Estee Lauder Tom Ford Black Orchid

3.7

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I've tried this several times, always hoping to love it. But I don't. I realize that fragrance is highly subjective, however, I can't say I love this. The sillage is quite impressive-I spritzed on a tiny amount of the EDP today and WOW! I was definitely wafting. Once in my car, it got sort of cloying and suffocating, so that I was glad to get out. I have to admit that I've never sniffed an actual orchid, so I can't comment on exactly what this smells like. Actually, it smells a tiny bit like BBWs Black Amethyst (ew, Dimetapp!) with a smidgen of licorice and some heavy powdery stuff. I think it's actually the licorice-ness that gets me--I loathe black licorice. Ick.

This is a long-lasting powerhouse, but sadly, not for me.

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

I was surprised that the overall rating of this perfume was quite low. To me, Black Orchid is practically a masterpiece- i feel very feminine when wearing it, i get many compliments, and i never feel tired of the smell at all.

I used to think that it was a very strong scent, but on me it somehow mixes with my own skin and just naturally sticks:) I realize that for those who like simpler- fruity, fresh, lighter- scents, this could smell overpowering, but for someone like me (who can appreciate stronger scents), this is quite mild:-)

The staying power is very good- i sometimes smell it after the shower! But, as i said, it's not overpowering, it just follows you wherever you go but in a sexy, feminine way.

I'd say try it on your skin to see how chemistry works, because at times it can smell a bit like oily skin, but i suppose it's one of the "ferominish" ingredients:-)

Also, just to look at the bottle and realize that you own something THAT feminine, makes you feel special:-)

There is something very familiar about this perfume to me, I cannot quite put my finger on it. The fruitiness in it reminds me of Dior's Dolce Vita, or something else from the 90s. On me Black Orchid is really vibrant. There is nothing boring about it. It's strong at the beginning but dries down to a fresh, yet complex smell. In fact it starts off really fruity. Coco Mademoiselle also has that fruity blast to start off with. I am not too keen on that part, but the fruitiness dries down eventually. I don't know, maybe if they took that fruit blast out, they would not end up with the same dry down??? Either way, the dry down is well worth the wait. I thought Black Orchid would be darker but I am in fact quite happy it is not, otherwise it could have been too hard to wear on a daily basis. There is a slight masculine edge to it, but I don't find it to be too pronounced. To me Midnight Poison or Bvlgari Black are way more masculine than Black Orchid. Beautiful retro looking bottle and packaging. I would be cautious when applying, this is strong and has very good lasting power. One spray does it for me.

EDIT:
I was very surprised when my husband commented that Black Orchid smells "Masculine, masculine enough so that I could wear it if I had to". He said that if he had to describe it with one word, it would be "Mature. Not old, but mature. if you where 18 and wore it it would seem out of place. A man refined enough to appreciate it could wear it too." So there, here is a man's opinion for you, hope it helps!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

LOVE IT! It is sensual, unique, very warm and it gives off a grown-up, sophisticated vibe. It is a bit heavy though, so in warmer weather, it might not be a good idea (what am I going to do in the summer?!). Reviewers seem really mixed on the scent, but on me, it smells very floral-y. I've gotten compliments when I where it and when I put it on, my SO can't stop sniffing me.

.....I love this!!

I have the most volatile relationship with this scent. I always love my Issey, but this scent is either my absolute favorite of all time, or a scent I want to throw away immediately. I either smell in on my wrist and absolutely melt, or I don't want to wear it in the morning. This perfume does get compliments when I wear it out. I get scared at times that it does make me smell boy-ish, but it still gets fans.

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

Thank goodness I got a sample of this, as I though it awful and my SO was not only disgusted by it, he was allergic to it I guess. I sprayed it on before bed-this is how I use up stuff, hate to waste-and he sneezed all night. It was really bad on all counts, for us anyway.

Skin: Dry, Other, Warm

My initial impression was "wow, this is way too strong." I got a candied plum smell, very much TOO INTENSE. The mid-notes reek of a Miami overweight, sweaty man in a nightclub, covered in cheap cologne. Reeks, quite badly. I smell the "black" part, the smoky, aoud-like rank musty cologney perfume. I do not recognize anything remotely natural in this product.
I was hoping for a 'crotch smell,' as Tom Ford described it, even a heady orchid with some darker tones, but all I get is a smelly overweight dude with too much cologne on... not a big fan of that smell....

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I personally LOVED this. Smells disgusting out of the bottle, like "casino odor," i.e., rotting fruit and cigarette smoke. On my skin it changed over to a marshmallow scent. Unfortunately my husband smelled the "casino odor" scent and was immediately turned off by it. Told me to throw it out even after it changed over to the marshmallow scent. Definitely a scent that is meant to be tried out on your skin and will smell different on everyone. Great staying power! I could smell it on my sheets the next day. Would buy it again and make it my signature scent if my husband didn't hate the way it smelled out of the bottle.

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

I sampled this when I was out assisting my mother purchasing work shoes. I saw a sample of this and spritz it on my wrist. I waited 30 minutes and asked my mother how did it smell and she said it smelled fine. I was ecstatic since a lot of these trendy perfumes tends to smell rancid on me so I have to be careful on what I wear. I plan to get this soon since it is a bit pricey.

Popular Fragrances