September 22, 2014 | 1764 users online

Dry Shampoo - Cornstarch as Dry Shampoo

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 9/19/2011 5:19:00 PM More reviews by dsmac085

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I just started using cornstarch at the roots of my hair as I'm hot natured and can't stand my hair getting all sweaty and moist. This is a great way to wick away moisture. I use it with a powder puff at the nape of my neck and under my breasts/in cleavage when the weather is hot and humid as well.

If you read the label for Bare Escentuals Mineral Veil, the first ingredient is corn starch. If you tap a bit of your mineral foundation into an empty Mineral Veil container and mix it with cornstarch, you should have the slightly tinted effect of the mineral veil for a much more reasonable price.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/9/2011 6:53:00 PM More reviews by lightsout91

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I wish I had found out about this technique when the weather was 100+ degrees! Cornstarch makes my face ALMOST completely matte. It's not quite the finish I was hoping for when I first used it, but the way it controlled my very oily skin from going into "gulf spill" territory is amazing. The only negative thing is that if I use even the tiniest bit too much, then it dries my skin out to the point where it kind of hurts. And unfortunately I don't think this works for darker complexions, it borders on whitening for my olive skin. So I think I will only use this on super summery/humid days, but now that autumn is approaching I don't think there's a need for me to use this!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2011 10:20:00 PM More reviews by Theaflower

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Ok calling all oily skinned gals young and old!! This is AMAZING!! I used a cornstarch baby powder by Belli as a setting powder over my foundation and will never use anything but a cornstarch powder to set my foundation again. SERIOUSLY, lovely and amazing! If you are oily you must try this...I used a cornstarch based baby powder on my face AND COULDN'T be happier with the results....LOVE! PS I have used many powders and this is as good as it comes and for pennies!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2011 9:02:00 PM More reviews by michyy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

oh my lordy.
cornstarch.. i have a big box at home just sitting there, lifelessly.
until i found out that you can use this as setting powder..
THIS IS AMAZING.
i have oily skin. and this keeps my face pretty damn matte throughout the day! I wear glasses and usually without cornstarch, my glasses touch the oil and it just feels gross! but when i have cornstarch on my face, my face is so matte. i use this with Elf's bronzing brush, i dont care that its not intended for powder! it works! haha!

i pat my brush onto the cornstarch, and tap it to get off a lot of excess. then I brush it onto my oil-iest places- nose, chin, forehead. then brush the rest on cheeks and such. the trick is to NOT dip your brush in too much or you'll get cakey.

i love this so much. i feel bad for everyone that spends 20$ on powders from mac, or whatever when they could simply use cornstarch for less than 5$ for a million years!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2011 12:05:00 PM More reviews by gingersparkles

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Perfect setting powder.
I apply with a fluffy brush to set my foundation. I do follow is with a setting spray so it never gets powdery through the day.
It is all natural and dirt cheap, what more can you ask for?

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/24/2011 1:59:00 AM More reviews by Beansforyou

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i've been using this for my hair and face for the past year or so. I mixed a bit with a compact powder (usually when I am down to the last bit of my powder foundation around the rim) and apply to face.

I find that if I used it by itself, it is too white. Also, it tends to puff up and powder out through out the day ...hard to explain, but it's like I think it was applied, but when I sweat later in the day, it reverts to a powder, so i have little small patches of powder on my face..

Overall not a bad option for your face though..A little goes along way! I've used alot in the past (wet it, and applied it wet)-and althougth the wet option works well to keep wet faces dry, it also made me break out badly.

As for the hair, I place it directly on my scalp over the oily parts, and it does wonders making my hair look much better..as well as acting as a lifter at the roots :) it almost doubles my hair volume, so i can't complain

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2010 2:31:00 PM More reviews by rastaxcore

I was mad at my MUFE HD powder one day -- if my foundation is a smidge too yellow, it makes me look like an albino Snookie to put the MUFE over it. Not with cornstarch. Same ability to lock foundation onto your skin, applies as smoothly although leaves a bit thicker of a film than the MUFE. Maybe or maybe not so great for girls with darker complexions but if you're medium to light skinned this is a great way to mattify and set your foundation without blowing $30+ at Sephora.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2010 3:24:00 AM More reviews by Starberri

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

The natural and cheap way to set your makeup and keep oiliness at bay! Dirt cheap, but you will need to get some sort of container to put it in. I use just a touch on a big fluffy brush and I'm set for the day.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2010 11:42:00 AM More reviews by bran888

Where has this stuff been all of my life? Apparently in the kitchen...I have oily skin that I have to blot at least once but up to 3 times per day, and oily hair that is good for the day I wash it, but then oily the next morning (and by oily, I mean quite noticeably so).

A couple of hairdressers have told me that I really shouldn't wash my hair everyday...I guess that's true since though my roots get very oily, the rest of my hair can get frizzy and dry-ish, esp. the ends. I tried an expensive dry shampoo (oscar blandi)...and I'm not sure if I didn't use enough, but it didn't seem to do anything at all.

I read online that cornstarch (aka unscented baby powder) is a great oil absorber. My face was feeling pretty oily, so I used just the tiniest bit on a powder brush, and wow, my skin was completely matte (but smooth and not dry)....awesome. I decided to try it as a dry shampoo. Just to warn you, I used this this morning, so I can't comment on lasting power. However, it works! I have medium/dark brown hair, so after reading up on DIY dry shampoos, I mixed about half and half organic unsweetened cocoa powder and cornstarch, to avoid the white cast. Don't get me wrong, it's still light going in, but as soon as I massage it into my scalp, you can't see it at all. I used a makeup brush to apply a little bit at a time to my scalp area and massaged it in (I ended up using more than I thought I would, but I'm quite oily). After a few minutes, I ran a brush through my hair, then touched up my front part with a little of my dry shampoo (rubbing it in), and my hair looks great. It actually feels relatively good too. I enjoy the smell of cocoa, but I only really smelled it when I was putting the shampoo on, not afterwards. I'm almost positive that I'll need to wash my hair in the shower tomorrow, but if my hair stays looking and feeling good all day, I will call this a major success.

Edit: end of the day update. As a mattifying face powder, this is amazing!! my face has been shine free all day, and feels smooth. As a dry shampoo, I think it could definitely work for those who are not too too greasy. For me, it kept my hair looking decent for a half day, then i reapplied and it looks ok...definitely better than it would look otherwise, but also not freshly washed. I think this will work well for a going out hair touch up if I wash my hair in the morning and don't want to do it a second time...but to make it through a whole day without washing...I might give it another try, we'll see.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2010 4:52:00 AM More reviews by devlynaskurt

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

i use cornstarch to degrease my hair on those mornings when i've slept in too long. i put some in an old laura mercier loose powder container and apply lightly to my roots using an old cheap kabuki. i then brush it out. at this point, i usually tease my bangs and crown a bit then pin my bangs back or add hairspray and put my hair up in a twist. i sometimes spritz a bit of body spray on my hair post cornstarch to help w/scent. strangely enough, my hair is most likely to be complimented on a day I've used cornstarch. my default clean hair style is to wear my very dark brown, mid-back length, lightly wavy & fine yet copious hair with bangs & layers around my face--yawn city, style-wise..

anyway, at the end of the day, my cornstarched hair still looks fairly decent, though I definitely have to shampoo twice to get the oil plus powder out of my hair.

wish i could remember where i learned the kabuki brush trick--read it somewhere online but i am fairly sure twas not on MUA. a great many thanks to whoever posted that comment!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No