September 20, 2014 | 1165 users online

Lipstick - New York Color - 309B Sheer Red

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 10/30/2011 6:57:00 PM More reviews by leeli86

This is a really nice toned down red that's everyday appropriate. There are a lot of pluses to this lippie, the price (less than a dollar), the formulation is smooth and moisturizing, the packaging is cheap but functional. My only complaient is that the wear time, like with a lot of moisturizing lipsticks , kind of sucks. I definitely recommend layering this over a lipliner to get the longest wear possible. I think this shade would also be a good baby step into reds for those that don't regularly rock screaming retro red lipstick but want to branch out from the pink/nude lip. Addmittedly I'm one of those girls who likes the full on red lip but sheer red is much more work appropriate while still giving a bit of colour to the face. Overall it's a good buy and if you decide red is just not for you you're only out 97 cents or so.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/11/2011 10:19:00 PM More reviews by waffle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Oh, I had high hopes for this one. This was recommended to me as a good "starter" red for my PPP, cool-toned self. I'm used to a natural, light rose lip, so I was hoping this was a sheer, true red. But it's much more opaque than I was expecting (I guess I was expecting like a pigmented lip balm). Nars La Dolce Vita lipstick is sheerer, in comparison. And as for the color -- it was a dark fuchsia on me. Bleh. And the smell! Even though I applied 1 very light coat (and then wiped it completely off), the scent of cheap fruity grape lingered. Such a disappointment! I really wanted this to work.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/7/2011 4:21:00 PM More reviews by divinei

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I picked this lipstick up after hearing a YouTube Guru's review. It is NOT sheer, so I feel the name is misleading. This lipstick feels creamy to me; therefore, the staying power is not great, but it doesn't dry out my lips either.

The color is fabulous on my pale, slighty yellow-toned skin. How I like to apply this: lip balm, lipstick, blot, lip balm. This process makes it okay for day or work. At night, I wear it full strength with clear lip liner.

I like this shade quite a bit, and have recommended it to friends. I would repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2011 12:25:00 PM More reviews by minimad

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Beautiful color but doesn't stay on lips long enough to enjoy it.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/8/2011 7:38:00 PM More reviews by WantonWonton

My favorite lipstick so far. It's highly pigmented, and slides on perfectly. It's a super glassy looking sangria color- and it stays beautifully glossy for hours. Fantastic dark red color. Retailed for a dollar at CVS, amazing value! It smells really fruity too.

Cons:
transfers easily (which may be a problem for your significant others if they don't want dark red smudges on their face!) so it may need reapplication,
terrible misnomer-- this is by no means a sheer red, but a heavily pigmented carnelian with purple undertones,
terrible packaging! be super careful opening and closing because it will not retract all the way. also it took me a second to figure out that you should take the packaging stickers off first.
melt warning! this lipstick is super soft so don't leave it around in the sun or heat!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2011 12:49:00 AM More reviews by Chelles93

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Not sheer at all. It's a brick red, and doesn't work with my cool skin.

Doesn't last more than an hour, either.

I really, really want a sheer red - I've tried a dozen glosses but nothing works. Had high hopes for this but it just didn't work for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/15/2011 6:26:00 PM More reviews by Petruskha

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Many years ago, when all the other girls were doing the no-lipstick, long, straight,center-parted hair, and maybe some blue eyeshadow and a swipe of mascara thing, yours truly was wearing opaque cherry lip color( and a chin-length bob) .My husband told me that's one of the first things he noticed about me. Fast forward some thirty years, and I'm still an incurable sucker for red lips. However, the lip line having lost some definition over time makes it harder to pull of the the full-on reds I'd wear so easily then. This little wonder is a great choice for those of us to indulge our passion. My only complaint is the packaging, but I always have a backup in case of breakage. I can't understand why some girls are afraid of red lips- our mothers and grandmothers wore red lipstick with jeans (only they called them dungarees then) and thought nothing of it. So try this shade-you have nothing to lose save a buck or two - it"s certainly an economical way to add some color to your life.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2011 8:59:00 PM More reviews by ashe1snow

This is my new HG red lipstick! Amazing especially for the $1 I spent on it, this is the first shade that has not had an orange tinge to it on me (usually red lipstick makes me look as though I just had spaghetti sauce or something, not pretty) I love the consistency, not dry and not sticky. Does not have a gross smell to it surprisingly either....will repurchase, again again and again!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2011 9:47:00 PM More reviews by amaizeingndn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

this is the best red lipstick ever, IMO. I have been searching for the perfect red, and I've found several colors I really love, but the texture has always been the problem. Revlon's matte reds are really great colors, but are too heavy for me- I feel like they make my lips overpower everything else on my face, no matter how I try to sheer it out. I also really love Nars Gipsy, but it's TOO sheer. This is just the right balance for me though- not so sheer that it has to be layered on, but not so opaque that it overwhelms everything else. It's a great true red color, not too pink (which I personally hate) and the price doesn't get any better- I got mine for 99 cents at CVS. I was afraid that the cap wouldn't stay on, since cheaper cosmetics usually show their price in their packaging, but I haven't had any problem with it, and I carry it with me all the time, either in my purse or even in my pocket. I cannot recommend this product enough, whether you're a pro at red lipstick or a beginner, I think this will work for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2011 3:27:00 AM More reviews by sara_smiles426

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This is my new everyday lipstick.

It has the kick of a red lipstick, but it tones it down enough to wear its appropriate for almost any circumstance. Its moisturizing, great color, smell is good, staying power is above average, and its easy to work with.

It actually is somewhat sheer, so its a wash of a strong color. The effect is a more laid-back 1940s color. Its beautiful, its perfect. I love it.