NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella

4.4

c12 13 Alkyl Ethylhexanoate, Candelilla Cera (Euphorbia Cerifera Wax), Polyethylene, Cyclomethicone, Phenyltrimethicone, Silica, Dimethicone, Sucrose Acetate Isobutyate, Hydrogenated Coco Glycerides, Di Calcium Phosphate, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Aroma (Flavor), Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, May Contain ( /-): Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 30 (CI 73360), Yellow 10 Lake (CI 47005), Red 6, Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Red 22 Lake (CI 45380), Carmine (CI 75470), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163)

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

Just like it's namesake, this lip color is the perfect balance of modern and classic, elegant and fun, and vibrant yet subdued. I'm fairly new to red lipstick and as much as I love a bright lip, on me red can make me feel self conscious and awkward as I feel it shows off negatively my wide mouth and full lips. I was looking for a color to wear on special occasions, "low maintenance", and most of all, flatters my skin tone. I tried this out at Sephora and loved it. It filled all the tabs.

When swatched it looks like a perfectly neutral red but on me it looks exactly like the color of red delicious apples. It shows off my mouth area in the best way possible, makes my teeth look even more gorgeous, and makes my drowsy eye area look sharp and bright. It makes me look and feel sexy. I'm told I usually have a sweet, gullible look to my expression. People have stopped to gawk, point, awe, and compliment when I wear it. I feel amazing when I wear it. I really felt like I'd imagined Cruella felt in the 101 Dalmantions series and movies...just plain unstoppable, glamorous, and fabulously fabulous. I'm a MAC NC42 and NC 45 in the Summer (right now) and it looks great. You cannot do wrong with this product. In fact, if you're a makeup newbie (maybe even a progressive makeup dummy like me) you will not, cannot fail. I sometimes abhor the packaging, as you have to sharpen it, but I also think that helps to have a better control of the color and apply the color beautifully. You don't need a lip brush, a lip liner, maybe a sealer or anything like that. A sharpener and some lip gloss and you will be in the bridge to gorgeous yet simple perfection. For me it is my staple when I want to glam up with no effort.

on 6/14/2012 6:24:00 PM

This is such a sexy, vampy red. I love how smoothly it goes on and STAYS on. Just make sure to exfoliate and moisturize your lips before applying. I'm not the biggest fan of the packaging since it is in pencil form and you have to sharpen it every once and a while, but I would recommend sharpening it with a sharp x-acto knife in order to waste less product.

on 5/27/2012 9:15:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I don't think I have ever received this many compliments in one day before. I wore this at work (retail) and so many customers complimented me on my lips! The colour looked absolutely amazing on my NC20 skin. Some of my coworkers said I reminded them of a geisha.

This lip pencil is very creamy, pigmented, and easy to apply. I applied it straight from the stick and then used my lip pencil to smooth the edges. Then I put a bit of lip balm on top and it looked and felt awesome! The only thing that would make this product perfect is if it came in a twist-up form; I really hate sharpening pencils since there can be a lot of waste and mess.

HOLY EFF.

The only reason I can't rate this lip pencil perfect is because of the price. $35 in Canada after taxes...yikes.

Other than that - SO impressed. Glides on effortlessly, the colour is SUPER pigmented, and the finish, like the name, is like velvet.

I adore it.

on 2/27/2012 3:17:00 PM

OK so this is the most gorgeous red I've ever used ! It looks like velvet on. I haven't tried to sharpen it yet, but if that works out well I'll be in love forever.

on 10/11/2011 7:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

Cruella on my skin tone (Nars Sheer Glow in Punjab, NC35, Chanel Beige, Diorskin Nude 031 Sand) looks VERY bordeaux wine red, almost vampish on me. For a true red, I go with Dragon Girl, For a bright happy fun orange red I go with Red Square. Whilst I like Cruella, I can't see this as being my go-to red. It's kinda cool to wear for fall with hardly any makeup. It doesn't bleed, which I love. It applies so creamy and stays on forever. It might look good if I went as a vampire for Halloween.

on 7/8/2011 8:11:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This was one of my two 'finalists' last week when swatching lipsticks at sephora (the other one is 'Maneater' by Illamasqua). Went back today and bought it and I must say, between these two amazing reds, I am done searching for my perfect red! This lip pencil goes on matte, like the Illamasqua one, which I love. And it offers the deeper red that I can't get with 'Maneater', which on me shows up brighter, on the orange side a bit. Will definitely be buying Cruella lipstick again whenever I run out of this one! If you're looking for the blood red matte lipstick, this is it.

great product, simple application, great longetivity, can be a bit drying, make sure you apply a hydrating balm prior to application. good deep blue-based red.

on 4/4/2011 12:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Oh. My. God. I cannot properly explain my love for this lip pencil. I have just recently decided to take the plunge into the world of red lips, and now that I have I cannot get enough! This is a beautiful red color and I will never be able to live without it again! The pencil form makes it so so so easy on both initial application and reapplication. I use a red lip liner when I first apply, but as another reviewer said, since it's a pencil the reapplicaiton is almost too easy! Great velvety formula. I also agree that the packaging can leave some to desire. This is my third NARS lip pencil, and I always have to keep them seperate from the other things I am carrying in my purse so that the cap does not accidentally come off and poo all over my other things. lol

on 2/24/2011 1:47:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I don't like that the cap could potentially slip off in my bag (which is why I keep it in the box). Since it's a pencil, I find it easy to apply, especially to the bow (top?) of my lips because they're kind of sharp/pointy (did that make sense?). Love the color, I just wore it a few times and have to see how it weathers eating, etc. Looks good on a variety of skin tones. I hate sharpening pencils though, so I guess there are pro's and con's to this shape. If this wasn't so expensive, I would buy it more often.

Video Reviews & Tutorials