Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

4.4

Extra-virgin coconut oil.

on 11/6/2014 7:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Cool

love coconut oil! I've been using it on my hair for as long as I can remember but only recently tried using it on my face. I can't use this everyday otherwise my pores become clogged but it works great every once in a while (couple times a month) as an overnight hydrating mask. My skin always looks amazing the morning after I've used this!

on 11/1/2014 1:09:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I am such a fan of coconut oil. I use it as a daily body moisturiser, hair treatment and for removing makeup. My boyfriend has started using it instead of shaving cream as he kept getting a shaving rash - he's loving it. The best thing about coconut oil is that's it's all natural - no chemicals or preservatives. I will always use coconut oil!

on 10/25/2014 5:03:00 AM

I have used coconut oil everyday.
- oil pulling in the morning and evening, after brushing my teeth.
- OCM for face every morning and evening.
- facial massage in the evening, while taking a bath
- hair, once for a while.
- eating it by itself or in tea or food
- cooking

it is amazing, and good price when i can find them in holland and barret half price, or in costco for a huge bottle.

[update Feb/25/2015]: because my skin becomes very dehydrated in the winter, I thought to give it a try to use it as facial moisturizer. IT WORKS. I use it every morning and evening very generously. Often one layer between serum and lotion, and one more layer after lotion and one more after it being absorbed. I tend to mix with HA toner with it. I use it very generously, so my face and hand look very greasy. I thought I might get acne, but after two weeks experiment, it is actually the level of oil my skin needs. my skin LOVES it. no more caking on foundation and first time feel hydrated skin in the winter. a MUST for dehydrate and dry skin in the winter.

Coconut oil for the face? No way! Too pore-clogging for my liking. But it's ideal for the hair and can be used in place of a serum, for dry hair ends or to tame flyaways. I use it for my hair ends once or twice a week when I'm due a hair cut - the smallest amount possible, warmed between the palms. As I have fine, bra strap length hair I have to be careful not to overload my hair and pure coconut oil is one of the few oils that my hair can tolerate as a leave-in. I can't tell you how great it is for people who 'can't do' oil - it's HG material for me.

This oil has changed my life (or at least my hair)! Really. I use a bit on the ends only after shampooing and conditioning. It helps detangle and fight frizz. My rough blow dry looks smoother and my hair is silky and stays shiny after flat ironing. A little worked through the ends of 2nd day hair that's pulled into a ponytail looks groomed and healthy rather than flyaway. Maybe my hair has just been really dry my whole life and just needed some oil. I thought I'd hate it or it would break out my problematic skin, but I love it. I rub the extra oil on my hands after doing my hair and my skin feels soft.

on 10/15/2014 3:11:00 PM

As this review is for the coconut oil as a cleanser I will tell you my experience with it (I also have reviews for other uses)- we don't have any relationship, not even as a cleanser. Which I tried once and it was enough because it is horrible. Gave me cysts, pimples and clogged pores.
From time to time I like to massage my eye area with an oil (and then wipe it off) and when I tried with coconut oil it irritated my skin as in small red dots and patches under my eyes. Also left a ''veil '' on my eyes. It is also very greasy and needed a lot of facial wash to clean it off. Yuck.

on 10/7/2014 7:50:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Ah, what would I do without this? It's great for pretty much anything in my beauty regime. It can be a body lotion, hair mask, eye/face-makeup remover and even a face moisturizer for those with dry skin. Personally I use as a hair mask when I run out of my Organix Moroccan Oil renewing Treatment. It does the job just as well. I use it mostly though as an eye-makeup remover. I think it's really gentle. I first gently wash my eyelids and eyelash with warm water to get rid of the stiff mascara sitting on it then I get a cotton ball put some coconut oil on my eyelids and gently rub off the smudged excess. It's so gentle and doesn't leave my eyes watery. It moisturizes my eyelids and under eyes before I go to bed.

on 10/1/2014 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

*This review is for coconut oil as a cleanser/makeup remover*

I wanted to love this because I thought it would be an affordable and natural way of removing my makeup/cleansing my face, but unfortunately my skin hated it.

For reference, the brand I used was Loving Earth Organic Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. I used this by applying to dry skin, massaging to cleanse and remove makeup and then used a hot washcloth to remove it. It took more than one washcloth for me to remove the residue of this from my skin and despite the fact that my makeup was removed my skin still felt really dirty.

I broke out in deep, cystic acne on my cheeks that took weeks to heal and I now have scarring that I am trying to fade. This seems to work so well for some people but for me it was awful. I have since started using a cleansing balm that emulsifies when wet and am much more satisfied with the results.

on 9/22/2014 10:42:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Coconut oil has saved my life! I have had normal/combination skin ever since puberty hit & I use to torture my skin with benzoyl peroxide, alcohol-based astringents & used exfoliating cleansers on the daily. Can you say recipe for disaster?? No wonder I struggled with my skin so much lol.
Anywho, I'm older and wiser now lol & have discovered the amazing world of natural products.
I use coconut oil as a makeup remover ONLY. I start by rubbing a small amount of CO in my hands, apply it to my face and gently massage it all over for a good minute or two. Then, I'll grab for a makeup remover wipe and wipe off the gross oil and makeup mixture. I make sure the wipe is completely dirty. Then I'll use a cleanser (Neutrogena's naturals purifying facial cleanser with makeup remover) and thoroughly cleanse my face. I then pat my face dry with a clean towel and apply moisturizer (Olay's sensitive skin).
Not only is my skin nice and clear, it GLOWS! It feels so soft and I'm constantly complimented on my skin when I'm out and about. I've also noticed that some of old acne scars are fading and maybe it's just me but I feel that my pores have shrunk.

on 9/4/2014 1:49:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

**By the way, this listing is for coconut oil as a cleanser, there are separate reviews for coconut oil for hair and body. It gets confusing when people review for more than one use in the wrong listing.**

Don't get me wrong, I love coconut oil, a lot. I love to eat it, I love it in my hair, etc. But I was always scared to try it on my face. I am clog prone and had previously tried other oils for cleansing and usually what would happen is my open/picked at areas would clear and rejuvenate but after about a week I would get bumps again, usually around the jaw line. To be fair, I always have bumps and acne, so I don't even know what to blame for it, but if something is not helping then it I don't continue. So recently, I figured I may be over drying myself and I'll try coconut oil as a cleansing method. Like usual, my cuts cleared quickly and my skin felt like it was improving. But after about a week, I got a major amount of bumps on my forehead, which is not the usual spot that people break out after OCM and I actually thought it was heat rash. But it spread to my cheeks and basically, I had blackheads, whiteheads and tiny micro bumps ALL OVER that couldn't even be extracted or treated. It's been over a week since I stopped and I'm still dealing with it. I'm not oily skinned, but the coconut was just too clogging for me (as all seem to be, but I was right to think coconut would be more so). So as much as I love it, I absolutely can NOT use it on my face. I only gave two lippies because it made my skin so soft I hate to give it one. I know it helps a lot of people but for me, it just didn't, even rinsing thoroughly with a warm washcloth and sometimes using a bit of cleanser to make sure it was off.