Eve Lom Cleanser

3.5

Mineral Oil, Peg-30 Lanolin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Aluminum Stearate, Cocoa Seed Butter, Peg-75 Lanolin, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil, Clove Leaf Oil, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Hops Cone Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, BHT, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben.

on 5/20/2013 11:34:00 PM

There is no doubt that my skin LOVES this product-it always feels amazing after I use it. The product smells great and feels divine on my skin as it's a thick, almost waxy luxurious paste.
Unfortunately this product is time consuming as there are multiple steps involved with holding hot and cold cloths to your face. For this reason and the fact that it is very expensive I only use it once a week which is a shame as it really does deliver excellent results. I also don't think that it is best used in the shower but others might not agree with me here.
I would only recommend this product to people who have the time, money and energy to use this product daily. Also you need to wash the cloth after every few applications so I recommend purchasing a few cloths.
Saying that I do understand why it has been referred to by beauty experts as the 'best cleanser in the world.'

on 5/6/2013 11:02:00 AM

Got a sample size of this... the cleanser seems fine. The muslin cloth seems pretty gimmicky, to me. It does not stay hot from tap to face, like a regular washcloth would. It removed makeup just fine, but nothing special.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Oh Eve Lom Cleanser, how I love thee...
The original balm cleanser, predating the Emma Hardie's and the LEarle's by the late 1980 (90?), this poor cleanser is a divisive little badger, some love it, and others (most, ha!) hate it. I am on the loving side of things, and dare I say it... HG side of things with this baby. Prior to this, and I'm being totally honest here, I would NEVER take my make-up off before going to bed. NEVER. However, this year I decided that I wanted to make a change, because my skin was starting to suffer- it had turned grey, lost its vitality and just didn't look youthful anymore... which is horrible because it's SUPPOSED to look youthful at my age! Anyway, so I realized that at the heart of my problems, was my idiotic make-up removal routine, or lack there-of and I decided to transition to a new, balm based cleanser, because anything else I'd used prior to this: gel/cream/solution/soap/water/lotion (lol) had all just been a pain to use and had put me off the idea of getting make-up off my face. After doing some research, considering LEarle, EHardie and even Boots Botanics, I decided to bite the bullet and go for the travel size tub of Eve Lom's cleanser. The reason I chose it was primarily because of the little routine that Lom, perhaps the most renowned facialist this side of the world has recommended, to be precise, regimented- it seemed like a fun activity to add some spark into a routine that is otherwise boring.
This smells a little waxy and odd in the pot, but when you do the 'opening pores' section of the cleansing routine, I find that the smell of cloves and oranges just relaxes and refreshes me at the same time. So, I don't really understand what alot of people are talking about here when they complain about the smell... I also have slightly sensitive, slightly dry skin, however this has thankfully not reacted badly to my skin, in fact, I think it's contributed to an improvement in my skin. As a cleanser, this is totally effective (IF you follow Eve's method, and why wouldn't you, after buying her product, right?) it takes off the last traces of my face and cheek make-up - for eyes and lips, I use a micellar solution- and there is not a trace of anything left when I go back with a cotton pad to tone my skin.
The routine is not cumbersome either, it takes LESS than 3 minutes, and just leaves you feeling so calm and relaxed before bed. I adore this, and I understand why sensitive skins may react negatively to this because of the oils present in it, so I might suggest that very sensitive skins stay away from it, but for drier and even oily skins (your skin NEEDS sebum even if you're oily) I think this is a great way to clean your skin without stripping it in a way that other cleansers and soaps do. I am a firm believer in the no-soap strategy, unless it's Laszlo of course, and I think balm cleansers, and particularly EL are here to stay for me.

on 4/5/2013 11:53:00 AM

Im a big eve lom fan, I use quite a few the products & they work a treat for my skin. I use this cleanser with the muslin cloths & my skin feels so fresh and unclogged. It smooths my face and I feel alot brighter after cleansing. The smell is not the most enticing but its not that big a deal for me. Although I find it is a bit pricey, as I have sensitive skin, when I find something that works well I stick to it! I do have to say on the bad side I dont enjoy scraping the cleanser out of that darn container though -.-

I love using hot cloth cleansers, but usually find cream versions (like Liz Earle) more effective on my skin than balms. They are easier to dispense (when available in pumps), less 'messy' to use, and my skin finds them less heavy and likely to clog pores. Nevertheless, I had to at least try this cult product. Unfortunately, it broke me out in little whiteheads - just like my experiences with Ponds Cold Cream, which also has paraffinum liquidum as its number one listed ingredient. Though this was, of course, a rather more expensive breakout, seeing as I paid over 50 for 100ml (compared with Ponds which is priced in the UK at 50ml for under a fiver!) So, too heavy for my combination skin (normal cheeks, oil-prone T zone), which seems to prefer plant oils to mineral oil for cleansing.
NB If your skin is also averse to high mineral oil content but you're keen on using balms, it might be worth trying the Amazing Face by Emma Hardie version - first listed ingredient grapeseed oil - which left my skin comparably softer and clearer, and also had a much nicer smell! Nevertheless, my personal preference remains for hot cloth cleansers in cream form, my current favourites being Elemis Pro-Radiance, LE Cleanse and Polish, and Soap & Glory's Fab Pore cleanser.

on 4/3/2013 2:37:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

If my skin weren't so sensitive, I think I would be a cult follower of this cleanser. Unfortunately, my skin doesn't like strong concentrations of essential oils. Either the clove or camphor, probably, stings my skin and makes it very red. I had to wash off the cleanser afterwards to stop the stinging, which defeats the purpose of this sort of cleansing.

I adore the herbal-medicinal scent, and love the concept of oil/balm cleansers. I do find they help to clean out my clogged pores better than most foaming cleansers.

I purchased the try-me kit with the two tiny pots, 1 muslin cloth, two other creams (haven't bothered to try), and the instructions for the facial and lymphatic massage.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine

I don't dislike this product and i do think eve lom are quality products at an affordable price, having said this - i wish they made the smell a little bit more bearable, i really struggle to use it every day due to the horrible stink it has and jump to my Emma Hardie cleanser instead. Having said this, it cleans the skin quite well - definitely better than mousses/face gels. I still use a diff. make up remover for my eyes as it leaves panda eyes.

on 3/14/2013 6:02:00 AM

I love this cleanser and would never use anything else now. i have in the past used liz earle (which is do like), clarins, guerlain, simple, ysl, origins and many more.
I love the muslin cloth and its really not that time consuming at all. u dont need an additional exfoliater or toner. my skin always feel really clean after.
i hang my muslin cloth on the radiatior and use them for 2-3 days before washing.
it doesnt irritate my skin and removes all traces of makeup and eye makeup.
Yes its expensive but is well worth it!!
I have combination skin, this doesnt dry my skin out all or cause any breakouts.
Love it!!

on 2/26/2013 7:52:00 PM

I'm not a big fan of this cleanser. Personally don't like the smell and don't like the ideal of using the muslin cloth, it's time consuming and I don't feel like it is working anything for me. I prefer using a simple gel cleanser instead

on 2/20/2013 12:23:00 PM

My review is based only on a 2 time experience after being given an Eve Lom sample and the muslin cloth. Combo dry skin, 33 years old, Asian woman. My skin loved this cleanser or maybe just the exfoliation of the cloth, it is hard to say. But I CAN say after doing the full ritual, my skin felt super soft, cleansed, and supple. It felt amazingly clean yet not dry whatsoever, which is amazing. I also had no teeny whiteheads which tends to happen after I use a mineral-oil based cleanser even one time (like Ponds, for ex), so maybe this oil is higher quality or the ingredients just work together better. Either way, while my skin loved it, my wallet would not. The fragrance is noticeable but I actually love those medicinal, eucalyptus type smells (v similar to Caudalie Beauty Elixir). Happy to experience it as a sample but would not spend that much money on just a cleanser I would need to rebuy. I get similar effects from my Mia and Cetaphil.

EDIT 3/1/13 - took off 2 lippies. After just 4 cleanses, I developed 4 blemishes on my chin and forehead. This was the only new product so I can only imagine the oils were the culprit since I rarely breakout gratefully.. Too bad. It was really effective as a moisturizing cleanser! Just not willing to endure breakouts for it.