October 25, 2014 | 1523 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2014 5:54:00 AM More reviews by wooedwiththistles

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Lemme start off by saying allergies to cocoanuts are very common. So tread here lightly. For me I love coconuts. Coconut water, coconut milk , coconut scents, coconut just in general so it only seemed natural to try coconut oil with its many wonderful uses. And the coconut oil I have is the spectrum organic coconut oil I found in the cooking oil area of my grocery store. The coconut oil I have does not have a sent ( that I can detect anyway) which I was hopping for a coconut smell but oh well. Now the first thing I tried was as eye make up remover. I scooped out a pee sized amount and begun to rub it in to my eyes. Now the makeup I use is already hard to get off anyway (benefit they're real and Kat Von D tattoo liner) but I noticed if I let it sit for a while and let it soak in came off a lot easier. Yes I did look like a panda bear but it didn't sting my eyes in made my vision blurry a little bit if I open my eyes while I had the oil on my eyes but there's no Sting whatsoever. I wipe it off with a dry paper towel, I noticed if I use any kind of wet cloth it would just push around the black oil no matter the temp. it's now my go to way of taking my make up off. Next I tried it as leaving oil I rubbed in while my hair was damp. It definitely made my hair softer and more shinier when it was dry. But I prefer argon oil for this task. Next I tried to use it while shaving. Which for me was a disaster. Lol. If I exfoliate my legs however before using it it turned out fantastic. I haven't been brave enough to use it as an all over hair treatment while my hair is dry. If I ever get brave enough I'll definitely update how those results went. But so far I love using it as a makeup remover.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2014 6:24:00 PM More reviews by Arpita1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is an excellent moisturizer for the legs without being greasy. When I use it on my hair, my hair seems to grow a little just from using it. It makes my hair a little darker and softer. Terrific to speed up hair growth.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/19/2014 3:49:00 PM More reviews by Mira99

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

I love coconut oil. First of all I use it as an eye makeup remover it does wonders. I've used plenty of makeup removers and they all irritated my eyes but this oil is perfect it leaves my eyes moisturized and it removes my waterproof mascara. Secondly I use it as a hair conditioner and it's great it leaves my hair shiny and it has many essential nutrients for my hair. Also my mum has this very dry skin so she applied it on her face and slept when she woke up she found her skin very soft and hydrated. I totally love and sure I'll repurchase. The only bad thing about it is the packaging it's in a jar and I make a mess whenever I get some I wish that any brand would make it in a more applicable package.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/18/2014 12:32:00 AM More reviews by kieramai

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

Words can not explain how much I HATE coconut oil.

First, let's start off with the smell. It's disgusting. It doesn't smell anything like fresh coconuts, it smells like nasty, oily, old, musty coconuts and I know for fact my jar was not rancid because I've tried several from several different brands and different stores. They're all the same. They smell like mounds bars. Musty, oily mounds bars. My mom once tried to cook with this stuff, it smelled so gross she just threw out the dish. The smell alone is bad enough to make me hate this stuff but it gets worse.

Ok, so I tried REALLY hard to find a use for this "all-purpose miracle oil" and let me tell you about all the ways it failed:

Hair: I tried using this as a pre-shampoo treatment and a leave in. As a leave in, it was horrible, which didn't really surprise me. I mean, straight up oil in my hair? As you can probably guess, it was a greasy, nasty mess. But what I didn't expect was for it to suck so much as a pre-shampoo treatment. I'm no stranger to pre-shampoo oil treatments, in fact I do them a lot because they're usually fantastic. I've used Ojon, olive oil, and Leonor Greyl oil and they were all great, so really, how could coconut oil go wrong? Well it did. It dried the crap out of my hair. My hair is mostly straight, and normally pretty soft, but after using coconut oil it was dry, frizzy, wiry, just awful, AND I noticed more split ends. Now because I was dedicated to making coconut oil work (and also dumb) I didn't try this once, or twice, but dozens of times. I tried leaving it in for 15 minutes, overnight, figuring it had to work eventually, right? Wrong.

Makeup remover: Smudgy, nasty mess that left my eyes burning, stinging, and blurry. Never again. Not even for science.

Face: Not much to say other than insta-cystic acne. Fortunately, I was smart enough to not try it on my face ever again.

Teeth: Yup, I tried oil pulling. Complete, utter, bs. Does it whiten? Sure, it removes the immediate surface stains that you get right after drinking coffee, soda, or wine, but brushing your teeth does that too. It does nothing for the deeper stains, and trust me, I stuck to a twice-daily regimen for two months hoping for it to work, but nada. Not to mention, it was disgusting. And always left me with a dry mouth, which can't be good for your teeth.

And after all this experimentation, what was I rewarded with? A FREAKING COCONUT ALLERGY. YUP. As you might know, repeated exposure to something can result in an allergy, and that is exactly what happened to me. I tried one last time to find a use for it as a body oil, and what happened? My legs broke out in hives. Itchy, painful hives. Now I swear I can smell someone who has been using coconut oil from a mile away, and it makes me gag. I don't know how this managed to get the reputation of miracle oil but it just goes to show that the mind is a powerful thing. I guess mine isn't though, because despite years of trying to convince myself this stuff has to be good for something, here I am writing this review.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/24/2014 11:01:00 AM More reviews by OrangeUGlad

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've heard that coconut oil is a hit or miss for a lot of people. Some people swear by it, while others just break out. I'm one of the latter. Post awkward teen years, my skin is relatively normal. It's not oily, or dry, or acne prone. I sometimes get a pimple or two if I go too hard on the cashews and almonds, but other than that it's just average. So the other day I found some oils sitting around in a drawer. They weren't expired or anything, and were meant for cosmetic/hair use. So, I decided to give the coconut oil a try. I dabbed a little bit on my face where I would normally put moisturizer (t-zone and on the corners of my eyes and lips). It felt "okay" at best. Nothing life changing. Later that night I took a trip down memory lane and broke out on my forehead, above my right eyebrow. Yikes! I haven't felt the need to do any anti-acne treatment in years, so I didn't have anything specific to put on it. I just washed my face with water, tried to get off the rest with toner, and moisturized with my normal stuff. It was gone the next morning, but it gave me quite a scare. So, once again I've failed to test out a new product before slathering it on my face.
Coconut oil imho smells really nice, and I'd hate for it to go to waste, so I'll probably give it a shot as a body/hair product and update this review. But for now, the best I can give this is a 2/5.
I know this is kinda a "duh" thing for all you wonderful beauty/skincare addicts out there, but make sure you test this stuff (or any stuff, for that matter) out before putting it on your face.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2014 5:12:00 PM More reviews by fakingittillimakeit

So I will start off with what my skin and hair were like before this product,
Ethnicity: indian
Hair: long, processed, dry, wavy, dry(crunchy) weather related dandruff.
Skin: hypersenitive, numerous allergies, eczema, dry patches, dark scars from all of the above. I mean crusty dark ugly spotty scars alll over ladies
Face: dry, acne during pms, also scared.
BASICALLY LADIES IM A BIG, HOT STEAMY PILE OF MESS.
Well not so much anymore
Product used : BETTER BODY EXTRA VIRGIN COCONUT OIL.
Results? AMA-frikken-ZING!
Uses: hot oil treatment/ hair mask. Daily lotion, for cracked heels, dry hands, scars, dandruff, cuticle oil, dry knuckles, in between toes, body scrub (mix with sugar, use before soaping plan on scrubbing tub), dry crusty elbows. To shave legs,
As a hot oil treatment, I put it in a clean old dye bottle with a spoon cause it is solid under 76 degrees. Place squirt bottle in a coffee mug of boiling water. Let it get warm. Section hair, start at the the scalp if you have dandruff, this always goes on dry, product free hair. Massage scalp and work down to ends start from the back of the head to the front. You wanna look like a wet cat. Tie hair in a bun and wrap your head with plastic wrap put on an old snug winter hat and go about your day even sleep with it. The hat keeps any oil off clothes and furniture and keeps the hair warm to absorb the oil. Wash twice gently with shampoo. If it still feels oily thats okay the conditioner will help get it out too. Condition and air dry
Skin: replaces lotion, lasts longer, softens patches, crusty elbows, stretchmarks, you name it! Use this product ABUSE this product! Oh and if your pet has hair balls a teaspoon everyother day helps them pass it easily, painlessly and in the litter. Not in thw middle of th kitchen at your dinner party

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2014 4:41:00 PM More reviews by Lauraasti

I'm glad I started using this! It's definitely helped improve my skin by leaps and bounds. I've never gotten an official diagnosis for eczema, but my mother and sisters have it and I have very dry, scaly, itchy spots on various parts of my body. That, combined with the colder than usual winter my area has been experiencing, my skin has been a mess and lotion just wasn't cutting it. I bought the Nutiva brand in the organic aisle at my local grocery-extra virgin, cold-pressed and unrefined is the kind you want! Otherwise, you won't get the full benefits of this stuff. It's a little pricey, but a jar should last a while. It comes completely solid, but will melt around 76 degrees, or when your skin touches it. I recommend using a spoon to scoop it out, to avoid messes. Also! This isn't really something to use all over your body just before work or going out--it takes a while to absorb. I used this 3 days in a row before going back to my regular lotion and the results have been great. I bring the jar into the bathroom when I shower, that way the steam helps it loosen a bit. When I get out of the shower, I pat dry and then begin applying the oil. It smells so good! Not artificial coconut like we're used to and which I hate! I scrape out a teaspoon-full at a time, rub my hands to melt it (it's a little drippy!) then apply it from my shoulders to my feet. It doesn't absorb quickly, so I take extra time to rub it on my skin and then put on a light robe to hang out in before getting dressed. Every 15-20 minutes or so, I rub everywhere the oil is again, to try and help it absorb a little more. Usually about an hour or so, I get bored and get dressed. My skin feels great the next day! Not overly soft like it gets with silicone-packed lotion, but strong, healthy, hydrated skin. And my dry patches improved with each use. More delicate areas of my skin, such as my inner arms, we're silky smooth though. After 3 days, I started using my silicone-free lotion in place of the oil and my skin has never felt better and the dry patches have disappeared. I use the oil once a week now just for good measure and I'm so pleased. It can get tedious, but it's worth it!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2014 2:27:00 PM More reviews by mumcanyou

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

My lovely Auntie introduced me to the wonders of coconut oil when I was 18. I am now 50 and it is still a staple in my bathroom.

My biggest use is as a deep hair treatment.
I wash my and hair towel dry to get rid of the dripping and slather this on.
Don a shower cap and wrap the whole lot in a towel and watch a movie, wax my legs, do house work, whatever but for at least an hour.

I'm always pleased that I've taken the time to do this.

I don't love it as a body treatment - too hard to use sparingly when its solid and too runny when its melted (as it often does during summer).
But it is a great under sock overnight foot treatment.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2014 5:22:00 PM More reviews by dgz3120

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

ok, so with this harsh windy winter, my poor face has been horribly dry, even stings a little. So i come here and search for a good product to use. Ive wanted to try coconut oil for a while. So i just went down to my local walmart in the cooking section and all they had at the moment was the Louanns pure coconut oil. I bought a small container to just try it out. My face soaked up the oil like it was dying of thirst. It was a little greasy at first but i let it sit and it soaked right in, and the next morning, my sking felt and looked so much better. Im on day 5 of using this every night, and my face no longer feels tight, it feels smooth and supple and looks moist. Even my makeup is no longer cakey. I say try it out. Side note: a little goes a long way.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2014 5:11:00 PM More reviews by LoveTheShinyAisle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I love using this as a leave in conditioner, i have fine hair with dry ends that get very dry and damaged at work so when I'm home i might put this in once or twice a week or when i go to the beach but out at work i put it in every second day ( only on the ends of my hair or else my scalp would be a grease ball after 1 day), it makes my hair soft and smell of the proper coconut smell not the artificial overly sweet stuff. I also eat it as a supplement and cook with it because If i used it only in my hair it would go rancid before id finished a jar =).