal effect on my skin overall...after all, it's only on my skin for less than a minute. What good could that do?

Apparently, a LOT of good. Since I started using this cleanser, my pimples have diminished to the point where I only have one or two small ones at a time. My skin feels so incredibly smooth, I have to fight the urge to touch it all the time. It feels like the softest silk...something I NEVER would have described my skin as, ever. The one or two pimples I DO get are only around for about a day before they vanish...and they aren't leaving pigmentation when they leave.

This is without a doubt the best cleanser I have used in my life. It is gentle, yet exfoliating, and not at ALL drying. When I wash it off, my skin just feels amazing...not tight, not dirty, just lovely.

I don't use this as a makeup remover, however, and I don't think it would be good in that capacity. Before using this cleanser, I pre cleanse with my hemp seed oil, which I wash off with warm water. Then I smooth this cleanser onto my skin, and let it sit there for about a minute. After washing it off, I follow up with the Mario Badescu Glycolic Acid Toner, and once that dries, a generous amount of moisturizer. I do this twice a day (minus the makeup remover in the morning), and have the best skin I have had since I hit puberty.

If you have sensitive, acne prone or rosacea skin, I highly recommend trying out this cleanser.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/30/2013 12:27:00 PM More reviews by Nicolebby

I actually just purchased this after using a sample of it that was sent to me from a previous Mario Badescu order.

I give the packaging five stars because the same as the Botanical Facial Gel, it comes in a see through bottle, convenient for knowing how much product you have remaining, the pour spout on top makes it easy for dispensing the right amount of cleanser, and the smell is not too strong and not unpleasant. I happen to like how neither product foams and the gentleness of both cleansers is a definite plus. Also, I have not broken out because of either of these cleansers either!

I use this paired with my Clarisonic Mia 2 and it works wonders at removing makeup that my wipes have left behind and leaving my skin feeling clean and refreshed.

I think that I paid 12 USD for an 8 ounce bottle which is very affordable.

I don't know if I will repurchase because even though I love this product, to me, it seems to be the same as the Botanical Facial Gel and since there is no real difference at least in my opinion, I will just stick the my old favorite. I will update this as I continue to use the Enzyme Cleansing Gel if anything changes.

Edit: This cleanser has really grown on me. It smells so fresh, leaves my skin so soft and clean that I have really enjoyed using it. I would definitely repurchase and I think that I prefer it to the Botanical Facial Gel now which is surprising.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/27/2013 8:46:00 AM More reviews by gunc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I have combination skin with very oily parts, acne prone parts and some dry patches.
I just purchased this. Overall impression from the first day:
-Removes face makeup really well. I mean foundation and setting powder and blush and stuff. It removed all those things in seconds. (other users say it stings eyes like hell so I didn't try to remove eye makeup with it)
-No foam
-I like the shimmery look of the gel. Although, it makes me think, wasn't this supposed to be a natural product?
-Does not dry out my skin, does not leave it oily either. I just feel squeaky clean -without the drying effect of other thoroughly cleaning gels on the market. Love it.
-The "non-drying" phrase in the above comment does not mean that it leaves skin moisturized. It is totally suitable for oily skins like mine. (just saying it because i know I used to run away when something said non-drying, I thought it would make me oilier. Turns out it's wrong.) Like I said, squeaky clean.
-Didn't make my skin angry. And my skin is prone to getting angry. It is really calming.
-Smells like toxic household cleaners, weird for such a natural product with such few ingredients.
-One of those few ingredients is METHYL PARABEN. Now what's with that? Natural product, such great results, can't you find a non-carcinogenic preservative MB? And I've tried soooo many cleansers, and I liked this one sooo very much! Better result than anything I have ever tried. I'm devastated.

I will finish my bottle and update this comment. Five lippies off for the parabens, three given back for the cleaning perfection.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2013 11:57:00 AM More reviews by garstrieper

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I got a sample of this product from my friend, and I am very intrigued. It is gentle, has a pleasant smell, and seemed to soothe my benzoyl peroxide-burned skin without stripping or leaving too much oil behind. I may just have to purchase this.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2013 5:14:00 AM More reviews by ajb1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Other

I am REALLY fond of this cleanser, which I recently bought in a small size after a long hiatus. I ran through it so quickly I immediately ordered jumbo size--thanks to a gift certificate and promotion I paid less for it than I would've a drugstore cleanser.
My favorite thing about it is the absence of harsh synthetic chemicals. It's glycerin, papaya and grapefruit extracts, a few preservatives (which you need to keep the other stuff from going bad), and that's it! I used Cerave for a long time, but noticed it drying out my skin and also felt leery of the long ingredients list. I feel the fewer ingredients in products, the better.
I use almond oil to remove my eye makeup (this would irritate), and then spread the MB on my face and let it sink in a bit while I brush my teeth, then use the Clarisonic...or not. It smells divine.
Afterwards my skin is moist, not tight or greasy, and pores (mine are huge and ugly) seem much less clogged. It leaves the skin BREATHING if that makes any sense--open to whatever you put next on it.
I also adore the retro packaging ("Established 1967"! love it): glam, sanitary, environmentally friendly and attractive on the shelf. And you can easily see how much is left and get the dregs out, much easier than with a pump.
But it's not going to work for those who want something that suds and leaves you feeling squeaky, or conversely something creamy. It's the perfect in-between though, so I recommend it for combo skin like mine that is both visibly aging and acne-prone.
I love the MB company, with its samples and great customer service--they feel like what Kiehl's used to be before they sold out to L'Oreal.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/2/2013 6:59:00 PM More reviews by ACAA

This cleanser made me break out even more! I have moderate acne and a sales associate at ULTA told me this was magic. Well it wasn't, it broke me out and caused cystic acne & white heads. I road it out for a month thinking that my acne had to get worse before it got better. Well during this month it got worse and stayed there. Even after using it twice a day for a whole month, there was no improvement wt all. It might be a great cleanser, but it's just not for me. Never buying this again and I actually regret ever purchasing it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2013 4:21:00 PM More reviews by Lucy_192

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a wonderful cleanser for combination skin. It makes your skin feel fresh and clean, and gives it a lovely glow.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2013 3:07:00 PM More reviews by HighPriestess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

A godsend for me as someone who needs daily chemical exfoliation, but nothing too harsh as I tend to dryness/redness as is.

I love watching flakes "roll" off as I work this (minimal-lathering) cleanser into my skin. :P It's the perfect way to start the day!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/25/2013 5:05:00 PM More reviews by ShirleyJennifer

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought the Enzyme cleanser in February of this year. I was experiencing break outs and clogged pores, which I haven't had in years. After reading reviews about this product I decided to give this cleanser a try. I have normal skin and I had blackheads and clogged pores when I started using this product.

I like the packaging, it's not very pretty, but it's working just fine. When I used this product for the first time I couldn't stop sniffing.... It smells lovely. I think it smells sweet and a bit avocadoish. You have to smell it for yourself to know what I mean! The substance feels great, very.... well, soft and it spreads very easily. It left my skin very comfortable at first. I loved it. I used a moisturizer afterwards and it felt good. After a few weeks use I noticed my skin became dry even when using a moisturizer.I started using this product once a day and my skin became less dry. I also noticed glitters on my face after washing my face with this cleanser. I didn't like that. I don't want some sort of residue on my face after washing and even my toner couldn't remove it properly.

I've used this product for a couple of months and I have to say... it didn't do much. I loved the feel, the scent and everything, but it's just not working for me. My breakouts didn't stop or got less and my face still had dry patches so I decided to give up. I gave this cleanser to a friend of mine and she likes it (used it about 2 months). For reference, she has combo/oily skin, I have normal skin which tends to be a bit dry in winter. I think this cleanser works better for people with combo skin for my friend loves it, and after rereading the reviews I found out that most people with oily/combo skin quite liked the product. The glittery residue doesn't bother my friend but that's different for everybody. It's not a bad cleanser at all, unfortunately just not a cleanser for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/23/2013 2:24:00 AM More reviews by ayu_adams

Hmm.. I'm not sure what to think of this cleanser. Lol.. I don't hate it, but I'm not obsessing over it either.

The good:
GREAT packaging. Very neat dispenser and zero spillage. It's like a little snout that you pull out from the top of the bottle and squirt the cleanser out, and then push it back down when you're done.
Nice consistency. This is a gel cleanser and has zero foam so just a heads-up for those who prefer foaming cleansers, this is NOT for you. Gel consistency is very mild textured and does not feel harsh on the face at all.
Cleanses well. Despite being foamless and very gentle, this cleanses my makeup-free face really really well.

The bad:
Hmm.. It's a cleanser and it cleanses. Doesn't do anything else apart from that. No added skincare benefits that I've noticed. Not that cheap here in Singapore. Costs $40+.. And for a basic cleanser, not worth the price. I could get a cleanser for that price that has added skincare benefits or mild exfoliation abilities that can brighten the face.