September 23, 2014 | 1624 users online

Hair - LUSH - Caca Rouge Henna

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 5/31/2012 1:20:00 AM More reviews by Blossom79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have used this a few times (last time with one block of the noir).

I have tried just about every way of preparing the henna and for me the easiest way is grating. And I have given up trying to get my partner to help me, it is easier on my own, over a sink to catch the drips and just wacking it on. The only thing I find it dyes (other than my hair) is finger nails and towels! Skin and bath etc are all safe.

The easiest way for me is to leave it in over night, covered with cling wrap and a towel.

I shampoo it out once and then condition.

The results: My hair was bleached over new year, so it is pretty damaged and light. It comes out bright ginger (don't want to confuse people by saying red, it isn't a 'red' that you would normally buy as a dye). It looks quite natural which is cool. The last time I used 2 rouge blocks and one noir and it is a darker ginger, probably better for my hair.
I LOVE the smell. I can still smell it on my hair now and just keep randomly smelling my hair. My partner doesn't like it too much though.
Condition wise, it seems to leave my hair LOOKING better, shiney etc, but only until the first wash. It doesn't make it any straighter, and I seem to have more split ends afterwards. I guess this is from having to wash it out?

I can't see myself going back to chemical dyes.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/15/2012 10:45:00 AM More reviews by yemyesilkurbaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm a brunette with copper undertones but I've been using red dye. My hair is just below my shoulders and has a very thin texture.
The SA told me to use the entire block. But when I started shaving the block off with a butchers knife, I realised it is a really saturated product, unlike powder henna. So I only used half of the block which was just enough for my hair type.
I added a cup of hot cranberry tea (for added colour and durability), 8 tea spoons of virgin olive oil (to get the mud out of my hair more easily).
I started by bain marie, but I soon found out it would be easier to get a consistent mixture by directly heating the product itself. Thank god it left no stains in the pot.
Getting it on my hair was such a pain. Mostly because I have no one to help me. Beware, the product can and will splash everywhere around you!
I wrapped my head in cling film and with an old towel over it then went to sleep. After almost 6 hours I jumped in the shower. Getting the mud out of your hair takes a long time, large amount of water and shampoo. Even after that, I realised finely grated tobacco-like herbs are still in my hair. I suppose it will take a couple of more showers to get rid of.
The red tint was obvious even when my hair was wet. After two or three more hours, the colour settled in more which turned out to be a very natural and vivid auburn. Thanks to the weather in London I haven't been able to test it under sun yet :)
* An average hair dye over the counter is around 7 quids. I paid 7.75 for the entire block (325 grams) which allows for two applications for my hair lenght, plus the healty ingridients. Besides, I expect the colour won't fade as quickly as the chemical ones do. So I would say it's almost a bargain price.
* I enjoyed the soap-like natural smell of it at first. But after you start to mix it, and as the product develops its smell gets really overwhelming. Next time I'll add a sachet of vanilla to see if it works.
* I was really afraid to see my ears and hairline dyed orange when it gets more and more fluid as time passes. Fortunately there was no such thing. Nevertheless it might be a good idea to use ear plugs to avoid henna getting in your ears.
* I wish Lush would sell this product in a readily grated form with different amount selections.
I still need some time to see how it works in the following days and weeks, but overall I don't think I'll ever return back to chemical dyes again!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2012 6:06:00 AM More reviews by Boroshok

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this henna, and don't use anything else. I used to use standard Indian henna, but it was drying my hair. This one has essential oils, so it nourishes my hair and I have an amazing shine!

You can see the effect of this henna on my hair on my video here: http://www.beauty-reviews.net/2012/04/get-shine-into-your-hair-use-henna.html

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2012 5:20:00 PM More reviews by jossythebossy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I LOVE this product!

after I had done a lot of research about this product I decided to try it out. the price is a little high, but definitely worth it. the packaging was average? no complaints and no compliments really on the packaging. it was simple. it comes in 6 blocks. I have pretty long hair, and I used three blocks (next time i'll use 4. i barley had enough.) I just scrapped small peices of it off on a cutting board. it wasnt really that hard, like ive heard people say. ive also heard a lot of people complain about the smell, and grant it, it is very strong, but i actually kind of liked it. it didnt seem to bother me. it does linger for a little bit after its been dyed, but its not as strong. some people cant stand the smell, and some people dont mind it, or even actually like it. and i am one of those that didnt mind. it was a little messy. but not as bad as I suspected from previous reveiws. i had someone put it in for my, so that might be part of it.

I wrapped it in plastic wrap, and slept on it. when I woke up I washed it out in the tub (leaning my head under the focet.) I used conditioner, then shampoo, then conditioner again. at that point I felt like i had gotten it all out. I honestly was kind of disappointed when I first washed it out. it didn't seem like it had a lot of effect at all. my hair still looked like it was dirty blonde. i blow dried it, and then I started to notice the color a little bit more. within the space of an hour of it being dry, it became a very beautiful natural, but vibrant red. i LOVED it!

My hair has never held color very well at all. seems like after a few times of washing it, all of the color was gone, but with this, the color has lasted VERY well. especially considering reds dont normally last to long on blonde in general anyways. its been 5 weeks since i dyed it. of course it has faded a LITTLE bit. at my ends its faded into a really pretty strawberry blonde color, and at the top its still a pretty, slightly lighter red. I'm loving the way its faded. it looks very natural. people that ive met just recently have thought that I really am a redhead naturally. I will deffinatly keep using this product when i feel it is ready for a redye. ive never been so happy with my hair before.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2012 4:29:00 PM More reviews by ferndarlin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ladies! (and gents!)

A few handy tips for this henna. Being a UK Lush employee in the past for so long has taught me a few important tips in getting henna results the right way.

Let's get started:

1 - keep it HOT! You gotta slap this stuff on as warm as you head can take it. When you're prepping the mix, keep it heated over a pan of simmering water to keep it warm. I usually carry the saucepan through to the bathroom (careful not to spill water!) as the mix can cool while you're getting it into the hair.

2 - Try to work quickly, 'squidge' it into your hair by making lilttle sausages/dreds. Mush it right into the roots. You gotta smother your hair in it, and it won't brush through. Keep squidging! If it's going too flaky, add a squeeze of honey for sticky power!

3 - Cling wrap/plastic wrap your freshly coated head. You'll look like a freak but it pays off.

4 - Give your head a quick blast with the hair dryer to 're-heat' your head, then wrap your head in an old warm towel.

5 - Give it about 5 hours if you want it red. Give it longer so it cools if you want a dark auburn. It WON'T lighten dark hair. With pure henna you can safely bleach your hair a week prior, to lighten it a bit, and then henna it. I've done this loads and so have friends and the results are orange-awesomenes!

6 - When it's done, peel off your towel and cling film. Drench your hair. Rub in a gentle shampoo to lift the henna off the scalp. Give it a dash of conditioner or vinegar rinse.

7 - Enjoy! it may darken or 'settle in' in a day or two.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 12/19/2011 12:36:00 PM More reviews by crystalized128

terrible.
gave me no colour what so ever, leaves hair GREASY, and is bad value for money.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/17/2011 1:45:00 AM More reviews by balboalovescheese

Application was very difficult. The process was long. Making the paste was difficult.I saran wrapped my hair, but flakes still managed to fall off. It was difficult to rinse off. I did not like the scent. The scent lingered for a couple of days. The bath towel I used was stained. My hair was noticeably shinier and softer, but only slightly and only lasted for two weeks.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/26/2011 5:57:00 PM More reviews by dragonkuro

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Overall, this was a great product. The color is lovely and long-lasting, and it makes hair much shinier and more manageable. However, there were a few minor complaints: expensive, difficult to apply, and difficult to remove.
I had to use an entire block to dye all of my hair (waist-length, very thick, natural dark brown with bleached blond tips). The best way I've found yet for henna is to crush it (a sledgehammer works well) into inch-wide chunks and dissolve it with about a cup of lemon juice and enough boiling water to cover all the henna by about an inch. I mixed with my hands (in latex gloves, because it stains) until it was about the consistency of cake batter, then applied it all over my head and put my hair up in a shower cap. The dye stayed on overnight, eleven to eleven and a half hours, before combing/washing out (it took about an hour to get all the stuff out).
The sections of my hair that had been brown turned a very dark copper-red (some parts so dark they were almost purple) that shines a sort of opal lavender in dim light - very pretty. The blond parts became a sort of fox-fur brass color - also very pretty.
It was hard to apply the somewhat muddy concoction neatly: I would recommend wearing old clothes and working outside or in a garage. I also had a lot of trouble getting it out, as it had dried to the consistency of thick clay and had to be combed out along with copious amounts of conditioner. And the price, of course: 24.95 not including tax.
Despite the faults, I think this dye is well worth using for the beautiful color it gives.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/18/2011 9:59:00 AM More reviews by realcutiepie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I colored my hair using Lush's Caca Rouge last week and I honestly don't think I will ever go back to using commercial dyes again. I have dark brown hair(with some natural red tones) that has been subjected to many boxes of red dyes. I finally got frustrated with the dye fading so fast, so after 2 weeks of obsessively lurking the Lush forums I purchased the Caca Rouge.

I used Red apple tea instead of water and threw in some paprika and cinnamon to enhance the henna's red tones. Melting it down didn't take much time at all. I kind of half way smashed them with my heavy duty stone mortar and pestle. My husband applied it for me and I covered it with a plastic back and a shower cap and left it on for about 9 hours. (I fell asleep).

Rinsing it was a bit of a trial. I had to shampoo and use quite a bit of conditioner to get it all out in the shower. Cleaning the tub wasn't that bad, nothing stained and KaBoom took care of any residue.

The color is a very subtle change. The top of my hair is a shimmery copper with my ends and under layers a dark reddish brown. I plan on doing it again in a few weeks to build up the color and deepen the red. My hair has never been this shiny or soft. It feels thicker and healthier too.

The only teeny tiny complaint I have is the price.It was 28.00 dollars including tax. A wee bit more compared to box dyes. I had to use the whole block. Now, when I purchased it, the SA told me I would only need 3 squares for the length and thickness of my hair. I was excited to hear that since it would have given me two uses out of 1 block. However (and this was my fault) I think I made it too thick and halfway through the process I ran out of it and had to use the rest. Next time I'm adding more liquid to thin it out more, so hopefully I'll get 2 uses out of it.

I encourage anyone to try it!! I feel like I have a new head of hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2011 4:28:00 PM More reviews by AllisonBlaney

This is what I did to get a red tint on my natural strawberry blonde/auburn hair with the henna—was not looking to completely dye it.

When I was little I had strawberry blonde hair that I loved, but as I’ve gotten older, my hair has gotten darker. I’ve never dyed all of it, but I have done cap highlights (good) and at the beginning of the summer I let my mom do touch on highlights on me (awful). Needless to say, I had some streaky blond bits and massive roots when I decided to do the Henna.

I read a review from a girl with hair like mine who left it on for 20 mins and got a nice tint of red, which is what I wanted rather than an all over colour change. I decided to do two test strands to see how much time I needed to get the results I was looking for. I cut small sections out (like 20 hairs)-but I have thick long hair. I made sure to include some of the highlighted bits too (as the henna will absorb super-fast in those sections). I mixed a little bit of henna and put it on the strip. One I checked at 20 and then 30 and the other I left for two hours. The one I left for two was a super badass colour but way to bright for me at this point—like a shiny penny. Maybe I’ll go for it when I really want a change, it is pretty awesome! Anyway, the one that had processed for 30 mins had a red tone instead of blonde—which, as I said, is what I was looking for. I will say that, if I were going to go full out, I would leave it on for many hours. Even the girl in the store (who henna’s frequently) suggested that. It apparently will deepen the colour. I’m also interested to see how the colour will intensify.

Okay, so I chopped the henna up with a big knife—like you would chocolate—and put the plastic bow in another bowl of hot water. Then I poured in a little water at a time and let it sit a few mins and then stirred with chopsticks until it was smooth brownie batter consistency. Yes, it smells like hay and ass, but once you get used to it it’s not that bad and I also think it’s a million times better than ammonia. Maybe it’s only because I left it on for 30-40 mins but today my hair smells like my shampoo/conditioner, though once and a while I get a tiny whiff of hay that isn’t unpleasant.

The process isn’t that bad. It’s kind of funny actually—and is VERY messy. I put lots of newspaper down on the floor. Kind of wish I put it on the walls because occasionally a blob would fling and splat if I moved my arms too much. I would suggest you do this outside and just be done with it, but with the weather getting cooler just try to be careful and wipe white surfaces ASAP!!! Anyway, I scooped it onto my head, squishing around the roots and then did the ends. Sectioning was hard so being precise didn’t really happen. I used the whole block (because my hair is mid back and very thick) so I had a lot to gob on and massage around. I tried to make sure it was everywhere by using mirrors. Wrap in cling wrap and start twiddling your fingers—or cleaning up the mess (on your skin, all over the bathroom, etc) haha. I waited a full half hour because it took about 10 mins to get the stuff on and I do start the timer once the first blob goes on my head. So that was 40 mins for me. Do your test strip. If you don’t want to cut it off, do it under your hair at the back.

Washing out was bad but not that bad. First, I filled the tub ¼ and dunked my head a few times, working it out. Drained the tub of the DARK BROWN/GREEN water-hahah. Then I plugged the drain again and put my head under the running faucet, then dunked a few more times. Then I got in the shower and did one shampoo. I was trying to conserve water so I did a lot of dunking and it did help. If you fully submerge your heard then kind of run your fingers through your hair, it does come out. By the second shampoo, I could less little “seeds”. Finally, I put in conditioner and used my wide tooth comb to gently comb-from the bottom of the hair up. Dunk, dunk, and you’re done. My bathtub is green where there was soap scum. It’s like exposing my cleaning sins. Guess I will have to work harder this time! Oh, one last note about washing out. Make sure the water runs clear or you will have drips next time it rains (the girl at Lush told me this).

Anyway, I put my product in and styled and was very happy with the SUBTLE changes. In my opinion, it was worth the work, and really only took me an hour once I started. Someone at work looked at me and said “wow! I never noticed how red your hair was before—looks nice!!” I’m so happy to be back in the red head club-and glad that I didn’t have to destroy my hair or the environment to do this!

Next time maybe I’ll go full on-who knows.

I’m interested to see it oxidized in a few days.

Update: It's two days later and the colour still looks great! I'm so pleased. I've has so many compliments! People are talking about how brown my eyes are. They are saying things like "wow, I never realized how red your hair is! It looks great!". I'm going to keep up with the 6 week maintenance--next time I may leave it on longer!