February 26, 2015 | 2022 users online

Hair - LUSH - Caca Rouge Henna

rated 2 of 5 on 6/28/2012 7:40:00 PM More reviews by thistle100

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I used this for many years, then let it grow out, and I'm now debating whether to try it again. The upside is that it leaves a beautiful colour and shine, especially for the first few washes.

One of the downsides is that it's hard to mix because it comes in a block. I use at least half a block on collar/shoulder length hair, sometimes more. I put it in a strong plastic bag, wrap the bag in a tea-towel, put it on a hard floor, and smash it with a hammer until it's a powder, or at least in small pieces. Then I place it in a plastic bowl, added boiling water, and mix it up with a wooden spoon until I have a thick yoghurt consistency.

I put the bowl in the bath, and I hang my head over the bowl, wearing disposable plastic gloves (the kind you buy in boxes in pharmacies, because they won't pull the hair). Then I apply it to dry hair, and when it's well distributed, I wrap my head in clingfilm, wipe my hairline and ears with moisturizer (or Vaseline) to make sure it won't stain, then wrap an old towel over the clingfilm. I keep an old dressing gown I don't care about to wear while I wait at least four hours, sometimes six. I then stand under the shower and it all comes off quite easily. I bought a very cheap white plastic shower curtain that I keep especially for henna, and a bunch of plastic hooks to hang it up with - over my usual curtain - so I can stand under the shower and not have to worry about the mess. When it's done, I take the cheap curtain down and stuff it in a drawer along with my old dressing gown and stained towel (my henna tools!).

The second downside is that, over time, I think it was not good for my hair. I had to wash my hair every day. I usually prefer to do this anyway, but with the henna I had to. But at the same time my hair seemed to get drier over time, and I had a problem with split ends. Whether this was the henna, I don't know, but I'm inclined now to think that it was.

The thing that really annoyed me was that when I telephoned Lush to ask about the ingredients (this was in the days before their ingredients were on their website), they told me it was 100 percent Persian henna. I phoned because I had noticed the increase in split ends, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't putting any chemicals in my hair. This wasn't just one person who made a mistake, because when I told my hairdresser, he said he could tell that it wasn't pure henna. So I phoned them again, asked to speak to a supervisor, explained that I needed to know what the ingredients were, and was again told it was 100 percent Persian henna, with no chemicals. But I see now from the website that this isn't correct. So that might explain why my hair seemed to get damaged by it over time.

I stopped using it a couple of years ago, and my hair is now in much better condition -- I no longer have to wash it every day -- but I miss the vibrant colour. So I'm considering using henna again, and am also considering buying Caca Rouge again, but only because of the "devil I know" factor. Before I do, I'm going to try to find another source I can trust that sells henna without any additives.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2012 1:16:00 PM More reviews by queencattitude

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product is awesome!! I thought the whole process was fun! Here were my steps to getting an awesome head of dark red hair!
(Take note: My hair was brown before)

Make sure you do this when you have a lot of time. It does take a lonnnng time, and I started at about 8 45 and finished at 1 am.

HAVE:

Big bowl(metal or glass)
Wooden or Plastic Large Spoon
Seran Wrap
Cheese grater
Knife to cut blocks

1) For my length and thickness, i used 3 of the sections of the 6 section block. I used a cheese grater to shred the blocks. It took about 10-12 minutes. It wasn't that bad, and was worth it. Especially because I'd rather spend my time doing that than waiting for the block to melt.
2) I just used the insta-hot water, but start mixing the shreads and add the hot water until its about a pudding consistency. It will be grainy, you aren't doing something wrong!
3) Section your hair into 4 parts. Two in front, two in back.
4) coat 1 section at a time. MAKE SURE YOU SPREAD THE HAIR AND SMOTHER IT!EVEN IF YOU NEED TO MAKE MORE.IT IS SO IMPORTANT BECAUSE JUST COATING IT WONT HAVE THE SAME EFFECT. MAKE SURE THE INSIDE OF THE HAIR SECTION IS ALSO COVERED.
5) After you're finished with all sections, they should look like dreads. Make one big bun or just put your hair up. Wrap your head in seran wrap to create a redder effect.
6) Wait 3 hours or so. I'm not sure what happens if you do more or less, but mine turned out good with that time.
7) Rinse all henna out of your hair. Condition it, and then lightly shampoo. Condition again.
8) Now, blow dry or straighten your hair. Over 3 days your hair will get darker/redder. Don't wash your hair during the three days,or at least only do it lightly.

ENJOY!!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/5/2012 10:54:00 PM More reviews by nataliecloud9

I LOVED this product. Especially because I *assumed* I was using a healthy alternative to drugstore hair dye.

That was until I discovered these 2 websites:

www.goodguide.com

It turns out LUSH Caca Hennas are rated pretty much just as BAD for your health as most of the drugstore hair dyes!!

(See for yourself! Just search and compare on the websites.)

So LUSH must have some undisclosed, chemicals or ingredients hidden inside :(

It figures... Because no where on the package do they claim Caca is 100% natural.

So be warned... If you are going to use this product strictly to be more health conscience, you are better off buying henna powder and doing it that way because THIS IS NOT CHEMICAL FREE!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/31/2012 1:20:00 AM More reviews by Blossom79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have used this a few times (last time with one block of the noir).

I have tried just about every way of preparing the henna and for me the easiest way is grating. And I have given up trying to get my partner to help me, it is easier on my own, over a sink to catch the drips and just wacking it on. The only thing I find it dyes (other than my hair) is finger nails and towels! Skin and bath etc are all safe.

The easiest way for me is to leave it in over night, covered with cling wrap and a towel.

I shampoo it out once and then condition.

The results: My hair was bleached over new year, so it is pretty damaged and light. It comes out bright ginger (don't want to confuse people by saying red, it isn't a 'red' that you would normally buy as a dye). It looks quite natural which is cool. The last time I used 2 rouge blocks and one noir and it is a darker ginger, probably better for my hair.
I LOVE the smell. I can still smell it on my hair now and just keep randomly smelling my hair. My partner doesn't like it too much though.
Condition wise, it seems to leave my hair LOOKING better, shiney etc, but only until the first wash. It doesn't make it any straighter, and I seem to have more split ends afterwards. I guess this is from having to wash it out?

I can't see myself going back to chemical dyes.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/15/2012 10:45:00 AM More reviews by yemyesilkurbaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm a brunette with copper undertones but I've been using red dye. My hair is just below my shoulders and has a very thin texture.
The SA told me to use the entire block. But when I started shaving the block off with a butchers knife, I realised it is a really saturated product, unlike powder henna. So I only used half of the block which was just enough for my hair type.
I added a cup of hot cranberry tea (for added colour and durability), 8 tea spoons of virgin olive oil (to get the mud out of my hair more easily).
I started by bain marie, but I soon found out it would be easier to get a consistent mixture by directly heating the product itself. Thank god it left no stains in the pot.
Getting it on my hair was such a pain. Mostly because I have no one to help me. Beware, the product can and will splash everywhere around you!
I wrapped my head in cling film and with an old towel over it then went to sleep. After almost 6 hours I jumped in the shower. Getting the mud out of your hair takes a long time, large amount of water and shampoo. Even after that, I realised finely grated tobacco-like herbs are still in my hair. I suppose it will take a couple of more showers to get rid of.
The red tint was obvious even when my hair was wet. After two or three more hours, the colour settled in more which turned out to be a very natural and vivid auburn. Thanks to the weather in London I haven't been able to test it under sun yet :)
* An average hair dye over the counter is around 7 quids. I paid 7.75 for the entire block (325 grams) which allows for two applications for my hair lenght, plus the healty ingridients. Besides, I expect the colour won't fade as quickly as the chemical ones do. So I would say it's almost a bargain price.
* I enjoyed the soap-like natural smell of it at first. But after you start to mix it, and as the product develops its smell gets really overwhelming. Next time I'll add a sachet of vanilla to see if it works.
* I was really afraid to see my ears and hairline dyed orange when it gets more and more fluid as time passes. Fortunately there was no such thing. Nevertheless it might be a good idea to use ear plugs to avoid henna getting in your ears.
* I wish Lush would sell this product in a readily grated form with different amount selections.
I still need some time to see how it works in the following days and weeks, but overall I don't think I'll ever return back to chemical dyes again!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2012 6:06:00 AM More reviews by Boroshok

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this henna, and don't use anything else. I used to use standard Indian henna, but it was drying my hair. This one has essential oils, so it nourishes my hair and I have an amazing shine!

You can see the effect of this henna on my hair on my video here: http://www.beauty-reviews.net/2012/04/get-shine-into-your-hair-use-henna.html

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2012 5:20:00 PM More reviews by jossythebossy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I LOVE this product!

after I had done a lot of research about this product I decided to try it out. the price is a little high, but definitely worth it. the packaging was average? no complaints and no compliments really on the packaging. it was simple. it comes in 6 blocks. I have pretty long hair, and I used three blocks (next time i'll use 4. i barley had enough.) I just scrapped small peices of it off on a cutting board. it wasnt really that hard, like ive heard people say. ive also heard a lot of people complain about the smell, and grant it, it is very strong, but i actually kind of liked it. it didnt seem to bother me. it does linger for a little bit after its been dyed, but its not as strong. some people cant stand the smell, and some people dont mind it, or even actually like it. and i am one of those that didnt mind. it was a little messy. but not as bad as I suspected from previous reveiws. i had someone put it in for my, so that might be part of it.

I wrapped it in plastic wrap, and slept on it. when I woke up I washed it out in the tub (leaning my head under the focet.) I used conditioner, then shampoo, then conditioner again. at that point I felt like i had gotten it all out. I honestly was kind of disappointed when I first washed it out. it didn't seem like it had a lot of effect at all. my hair still looked like it was dirty blonde. i blow dried it, and then I started to notice the color a little bit more. within the space of an hour of it being dry, it became a very beautiful natural, but vibrant red. i LOVED it!

My hair has never held color very well at all. seems like after a few times of washing it, all of the color was gone, but with this, the color has lasted VERY well. especially considering reds dont normally last to long on blonde in general anyways. its been 5 weeks since i dyed it. of course it has faded a LITTLE bit. at my ends its faded into a really pretty strawberry blonde color, and at the top its still a pretty, slightly lighter red. I'm loving the way its faded. it looks very natural. people that ive met just recently have thought that I really am a redhead naturally. I will deffinatly keep using this product when i feel it is ready for a redye. ive never been so happy with my hair before.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2012 4:29:00 PM More reviews by ferndarlin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ladies! (and gents!)

A few handy tips for this henna. Being a UK Lush employee in the past for so long has taught me a few important tips in getting henna results the right way.

Let's get started:

1 - keep it HOT! You gotta slap this stuff on as warm as you head can take it. When you're prepping the mix, keep it heated over a pan of simmering water to keep it warm. I usually carry the saucepan through to the bathroom (careful not to spill water!) as the mix can cool while you're getting it into the hair.

2 - Try to work quickly, 'squidge' it into your hair by making lilttle sausages/dreds. Mush it right into the roots. You gotta smother your hair in it, and it won't brush through. Keep squidging! If it's going too flaky, add a squeeze of honey for sticky power!

3 - Cling wrap/plastic wrap your freshly coated head. You'll look like a freak but it pays off.

4 - Give your head a quick blast with the hair dryer to 're-heat' your head, then wrap your head in an old warm towel.

5 - Give it about 5 hours if you want it red. Give it longer so it cools if you want a dark auburn. It WON'T lighten dark hair. With pure henna you can safely bleach your hair a week prior, to lighten it a bit, and then henna it. I've done this loads and so have friends and the results are orange-awesomenes!

6 - When it's done, peel off your towel and cling film. Drench your hair. Rub in a gentle shampoo to lift the henna off the scalp. Give it a dash of conditioner or vinegar rinse.

7 - Enjoy! it may darken or 'settle in' in a day or two.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 12/19/2011 12:36:00 PM More reviews by crystalized128

terrible.
gave me no colour what so ever, leaves hair GREASY, and is bad value for money.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/17/2011 1:45:00 AM More reviews by balboalovescheese

Application was very difficult. The process was long. Making the paste was difficult.I saran wrapped my hair, but flakes still managed to fall off. It was difficult to rinse off. I did not like the scent. The scent lingered for a couple of days. The bath towel I used was stained. My hair was noticeably shinier and softer, but only slightly and only lasted for two weeks.