NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella

4.3

c12 13 Alkyl Ethylhexanoate, Candelilla Cera (Euphorbia Cerifera Wax), Polyethylene, Cyclomethicone, Phenyltrimethicone, Silica, Dimethicone, Sucrose Acetate Isobutyate, Hydrogenated Coco Glycerides, Di Calcium Phosphate, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Aroma (Flavor), Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, May Contain ( /-): Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 30 (CI 73360), Yellow 10 Lake (CI 47005), Red 6, Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Red 22 Lake (CI 45380), Carmine (CI 75470), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163)

on 3/8/2013 6:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

Love this red. Blue-based, creamy, doesn't require a lipliner, and has good staying power. I love the pencil consistency because it's more like a moisturizing lipstick rather than a drying pencil. Looks great when I'm anywhere between NC25-NC35.

on 12/17/2012 9:11:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I probably would repurchase this because a. it's a gorgeous color, b. it's a great matte red shade, and c. it doesn't feather, bleed, or fade in any bizarre way.
The packaging leaves a lot to be desired. In a world where those dreadful Tarte Lipsurgence crayons can have a twist-up design, one might imagine that another lip crayon at the same price point with far superior quality would follow suit. I can deal with having to sharpen a less expensive product, but when I drop $25 on any product, I don't any of it to be wasted. At all. This would be my only road block in terms of repurchasing this lip color.
The color itself is so wonderfully glamorous and chic. I love the true matte finish (not like the Bite pencils which are more of a satin finish than matte) and it works so well against my skin tone. I feel like a classic film star when I'm wearing this.
The staying power is superb. I didn't think it would be because the Train Blue (or however it's spelled) color faded and bled horribly within a couple hours of trying it on. This one doesn't do that at all. It stays beautifully within my lip line, leaving a gorgeous sharp border and perfect definition. I don't need liner or lip primer underneath. I just swipe this beauty on and I'm good to go.
It can be a tad drying, but I always prep my lips with plenty of moisture before applying. I rub in coconut oil until it absorbs, then a lot of lip balm, let it seep in, then blot the balm off and apply the color. Perfect!
All in all, I'd say the product itself is fantastic. I just hope they give the packaging a makeover so less product is wasted.

on 10/8/2012 9:28:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

I have been admiring "Cruella" on a friend of mine and, put off by the price tag, I went in search of a drug store dupe that was cheaper. However, I failed to find one that had the staying power of NARS. This stuff STAYS PUT on my lips, which is a huge deal, because I am not exceptionally careful when wearing lipstick and I am always smudging it. This stuff is magnificent. Great color, great application, even the fact that it is matte and therefore "dry" doesn't bother my prone-to-chapping-lips.

I will probably buy this again, but will need to start saving up... At twenty-four bucks a pop, these are not cheap!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

As other reviewers have noted, the shade is very flattering on my fair-medium, roughy NC30 skin. I find it very similar to MAC's Russian Red, my first proper red lipstick and a color I truly love. The formula is definitely better than MAC's--it's still matte, and therefore drying and a little difficult to apply, but it emphasizes flakes much less than Russian Red IMO. It doesn't bleed and really lasts ages, and survives snacking/tea drinking on me but not a full meal. I'm not a huge fan of the pencil-like packaging. Though it does make application a bit easier on the go, I tend to use a lip brush for greater precision anyway. What I don't like about it is having to sharpen it quite often, which wastes a lot of the product :(

I like this a lot, but because of the high price for a small amount of product, of which a lot is wasted, I don't think I would repurchase. It's a gorgeous, glamorous shade, but undoubtedly dupe-able and I think I'll explore other options once I'm done with this.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

Just like it's namesake, this lip color is the perfect balance of modern and classic, elegant and fun, and vibrant yet subdued. I'm fairly new to red lipstick and as much as I love a bright lip, on me red can make me feel self conscious and awkward as I feel it shows off negatively my wide mouth and full lips. I was looking for a color to wear on special occasions, "low maintenance", and most of all, flatters my skin tone. I tried this out at Sephora and loved it. It filled all the tabs.

When swatched it looks like a perfectly neutral red but on me it looks exactly like the color of red delicious apples. It shows off my mouth area in the best way possible, makes my teeth look even more gorgeous, and makes my drowsy eye area look sharp and bright. It makes me look and feel sexy. I'm told I usually have a sweet, gullible look to my expression. People have stopped to gawk, point, awe, and compliment when I wear it. I feel amazing when I wear it. I really felt like I'd imagined Cruella felt in the 101 Dalmantions series and movies...just plain unstoppable, glamorous, and fabulously fabulous. I'm a MAC NC42 and NC 45 in the Summer (right now) and it looks great. You cannot do wrong with this product. In fact, if you're a makeup newbie (maybe even a progressive makeup dummy like me) you will not, cannot fail. I sometimes abhor the packaging, as you have to sharpen it, but I also think that helps to have a better control of the color and apply the color beautifully. You don't need a lip brush, a lip liner, maybe a sealer or anything like that. A sharpener and some lip gloss and you will be in the bridge to gorgeous yet simple perfection. For me it is my staple when I want to glam up with no effort.

on 6/14/2012 6:24:00 PM

This is such a sexy, vampy red. I love how smoothly it goes on and STAYS on. Just make sure to exfoliate and moisturize your lips before applying. I'm not the biggest fan of the packaging since it is in pencil form and you have to sharpen it every once and a while, but I would recommend sharpening it with a sharp x-acto knife in order to waste less product.

on 5/27/2012 9:15:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I don't think I have ever received this many compliments in one day before. I wore this at work (retail) and so many customers complimented me on my lips! The colour looked absolutely amazing on my NC20 skin. Some of my coworkers said I reminded them of a geisha.

This lip pencil is very creamy, pigmented, and easy to apply. I applied it straight from the stick and then used my lip pencil to smooth the edges. Then I put a bit of lip balm on top and it looked and felt awesome! The only thing that would make this product perfect is if it came in a twist-up form; I really hate sharpening pencils since there can be a lot of waste and mess.

HOLY EFF.

The only reason I can't rate this lip pencil perfect is because of the price. $35 in Canada after taxes...yikes.

Other than that - SO impressed. Glides on effortlessly, the colour is SUPER pigmented, and the finish, like the name, is like velvet.

I adore it.

on 2/27/2012 3:17:00 PM

OK so this is the most gorgeous red I've ever used ! It looks like velvet on. I haven't tried to sharpen it yet, but if that works out well I'll be in love forever.

on 10/11/2011 7:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

Cruella on my skin tone (Nars Sheer Glow in Punjab, NC35, Chanel Beige, Diorskin Nude 031 Sand) looks VERY bordeaux wine red, almost vampish on me. For a true red, I go with Dragon Girl, For a bright happy fun orange red I go with Red Square. Whilst I like Cruella, I can't see this as being my go-to red. It's kinda cool to wear for fall with hardly any makeup. It doesn't bleed, which I love. It applies so creamy and stays on forever. It might look good if I went as a vampire for Halloween.

Video Reviews & Tutorials