December 18, 2014 | 1657 users online

Scrubs - Sugar

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2012 1:40:00 PM More reviews by reaperangelique

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Plain sugar, a little olive oil and a squeeze of lemon/orange juice and I have amazingly smooth skin with very little effort- I do it once or twice weekly and it's better and cheaper than anything else I could use. Fantastic for chapped lips, too!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2011 5:41:00 PM More reviews by cindy604

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Update: since moving further North in Canada, I've had to combat more dryness and sensitivity on my face. I now mix 50% honey with 50% brown sugar with no other additives as my daily scrub. I use this after washing my face with a Dr. Bronner's dilution, and just rinse off with water in the shower. The honey has helped to keep my skin soft and moist, and the brown sugar is gentle enough for daily use.

---------------------------

This is an extremely versatile and simple product. Depending on how strong or mild you would like the scrub to be, the sugar granule size can be easily changed with some elbow grease. I have no problems with the standard grocery store brown sugar, and I mix it to be 60% sugar, 30% honey, 5% olive oil, and 5% tea tree oil or lemon juice. I keep the mixture in an old jar container to keep the water out and the scrub untouched by critters seeing as how it is just a sweet mixture.

I scrub once a week after washing my face in the shower. With my mixture you do have to work relatively fast before all the sugar and honey melts in the shower. The addition of olive oil really helped, and I have no problems getting into the sides of my nose (which always needs more exfoliation) and focusing on my chin before it all washes off very easily. I follow up with my usual cleanser (Dr. Bronner dilution) to remove all traces of olive oil and honey, and I'm left with baby-soft skin and no scratches or perforations! Although I mainly use it for my face as I use a loofah towel for my body, any rough spots such as elbows and feet can be kept baby-soft with this mixture as well.

There's no way to beat the price as any combination of sugar/honey/olive oil will never cost as much as the cheapest drugstore scrub (e.g. St. Ives or Freeman). I also have peace of mind that it is acting purely as a scrub with no unnecessary additives, and that it's all as footprint-free as it's going to get!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2011 3:02:00 PM More reviews by gursk

LOVE using sugar for a scrub. Makes me feel so much better about the $$ I spend on other stuff. I just add a bit to my cleanser and scrub all over my face. Add a bit of water, lather, rinse & voila. Vibrant, glowing skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2011 9:54:00 AM More reviews by dddoxie

I mix sugar with virgin coconut oil for a lip scrub. Gently exfoliates my dry lips and tastes so yummy!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2011 8:20:00 AM More reviews by anisha12

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Would u buy again? LOL! omg, thanks MUAers!!! I jus thot i'd try adding some sugar to my regular cleanser to make a good face scrub and WOW...u guys r RIGHT! My skin feels sooo incredibly soft and smooth and clean! Definitely gonna spread the word and use this a LOT more!!! Ha! Can't get over it! Just plain ol' sugar! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2011 10:10:00 AM More reviews by lallen08

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I use for body and mani/pedi scrubs, mixed with body wash or oil. For mani/pedi I mix equal parts sugar, table salt, and whatever oil I feel like using. I think it's too harsh for the face.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/2/2011 5:43:00 PM More reviews by Shoshachu

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Other

I used to use this more when younger, often mixed with lemon-juice (great on late teen and early-twenties skin) and often felt a perverse kind of glamour in so doing. A bit like a punk version of A Handmaid's Tale. Generic toothpaste face mask was also a favorite.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2011 1:14:00 PM More reviews by DuchessofGrapes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Oh the possibilities of sugar. I am a huge fan. While I do buy my body scrub in the store, m Tree Hut Shea Scrub is sugar based, so I can still say that sugar works amazing for a body scrub. I don't use any kind of gritty exfoliators on my face, but for the rest of me, I love it. There are also so many benefits to products that use sugar. It helps to retain moisture, is non-irritating, and is also the base for my favorite chemical exfoliant, glycolic acid (well, sugar cane is, but still). The main thing I use sugar for in my beauty regime is for sugar waxing. I have medium to thin hair that comes out with ease from sugaring, with no irritation and hardly any pain. Considering how easy and cheap it is to make, it's a breeze to stay hair, ingrown, and rash free. And yes, I use it EVERYWHERE. Thank you sugar! You've saved me so much money!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2011 1:50:00 PM More reviews by kirikadawn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

Sugar rocks!
In the summer I use it with my shower gel to make a scrub. In the winter with EVOO for a nice moisturizing kick. It's definitely cheap and good and always there.
I do still use storebought scrubs every now and then, simply cause I get bored :P But I always come back to sugar. Because it rocks!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2011 11:22:00 PM More reviews by emkazicstan

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love making sugar exfoliators with extra virgin olive oil and honey. sooo moisturizing and nice!