July 31, 2014 | 1429 users online

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2012 4:29:00 PM More reviews by ferndarlin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ladies! (and gents!)

A few handy tips for this henna. Being a UK Lush employee in the past for so long has taught me a few important tips in getting henna results the right way.

Let's get started:

1 - keep it HOT! You gotta slap this stuff on as warm as you head can take it. When you're prepping the mix, keep it heated over a pan of simmering water to keep it warm. I usually carry the saucepan through to the bathroom (careful not to spill water!) as the mix can cool while you're getting it into the hair.

2 - Try to work quickly, 'squidge' it into your hair by making lilttle sausages/dreds. Mush it right into the roots. You gotta smother your hair in it, and it won't brush through. Keep squidging! If it's going too flaky, add a squeeze of honey for sticky power!

3 - Cling wrap/plastic wrap your freshly coated head. You'll look like a freak but it pays off.

4 - Give your head a quick blast with the hair dryer to 're-heat' your head, then wrap your head in an old warm towel.

5 - Give it about 5 hours if you want it red. Give it longer so it cools if you want a dark auburn. It WON'T lighten dark hair. With pure henna you can safely bleach your hair a week prior, to lighten it a bit, and then henna it. I've done this loads and so have friends and the results are orange-awesomenes!

6 - When it's done, peel off your towel and cling film. Drench your hair. Rub in a gentle shampoo to lift the henna off the scalp. Give it a dash of conditioner or vinegar rinse.

7 - Enjoy! it may darken or 'settle in' in a day or two.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 12/19/2011 12:36:00 PM More reviews by crystalized128

terrible.
gave me no colour what so ever, leaves hair GREASY, and is bad value for money.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/17/2011 1:45:00 AM More reviews by balboalovescheese

Application was very difficult. The process was long. Making the paste was difficult.I saran wrapped my hair, but flakes still managed to fall off. It was difficult to rinse off. I did not like the scent. The scent lingered for a couple of days. The bath towel I used was stained. My hair was noticeably shinier and softer, but only slightly and only lasted for two weeks.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/26/2011 5:57:00 PM More reviews by dragonkuro

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Overall, this was a great product. The color is lovely and long-lasting, and it makes hair much shinier and more manageable. However, there were a few minor complaints: expensive, difficult to apply, and difficult to remove.
I had to use an entire block to dye all of my hair (waist-length, very thick, natural dark brown with bleached blond tips). The best way I've found yet for henna is to crush it (a sledgehammer works well) into inch-wide chunks and dissolve it with about a cup of lemon juice and enough boiling water to cover all the henna by about an inch. I mixed with my hands (in latex gloves, because it stains) until it was about the consistency of cake batter, then applied it all over my head and put my hair up in a shower cap. The dye stayed on overnight, eleven to eleven and a half hours, before combing/washing out (it took about an hour to get all the stuff out).
The sections of my hair that had been brown turned a very dark copper-red (some parts so dark they were almost purple) that shines a sort of opal lavender in dim light - very pretty. The blond parts became a sort of fox-fur brass color - also very pretty.
It was hard to apply the somewhat muddy concoction neatly: I would recommend wearing old clothes and working outside or in a garage. I also had a lot of trouble getting it out, as it had dried to the consistency of thick clay and had to be combed out along with copious amounts of conditioner. And the price, of course: 24.95 not including tax.
Despite the faults, I think this dye is well worth using for the beautiful color it gives.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/18/2011 9:59:00 AM More reviews by realcutiepie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I colored my hair using Lush's Caca Rouge last week and I honestly don't think I will ever go back to using commercial dyes again. I have dark brown hair(with some natural red tones) that has been subjected to many boxes of red dyes. I finally got frustrated with the dye fading so fast, so after 2 weeks of obsessively lurking the Lush forums I purchased the Caca Rouge.

I used Red apple tea instead of water and threw in some paprika and cinnamon to enhance the henna's red tones. Melting it down didn't take much time at all. I kind of half way smashed them with my heavy duty stone mortar and pestle. My husband applied it for me and I covered it with a plastic back and a shower cap and left it on for about 9 hours. (I fell asleep).

Rinsing it was a bit of a trial. I had to shampoo and use quite a bit of conditioner to get it all out in the shower. Cleaning the tub wasn't that bad, nothing stained and KaBoom took care of any residue.

The color is a very subtle change. The top of my hair is a shimmery copper with my ends and under layers a dark reddish brown. I plan on doing it again in a few weeks to build up the color and deepen the red. My hair has never been this shiny or soft. It feels thicker and healthier too.

The only teeny tiny complaint I have is the price.It was 28.00 dollars including tax. A wee bit more compared to box dyes. I had to use the whole block. Now, when I purchased it, the SA told me I would only need 3 squares for the length and thickness of my hair. I was excited to hear that since it would have given me two uses out of 1 block. However (and this was my fault) I think I made it too thick and halfway through the process I ran out of it and had to use the rest. Next time I'm adding more liquid to thin it out more, so hopefully I'll get 2 uses out of it.

I encourage anyone to try it!! I feel like I have a new head of hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2011 4:28:00 PM More reviews by AllisonBlaney

This is what I did to get a red tint on my natural strawberry blonde/auburn hair with the henna—was not looking to completely dye it.

When I was little I had strawberry blonde hair that I loved, but as I’ve gotten older, my hair has gotten darker. I’ve never dyed all of it, but I have done cap highlights (good) and at the beginning of the summer I let my mom do touch on highlights on me (awful). Needless to say, I had some streaky blond bits and massive roots when I decided to do the Henna.

I read a review from a girl with hair like mine who left it on for 20 mins and got a nice tint of red, which is what I wanted rather than an all over colour change. I decided to do two test strands to see how much time I needed to get the results I was looking for. I cut small sections out (like 20 hairs)-but I have thick long hair. I made sure to include some of the highlighted bits too (as the henna will absorb super-fast in those sections). I mixed a little bit of henna and put it on the strip. One I checked at 20 and then 30 and the other I left for two hours. The one I left for two was a super badass colour but way to bright for me at this point—like a shiny penny. Maybe I’ll go for it when I really want a change, it is pretty awesome! Anyway, the one that had processed for 30 mins had a red tone instead of blonde—which, as I said, is what I was looking for. I will say that, if I were going to go full out, I would leave it on for many hours. Even the girl in the store (who henna’s frequently) suggested that. It apparently will deepen the colour. I’m also interested to see how the colour will intensify.

Okay, so I chopped the henna up with a big knife—like you would chocolate—and put the plastic bow in another bowl of hot water. Then I poured in a little water at a time and let it sit a few mins and then stirred with chopsticks until it was smooth brownie batter consistency. Yes, it smells like hay and ass, but once you get used to it it’s not that bad and I also think it’s a million times better than ammonia. Maybe it’s only because I left it on for 30-40 mins but today my hair smells like my shampoo/conditioner, though once and a while I get a tiny whiff of hay that isn’t unpleasant.

The process isn’t that bad. It’s kind of funny actually—and is VERY messy. I put lots of newspaper down on the floor. Kind of wish I put it on the walls because occasionally a blob would fling and splat if I moved my arms too much. I would suggest you do this outside and just be done with it, but with the weather getting cooler just try to be careful and wipe white surfaces ASAP!!! Anyway, I scooped it onto my head, squishing around the roots and then did the ends. Sectioning was hard so being precise didn’t really happen. I used the whole block (because my hair is mid back and very thick) so I had a lot to gob on and massage around. I tried to make sure it was everywhere by using mirrors. Wrap in cling wrap and start twiddling your fingers—or cleaning up the mess (on your skin, all over the bathroom, etc) haha. I waited a full half hour because it took about 10 mins to get the stuff on and I do start the timer once the first blob goes on my head. So that was 40 mins for me. Do your test strip. If you don’t want to cut it off, do it under your hair at the back.

Washing out was bad but not that bad. First, I filled the tub ¼ and dunked my head a few times, working it out. Drained the tub of the DARK BROWN/GREEN water-hahah. Then I plugged the drain again and put my head under the running faucet, then dunked a few more times. Then I got in the shower and did one shampoo. I was trying to conserve water so I did a lot of dunking and it did help. If you fully submerge your heard then kind of run your fingers through your hair, it does come out. By the second shampoo, I could less little “seeds”. Finally, I put in conditioner and used my wide tooth comb to gently comb-from the bottom of the hair up. Dunk, dunk, and you’re done. My bathtub is green where there was soap scum. It’s like exposing my cleaning sins. Guess I will have to work harder this time! Oh, one last note about washing out. Make sure the water runs clear or you will have drips next time it rains (the girl at Lush told me this).

Anyway, I put my product in and styled and was very happy with the SUBTLE changes. In my opinion, it was worth the work, and really only took me an hour once I started. Someone at work looked at me and said “wow! I never noticed how red your hair was before—looks nice!!” I’m so happy to be back in the red head club-and glad that I didn’t have to destroy my hair or the environment to do this!

Next time maybe I’ll go full on-who knows.

I’m interested to see it oxidized in a few days.

Update: It's two days later and the colour still looks great! I'm so pleased. I've has so many compliments! People are talking about how brown my eyes are. They are saying things like "wow, I never realized how red your hair is! It looks great!". I'm going to keep up with the 6 week maintenance--next time I may leave it on longer!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/31/2011 1:48:00 PM More reviews by QuirkyFashionista

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

After going from jet black to red, my hair was in bad shape, damaged and dry from repeatingly bleaching and dyeing. I decided to try coloring with henna not only because my hair was so damaged, but also because I got sick of spending so much time and money at the hairdresser- when colored red with chemical dye, the color faded within a week- I only had the perfect color three days a month, just after visiting the hairdresser.

My hair is naturally chestnut brown, and I was worried the henna wouldn't dye my roots in the correct shade, I wanted bright copper red, like the rest of my hair. Luckily, when left on for 10 hours, Caca Rouge manages to make even my brown roots copper red.

After dyeing with henna for three months, my hair is in noticable better condition. It does feel a bit coarse just after coloring it, but a good conditioner takes care of that.

The best thing about dyeing with Caca Rouge is that the color doesn't fade like it did when I got it colored with chemical dye, I do my roots and also the rest of the hair to freshen up the color once a month, and the color stays just right until the next time I dye it.

I use a whole block for my long, very thick hair, which means I now spend 6£ a month on hair dye- even coloring at home with drugstore dye would cost me three times as much. I also spend less money on deep conditioners and other treatments, as my hair is in better shape.

Will definitely continiue using Caca Rouge- I don't really have a choice, anyway, as dyeing over the henna with chemical dye supposedly is a very bad idea. I'd keep on using henna anyway though, as I love the results.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2011 1:48:00 AM More reviews by Oblinsa

I have been using Lush Caca products for several years now. After using the Caca Noir and the Caca Marron I have pretty much switched over permanently to the Caca Rouge for a number of reasons. Mostly because I find the indigo gets very drippy and really doesn't have that much effect.
Here's some of my expert pointers on use:
1) Don't grind or cut it up! Put the squares you want to use in a zip lock bag. Then stick that in another bag. Then get out a rubber mallet and pound away on it (or if you have weak little tyranosaurus rex arms like me, have your hubby or brother or whatever do it). Powders it within 5 minutes. If you don't have a rubber mallet, stick the bags between two layers of cardboard and use a hammer.
2) I mix mine with cinnamon/cardamom tea (for scent and the tannins) and add lemon juice and clove powder. If it ends up too thin, I add a little extra loose henna from the local indian grocery. I do this the night before and then heat it up in a double boiler the next day.
3) Summer is the best time to henna. The sun keeps the henna warm and helps the color set for one. For two? RINSE THE HENNA OUT OUTSIDE WITH A HOSE. This will save you hours of clean up and frustration! Hours. I also have my husband apply the henna outside, as this cuts down on mess. Seriously, take it outside. You will be 1000% happier.
4) If I get a bug to henna during the winter or other inclement weather, I rinse out in the laundry sink or the kitchen sink. JUST NOT THE BATHTUB FOR GODS SAKE. Again, saves on a huge amount of clean up time. Do the final rinse in the shower, but to get most of it out, either do it outside or in a non porcelain (or already messy) sink.
5) Hold off on shampooing as much as possible. The longer you wait, the longer your henna will last, at least in my experience.
6) Get someone to help with the application. My husband loves to put it in because, as he points out, how often do you get to slop mud in your wife's hair with her permission?
7) Seriously, leave it in 4 hours MINIMUM and preferably longer. And make sure you get some heat into the mix. It should be just as hot as you can stand it going on, and then either sit in the sun for a good portion of the time or get your hairdryer out and blow hot air on it occasionally.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/12/2011 4:19:00 PM More reviews by beautyisinside

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This hair dye is great. It's going to take many dyes to get my hair the color I want (naturally dark brown, wanna go dark red) but that's fine, I always enjoy dying my hair with this.

Application: somewhat messy. Use shea butter or Ultra Balm/ect. to protect your hairline & line the floor with newspaper for easy clean up. Having help when henna is new is a plus.
I use a cheap hair color application brush, it's a BIG help & eliminates glove waste.
Smell: I like it. Earthy and rich. It does become less noticeable though.
Wash out: takes some time but it's easy. Use a utility sink if you have access to one. Massage your scalp and hair with your fingertips/fingers, not your nails.
Time: I leave it in at least 12 hours. The longer you leave it in the darker it will be.
Final results: super soft, shiny & a redder every time.

I use mix-ins. Chile powders, paprika, wine, cinnamon (surprise to me). It helps hair get redder.

UPDATE
Getting closer to my ultimate hair color after about a year and a half of dying it every month (sometimes twice a month). I'm going to leave it in for a full 24 hours (or more) today. I have about 2.5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, about 2 tablespoons paprika (2 different colors), 2 tablespoons cinnamon & a shake of YELLOW turmeric in with my 1 square of Caca Rouge. If you aren't sure of how much to use, start with LESS then you think you need an cook up more if you need it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2011 12:50:00 AM More reviews by swtlilqtk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

So...I have been dying my hair quite a bit and it was in crappy condition so I decided to henna it therefore I CAN'T die it for a long, long time because it wouldn't take or work now. I basically but this on to force myself to stop coloring my hair! Anyways...here on my thoughts on the LUSH henna as this is my first henna experience. I put it in a plastic baggie and hammer the living daylights out of it until it was a powder. I used red tea in the mix and some extra lemon. I left it sit for 16 hours like another review suggested for the color to fully develope. I didn't find the prep time to be time consuming like others suggested but I bet if you didn't hammer into a powder it would take FOREVER for the blocks to melt right. I would highly suggest breaking it down but thats just me. When I went back 16 hours later I added some more boiling tea, stirred and applied. The texture of the henna was extremely gritty and felt like mud even though it was thinner like a yogurt consistency. Once my head was covered, which was a feat, I put on a processing cap from Sally's and a ski cap. I feel like the processing cap is a better bet than cling wrap because you don't have to worry about it sliding as much. Another thing is people said about the application is that it's messy but I didn't find that to be so either. Not any messier than any other hair dye. So, I left this mixture on my hair for 5 hours. I then stuck my head under the faucet for what felt like forever until most of the mixture was out. I then spent 2o minutes cleaning out the bathtub. I found the rinsing out to be the most annoying part overall....between actually rinsing and shampooing it was a feat. It took my shampooing 3 times and conditioning 3 times and my hair still felt gritty! Also I felt like I lost alot of hair when trying to get this crap out! My hair felt really straw-like when wet too, but softer on the dry down. I wouldn't know if the henna made it soft or the pound of conditioner that I used to get the nasty feeling out of my hair so I can't tell you about that one. The color, which is the most important thing, is okay. It looks natural which is a plus but nothing to write home about. It's a soft red-brown in most areas but where my old highlights are its more of a orange brown. The red isn't very bright though which I expect it to be since I let the dye set and release plus I cover my head AND left it on 6 hours! Overall, not worth the 6 hours of work for me! I may do it again before summer is over and rinse my head out with a hose outside to save on the mess! Also maybe sitting in the heat with the hat on will help. Who knows? If I get better results the next time I will let you know!

**I used 3 blocks BTW and my hair is med. thickness at collarbone length***

EDIT-changed review from the 3 to a 4 since my fiance whom Ive been with for 6 years informed me this is his favorite haircolor he has seen on me EVER! Lets just say I color my hair A LOT so that is saying something serious. I would give this 5 lippies if it conditioned my hair better but it didn't. ALMOST PERFECT.