MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

3.5

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

This foundation gets alot of heat because people say MAC makeup breaks them out, but I haven't had that experience at all. I LOVE this foundation, like its HG status for me. The coverage is amazing and I love MAC color matching system for my skin and undertones. I cannot be without this foundation especially for a night out, but in my opinion, it is too heavy for day time wear. I wear this when I have an event to attend where I know I will be taking pictures and need that flawless finish.

I bought this aproximatelly 4 years ago in the shade NC35, which is nice and yellow, and it didn't oxidize. I used it until the very end, so I definitely put it to test throughout a few years. I only wore foundation on weekends, and you don't need much, so it lasted forever.
At the time, my skin type was oily/very oily. There were also no such things as primers and I didn't use facial moisturisers, so my skin was always bare before applying this.

The packaging is a thick glass bottle which comes without a pump (you can buy one separately, which I think is absurd). I bought the damn pump and it broke after a few months. The lack of pump makes it a bit trickier to use, but nothing that bothers me tremendously.

The smell is disgusting. It's chemical and pungeant. When I first used it, I thought there was something wrong and that maybe it was expired, but I read many complaints about it, so I guess it's "normal".

Consistency is quite thick but very blendable. It doesn't dry super fast, so you get a nice amount of playtime. I would blend it either with my fingers or a round dense kabuki brush. It glides on to the skin effortlessly and doesn't take too long to set.

After it sets, it has a luminous matte finish, which means it's not a flat matte but rather red carpet appropriate (if that makes any sense lol). It's high coverage and it hides imperfections beautifully. Because it's thick and high coverage, it looks quite obvious on the skin. It's the kind of foundation most would call 'night time appropriate', as it doesn't look natural whatsoever.

One of the things I dislike the most about it is that I could feel it on my face. I could feel that heavy layer of product, and it made me crazy to use it for too long. I would feel dirty and gross, even if I wasn't that oily, and I would get the urge to wash it all off. This is the main reason I wouldn't repurchase this and why I don't want to buy Revlon's Colorstay for oily skin, which it's said to be a dupe.

It also transfers considerably. I know this because I had a boyfriend at the time and I had to be very careful even while hugging him. That's something that occurs naturally to this foundation, but the problem gets SO MUCH WORSE once you start to get oily and sweaty. It's a horrendous mess. Not to mention embarrassing. Therefore, it needs to be set with powder no matter your skin type, in order to minimize (I said minimize) the problem.

That being said, I found it lasted really well throughout the day, even with the transferring (probably because of the thickness). If you have problematic skin, I suppose the blemishes would slowly show up if the foundation transferred somewhere, but my skin still looked pretty good by the end of the day. I believe I generally used it for 7 hours each time.

Being long wearing doesn't necessarily mean controlling your oils, and that's true with this foundation. I found that it did control my oils, but not so much compared to others I've tried.

This broke me out a little bit every time I used it. I'm not sure if it's the spf in it (which flashes back, if I'm not mistaken) or just the weird stuff MAC puts in their products, because I also break out from Studio Finish Concealer and, apparentely, from Face and Body. It was something I could deal with, because I didn't use it so frequently.

In conclusion: I'd recommend this if you're combination, normal or oily. If you're dry, I couldn't tell you how it would behave on your skin. If you're very oily, I personally don't believe this is the way to go. Not only there are other foundations out there that would control your oils better, but also would keep you feeling clean and fresh for longer (I recommend the Mary Kay foundations for oily skin, they're superb for oil control. No, I'm not a MK seller). If you're acne prone, skip it. In fact, skip MAC's face products in general - they're known for causing breakouts. If you're looking for a foundation to go out at night, and to look flawless and somewhat photoshopped, this is a good one! Unless you're a face toucher or intends to dance/sweat/be photographed.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I wanted to try a high end make up brand, so I decided to try the MAC Studio Fix Liquid Foundation after googling some pictures (should of googled the reviews beforehand aswell!)

Though it did smell like paint, I liked the coverage it gave me, however I did notice it can get a bit cakey if you over apply and made my skin feel like clay.
I also used the MAC Primer which is a great to keep your skin hydrated and I would recommend to use this primer if you choose to wear this foundation otherwise I could see it drying out your skin.

After three days of using this product my skin broke out like crazy, (never breaks out)
I'll rate this product 2 out of 5 based on my experience.

I think you'd be quiet lucky if your skin didn't break out while using this foundation and enjoyed the full coverage and don't mind a heavy feeling.

Nothing worse buying an expensive make up to realize after less than a week it doesn't suit your skin.

I've used this for a few years but no more I was looking bad and patchy in pics and came to the conclusion this foundation is why. It wears off fast and leaves dark patches on my forehead its noticable in pics it is not a good foundation and the mac concealers are just as bad and summertime this foundation has my face looking like a grease pit and this foundation transfers onto everything I am using maybelline fit me in 240 golden beige its a better match and doesn't fade like this studio fix does btw i am an nc 40 in this mac foundation and i think i need nc42 because the mac makes my face look pale and gives it an old lady look as it fades idk but this has brought my self esteem down when i look at pics wearing it.

Finally bought this for the first time about a month and a half ago. I have been using the Studio Fix powder for approximately 5 years now. I was getting bored of the Kat Von D lock it tattoo foundation, so I felt it was time to try a new one.

Well.. They are extremely similar, lol. It is pretty thick, I definitely suggest getting the pump, I didn't want to pay for it so I didn't get it, lol. But I would suggest it. It also smells strongly of paint like the Kat Von D one, but it has amazing coverage, and the scent settles once it is on your skin.

As many know, MAC has an amazing shade range. I am really impressed with the foundation, it provided me great coverage. I apply it with a damp beauty blender.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Nice packaging but smells like paint. This was one of the first foundations I ever tried and I'd never even be tempted to repurchase. It clings to dry patches that I never even knew existed!!!! The colour of the foundation was matched to my skin tone in the store by a Mac professional yet after a couple of days when I tried it on at home it was far too yellow for my complexion. I find this a highly over hyped and priced foundation. If your skin is dry like mine don't bother with this foundation, try Mac's face and body or chanel's perfection lumiere for more coverage.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

So far probably the best foundation I have tried. The oil control is good enough (I still need to blot throughout the day), you can also powder and doesn't look cakey. It didn't cause me any breakouts (surprisingly, considering this is a heavy coverage foundation), and overall has good staying power.
What I don't like about this is the coverage - it's really heavy, and I prefer medium coverage foundations which look more natural, but all the other ones tend to fade away throughout the day. Another thing I hate are the shades. I have tried all the lightest shades and the closest match I found is the NW10, but it makes my skin look incredibly dull and ashy. It does oxidize - by the end of the day it looks one she darker.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

So!!! I am the type of person who will try a million foundations out and always keep looking for more no matter what, but I have to say that I was extremely impressed with this foundation! I have weird skin, sometimes I'm oily in my Tzone, sometimes i have dry patches, & sometimes my face breaks out and this foundation made me feel flawless!
I defiantly think that this product is worth it! Don't be afraid to ask for samples as well!
xoxo <3

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Ok, So my skin type is so weird. I feel like it is EXTREMELY oily yet it can get dry and on the tip of my nose get cakey. That being said this is my second day with this foundation. I am in the shade NC25 which was a perfect match for me because I am kind of pale with a Yellow undertone(Dominican, Bolivian, Guatemalan). For moisturizer I use the Murad Mattifier which is pretty pricey about $40.00 but well worth the price. I use it about everyday and the little bottle lasts me at least 2 months. I used to use the Loreal Infallible Pro Matte which I thought was my god send. For the first few hours it looked amazing but after lunch time and a little powder touch up it was definitely cakey and by the end of the day came completely off(used with Rimmel Stay Matte Primer). So I decided to give MAC a try, mind you I have NEVER been in a Mac store. So I ended up going in there for the Prolong wear however the beauty consultant tried both on me and I liked the finish of the Studio Fix much better and she let me know that this foundation would keep me Matte throughout the day. I looked up so many reviews about this product and the one thing I kept hearing people complain about was the smell. People, it is not that big of a deal! Yes it had I feel like a typical foundation smell but not bad enough to the point where I would not buy it. Anyways, so I apply this foundation with my Murad moisturizer and MAC prep + prime Viage and Visage whatever it's called. I would say this is definitely a medium coverage however it is very buildable. With about 2 coats I was able to get the almost full coverage face I was looking for. The finish is absolutely beautiful but I will say after about 5 hours my face was semi-oily not too bad and it was mainly in my nose and cheeks. What I ended up loving about this product and why I will repurchase is that I used my Clean N Clear oil absorbing wipes, dabbed the oil off and my face looks just like it did when I applied my make up. With the Loreal it would look disgusting and would pretty much come off. So, overall doesn't keep you 100% matte, I would say 75%-80% but with a little oil absorbing wipe you can get that flawless looks back. Now let's see what it will look like after 10 hours of wear ;-)

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This foundation is very thick and cakey so it should stay on a lot longer than it actually does. I found that after a few hours it would start to go patchy and sink into dry patches on my skin even when i had applied primer and setting powder. The shade was also completely off, i was matched to NW25 in the mac store and it made me far too orange looking!! My skin tone is more of a neutral and i prefer to wear cool toned makeup as i self tan, i told the mac worker this but she said the NW25 was perfect. Ive now realised that i should have been matched to NC20/25 but even with the right shade i would not purchase this foundation again, it only lasted me around 3 months which i would not expect from a high end brand, i have many foundations from drugstore that last much longer. Also it completely broke me out, the thick cakey consistency of the product completely blocks the pores and is very hard to remove. Lastly, the bottle does not contain a pump, meaning it is very difficult and messy to get the product out and then its difficult to get the remaining liquid out when the product is nearly finished which is a complete waste