December 18, 2014 | 855 users online

Masks - Oatmeal Mask

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 8/29/2013 6:17:00 AM More reviews by ohhhoney

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Been using oatmeal for many months now. Thank god I found out about the goodness of oatmeal! It's super cheap and effective!

I have rosacea and sebb dermatitis diagnosed by the doctor and been using this once every week as a scrub. When I went back to the doc, she was shocked at how much improvement I made..

I use this as a scrub - just grab a bunch, add some water and mash them up in a bowl for a min - rub it all over gently and rinse off after a minute :)

I sometimes use it with plain yoghurt as a leave on mask for about 20 mins too. Works good in both ways!

ohhhoney.wordpress.com
I highly recommend oatmeal as a cheap, effective scrub and mask for people with sensitive, reactive skin. It only made my skin better over time. (But pls, don't be over zealous in scrubbing. It dried out my skin totally when I used it 3 times a week at the start).

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2013 3:16:00 PM More reviews by Rockz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been using oatmeal for about a year;
- As a mask
- As breakfast (really yummy with a banana <3)

It's really, really gentle.
Seriously. I've had dry, flaky, sensitive, acne-prone/healing skin and this mask did won-ders for my skin. I tried Bubzbeauty's method (look it up on YouTube!) and week after week, I noticed my scars started to fade, my complexion became less red, the flakiness decreased by 80% and most importantly... no acne!.
Nowadays I only exfoliate twice/three times a week, because my complexion is 90% clear, I kid you not. CLEAR!
Because of this I stopped using Differin, I just don't need it anymore
When I don't want to exfoliate, and want a ''quickie-mask'', I only use the milky substance as mask for 10 min and my skin is moisturized, fresh and soft again.

This is my HG mask. Period.
The only warning I want to give, is to not 'over-exfoliate' everyday, that WLL make your skin red and even more sensitive. Moderate exfoliation is the key to beautiful skin.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2013 9:17:00 PM More reviews by peacelovepatchouli

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

i started using oatmeal as a daily face wash. i bought the 18oz tub from whole foods. it is their 365 brand old fashioned rolled oats. it is usda organic and vegan. i follow the instructions from bubz beauty: take a fistful of oats, run warm water through fingers to get the oats wet and rub it all over the face and neck. i massage the oats in for about a minute, until the mixture starts to get dry. then i rinse it off and pat my skin dry. my skin is very dry and i don't even feel the need to moisturize after this! it is soothing, moisturizing and mildly exfoliating. my mild acne has got better too, and i've only been washing my face with oatmeal for about five or six days. it is amazing!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2013 12:27:00 AM More reviews by thevnilly

I grind up regular oats and keep the powder in a baggie and simply mix a palm full with water. It's a great, gentle cleanser whenever my skin is irritated or sunburned. It's also been there for me when I've run out of my usual facial cleanser and haven't been able to get more. The only cons are sometimes little pieces get caught in my hair and it can be quite messy and drain-clogging. So, be sure to rinse off at your kitchen sink if you plan on using it often.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2013 3:21:00 AM More reviews by dr1990

Love this! Got something called prickly heat or heat rash and my face got reallly itchy with these little puss filled bumps. It was a nightmare. Well i've had this issue before and its a nightmare everytime. I got the idea of oatmeal as a face wash from bubzbeauty and it saved my face. It took awhile for the heat rash to clear up the first time i tried it but this time it only took 2 days to see a big difference in my skin. So i would recommend this to anyone.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2013 3:41:00 AM More reviews by nattiekins05

I think all of us can remember at one time or another, using oatmeal in our bath for its soothing and anti-inflamitory properties. I know as a kid, when I got really badly sunburned, when i got the chicken-pox or had a skin reaction- my mom bought these little packets of oatmeal and other natural ingredients that Aveno sold at the drug store, and I believe they still do. As I've gotten older, I have seen the use of oatmeal evolve from eating oatmeal, to using it in my bath water, to trying natural bars of oatmeal soap, to different face masks that you can make homemade to help with redness, inflamation, and help soothe badly broken out skin. Many lotions at the drug store have oatmeal in them as well (I know Aveno is a brand that uses oatmeal a lot, I also use a baby lotion by Johnson & Johnson that is made of honey and oatmeal- that I absolutley love). With that being said, nothing compares to the real thing, making your own mask ir scrub- with ingredients that you can tailor to fit your needs. For the last two months, I have been using oatmeal at least 3x a week- normally just a basic mask that I use in place of an exfoliator at nightime. I wash my face clean, apply the mask, wash it off, apply my toner like i normally would after my cleanser, and then apply my nighttime moisturizer. I will tell you beforehand- if you are an impatient person, or you want results overnight... you are looking in the wrong place. It took me a few weeks of being consistent before I really saw the results- of smooth, hydrated skin that calmed down dark spots and inflamed breakouts. This 'mask' would be used as an exfoliator, and afterward I would leave it on as a mask for 30mins before washing it off. Now there are several ways to make an oatmeal mask- I like all of them, and dont really have a preference of one over the other. 1. Start off by grinding your rolled oats. You dont need a ton- I usually use 1/2 cup, to make sure it covers all my face and neck- and I find this is the perfect amount. Toss them in a coffee grinder, and grind them up like you would coffee beans. Now, I like to grind mine up until the oats become very fine, you may like yours a little less fine... You can experiment with this later- depending upon how gritty you want your exfoliator to be. The less fine they are- the more grit and the more harsh they will be, its just a matter of opinion. 2. Add a bit of hot water- i usually add 5 tablespoons and go from there. You want the consistency to be easy enough for you to spread on your face- and that may take more or less water depending upon how fine your oats are. 3. If you have super dry skin, you can also add a bit of milk. Again, there isnt an exact amount, because it depends upon the size of your oats. I usually add half water/half milk, and I love it. (Before I started using the oatmeal, i would rub milk on my face after I washed it, to help soothe dry, red skin. Now that I use oatmeal, I combine the milk to save myself a step later on).
4. The last ingredient is honey. I dont measure this either, I just add a spoonful and blend it in really well. I started buying this all natural honey that comes in a try- with the honeycomb on the outside and the nice layers of honey on the inside. It's a bit expensive, but i use it in many of ny homemade beauty products and it seems to be working really well.
When you are done mixing, take your fingers and apply the mixture to your face. Be generous, and apply evenly all over your face, and I like applying to my neck as well. After I have applied the whole mixture, in circular motions, I rub it into my skin like an exfoliator- making sure to pay extra attention to my nose and my forehead where I usually get blackheads. After a few minutes of exfoliating, I leave it on my skin for 20-30mins, or until it comes close to drying. I take a warm washcloth and rinse all of the mixture off of my face. Once everything is removed, I sometimes use a toner (and sometimes not, depending on the condition of my skin that day), and then finish off with my nighttime moisturizer.
I would recommend this to anyone who wants to try something new, or someone who is moving towards all natural products. I have tried so many products, spent so much money on products that give empty promises- that usually just end up making me break out, or drying my skin so bad that it hurts. I have moved towards natural products- using oatmeal, honey, lemon, milk, olive oil, coconut oil, and different essential oils for break outs and moisture... I am having more luck with products I make on my own than I ever did with high end products. Give it a try and see if it works for you... Its cheap, most of these items you usually have on hand, so the cost is very minimal. I love it, and have enjoyed trying all these new things. 5 lippies for oatmeal!

20 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2013 2:22:00 AM More reviews by luxferi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is pretty awesome stuff! I was a skeptic, but a week in, I changed my tune. My skin is sensitive, and gets red easily (rosacea), but since I use oatmeal, it has become calmer. It is a very gentle exfoliant - I use this daily at night and I think it helps prevent pores from getting clogged compared to a routine whereby I only exfoliate once or twice a week. I still use a scrub (St Ives Apricot scrub with 2% Salicylic Acid) but only when I feel my skin is not as smooth anymore. Always, always be gentle when scrubbing your skin. It's extremely easy to get broken capillaries and tear your skin.

I ground the oatmeal until it's very fine, then store it a in a container in the bathroom with a scoop that came free with some milk powder. I take about a half palmful, add a little bit of water, stir around into a paste with a finger and carefully pat the oatmeal water onto my face before adding the rest and scrub gently. My skin always glows and pores tighten after that.

Long term results: I think it's beneficial for my easily irritated skin - it keeps it calm and the daily gentle scrubbings work for me better than a once a week deal.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2013 2:53:00 PM More reviews by nayeli28

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a great cleanser to use when your skin is very irritated, but after while it actually becomes too gentle. I would recommend this about once a week that way you can actually see results even after a while. Other than that it does miracles!!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2013 3:04:00 AM More reviews by jamface17

My skin is oily, acne-prone and sensitive. It also clogs EXTREMELY easily.

I first decided to use oatmeal on my face about a year ago. My skin was going through a really bad stage. I'd always have one or two breakouts on my face and reddened acne marks and after trying out different skincare products to help it and then needing to wear foundation more often to cover all the discolouration, my skin was looking like absolute crap. The foaming cleanser I was using at the time was just not cutting it, in fact, it made my skin look even more aggravated. My cheeks were bumpy and my skin looked patchy.

I had heard that oatmeal could be used as a cleanser for sensitive skin so I thought I might as well give it a try. Since it's just oatmeal, no chemicals or other additives, I really had nothing to lose. Buying a big packet from the supermarket is definitely cost effective but so inconvenient. I poured some into a plastic water bottle which made it so much easier to use and take into the shower.

I used oatmeal as a facial cleanser every morning and night. I poured about a tablespoon in my palm and soaked it with warm water. I then squeezed out most of the milky water to massage into my face. I then used the remaining oatmeal on my face. It was a really nice change. I found that it wasn't quite strong enough to be an exfoliator but it worked soooo well as a daily cleanser. My skin which was clogged and ridden with red spots was starting to clear up. After a few weeks of using this, I felt my face and it was so smooth, a feeling I hadn't experienced in a long time. My cheeks weren't clogged anymore and redness was slowly going away. My pores on my cheeks also didn't look as obvious anymore. I also didn't experience any bad breakouts!

Despite the wonderful effect oatmeal had on my skin, I stopped using it after about 4 months. My skin definitely experienced the benefits of oatmeal but after a while, my skin started acting up again. Perhaps my skin reacted so well initially cos it was such a difference from using stronger cleansers. Even though my skin had calmed down, I was breaking out more and more and getting really oily too. Oatmeal soon became too gentle in maintaining clear skin.

I've reverted back to using Cetaphil's gentle skin cleanser. It certainly doesn't have the benefits of oatmeal but it feels gentle and is a lot less messy. So at this stage, I won't be buying anymore oatmeal. My skin is still not looking great but I've started seeing a dermatologist to try and clear up my skin woes.

I definitely recommend giving oatmeal a try if your skin ever goes through a bad flare-up. Since it's natural, it gives your skin a nice break from everything else. Once skin starts to calm down, you can always go back to your regular skincare routine : ).

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/30/2013 4:10:00 AM More reviews by Ditaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I wish I could say I love it. In fact it breaks me out a little :( It contributes to the new buildups all over my face, but it enlights my skin and leaves my skin supple and smoth.