New York Color 309B Sheer Red

4.2

Price: $

Price: $

Castor Seed Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Ozokerite, Candelilla Wax, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Ceresin, PPG-2 Myristyl Ether Propionate, Beeswax, Lanolin Oil, PEG-4 Diheptanoate, Petrolatum, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Carnauba Wax, Hydrogenated Microcrystalline Wax, Tridecyl Stearate, Neopentyl Glycol, Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Fragrance, Propylparaben, Tin Oxide, Silica. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Red 6 Lake, Red 7 Lake, Red 27 Lake, Yellow 10 Lake, Blue 1 Lake, Carmine

on 11/14/2011 1:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is a beautiful lipstick. Why? Because its color is gorgeous, but it's NOT very pigmented, hence the name "Sheer Red." You'd think that would be a turnoff, but it makes the lipstick is even better. It creates a beautiful, classy stain or wash of medium red that seems appropriate for all skintones (maybe more for wamer ones as it's slightly brickish red). Plus, it's never drying, doesn't slide around, dry into lip cracks, or settle onto outer lip lines. Over a lip balm, it looks slightly glossy (not matte) yet very mature.
My only problem with this lippie is its lack of staying power, but reapplying it isn't a pain or anything. I'll definitely be repurchasing this, and for .99 cents? Yes please!

on 11/6/2011 11:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Wow- 99 Cents! As others have mentioned this is not sheer,but semi-opaque. A few swipes and the color is well saturated. Nice amount of moisture in this l/s. To further the length of wear I applied and blotted twice. Still left my lips fairly moist. Sheer red is a brick red-- very close to MAC's Dubonnet ( which does dry my lips out if I don't apply a balm after an hour). Left a stain on my lips after 6 hrs. and a few glasses of wine. The smell is mild, somewhat fruity and dissipates after a few mins. The only con is the packaging. OK, I admit I'm a makeup snob and love the packaging of my Armani , Guerlain and Tom Ford l/s! But this color and texture is gorgeous!! Took off one lippie for the fragile, clear plastic cap (something that won't last if dropped on a hard surface).

on 11/1/2011 11:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I love wearing red lipstick, but there are many occasions when wearing bright red lipstick is inappropriate. Enter N.Y.C. Sheer Red. It's a cool-toned brick red. With one swipe, it gives a natural-looking red lip that's very wearable. With a few more coats, it's a more dramatic color that's quite flattering. It feels comfortable on and has a slightly glossy finish. If I put too many coats, it does get a bit slick and can smear easily, so watch out. I like the smell; I think it smells like grapefruit. But I know not everyone like scented lipsticks. The one major problem is the packaging. The plastic cap is easily cracked, and since the lipstick doesn't twist all the way down it is very easy to sheer the top of it off with the lid. But I guess it's cheap for a reason.

on 10/30/2011 6:57:00 PM

This is a really nice toned down red that's everyday appropriate. There are a lot of pluses to this lippie, the price (less than a dollar), the formulation is smooth and moisturizing, the packaging is cheap but functional. My only complaient is that the wear time, like with a lot of moisturizing lipsticks , kind of sucks. I definitely recommend layering this over a lipliner to get the longest wear possible. I think this shade would also be a good baby step into reds for those that don't regularly rock screaming retro red lipstick but want to branch out from the pink/nude lip. Addmittedly I'm one of those girls who likes the full on red lip but sheer red is much more work appropriate while still giving a bit of colour to the face. Overall it's a good buy and if you decide red is just not for you you're only out 97 cents or so.

on 10/11/2011 10:19:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Oh, I had high hopes for this one. This was recommended to me as a good "starter" red for my PPP, cool-toned self. I'm used to a natural, light rose lip, so I was hoping this was a sheer, true red. But it's much more opaque than I was expecting (I guess I was expecting like a pigmented lip balm). Nars La Dolce Vita lipstick is sheerer, in comparison. And as for the color -- it was a dark fuchsia on me. Bleh. And the smell! Even though I applied 1 very light coat (and then wiped it completely off), the scent of cheap fruity grape lingered. Such a disappointment! I really wanted this to work.

on 9/7/2011 4:21:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I picked this lipstick up after hearing a YouTube Guru's review. It is NOT sheer, so I feel the name is misleading. This lipstick feels creamy to me; therefore, the staying power is not great, but it doesn't dry out my lips either.

The color is fabulous on my pale, slighty yellow-toned skin. How I like to apply this: lip balm, lipstick, blot, lip balm. This process makes it okay for day or work. At night, I wear it full strength with clear lip liner.

I like this shade quite a bit, and have recommended it to friends. I would repurchase.

on 7/12/2011 12:25:00 PM

Beautiful color but doesn't stay on lips long enough to enjoy it.

My favorite lipstick so far. It's highly pigmented, and slides on perfectly. It's a super glassy looking sangria color- and it stays beautifully glossy for hours. Fantastic dark red color. Retailed for a dollar at CVS, amazing value! It smells really fruity too.

Cons:
transfers easily (which may be a problem for your significant others if they don't want dark red smudges on their face!) so it may need reapplication,
terrible misnomer-- this is by no means a sheer red, but a heavily pigmented carnelian with purple undertones,
terrible packaging! be super careful opening and closing because it will not retract all the way. also it took me a second to figure out that you should take the packaging stickers off first.
melt warning! this lipstick is super soft so don't leave it around in the sun or heat!

on 6/30/2011 12:49:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Not sheer at all. It's a brick red, and doesn't work with my cool skin.

Doesn't last more than an hour, either.

I really, really want a sheer red - I've tried a dozen glosses but nothing works. Had high hopes for this but it just didn't work for me.

on 5/15/2011 6:26:00 PM

Many years ago, when all the other girls were doing the no-lipstick, long, straight,center-parted hair, and maybe some blue eyeshadow and a swipe of mascara thing, yours truly was wearing opaque cherry lip color( and a chin-length bob) .My husband told me that's one of the first things he noticed about me. Fast forward some thirty years, and I'm still an incurable sucker for red lips. However, the lip line having lost some definition over time makes it harder to pull of the the full-on reds I'd wear so easily then. This little wonder is a great choice for those of us to indulge our passion. My only complaint is the packaging, but I always have a backup in case of breakage. I can't understand why some girls are afraid of red lips- our mothers and grandmothers wore red lipstick with jeans (only they called them dungarees then) and thought nothing of it. So try this shade-you have nothing to lose save a buck or two - it"s certainly an economical way to add some color to your life.

Popular Lipsticks