Kanebo kate mascara base

4.3

on 7/26/2009 3:27:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I have thin and short straight lashes and hard to curl. And, this is the best product I have found so far that keeps my stubborn lashes lifted and curled throughout the day. This mascara base offers more volume, more length and more curl.

on 4/24/2009 3:25:00 AM

This mascara base is absolute MAGIC! I've always been a skeptic when it comes to the effectiveness of a mascara base. They're usually adequate, but nothing to write home about. Kate mascara base has made a believer out of me. Kate is the first base mascara I've ever used that doesn't straighten freshly curled lashes. Not only does it keep my curl intact, it actually reinforces the curl so that it holds after the application of mascara. Amazing! I've never been so excited about a cosmetic product. This is a must-have for every asian girl's makeup bag. It comes in a sleek, white, rectangular tube and the product is clear gel with little fibers mixed in it. I found mine for about $14 on eBay, which I think is a steal for what it does.

on 2/10/2009 9:41:00 AM

Just to clarify, I know of at least two versions of this product. I think that the older version comes in a white circular tube and the mascara base itself is white. The one that I have comes in a white rectangular tube and the cap is transparent black. The mascara base is mostly transparent, though it contains white colored fibers.

Like the reviewer before me, I was looking for a cheaper replacement for my beloved Shiseido mascara base. I'm just as happy with the Kate! It holds the curl just as well, if not better, which is my number one priority. But while the Shiseido tended to fatten up my lashes, the Kate feels lighter on and it lengthens them noticeably. So if you want volume, go with Shiseido; if you want length, go with Kate.

Both of them can be stubborn when it comes to washing them off. If you're like me and wary of fibers because they can fall off and irritate the eyes, there's no need to worry about that with Kate. The fibers stick remarkably well to your lashes, almost too well: I need a dab of Ponds cold cream to remove them easily and gently. From now on I'll go with whichever of the two happens to be more affordable. Love 'em both!

on 2/9/2009 4:48:00 PM

This product is amazing. I have gone through 2 tubes of Shiseido mascara base which is a good product but now that I've met Kate, goodbye Shiseido. It's cheaper and works better. Even if it was the same price as Shiseido I would choose this one as it's half the price (I get it on ebay shipped from Asia) but the fact that it works even better... I've never seen my eyelashes like this before. It's moments like this that makes all this makeup researching worthwhile!! Thank you MUA!!

*Click on "Continued>>" to view pics / full review*

Product Description:

Any Japanese Whiz care to translate the above statement? :D

Actual Product Pic:

The Packaging it came in

The actual tube :) hmmm... it does look a little different from the one on the website.

Ingredients:

Anybody care to translate this? :D

The Applicator:

Swatch:

See how long it makes my eyelashes? :D

My Review:

This highly raved mascara base does deliver!! It made my lashes both fuller and longer. This stuff is fragrance free - which is great for me. i don't know why most mascaras smell so funky! It goes on smoothly so you can decide how many layers you wanna pile on to achieve the desired effect. You can't beat the price either!! :) The downside is, it does clump a little if you use it with a volumizing mascara. Yuck!

Pictures to proof:

Bare Eye:

Without Kate Mascara Base (Used ZA Cutie Curl Volume):

With Kate Mascara Base + ZA Cutie Curl Volume:

A whole world of difference right? i don't like how clumpy it is though... will try it with a lenghtening mascara instead of a volumizing one and see if this improves.

In a Nutshell:
A drugstore product that delivers!! :)

Likes: Lengthens and Volumizes very well, fragrance free, ease of application, Price!!
Gripes: Clumps when used with a volumizing mascara :P

Rating: 4 Stars ! Near HG Stuff!! :) continued >>

on 8/17/2008 5:40:00 PM

the best mascara primer out there.. i had to order mine from ebay, which came from Hong Kong, and i am glad i finally did. it was relatively cheap, even though it came from overseas. this was cheaper than most primers at Sephora..
it gives me beautiful long thick eyelashes, and looks even better when i am wearing my colored contacts.. it is a little hard to remove, but i will definately be repurchasing soon.. definately my HG primer..

on 8/12/2008 1:43:00 AM

While I haven't tried that many mascara base products, I'm very happy with this and will not switch to any other.

I use it in combination with the Shiseido Majolica Majorca lengthening mascara. And I ALWAYS get compliments on how long my lashes are!! The truth is I only have average length Asian eyelashes!!

This base really lengthens the tips of my lashes with fibers and the bonus is that it also thickens a fair bit.

Agree with previous reviewer that it does leave some white on lash tips but I don't have trouble covering that up. I just swipe my mascara brush over the tips gently and it's gone.

on 7/27/2008 3:40:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This is my very first mascara base and I am in love with it. It's cheap but it holds the curl pretty well, volumizes and lengthens my lashes! I can get those luxurious lashes now by using this and my fiberwig mascara (which doesn't really volumize at all) rather than my super hard-to-be-removed majolica majorca mascara! The only thing I am not so happy with is that it leaves some white coating on my lash tips. A little bit hard to be covered completely by my normal mascara and it causes my fiberwig clumpses a little bit while I have no clumping issue at all when using fiberwig alone.

on 5/17/2008 4:04:00 AM

This is the first time I've tried a mascara base so I have no basis for comparison but I totally LOVE this product!!!! I used this under Maybelline Unstoppable mascara which doesn't do anything to my stick-straight, thin Asian lashes, and the result was what I've always wanted --- it held up my lash curler-enhanced curl the whole day, gave me length and volume (not too much, but definitely noticeable!), perfect for an everyday look. I also love its small, thin brush that lets me apply the base easily to all parts of my lashes. It's not clumpy nor sticky. I'm definitely stocking up on this one!

on 5/9/2008 5:44:00 PM

My lovely friend (and fellow makeup ho) generously picked up a tube for me while she was in Asia. I couldn't help but try it right away, even though I already had a tube of Shiseido's mascara base open. I probably still prefer Shiseido (only because it dries clear on my black lashes, and doesn't have any fibers to fuss with), but this is cheaper and just as effective at holding a curl. I'm truly impressed, because whenever I've tried any other mascara base, I've been very disappointed, so I haven't strayed from Shiseido for several years now. I'm shocked that this is every bit as good as Shiseido, and actually a lot more volumizing, to boot. I don't know how much this costs in Asia, but it's available for $12 USD on adambeauty.com, whereas Shiseido's mascara base is $22. Huge rave!

Top Rated Kanebo Products