October 25, 2014 | 1321 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - Tom Ford Black Orchid

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2010 2:57:00 AM More reviews by SNIFFMEALLOVER

There is something very familiar about this perfume to me, I cannot quite put my finger on it. The fruitiness in it reminds me of Dior's Dolce Vita, or something else from the 90s. On me Black Orchid is really vibrant. There is nothing boring about it. It's strong at the beginning but dries down to a fresh, yet complex smell. In fact it starts off really fruity. Coco Mademoiselle also has that fruity blast to start off with. I am not too keen on that part, but the fruitiness dries down eventually. I don't know, maybe if they took that fruit blast out, they would not end up with the same dry down??? Either way, the dry down is well worth the wait. I thought Black Orchid would be darker but I am in fact quite happy it is not, otherwise it could have been too hard to wear on a daily basis. There is a slight masculine edge to it, but I don't find it to be too pronounced. To me Midnight Poison or Bvlgari Black are way more masculine than Black Orchid. Beautiful retro looking bottle and packaging. I would be cautious when applying, this is strong and has very good lasting power. One spray does it for me.

EDIT:
I was very surprised when my husband commented that Black Orchid smells "Masculine, masculine enough so that I could wear it if I had to". He said that if he had to describe it with one word, it would be "Mature. Not old, but mature. if you where 18 and wore it it would seem out of place. A man refined enough to appreciate it could wear it too." So there, here is a man's opinion for you, hope it helps!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2010 7:15:00 PM More reviews by minimaliste

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

LOVE IT! It is sensual, unique, very warm and it gives off a grown-up, sophisticated vibe. It is a bit heavy though, so in warmer weather, it might not be a good idea (what am I going to do in the summer?!). Reviewers seem really mixed on the scent, but on me, it smells very floral-y. I've gotten compliments when I where it and when I put it on, my SO can't stop sniffing me.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2010 2:59:00 AM More reviews by Angela1013

.....I love this!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2010 3:30:00 PM More reviews by nidsters19

I have the most volatile relationship with this scent. I always love my Issey, but this scent is either my absolute favorite of all time, or a scent I want to throw away immediately. I either smell in on my wrist and absolutely melt, or I don't want to wear it in the morning. This perfume does get compliments when I wear it out. I get scared at times that it does make me smell boy-ish, but it still gets fans.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2010 9:59:00 PM More reviews by kimball

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Thank goodness I got a sample of this, as I though it awful and my SO was not only disgusted by it, he was allergic to it I guess. I sprayed it on before bed-this is how I use up stuff, hate to waste-and he sneezed all night. It was really bad on all counts, for us anyway.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/7/2010 5:07:00 PM More reviews by chrystelica

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My initial impression was "wow, this is way too strong." I got a candied plum smell, very much TOO INTENSE. The mid-notes reek of a Miami overweight, sweaty man in a nightclub, covered in cheap cologne. Reeks, quite badly. I smell the "black" part, the smoky, aoud-like rank musty cologney perfume. I do not recognize anything remotely natural in this product.
I was hoping for a 'crotch smell,' as Tom Ford described it, even a heady orchid with some darker tones, but all I get is a smelly overweight dude with too much cologne on... not a big fan of that smell....

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2010 12:07:00 AM More reviews by violetsiva

I personally LOVED this. Smells disgusting out of the bottle, like "casino odor," i.e., rotting fruit and cigarette smoke. On my skin it changed over to a marshmallow scent. Unfortunately my husband smelled the "casino odor" scent and was immediately turned off by it. Told me to throw it out even after it changed over to the marshmallow scent. Definitely a scent that is meant to be tried out on your skin and will smell different on everyone. Great staying power! I could smell it on my sheets the next day. Would buy it again and make it my signature scent if my husband didn't hate the way it smelled out of the bottle.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2010 12:28:00 PM More reviews by gommiebears

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

I sampled this when I was out assisting my mother purchasing work shoes. I saw a sample of this and spritz it on my wrist. I waited 30 minutes and asked my mother how did it smell and she said it smelled fine. I was ecstatic since a lot of these trendy perfumes tends to smell rancid on me so I have to be careful on what I wear. I plan to get this soon since it is a bit pricey.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2010 11:51:00 PM More reviews by zernelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'll start with the good things about this oriental fragrance first: It doesn't turn sharp on my skin the way so many fragrances do, and it lasts a long time. In fact, I could smell it on my wrist for a good 48 hours, even after a shower. However, that wasn't necessarily good, since I'm not overly fond of the fragrance. I'm not huge fan of orientals to begin with, and this one seems pretty generic to me. I don't smell any of the unique notes that this fragrance is supposed to have, and it actually reminds me of some Avon fragrance that my mom used to wear.
Notes: truffle, ylang-ylang, bergamot, black currant, orchid, fruity notes, lotus wood, dark chocolate, incense, patchouli, sandalwood, vanilla, and vetiver. continued >>

rated 3 of 5 on 2/17/2010 10:29:00 PM More reviews by Mary8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I received Black Orchid as a gift when it first came out. I like lush oriental fragrances and enjoyed this one enough to use most of the bottle. Towards the end though I got a little sick of it. It was too overbearing and at times almost nauseating. It's a very heavy fragrance. A woman in my office smelled it on me and started wearing it too. I recently smelled it on a woman I know who has worn it since it was introduced and I still feel the same way--it's overbearing. Strangely, this fragrance seems to smell the same on everyone I've smelled it on, that is the same as it does in the bottle. This is not one I'd buy.