Aura Cacia Apricot Kernel Oil

4.4

PRUNUS ARMENIACA (APRICOT) KERNEL OIL, D-ALPHA TOCOPHERYL ACETATE (VITAMIN E ACETATE).

on 3/19/2008 9:30:00 AM

I love love love this oil.
After experimenting with EVOO as a facial moisturizer (first few days, awesome -- then, bumps bumps bumps), with disappointing results, I did a little research, including picking up a guide to essential oils & aromatherapy. In the section on carrier oils (ie, apricot kernel, grapeseed, olive, jojoba, sweet almond, etc), I was surprised to find that it recommended only using EVOO when diluted by 10%. Hmmmm. So maybe it wasn't EVOO's fault after all. Plus, I'd been reading great reviews here about Apricot Kernel Oil, so....
Here's my new facial moisturizing oil:

9 teaspoons Apricot Kernel Oil
1 teaspoons EVOO
added to this:
10 drops Geranium Essential Oil
5 drops Lemon Essential Oil
5 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
5 drops Lavender Essential Oil

I combined all oils in a cobalt-blue glass bottle I picked up at Whole Foods (they had a bunch with the Aura Cacia & other essential oil products), which has an atomizer top. Shake very well upon mixing, and again before each use. After washing & toning, I spray two small squirts in my hand, rub palms together well to warm, & press into my face, including eye area. I then spend a few minutes massaging this into my face and onto my neck. I've found that all the oil is absorbed -- any excess you can blot off with a dry face cloth.

I've been using this combo for one week now, and have found that my skin is NOT getting shiny during the day -- it keeps a fresh, dewy look, & I don't need to blot! No breakouts, and red marks from pimples past are definitely fading (Geranium oil is very healing). FYI: I'm 36, very fair skin (seriously -- the whitest girl on the block) that's mostly normal but oily in the t-zone & dry in the winter. Annoying breakouts (there always seems to be ONE pimple to spoil everything) but more annoying is that even after the pimple is gone, the redness takes forever to fade. So far, this seems to be both moisturizing my skin, taking care of mid-day shine, and healing old spots. Yay!

on 2/20/2008 3:00:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I've used oils for many years, mostly extra light (not virgin) olive oil and avocado - for my face and body. I also have tried sweet almond (hydrating, but not emollient enough), sesame, sunflower, (these two were just not enough for me), etc. I couldn't find an eye cream that didn't irritate my eyes so I was using the olive oil, but it was kind of irritating my sinuses. Based on the reviews here, I decided to try Apricot Kernel and I love it for my eyes. I still use the olive and avocado for my face - and olive oil mixed in my body lotion (20%) - but this has a little more staying power than both the avocado and olive, which is what I want for my undereyes. It's exactly what I was looking for, for my eyes. I use it under my concealer during the day and don't find that's it's too much, but my under eye area is very dry. Love it. I don't like the top for this though, it squirts out too much, so I switched it with a pump I had.

on 12/30/2007 11:01:00 AM

I like this best of the pure oils I've tried - DHC's Olive Virgin Oil, jojoba, avocado, and EVOO. It blends into the skin better than the others. I use this alone or add a few drops to another product. I've had no sensitivity or breakouts using this. It's a skincare staple for me.

Tip for any natural oil: The bottles they come in are usually lousy. Try an empty eyedrop bottle.

on 2/15/2007 10:07:00 PM

I have been using this around my eyes during the harsh winter months and am very satisfied with it. More moisturizing than my usual Burt's Repair Serum. Also an excellent all-around body oil. All at a good price.

on 12/14/2006 2:46:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

UPDATE: Avocado is even better for my aging skin. Less clogging too.

Fabulous oil. I like this even better than the Almond version. Scent is a light fruity nut that smells delicious. I use it to take off my mu and moisturize my entire body & neck. You just don't need anything else.

on 5/8/2006 12:20:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

After using this fabulous oil, I don't want to go back to using body lotions. This has a light feel and really soaks into the skin, leaving it silky. It smells lightly fruity and nutty and leaves a light sheen. I use it to remove makeup and moisturize face and body skin.

on 2/11/2006 5:32:00 PM

This makes a great carrier oil to use with EO's. I use it as a massage oil, a skin conditioner, and when I make lip balm at home. It's very moisturizing.

I was reading maliastyle's review and relaized I still haven't put one in. And yes... this woman was in her late 40's and not a single wrinkle! This product works well as an eye make-up remover too and I am trying it today as a hot oil treatment. I will let you know how it works.

on 10/17/2005 8:03:00 AM

littlesunshine let me in on the secret of a woman she'd met who had not a single line on her face - apricot kernel oil. I've been using this inexpensive, lightly textured oil as my eye treatment, and it's been so lovely. It absorbs quickly (but not quick enough a morning treatment, so I only use it at night), glides on (it is an oil, after all) and leaves your skin feeling silky and smooth. I bought a bottle for $7 at Nutrition House, although they have an enormous bottle for under $20. Due to the fact I'm only using it around my eyes (I couldn't use this on the rest of my face - I'm too oily), the bottle I bought (50 ml, perhaps?) will last me forever. Other uses: Apricot Kernel Oil is apparently wonderful for facial massages, soothes inflammation, and is particularly good for dehydrated, dry skin.

Popular Treatments (Face)