Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay

4.4

CALCIUM BENTONITE (green clay)

on 2/2/2015 4:56:00 AM

I bought this off of Amazon a while ago, used it a few times inconsistently and threw it somewhere in my messy closet. While moving, I found it and decided to give it another try. Here is my experience:

The first time around, as I mentioned above, I was inconsistent. I would break out from the initial purge due to clogged pores, then continue to break out with my regular breakouts. I used it with regular ACV.

The second time around, I used it for 3 nights in a row, and left it on for close to one hour. It was extremely uncomfortable due to the tightening effect of the mask drying. This time, I used organic, unfiltered ACV (I dont think it makes a HUGE difference, but of course you will get more benefits by using the unfiltered version of ACV). My face was pink a bit but I was going to bed any ways. The next day, I woke up with 2 or three white heads. I decided to use it as a spot treatment and left that on all day since I was home. Now here is where I screwed up. * DO NOT peel it off your pimples/white heads/skin when the mask dries !* Doing this only ripped the delicate skin on the pimple and the puss leaked (sorry for the gross tmi, but I want to warn you not to do the same!). Instead, use a hot cloth and VERY gently pat it a million times until it comes off. Or make your life easier, and just shower. The steam helps, and you don't need to scrub; the shower head will do it for you, you just need to face the water.

I then used it once a week, with great results. It makes my skin smooth and glow. It helps with my acne, but doesn't completely eliminate them so Im now trying MUAC's Mandelic Acid Peel (which I will review after some use).

I would recommend using a generous layer, and not being skimpy with it (I noticed less benefits/glow if I used a tiny bit compared to a generous amount).

Now this might sound crazy, but hear me out.

Use this clay as a cleanse. Seriously. One tsp mixed with a cup (or 3) of water on a preferably empty stomach. I tried the lemon drink, but it didnt do much for me. I have read amazing things online about it, and thought it was fake. I tried it. I do not have problems with irregular bowl movements, but apparently it should help with that. I used it to help with my acne from the inside, as well as help my body a bit with a gentle cleanse. Yes, I know your body dosen't need your help but this is very very gentle and natural.

It gave me more energy, and I felt more alert. You dont really have anything to lose if you try it. I felt gross and sluggish for a few days after starting, that's just the detox phase. Continue using it and hopefully it helps! My skin is getting clearer by the day.

* Don't take within 2 hours of other medication, and wait preferably one hour before/after a meal *

on 2/1/2015 7:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

The price is amazing!!! I use it once a week, really makes your skin soft and cleans out your pores. Definitely worth investing in. Got mine at whole foods.

on 1/28/2015 10:38:00 AM

HOLY WOW this stuff is AMAZING! First off, I have dry and sensitive skin, but this still works great on me and doesnt dry my skin out if I only use it 1-2 times per week. Obviously if you use it every other day, you might start to get dried out if you don't moisturize.

The more liquid you add to this mask, the less painful it is when it dries (I never found it that painful!!) I use this with apple cider vinegar and sometimes add half a pill of activated charcoal too, which also makes the mask softer and less dry/crackly when it dries.
Adding slightly more vinegar and some activated charcoal are both tips for people who feel like this mask is too harsh, dry, or painful.

This stuff really improves my skin and brings out breakouts before they happen, and the ACV evens my skin tone. I can't lIVE without doing this at least once a week and even bring it on vacation.

If you have sensitive or dry skin, limit yourself to using it once or twice a week, and add more liquid to the mask so that it isn't chunky or dry (which makes it painful) and try to add some activated charcoal.

I will leave this on normally for 1-2 hours and it never hurts!

IMPORTANT FOR REMOVAL: This stuff clogs drains so be careful to flush with hot water down the sink for a few minutes! Also, Take this off in the SHOWER. If you try to do it at a sink, it won't work. Because it needs to soak in warm water in the shower to come off easily.

on 1/25/2015 7:15:00 PM

This is a great mask! It helps heal and prevent pimples, control oiliness, and even out skin complexion. I have been using it once a week for the past month, and my skin looks really great. Even during my time of the month I didn't get any breakouts! After doing this mask, my skin feels very soft, and my patches and oily patches even out. Once a week is enough to maintain the benefits.
Here's how I use this mask:
First I wash my face with my gentle cleanser. I mix the mask with a little bit apple cider vinegar and some water until it is smooth. I apply it all over my face using my fingers. After about 20-30 minutes I wash it off with warm water while gently exfoliating my skin with my fingers to remove and dead/dry skin. Then after its completely washed away I pat my face dry. My face only gets slightly red around my hairline. My skin looks and feels soft and smooth right after! I wait about 15 minutes then apply any treatment or moisturizer.
Great product.

on 1/20/2015 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

This is an awesome clay mask that I believe everyone should have because its all natural Ė no additives, chemicals etc.. I use this product about 3 times a week for at least a several weeks now. Its a bit time consuming since you have to wait for it to dry but doing something while waiting for it to dry fixes that. It does turn my face slightly red after removing which is a result of the clay drying/tightening up and bringing blood to those areas where applied. I did notice the my small acne bumps are disappearing. I cant be so sure that this is the reason because I did switch foundations recently and to be honest I don't think any clay mask "sucks" out impurities and oils. The tightening feeling doesn't necessarily equate to a purging your pores. I think this powerful mask. Since it is pure clay the tightening effect is strong (depends upon the application thichness as well) because the it the nature of clays, it expands when water it added and contract when dry.

USER TIPS:
1) You do not need to apply a thick layer! 1/2 teaspoon is sufficient to cover my entire face while still getting that tightening effect. This way you don't have to wait longer for it to dry and prevent it from clogging your drains.
2) Apply it before you jump into the shower. The warm water will remove it with ease and the continuous flow of water also prevent it from clogging your drains.
3) If applying a thin layer and not shower after, take a baby wipe, wet it with warm water and pat it onto your dried up mask. This will loosen up the mask and use the same baby wipe the rest of the mask up.

on 1/20/2015 8:09:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Absolutely love this clay!

Only gave it 4 hippies instead of 5 because I don't have a credit/debit card to buy it online since it is not available in Malaysia, I instead bought it from a dealer whom I found was ripping me off :(

However once I do get my bank statements straightened out, I'll deffo buy this in bulk online!

on 1/16/2015 10:24:00 AM

I have gone on accutane twice but found myself breaking out strictly on my forehead a few months after finishing my last dose. Otherwise, I only break out around my lip area once a month. I found out that my body is very sensitive to wheat and gluten (tests show I don't have Celiacs). Whenever I eat something with wheat, I start breaking out on my forehead within the next 24-48 hours. I have definitely removed gluten and wheat from my diet, but occasionally cave and eat pizza or something else every once in a while. Although allergy medication help reduce my other side effects (that are not dangerous or deadly), it does not prevent the breakouts on my forehead. This face mask is something I continue to use to help this acne and am almost done with my first tub of the mask.

Whenever I eat wheat, I use this facemask STRICTLY on my forehead area several nights in a row. It helps calm all the inflammation on my forehead, making me breakout less and allow the ones that do pop up to heal very quickly.

I try not to review something the day after I get it, so I have used the entire tub and am now writing a review. Here are some things to be aware of when using it.

1. This specific mask will cause you to breakout if you have current pores that are clogged (so be aware when you begin using it).
2. Only use it twice a week on your whole face because it can cause sensitivity.
3. I have been able to use it more frequently when I use it on a small section of my face (like just my forehead).
4. Use it twice a week, and CONTINUE to use it every week. I found that if I don't use it twice a week and use it inconsistently, I go through the initial breakout period every single time. If you keep up with it, you will not have to worry about getting clogged pores that will turn into acne after using this product.
5. If you have a bath tub, was your face in the lower water spout (if you are not showering after using this product). It helps your sink drain from clogging.
6. Only use plastic or glass materials, as metal can cause a reaction with the clay while you are mixing. I prefer plastic, because the clay makes an awful noise in glass while you are stirring it.

Hope this review helps!

on 1/15/2015 11:55:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

After seeing all the rave reviews online I decided that it might be worth to spend a little extra to ship this into Canada. I'm usually extremely skeptical about products people claim to be their "holy grail" cause most of the time they haven't done much for me. However after using this for the first time last night - all I can say is wow. I had a few red, inflamed pimples before applying this, and a cystic like zit on my chin. I also have a few dark spots after older pimples. Waking up this morning, all of it has faded. The spots aren't completely gone but are definitely lighter, pimples aren't red anymore and dramatically shrunk in size, and the cystic pimple is almost already at the surface (usually takes 2 weeks). Blackheads and deep, skin coloured bumps I always struggle with - also dried up and and shrunk in size. Although my face does feel a bit itchy/irritated this morning (it REALLY tightens your skin), I think it's completely worth it considering how great it made my complexion look. Another note - I recently purchased the GlamGlow mask and that has done absolutely nothing for my face. Save the time and money and buy this inexpensive but extremely effective gem :) Also - MOISTURIZE. I used my HG moisturizer CeRave and it's really helped out to make sure my skin wasn't too dry after the mask. Don't waste anymore time reading reviews and researching, buy it now!!!

on 1/14/2015 6:16:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

My routine- I mixed the clay with apple cider vinegar, left it on for 10-15 minutes, and took it off in the shower. I then used a Biore pore strip.

You donít have to spend a gazillion dollars at the local spa. This product is amazing but always sold out at iHerb!

on 1/14/2015 3:09:00 PM

You're gonna need a spoon to hoist the powder out of the container. DON'T try to dump it out or it'll fly everywhere!

This mask is really great! I tried it for the first time yesterday after reading tons of reviews. My skin looks significantly more even, smooth and a bit less red today; not to mention my makeup went on smoother! I definitely think I need to make masks a daily (or every other day) ritual now. The winter months have definitely been making my skin beg for some TLC. I think clay masks can sometimes act as well, which is great for those winter flakes your skin never seems to produce enough of.

I mixed mine with a bit of raw honey, ACV, water and cinnamon & left it on my face for about 30-40 min, then I just let the water pressure in the shower and a bit of rubbing wash it away. Mm-m goodness for the skin! The crystallized honey exfoliated the surface cells, and my skin just feels so much nicer today. Definitely drying though so be sure to double up on moisturizing after!

...So why the 4 stars?

I have decided to only award 5 stars to a) products that blow me out of the water upon first use & b) products that stand the test of time. We'll see how well this baby does when I use it more often. For now, definitely a solid A!

Popular Masks