Kanebo kate mascara base

4.4

I love this product!!! Only thing is that it doen't volumize. Other than that, it holds a curl all day and lengthen my lashes. It's not that easy to remove, but all i use is a little warm water and facewash, and it's off.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

So, after reading several reviews on MUA, I decided to give this baby a try. I ordered this from an eBay seller in Taiwan. From what I can tell, the item is genuine, comparing it to several pictures of it on the web. For about 10, it wasn't a bad deal.

The folks in Japan surely love their packaging. The most difficult thing about the Kate Mascara Base was to remove it from it's box! But after a lot of pulling and snipping, I removed the wand, which looks elegant and classy. The design is very beautiful, but given that the wand is square and not round, it doesn't lie in your hand too well.

Now to the product itself... The base is EXTREMELY fibrous. I've never seen a larger amount of fibers in any mascara before. You have to remove them from the brush carefully or all of it ends up on your lashes and leaves a clumpy mess.

The main reason I bought this was because I'm tired of waterproof mascaras, which, whilst being difficult to remove, are the only ones that hold a curl for the whole day. I was shedding eyelashes after Kiss Me Heroine Volume & Curl big time. Even though the mascara is flawless, the removal puts too much stress on my lashes and makes them fall out.

So, does the Kate Mascara Base hold a curl? Check! Does it hold it the whole day? Check! Is it easy to remove? ...Well, almost. It is easier to remove than most waterproof mascaras, but it isn't a walk in the park, either. There is some vigorous rubbing with soap or makeup remover involved if you want to get it all off. Does it lengthen my lashes? Like crazy. If you want ridiculous lengths, I suggest pairing it up with Kanebo's 38*C Silk Performance (Separating & Lengthening). My lashes touch my eyebrows with ease after curling them and using these products. But, as far as I can see, the Kate Mascara Base doesn't volumize at all. But that's what the mascara afterward should be for, anyway.

Now, some people here are commenting on how this base dries, and one or two posters mentioned that it leaves a white cast even after applying mascara. The Kate Mascara Base dries clearly on me, with only the fibers attached on the tips of your lashes remaining white. Whilst it is tricky to paint some of the more curiously positioned fibers black (or whatever other colour you use) with mascara afterward, they should not leave a cast when done properly!

Overall, it is a very good product. I never used any mascara bases before, so I can't really compare how they fare. The only gripe I have with this is that it isn't very easy to remove and that the application can be fussy and tricky. Other than that, thumbs up.

I really anticipated this based on reviews, but found it mediocre. I was blessed with great lashes, long and black, and can make them look crazy thick and long with good mascaras. This, however, left them looking ... just sort of average. After making it face off against my usual Shiseido mascara base, I confirmed that it really wasn't doing the job I'd become accustomed to. Maybe it works well on different kind of lashes, I don't know. But I won't be repurchasing.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is my first mascara base. I'm really liking it. It adds length, volume, and shine to lashes. With the same mascara, I can definitely tell a difference with and without this base. there are little fibers inside for length. i've had no issues using the fibers with contact lenses. the mascara is clear on lashes. i have straight asian lashes and no North American brand mascaras i've tried hold curls. This holds curls all day!!! the packaging is elegant and the price is reasonable (i bought mine for USD$12.50+shipping).

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I have thin and short straight lashes and hard to curl. And, this is the best product I have found so far that keeps my stubborn lashes lifted and curled throughout the day. This mascara base offers more volume, more length and more curl.

This mascara base is absolute MAGIC! I've always been a skeptic when it comes to the effectiveness of a mascara base. They're usually adequate, but nothing to write home about. Kate mascara base has made a believer out of me. Kate is the first base mascara I've ever used that doesn't straighten freshly curled lashes. Not only does it keep my curl intact, it actually reinforces the curl so that it holds after the application of mascara. Amazing! I've never been so excited about a cosmetic product. This is a must-have for every asian girl's makeup bag. It comes in a sleek, white, rectangular tube and the product is clear gel with little fibers mixed in it. I found mine for about $14 on eBay, which I think is a steal for what it does.

Just to clarify, I know of at least two versions of this product. I think that the older version comes in a white circular tube and the mascara base itself is white. The one that I have comes in a white rectangular tube and the cap is transparent black. The mascara base is mostly transparent, though it contains white colored fibers.

Like the reviewer before me, I was looking for a cheaper replacement for my beloved Shiseido mascara base. I'm just as happy with the Kate! It holds the curl just as well, if not better, which is my number one priority. But while the Shiseido tended to fatten up my lashes, the Kate feels lighter on and it lengthens them noticeably. So if you want volume, go with Shiseido; if you want length, go with Kate.

Both of them can be stubborn when it comes to washing them off. If you're like me and wary of fibers because they can fall off and irritate the eyes, there's no need to worry about that with Kate. The fibers stick remarkably well to your lashes, almost too well: I need a dab of Ponds cold cream to remove them easily and gently. From now on I'll go with whichever of the two happens to be more affordable. Love 'em both!

This product is amazing. I have gone through 2 tubes of Shiseido mascara base which is a good product but now that I've met Kate, goodbye Shiseido. It's cheaper and works better. Even if it was the same price as Shiseido I would choose this one as it's half the price (I get it on ebay shipped from Asia) but the fact that it works even better... I've never seen my eyelashes like this before. It's moments like this that makes all this makeup researching worthwhile!! Thank you MUA!!

*Click on "Continued>>" to view pics / full review*

Product Description:

Any Japanese Whiz care to translate the above statement? :D

Actual Product Pic:

The Packaging it came in

The actual tube :) hmmm... it does look a little different from the one on the website.

Ingredients:

Anybody care to translate this? :D

The Applicator:

Swatch:

See how long it makes my eyelashes? :D

My Review:

This highly raved mascara base does deliver!! It made my lashes both fuller and longer. This stuff is fragrance free - which is great for me. i don't know why most mascaras smell so funky! It goes on smoothly so you can decide how many layers you wanna pile on to achieve the desired effect. You can't beat the price either!! :) The downside is, it does clump a little if you use it with a volumizing mascara. Yuck!

Pictures to proof:

Bare Eye:

Without Kate Mascara Base (Used ZA Cutie Curl Volume):

With Kate Mascara Base + ZA Cutie Curl Volume:

A whole world of difference right? i don't like how clumpy it is though... will try it with a lenghtening mascara instead of a volumizing one and see if this improves.

In a Nutshell:
A drugstore product that delivers!! :)

Likes: Lengthens and Volumizes very well, fragrance free, ease of application, Price!!
Gripes: Clumps when used with a volumizing mascara :P

Rating: 4 Stars ! Near HG Stuff!! :) continued >>

the best mascara primer out there.. i had to order mine from ebay, which came from Hong Kong, and i am glad i finally did. it was relatively cheap, even though it came from overseas. this was cheaper than most primers at Sephora..
it gives me beautiful long thick eyelashes, and looks even better when i am wearing my colored contacts.. it is a little hard to remove, but i will definately be repurchasing soon.. definately my HG primer..

Popular Mascaras