April 19, 2014 | 1874 users online

Styling Products - cornstarch

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2012 4:50:00 PM More reviews by amnahp12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

.....I cannot for the life of me understand why so many people refuse to check the ingredients, try something new, and not keep getting duped out of loads of cash to put chemicals on their skin. I can continue on this rant, but all I wanted to say was that cornstarch makes an EXCELLENT setting powder.

Use lightly to avoid a white cast - it mattifies your face without drying it out beautifully and lasts all day. Many setting powders are actually cornstarch based, OR talc-based ....which you want to avoid! Avoid like the plague! But the industry ignores the hazards of toxic chemicals - which EVERY non-natural beauty product contains - because they don't have to care, and as long as you're paying to damage your skin and body and health, you'll be paying more to those same companies in the attempt to fix the damage [and further ruining it]. Cornstarch is so silky smooth and fine and luxurious feeling. If it bothers you, put it in a pretty sifter/package and pretend you paid an obscene amount of money for it.

9 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2012 10:40:00 AM More reviews by DuchessofGrapes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Another unsung hero that isn't as well known as it should be. Corn starch is used in so many products and people don't even realize it. I use it in my homemade deodorant, homemade powder sunscreen, and as a setting powder. And of course it's great for cooking. And cheap as dirt. I personally don't like putting anything on my skin that I can't eat since the skin is so absorbent. It might not make an actual difference, but I've felt such a difference after making that change. I'm really glad that I've found another multi-purpose product that has so many uses in different areas of daily life. Another great product all around.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/9/2012 11:53:00 PM More reviews by anaelleee

I recently discovered that one of my natural pressed powders' second main ingredient was CORN STARCH. So I had a crazy idea of trying the cornstarch in my cupboards at home. Imagine how surprised I was to find others that have already tried it, and gosh, maybe Im not so crazy after all ;P

Since corn starch is white, I would suggest those with darker skin to use a very light hand when applying, or to stay away from it. I have NC20 skin for reference, and if I over-apply, it will make me look a bit unaturally pale. However, thumbs up for the fact that it doesnt give a white cast in photos and is Natural! :)

I have combo skin, and even when Im just at home, after a while my T-zone will get a bit oily, so I just use a bit of this, especially in the afternoon when I get home from school. I wash off all my makeup and dust a bit on my T-zone to mattify my face. I do need to "touch-up" after a few hours, even at home doing nothing major, but thats alright since im not putting any harmful chemicals on my face :)

I dont know if itll work for you, but it certainly doesnt hurt to try :) Have fun and Good Luck!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/28/2011 9:14:00 AM More reviews by shira81

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been using it for almost a year and I started using it because I couldn't find a powder pale enough, even the so called translucent ones turns orange when put on skin, anyhow I tried cornstarch and it does work wonders, no color, smooth skin and when I sweat it absorbs it. Now I don't know how good it is for the skin but what makeup is... I started thinking that maybe it'll absorb my skins natural moisture and leave me dry and wrinkly... But I need it for those days when my face feel greasy from sunscreen or what have you.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2011 10:26:00 AM More reviews by I_Smell

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Ok, you're probably not going to believe this, and I don't blame you for being just as skeptical as I was when I read the raves. But... this cheap a** product manages to keep my face more matt than *any* loose or pressed powder I've ever used. Ever. And it's all natural and fragrance free.
I always use a setting powder to set my foundation. Normally I have to blot and re-apply every 2-3 hours because my combo skin gets very shiny in the T-zone. This occurs winter and summer, whether I'm very active or not at all. I mainly blame my sunscreen, because I don't get half as shiny when I don't wear any.
Today it was 23C (73F) and ridiculously humid (92% relative humidity!) and I only needed to blot and re-apply after I had been working out. By then my make up had been applied 6 hours ago! Seriously, no powder has ever been half as effective in keeping me matte. For reference: I wear La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL Extreme Fluid SPF 50+ Sunscreen, followed by Maybelline Superstay Liquid Concealer and Foundation, alternated by Maybelline Dream Satin Liquid foundation.
I have transferred some cornstarch into a clean pepper shaker, lol, and this is how I use it: the pepper shaker enables me to dispense as little as possible into a tall bowl. I pick it up with a large flat top powder brush, making sure I work it into the bristles very well. I tap off the excess, twirl to distribute it evenly, dip and twirl again, shake off again. I lightly dust it onto my whole face, alternating between gently stroking and tapping. Then, again with minimal pressure, I buff off the excess with a large soft kabuki brush. And voila, no white cast: it goes on pretty much translucent (I do have light skin though). No cakeyness either: just a matte, polished face. The process is a bit messy though, like most extremely fine milled loose powders. But for something this effective I'm more than happy to overlook that. And you could always keep some in a sifter jar, or even a rotating sifter jar. Those have a rotating cover for the sifter to prevent spilling. Coastal Scents has them, for instance (not affiliated): http://www.coastalscents.com/make-your-own-1/packaging/sj-c-30.html, or just Google it.
Last, but not least: should corn starch leave your face whitish, maybe you could try to mix it with a regular loose face powder? It will probably still give you the benefits of the starch, minus the white cast? Worth a try, I say. :-)
Oh my, to think I payed so much money for products that didn't even work that well. I'll never by another powder again in my life.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/19/2011 5:19:00 PM More reviews by dsmac085

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I just started using cornstarch at the roots of my hair as I'm hot natured and can't stand my hair getting all sweaty and moist. This is a great way to wick away moisture. I use it with a powder puff at the nape of my neck and under my breasts/in cleavage when the weather is hot and humid as well.

If you read the label for Bare Escentuals Mineral Veil, the first ingredient is corn starch. If you tap a bit of your mineral foundation into an empty Mineral Veil container and mix it with cornstarch, you should have the slightly tinted effect of the mineral veil for a much more reasonable price.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/9/2011 6:53:00 PM More reviews by lightsout91

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I wish I had found out about this technique when the weather was 100+ degrees! Cornstarch makes my face ALMOST completely matte. It's not quite the finish I was hoping for when I first used it, but the way it controlled my very oily skin from going into "gulf spill" territory is amazing. The only negative thing is that if I use even the tiniest bit too much, then it dries my skin out to the point where it kind of hurts. And unfortunately I don't think this works for darker complexions, it borders on whitening for my olive skin. So I think I will only use this on super summery/humid days, but now that autumn is approaching I don't think there's a need for me to use this!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2011 10:20:00 PM More reviews by Theaflower

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Ok calling all oily skinned gals young and old!! This is AMAZING!! I used a cornstarch baby powder by Belli as a setting powder over my foundation and will never use anything but a cornstarch powder to set my foundation again. SERIOUSLY, lovely and amazing! If you are oily you must try this...I used a cornstarch based baby powder on my face AND COULDN'T be happier with the results....LOVE! PS I have used many powders and this is as good as it comes and for pennies!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2011 9:02:00 PM More reviews by michyy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

oh my lordy.
cornstarch.. i have a big box at home just sitting there, lifelessly.
until i found out that you can use this as setting powder..
THIS IS AMAZING.
i have oily skin. and this keeps my face pretty damn matte throughout the day! I wear glasses and usually without cornstarch, my glasses touch the oil and it just feels gross! but when i have cornstarch on my face, my face is so matte. i use this with Elf's bronzing brush, i dont care that its not intended for powder! it works! haha!

i pat my brush onto the cornstarch, and tap it to get off a lot of excess. then I brush it onto my oil-iest places- nose, chin, forehead. then brush the rest on cheeks and such. the trick is to NOT dip your brush in too much or you'll get cakey.

i love this so much. i feel bad for everyone that spends 20$ on powders from mac, or whatever when they could simply use cornstarch for less than 5$ for a million years!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2011 12:05:00 PM More reviews by gingersparkles

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Perfect setting powder.
I apply with a fluffy brush to set my foundation. I do follow is with a setting spray so it never gets powdery through the day.
It is all natural and dirt cheap, what more can you ask for?

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No