July 22, 2014 | 1117 users online

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2012 11:45:00 AM More reviews by ExpatBeauty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

* Product - Avène Cicalfate

* Product Claims - A skin restorative / repair cream that helps to speed the skin healing recovery process with anti-bacterial and healing properties. It can be used to help the skin heal from minor skin injuries such as cuts, scrapes, scratches, burns, cracked skin, chapping, abrasions, and post-treatment procedures such laser treatment, microdermabrasion, peeling, hair removal, tattoos, body piercing, etc.

* Review - In France, healing creams known as “les crèmes cicatrisantes” are very popular as they are creams that are meant to treat the healing of injured skin tissue. The most popular here are Cicalfate (cream) by Avène and Cicaplast (ointment) by La Roche-Posay. Both contain zinc oxide are commonly recommended to treat mild to moderate skin irritations. I tested both in the pharmacie and Cicaplast has more of an ointment texture, reminiscent of Polysporin. Since I personally prefer a cream texture over a gel texture, I chose Avène Cicalfate. To me, Cicalfate feels more like a regular cream, since it is white and opaque but thankfully, it disappears after application and blending. What I like about this skin repair cream:
(a) Repairs - Cicalfate contains Sucralfate in micronized form, Sucralfate is known in the treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and stress ulcers because it forms a protective barrier on the esophagus and the stomach against damage from acidity. In a topical skin treatment, Sucralfate helps to promote the restoration of the skin barrier and minimize skin irritation. It is an active and original repairer, quickly restoring skin comfort by promoting regeneration of injured skin. In addition, by binding to skin proteins, it forms a protective film on the affected surface.
(b) Antibacterial - The combination of copper sulfate, zinc sulfate and zinc oxide concentrations work together effectively to fight against excessive development of germs while at the same time, helping to promote and maintain the skin in a healthy and optimal phase of restoration of the skin.
(c) Soothing, anti-irritating - Cicalfate contains a large amount of Avène thermal water (45%), which is beneficial as it soothes sensitive, irritated, and reactive skin.
(d) Other beneficial aspects - Cicalfate contains no fragrance and has no added preservatives. It is hypoallergenic and non-comedegenic.

* Cons - While this can be used to treat burns, I find that Biafine Emulsion works much better and is more effective for burns in my experience. However, the size of this Cicalfate tube is much more compact and "travel friendly" than the Biafine ;)

* Tips - Apply 1-2 times daily on the area to be treated (irritated or altered) cleansed and massage gently. Then spray a fine mist of Avène Thermal Water on affected area. Avène Thermal Water is really a must-have for those with sensitive skin.

* Price - A 40 ml. tube retails for around 9 €. Available at all pharmacies and parapharmacies.

* Verdict - I’ve used this for almost a year now and I find it indispensable as my go-to treatment for irritated acne, popped pimples (I know better but sometimes popping just can't be helped!), allergic reactions to cosmetic products, dermatitis, razor burns, etc. One tube lasts a long time so it's a great value for the money. I do consider Cicalfate to be an integral part of my medicine-skincare cabinet. Recommended.

30 out of 30 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2012 2:43:00 AM More reviews by moisturisingqueen

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my new-found HG product! I have extremely sensitive, eczema ridden skin prone to flare ups due to food allergies. I was at the shopping centre and I experienced a painful eczema flare up on my entire face immediately after consuming a drink. I ran into a nearby pharmacy in search of something to soothe my skin. I was recommended Avene Cicalfate Creme by a pharmacist. On applying it the redness of my skin had decreased by about 50%. Within 2-3 days my skin was silky soft again. I will always carry this on me from now on. Best of all in Australia you can purchase this for around $12 for the 40ml tube at My Chemist! Recently there's been a sale and it's down to $8. Needless to say, I'll definitely be stocking up!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 5/12/2012 11:33:00 AM More reviews by Yishabeila

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This stuff has rave reviews both on MUA and on a famous French consumer beauty website (similar to MUA). Despite my high confidence that this product would help healing scabs or scars or anything in between, it did nothing for me.

The texture is quite pleasant though. But that's not nearly enough.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2012 6:54:00 PM More reviews by Freckledflower

I love this stuff. I have very sensitive acne prone skin and this helped calm in down in the winter. It took away the redness and kept my face moisturized. The only thing is if I used it in the day, my face would get shiny by mid-afternoon but that is normal for me anyway. I also noticed that my acne wasn't as bad while I was using this :). Yes its thick and hard to spread but if you warm it up in your hands that's not a problem.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2012 12:32:00 AM More reviews by wtfiholly

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I can not say "maybe" it's always just "yes" or "no". I love the body wash, the body lotion/cream, but I am on the fence about this.
I use it once a week to help moisturize my skin in certain areas from my psoriasis patches, so it heals a bit faster at least that's what I'd like to think. I only use a bit and I pat it onto my patch after I use my body lotion/cream from Avene, I'm finding that the body lotion/cream is a better fix than this.
It states that it is to repair the skin and I find that the body lotion/cream does a great job without this. I also find that this tends to dry out my patches and that makes things worse for me. I can not use this on my hands, but I can with the body lotion/cream and my hands are soft for about 3 hours then it's back to drysville, but if I don't use it and I just use the body lotion/cream I am soft for all day and then some.
I suppose I should just use this in winter and let things be as they should be in the summer, but if I'm dry in the summer from this particular cream then how will it be in the winter when everything is dryer than Nevada in June? I'm afraid, LOL.
I will use this as needed for a more intense thing if it needs to be like that. I am guessing that I will find it a better use in the winter. I just have to wait. I will update then. For now it is what it is.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2012 10:44:00 AM More reviews by cherryme

This product is a big NO for me! It doesn't help me in any way, it is hard to spread, it sits on the skin and it looks weird, it clogs my pores and it leaves a white cast on my face. Disgusting. For sure I will not buy it again and I will use the rest of the cream on my hands.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2012 10:53:00 AM More reviews by efoursha

I was actually given this product by my plastic surgeon after my tummy tuck/breast reduction surgeries. I had a scar revision tummy tuck after multiple surgeries on my abdomen for a perforated bowel. This is a miracle product for fair skinned people whose scars are reddish in color. This product minimized the redness and really healed my abdomen/breasts at a fast rate. I would highly recommend this product for extensive scar minimizing the redness and healing time.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2012 4:49:00 PM More reviews by nb55

UPDATE- I just upped this to a 5 because it came to the rescue yet again after a very aggressive peel. It is a tried and true remedy.

This is a great product to have in your skin "first aid kit." I don't think of it as an everyday product since I only use it once in a while when I go overboard on the exfoliation. For example, I just made a huge mistake with an lactic acid exfoliant that is supposed to be a spot treatment and used it all over my face. Disaster. My skin stretched tight like it does when you get a dermatologist extreme peel. I have been trying to keep it covered in jojoba oil so it doesn't crack but then I remembered Cicalfate. Instant relief. The zinc in the product prevents infection and soothes the inflammation. It is priced reasonably. I used to try and use it on acne but never had any success, much like the other reviewers. However, the product materials don't say to use it for acne. Good, solid product that is priced reasonably (bought it at skinstore with 20% off so around $13).

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2012 12:58:00 PM More reviews by nehelenia

This product is really good. Afer my last session with Fraxel laser, my skin was red and very dry and this cream managed to reduce the redness and hydrate my skin. The cream is white and greasy, but after an hour it is completely absorbed into the skin. The price in Europe is really good, I paid about 12$ for it. Again, I love this products, it is very efficient, it can also work as a moisturizer. I highly recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2012 10:44:00 AM More reviews by mizztree

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have combination skin that tends to break out if I look at it too long in a mirror. Recently - I started to get hormonal acne constantly and I needed to up the ante in my regime by adding in glycolic acid but it was leaving my skin SO unhappy - I was certain there was no hope.

Enter Cicalfate.

I use it as my everything cream now. I follow my treatment with it and my face feels calm and looks great. I get compliments from co-workers about the texture of my skin.

It also helps with the chapped skin on my hands.