September 2, 2014 | 1002 users online

Styling Products - cornstarch

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2012 12:08:00 PM More reviews by kpow

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Well, I have officially gone the uber granola route with skincare in hopes that my late thirty year old skin will stop erupting and my giant pores will look, if not smaller, then at least clearer. After much research I have decided upon the simple routine of using a diluted ACV mixture all over my face then using cold-pressed, unrefined coconut oil over that and now, thanks to all the MUAers I have also incorporated cornstarch into the mix. And so far so good! As for makeup I use some concealer on pesky spots and under eye issues and I mixed up some cornstarch with cocoa powder (for a not-so-geisha look) and behold I have beautiful skin even in daylight! Seriously, where did my pores go? Awesome!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/1/2012 3:38:00 PM More reviews by girlygirl3047

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Guess what, if you have dark hair you can also use the cocoa corn starch combo as a dry shampoo. Works great!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2012 6:43:00 PM More reviews by monicaandree

Let me just add my raves to this idea and say that I never would have even thought to try something like this if it wasn't for MUA! I blended a couple tablespoons of cornstarch with about a half teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder and used a large bronzer brush to apply. I just dipped the brush into the small tupperware bowl I used to mix it in, tapped off the excess, and brushed it on my bare skin just to get an idea of how well it works. Here are the pros:

1. applies easily, no chalkiness or settling into fine lines and pores
2. a light chocolate smell...much more pleasant than the heavily perfumed smells of most powders.
3. antioxidants in the cocoa powder.
4. instantly mattifying
5. all-natural and CHEAP! A box of cornstarch is rarely more than $1 and will last well over a year.
6. translucent (when applied lightly)

Cons
You'll have to find a suitable container for this. I didn't have any used powder containers lying around as I am a neat freak, so I am just using a tupperware bowl with a lid.

Also, this can get messy if you aren't careful. But then again, so can most powders.

I am really happy I tried this and doubt I will be purchasing loose powder again for a very long time!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2012 11:11:00 PM More reviews by alanec

Omg. I don't know why I never tried this before.

I have very pale skin with pinkish undertones, so it's near impossible to find a foundation in my shade. Also, I only need something to even out my skin tone (slight acne scars and discoloration, along with some dark circles). I followed one girl's advice on this thread and mixed corn starch with a slight amount of unsweetened cocoa powder (very thoroughly), and just, wow. I'll list the pros/cons here:

Benefits:
-You can't tell you're wearing anything
-You're face feels smooth and natural
-It leaves you with a slight chocolate scent
-It's dirt cheap-I have enough product to last me for at least a year
-It evens out your skin tone beautifully

Downsides:
-You only need a tiny amount of the cornstarch/cocoa powder mixture, or else your face will be left looking a little powdery
-I wouldn't recommend this as a foundation if you need a heavy foundation or to cover up, unless you set with a primer before applying the mixture first.

Basically, I don't know why I paid so much money for makeup when the answer was in my kitchen cupboard all along. It's absolutely wonderful, and I highly recommend that you try it. ;)

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2012 8:07:00 PM More reviews by CoolerBeans

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

RE: Cornstarch + Unsweetened Cocoa

OK...this sounds really nuts but for years and years I've been using a $40/small bottle mineral powder foundation. I have it in several tones which can be mixed. I also have oily skin - that I thought would dry up now that I'm almost (cough, gag) 50. I never use liquid/cream foundation.

I read somewhere that a gal who was into homesteading, etc. had mixed up cornstart + unsweetened cocoa (for color) for use as powder make-up. I thought, "Well, cocoa is an antioxidant..." and I thought I'd give it a try.

OMG! I love it. I mixed up just enough unsweetened cocoa to match my skin tone and it looks great. I use a big fluffy brush to apply this mixture (as used for the mineral foundation) and polish until the excess is removed.

I still like my mineral powder as it adds an interesting tone/sheen. But a base of the corn start + cocoa mixture keeps the shine away and I love how my skin feels. I need a "blot" once per day (afternoon) instead of 3-4-5 times a day. Here it is 8 p.m. and after a little blot - my skin doesn't feel make me feel like I'm desperate to wash it.

Sounds crazy - but give it a try. God love this woman whoever she is. My oily skin is managed + I can stretch the mineral powder make-up. Thanks for reading this and I hope it helps someone else!

20 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/1/2012 3:31:00 PM More reviews by dtormon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Black

It does a pretty good job at keeping oil at bay, but be careful because a little too much will leave a white cast and dry your skin out.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2012 5:41:00 PM More reviews by LadyClaudia

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I can't believe I would find a great setting powder in the baking section of Walmart for $1. It's great at setting foundation and keeping you matte for a few hours. If you use too much, then it leaves you looking like a vampire, so I just use a little on my T-zone and my undereyes. Why bother spending more money on a setting powder with a long list of ingredients, when you can buy a cheap powder with only one ingredient: cornstarch? :)

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2012 4:50:00 PM More reviews by amnahp12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

.....I cannot for the life of me understand why so many people refuse to check the ingredients, try something new, and not keep getting duped out of loads of cash to put chemicals on their skin. I can continue on this rant, but all I wanted to say was that cornstarch makes an EXCELLENT setting powder.

Use lightly to avoid a white cast - it mattifies your face without drying it out beautifully and lasts all day. Many setting powders are actually cornstarch based, OR talc-based ....which you want to avoid! Avoid like the plague! But the industry ignores the hazards of toxic chemicals - which EVERY non-natural beauty product contains - because they don't have to care, and as long as you're paying to damage your skin and body and health, you'll be paying more to those same companies in the attempt to fix the damage [and further ruining it]. Cornstarch is so silky smooth and fine and luxurious feeling. If it bothers you, put it in a pretty sifter/package and pretend you paid an obscene amount of money for it.

9 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2012 10:40:00 AM More reviews by DuchessofGrapes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Another unsung hero that isn't as well known as it should be. Corn starch is used in so many products and people don't even realize it. I use it in my homemade deodorant, homemade powder sunscreen, and as a setting powder. And of course it's great for cooking. And cheap as dirt. I personally don't like putting anything on my skin that I can't eat since the skin is so absorbent. It might not make an actual difference, but I've felt such a difference after making that change. I'm really glad that I've found another multi-purpose product that has so many uses in different areas of daily life. Another great product all around.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/9/2012 11:53:00 PM More reviews by anaelleee

I recently discovered that one of my natural pressed powders' second main ingredient was CORN STARCH. So I had a crazy idea of trying the cornstarch in my cupboards at home. Imagine how surprised I was to find others that have already tried it, and gosh, maybe Im not so crazy after all ;P

Since corn starch is white, I would suggest those with darker skin to use a very light hand when applying, or to stay away from it. I have NC20 skin for reference, and if I over-apply, it will make me look a bit unaturally pale. However, thumbs up for the fact that it doesnt give a white cast in photos and is Natural! :)

I have combo skin, and even when Im just at home, after a while my T-zone will get a bit oily, so I just use a bit of this, especially in the afternoon when I get home from school. I wash off all my makeup and dust a bit on my T-zone to mattify my face. I do need to "touch-up" after a few hours, even at home doing nothing major, but thats alright since im not putting any harmful chemicals on my face :)

I dont know if itll work for you, but it certainly doesnt hurt to try :) Have fun and Good Luck!